Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: BSM for Shogun 2 & Fall of the Samurai v1.2 and BSM v1.2 for Darthmod 4.1 (update 29.05.12 - Watersplash fixes)

Ordinarius

Default Re: Battlefield Smoke Mod for Shogun 2

Hi Smokers!

Here is my new improvement. The video shows the explosion effects of naval battle support. I hope you like the huge smoke clouds.

best regards
    Mech_Donald

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mech_Donald View Post
    Hi Smokers!

Here is my new improvement. The video shows the explosion effects of naval battle support. I hope you like the huge smoke clouds.

best regards
    Mech_Donald
    Badass smoke!

Naval bombardments are looking a lot nicer.

However, I think the smoke looks a little "billboardy" if you know what i mean.

Just out of curiosity, is this a limitation of the textures and engine Shogun uses?

I Don't mean to insult your work but it seems to be that your smoke mod for Napoleon looked better, to my eyes anyway.

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by agent 47 View Post
    Naval bombardments are looking a lot nicer.

However, I think the smoke looks a little "billboardy" if you know what i mean.

Just out of curiosity, is this a limitation of the textures and engine Shogun uses?

I Don't mean to insult your work but it seems to be that your smoke mod for Napoleon looked better, to my eyes anyway.
    Sorry. But i don't know what billboardy means. May you explain it for me?
    As far as i know there are the same limitations than napoleon has. It is the same engine. The only extreme bug is the "reversed z-buffer" for particle textures. All particles in front are displayd behind particles far away. That looks really disturbing.
    Last edited by Mech_Donald; April 12, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Billboard = 2D.
    Like in Doom: when you move around a 'billboard' textured object in a circle, the texture will 'rotate' with you and it will always face you in the same angle.

And great mod btw, can't wait for the release

JFC's Avatar Lieutenant

Okay Mech... Enough messing around. You can release this now. And I mean NOW.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JFC View Post
    wou wou wou ... JFC. He hasnt done yet. He still have a lot doing with this mod.

Ordinarius

Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by A Barbarian View Post
    Billboard = 2D.
    Like in Doom: when you move around a 'billboard' textured object in a circle, the texture will 'rotate' with you and it will always face you in the same angle.

And great mod btw, can't wait for the release

Ah yes, i understand what this means. Of course, also the particle effects textures in empire, napoleon and shogun are always facing the camera. You can also turn it off, but doing so is not a good option! In this case you'll have a flat texture "standing" on the field of glory. When you turn the camera arround, it'll look like a flat paper - not good.
    But don't worry. The smoke clouds in this game and also altered or made by myself aren't flat, billboardy like effects. You can turn the cam arround and you've a simulation of volumetric smoke clouds. In my short preview videos, i set the camera to a fix point in the szene to get a good view of the effects without any disturbing or distracting camera effects. You should see the pure special effect, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by JFC View Post
    I'm not messing arround. As ♔Noif♔ said, my mod is far away to be "ready for release". There are some effects i want to add or improve. Some created effects needs to be adjusted. I don't want to release an unfinished work.

best regards
    Mech_Donald

Are the new muzzle flashes and explosion flashes your work or an update by CA?

I haven't had a chance to play lately since my graphics card died.

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by agent 47 View Post
    Are the new muzzle flashes and explosion flashes your work or an update by CA?

I haven't had a chance to play lately since my graphics card died.
    The textures are still CA's work. But the appearence is my rework.

Ordinarius

Hi!

I work on naval effects now. There are some problems with effects i couldn't modify. But i have overworked the effects of explosion shell of naval cannons, water hit splash and torpedo explosions. Just have a look on this short preview video.

As you can see, the explosion of torpedos is more long lasting with more water. I don't know how strong torpedo explosions of this era were, but i think this should nearly fit.

Best regards and a happy weekend
    Mech_Donald

Senator

the water looks like its come out of thing air. just doesnt look right imo but to each his own.

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

Looks great seems like a bit to much water though =P those torpedoes dont really have 500kg explosive charges so it would look better with a "bit" less water ^^

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by mattebubben View Post
    Looks great seems like a bit to much water though =P those torpedoes dont really have 500kg explosive charges so it would look better with a "bit" less water ^^
    Thank you for the hint! I'll rework it to have bit less water and not such a huge fountain. My orientation on the water fountain was based on the vanilla effect and i had no other clue what a torpedo explosion looks like of this era.

After that, i alter the ship explosion effects. Then, my mod goes for internal beta testing. Hopefully there will be no errors, so i can release it quickly. I think at the end of this week or next week i can release this now.

Best regards
    Mech_Donald

I think at the end of this week or next week i can release this now.
    Good to know its nearly ready!! will it be compatible with Darth-mod, do you know?

Content Emeritus

After that, i alter the ship explosion effects. Then, my mod goes for internal beta testing. Hopefully there will be no errors, so i can release it quickly. I think at the end of this week or next week i can release this now.

Best regards
    Mech_Donald
    I will waiting that day when it come out

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by AlienBurns View Post
    Good to know its nearly ready!! will it be compatible with Darth-mod, do you know?
    First, it'll be not compatible with Darthmod as long as Darthmod has altered landbattle.xml, particle tables, projectile tables, projectile impact tables or projectile explosions tables. But i can make it compatible if i have the permission from darth to adapt his files. Or he can do it. I'll ask him when BSM for Fots is released.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Noif♔ View Post
    I will waiting that day when it come out
    Yea, thanks - me to. I want to play FOTS or Shogun 2 finally!

Best regards
    Mech_Donald

Content Emeritus

Yea, thanks - me to. I want to play FOTS or Shogun 2 finally!
    If FOTS, then you can try my mods for FOTS above my signature. These are deadly combinate with your smoke-mod.

Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Noif♔ View Post
    If FOTS, then you can try my mods for FOTS above my signature. These are deadly combinate with your smoke-mod. :suprise:
    Are these retuxtures historically accurate? Then i will try it definitely out!

Content Emeritus

Are these retuxtures historically accurate? Then i will try it definitely out!
    Not yet, those historical retextures are still begin of researching and I have made couple tests. Having problems with .dds files.

Here is test picture:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: