Thread: Maximum recruitment slots

Default Maximum recruitment slots

What is the maximum number of recruitment slots possible? Is the +1 to recruitment slot for each castle upgrade accumulative or is the maximum only 2 units that can be recruited each time?

Default Re: Maximum recruitment slots

I have 4 in my main city, so at least 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    I have 4 in my main city, so at least 4.
    Thanks for the info. Does it mean if I upgrade to citadel (besides your capital), the maximum number of units that can be recruited each time is 3?

Quote Originally Posted by fws2468 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Does it mean if I upgrade to citadel (besides your capital), the maximum number of units that can be recruited each time is 3?
    Been a while since I played the vanilla game, but in FotS it's +1 per basic recruitment building, so the basic recruitment slot is 1, then +1 for modern units recruitment building, +1 for siege units recruitment building, and +1 for traditional units recruitment building, for 4 in total.

Don't think you can have more than that.

I do not think it necessarily works like that because I only have the standard single recruitment, a barracks for modern units, a dojo and police station. They are all however upgraded, I just don't know which upgrade contributed to my +4 exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Been a while since I played the vanilla game, but in FotS it's +1 per basic recruitment building, so the basic recruitment slot is 1, then +1 for modern units recruitment building, +1 for siege units recruitment building, and +1 for traditional units recruitment building, for 4 in total.

Don't think you can have more than that.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I was referring to fots. I'm still wondering if upgrading to the highest castle level (star fort) will allow more than 4 recruitment slots seeing that recruitment capacity is a feature in the castle chain. Also, the greyed out recruitment slots seem to imply that more than 4 slots is possible, assuming the castle chain adds slots separately from the recruitment buildings. Is it really possible?

i had an event where i could pick between +50 income or +1 recruitment slots in all cities for 6 turns so i guess 5 is possible with this event

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Yes, I was referring to fots. I'm still wondering if upgrading to the highest castle level (star fort) will allow more than 4 recruitment slots seeing that recruitment capacity is a feature in the castle chain. Also, the greyed out recruitment slots seem to imply that more than 4 slots is possible, assuming the castle chain adds slots separately from the recruitment buildings. Is it really possible?
    Well, I have a fully upgraded 'military' city in my game, in a region with an armory, and it has every military building with a fully upgraded fort and city, and it only has 4. Maybe there are some other buildings that add recruitment that I haven't noticed, but as far as I can tell 4 is the highest you can get without special events, as mentioned by Pesticide.

Makes me wonder if the events could stack... the maximum amount of queueable units at any given time is 6, so if you got enough events you could get more recruitment slots than you could queue units

Gaizokubanou's Avatar Biarchus
    United States, New Jersey (That's East Coast)

5 for capital, 4 for other provinces.

As Pesticide said, there are some events that gives you +1 recruitment. One of them was abolishment of swords, which has a chance of producing funny side effect of people joining army to bear arms.

Thanks all for solving the mystery. Although I'll want to maximise the available recruitment slots by building only military buildings in one province, the resources favouring recruitment of certain unit types are still in separate locations. Like iron smelter or something reducing artillery recruitment costs. So there's this trade off there between maximising slots and cost efficiency. Looks like I can't have both!

Thanks all for solving the mystery. Although I'll want to maximise the available recruitment slots by building only military buildings in one province, the resources favouring recruitment of certain unit types are still in separate locations. Like iron smelter or something reducing artillery recruitment costs. So there's this trade off there between maximising slots and cost efficiency. Looks like I can't have both!
    It is worth pointing out that those buildings also reduce the cost globally of those units. Of course, you'd need I think 3 of them to get the same discount as the province they belong in. And by that point, that province would be getting a 30% discount...

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    It is worth pointing out that those buildings also reduce the cost globally of those units. Of course, you'd need I think 3 of them to get the same discount as the province they belong in. And by that point, that province would be getting a 30% discount...
    Yes, I think the max discount is -15 recruitment cost in the same province and -5 across the other provinces. But it's not always that towns with the same resource would be near each other for me to capture them and get the discounts immediately. I also don't think I'd be recruiting much from any individual town as the frontline gets further away. Maybe railroads might help, but I'll have to research that first.
    Last edited by fws2468; March 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM.

Yes, I think the max discount is -15 recruitment cost in the same province and -5 across the other provinces. But it's not always that towns with the same resource would be near each other for me to capture them and get the discounts immediately. I also don't think I'd be recruiting much from any individual town as the frontline gets further away. Maybe railroads might help, but I'll have to research that first.
    That's just how Shogun 2 rolls. Railroads do however, help immensely. A big problem is if the AI holds a railway as they, unlike a human player, do not prioritize railroads. Which makes sense - they don't have a victory condition, so why should they worry about getting their troops somewhere a few turns sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    That's just how Shogun 2 rolls. Railroads do however, help immensely. A big problem is if the AI holds a railway as they, unlike a human player, do not prioritize railroads. Which makes sense - they don't have a victory condition, so why should they worry about getting their troops somewhere a few turns sooner?
    I'm not sure about the minor clans, but I think the major AI clans should have victory conditions of their own. Speaking of priority, the AI in the original Shogun 2 does a good job of upgrading their buildings, so I'd assume they'll have upgraded their recruitment slots as well in fots to match the human player.

I'm not sure about the minor clans, but I think the major AI clans should have victory conditions of their own. Speaking of priority, the AI in the original Shogun 2 does a good job of upgrading their buildings, so I'd assume they'll have upgraded their recruitment slots as well in fots to match the human player.
    They do that yes, but they don't prioritize a railroad like a human player will. The AI's "victory condition" is pretty simple - don't let the human player win. A human player gets a railroad "Resource" and is likely to immediately work on getting the tech, or money, to upgrade it.

An AI will get it, shrug, and focus on its military. I'd say their economic power, but we all know how the AI just sets the Taxes to "Very High" and completely ruins all their town's value.

The only provinces that should focus on military production are the ones with Gunsmiths.

The -15% Artillery/Modern Unit recruitment cost reduction can't be compared to +20 Accuracy.
    Also the final upgrades to those buildings give clan-wide -5% discounts so focusing on military production in those provinces becomes even less useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimconte View Post
    The only provinces that should focus on military production are the ones with Gunsmiths.

The -15% Artillery/Modern Unit recruitment cost reduction can't be compared to +20 Accuracy.
    Also the final upgrades to those buildings give clan-wide -5% discounts so focusing on military production in those provinces becomes even less useful.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

The difference between normal and VH/Legendary might be this. You MUST have your army produced from the gunsmith provinces. Add a firing range to it, some attached foreign veterans with the respective reload and accurace upgrades, and with a single stack you can easily hold off any 4 stacks at a time, seriously. Hell, if the game told me I could permanently trade any 3 pronvinces for one with a gunsmith, I'll do in a heartbit, provided that I don't have enough already.