Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Released] Local Specialties (Update 17 - 04 - 2013!)

Icon2 [Released] Local Specialties (Update 17 - 04 - 2013!)

17-04-2013 Update: Here comes "version 2", ninja-updated after a very very long time.

This new version fixes the issue with not being able to destroy specialty buildings. Now you can destroy them! That's all, really.

This only includes a version that enables all the buildings. If you want one that only enables some of them, you could try to mod it yourself, or send me a PM / make sure I see it somehow. I doubt I'll be paying close attention to this thread for long.

Hey there!

I suck at this post-formatting thing, especially with "official" posts like this, and particularly when the input box is this small, so please bear with me for now.

This submod is simple: It gives you the ability to build province specialty buildings (such as holy sites, ninja villages, craftwork buildings, etc.) inside settlements. A mod like this already existed out there for vanilla Shogun2, and this mod is probably also compatible with pretty much any mod that doesn't alter buildings too much.

However, I use this with Darthmod, and making a thread for this in the main modding forum felt inappropriate and somewhat daunting for a mod this small.

Mines and such are not included in the buildings you can make. This mod applies to all three campaigns (i.e. it works for Vanilla, RotS and FotS).

The second file is a version of the mod that doesn't include any resource-producing buildings, leaving four specialty buildings for each campaign that you can build inside any town.

If someone wants a version that includes mines, and allows building basically all specialty buildings anywhere, just say so. It's neither particularly difficult nor time-consuming to make this mod, when you already have the tools and already know how.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaFranker; April 17, 2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Made thread title more conform to TWC standards. Oops.

Default Re: [Released] Local Specialties

Question - Will this let me construct railroads that'll connect to nearby provinces if they have the railroad station up also?

Quote Originally Posted by W4lt3r View Post
    Question - Will this let me construct railroads that'll connect to nearby provinces if they have the railroad station up also?
    No, it won't.

Unfortunately, that's currently impossible with the tools we have. Railroads are fixed map objects, and we cannot edit the maps.

What's more, even if we *could* edit the map, we'd still need to add dummy railroad resource points, bindings, junctions and a bunch of other stuff I can't even fully understand to every single province on the map, with so much lua scripting it would make my head explode to finally bring it all together and actually work dynamically like that.

Believe me, dynamic railroads would the first thing I'd do if I even remotely could.

EDIT: Or at least... I think so?

I just had a completely insane idea, and now I'm going to try it. Wish me hell. (because hellspawn are more likely to grant me success here than luck)
    Last edited by DaFranker; April 01, 2012 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranker View Post
    No, it won't.

Unfortunately, that's currently impossible with the tools we have. Railroads are fixed map objects, and we cannot edit the maps.

What's more, even if we *could* edit the map, we'd still need to add dummy railroad resource points, bindings, junctions and a bunch of other stuff I can't even fully understand to every single province on the map, with so much lua scripting it would make my head explode to finally bring it all together and actually work dynamically like that.

Believe me, dynamic railroads would the first thing I'd do if I even remotely could.

I just had a completely insane idea, and now I'm going to try it. Wish me hell. (because hellspawn are more likely to grant me success here than luck)
    luck with what?

brilliant, now I can stop using the same 5 or 6 provinces for most campaigns
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

Thanks, sounds like a brilliant mod, will try it out. Although the rush to provinces like Kaga or Echizen was rather funny ^^ Everybody wants good equipment ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Anjin-San View Post
    Thanks, sounds like a brilliant mod, will try it out. Although the rush to provinces like Kaga or Echizen was rather funny ^^ Everybody wants good equipment ^^
    Funny perhaps, but unsurprising when you give a province bonuses to base unit stats like that.
    ----------------------
    Shameless DarthMod Fanatic

crunchyfrog's Avatar Semisalis

I never liked the idea that the upgraded towers, matchlock, gatling and artillary towers take up a whole building slot.

Is it possible to create a "local specialty/natural ressource" slot for each region which is reserved for towers?

Quote Originally Posted by crunchyfrog View Post
    I never liked the idea that the upgraded towers, matchlock, gatling and artillary towers take up a whole building slot.

Is it possible to create a "local specialty/natural ressource" slot for each region which is reserved for towers?
    Good idea. I'll look into it, but I doubt it's possible to create new slots.

An alternative, however, would be to "merge" the tower upgrades into the Castle line, so that each castle can either be upgraded to the next level but keeping the current towers, or upgraded to the same-level castle but including the next level of towers. This would obviously require creation of several new buildings, but it's an adequate solution and might even get the AI to build better defenses this way.

(they currently rarely use the towers, even more rarely than I do - and I've used them *once* because they just don't cut it when instead I can have more money buildings that give me more income to support more troops - the added income from just one market line is enough to build way more units than the towers are worth)

To get the towers automatically upgraded in castles, one would have to create 3 new versions of the current castles.
    One with matchlocks.
    One with gatlings.
    one with the gun battery towers.

Pretty sure it's doable though.. As soon as you get the tech, you've gained the same tower type in all your castles.
    Maybe with this, the AI would make them. (Yet to see any upgraded towers in AI towns. Only ran into Star Fort three times, and even then I just sieged the place)

No, it won't.

I don't know if you're still working on this, but I certainly wish you luck. And you're working on some absolutely excellent ideas. I like the idea of towers integrated into castles, it's a lot better than the current system.
    I salute those who took the Hungarian Phrasebook simply because of the quote!

Well, I'm not technically still "working on it", but it's still on my to-do list. Problem is, that list is giant, and includes such things as finding cures for cancer and solving polymorphic metamathematical equations for optimizing my Artificial Intelligence algorithm.

In all seriousness, I haven't actually played much Shogun 2 in the past few days (read: I haven't even started up the game in five days), so I've literally done more modding and bug-hunting than any kind of playing. It also doesn't help that Darth is ridiculously awesome and is releasing new versions and hotfixes faster than I could possibly finish all of my submod ideas (dayjob, sleep, and other time constraints).

Basically, the current status quo is to wait until more and more of the kinks and quirks of the recent FotS (and related patches) are figured and ironed out, and a more "stable" (read: less volatile and not prone to being obsolete and replaced by a new one two days later) version of DMS is released. Once I know I've got something more solid to work on, I'll start jumping in a bit more to work on the several submods I've already noted.

There are also a bunch of script-related mods I'd like to do, but I haven't yet quite figured out where to actually find the relevant already-existing scripts in the game to compare and learn from.

im playiing fots love the idea is their anyway to either restrict it to only the human player or insted to make it so thouse building can be destroyed, seems the ai builds either a blacksmith or a temple in each province witch would be fine but you cant destoy it when you take it over so thats one slot permaenlty locked down that you could be using for somthing eles.

so if their anyway to make it so only human player can build the extra stuff or to make it so that the building can be destoryed that would be awsome,

heheh upon now playing for quite a bit seems the ai will fill the open slot with any of those witch means its permantly locked down ,i saw one place that had a 2 blacksmiths and a temple lol no troop building no nothing just thosue buildings, i think if you can make it so thouse buildings can be destroyed that would be awsome

would it be possible to fix the limits so you can build a city full of smith's for example ?
    i had a mod like that for normal shogun 2 and loved it =)

MightyMouse's Avatar Laetus

The AI continues to make stupid things in their provinces like the claypits and matchaplants. its really kind of obnoxious and is killing my gaming experience. sadface

Yeah, I agree. This is theoretically an awesome mod that would SIGNIFICANTLY improve my game-play experience.

But the fact that the buildings are non-destructible is IMO game-breaking (or perhaps "mod-breaking?").

Yeah, I've come across the issue myself previously and thought that was the first thing I needed to work on.

Unfortunately, I've been too busy with unrelated matters to really work on anything for Shogun 2 mods. Just keeping up with the various forums I read is barely possible with my free time at the moment. I expect I'll have a chance to implement some of my todo-list for shogun 2 mods within two weeks or so.

Broke1980's Avatar Civis
    My happy little world, buried inside french Canada

Unfortunately, I've been too busy with unrelated matters to really work on anything for Shogun 2 mods. Just keeping up with the various forums I read is barely possible with my free time at the moment. I expect I'll have a chance to implement some of my todo-list for shogun 2 mods within two weeks or so.

Dude...
    When your personnal life is keeping you away from Shogun..... Dump your personnal life!

Great mod by the way! I play with it all the time.
    Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Broke1980 View Post
    Dude...
    When your personnal life is keeping you away from Shogun..... Dump your personnal life!

Great mod by the way! I play with it all the time.
    Keep it up!
    Haha, yeah!

I wish I could dump my life. Unfortunately, the human race depends on my pathological aversion to humility and sheer unbridled genius in order to survive. Must bring about a technological singularity before politicians and money doom us all...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast