Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 1-turn - should it be like this?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 1-turn - should it be like this?

RR is right in this case, the SE certainly were not as weak as you seem to think they are at the time of the game start.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

We made them strong enough to hold their own for a while, but historically, as was stated, the Selecuids were on their last gasp. Antiochus III was trying to hold a vast Empire together by himself.....while being betrayed, attacked on the other side of his empire while he dealt with trouble thousands of miles away...he was 'the Great' for a reason, because he heroically held together an empire that was dying. After him, the whole thing fizzled slowly out of existence.

Believe me, it is a minor miracle we don't now have what was once called 'the grey monster' in the east (Seleucid gobbling up the map), or a faction that just crumbles in a few years. It is extremely difficult to create a balance between all those factions in the east, especially when you have two of them you WANT to expand south as they did (Armenia and Parthia), and one that can ONLY expand north and was always at war with Seleucid (the Ptolemies). Throw Pontus and Pergamon in there, who both want to go south and east (all of this intentional, mind you), and you have a pressure cooker situation where one huge faction is pressed on all sides by six little ones. All it takes is for one or the other of them to win one key battle, and the whole area is destabilized and Seleucid either declines or starts to steamroll.

Another problem in that region is in fact created by the historical situation itself.....there are very, very few 'slave' faction held regions in that area. So there are no buffer regions, no good instances of factions not bordering each other. Within a few years, everyone is in everyone's back yard. It only adds to the problem, whereas in Europe there is more open space.

Yet another issue is the fact that the game mechanics don't allow Seleucid to be portrayed as an Empire with quite a few big cities. We did give them walls where we could, but if you make all their settlements big enough for walls, they make too much money. And if they make too much money without having to spend it, they steamroll the east.

Seleucid has TWO capitals that give them a large tax bonus in case they lose one. They have larger tax bonuses in those cities than any faction. They have a special 'trade AOR' that was set up just for them, and they start with more money than anyone.
    All of this to create a situation where the balance over there hangs on a thread, and depends on who wins a few battles, or loses them, or who loses a key city or not.

I'd have to admit that we chose to favor 'decline' over 'steamrolling'....in otherwords, were content with the way it is now. I've seen hundreds of reports and tests regarding their performance, and I'd have to say they are probably 60\40 in terms of 'decline\steamroll'.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Yet another issue is the fact that the game mechanics don't allow Seleucid to be portrayed as an Empire with quite a few big cities. We did give them walls where we could, but if you make all their settlements big enough for walls, they make too much money. And if they make too much money without having to spend it, they steamroll the east.
    Ah, I always wondered why alot of those cities in the east were wall-less for so long. Including their capitals.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    We made them strong enough to hold their own for a while, but historically, as was stated, the Selecuids were on their last gasp. Antiochus III was trying to hold a vast Empire together by himself.....while being betrayed, attacked on the other side of his empire while he dealt with trouble thousands of miles away...he was 'the Great' for a reason, because he heroically held together an empire that was dying. After him, the whole thing fizzled slowly out of existence.

Believe me, it is a minor miracle we don't now have what was once called 'the grey monster' in the east (Seleucid gobbling up the map), or a faction that just crumbles in a few years. It is extremely difficult to create a balance between all those factions in the east, especially when you have two of them you WANT to expand south as they did (Armenia and Parthia), and one that can ONLY expand north and was always at war with Seleucid (the Ptolemies). Throw Pontus and Pergamon in there, who both want to go south and east (all of this intentional, mind you), and you have a pressure cooker situation where one huge faction is pressed on all sides by six little ones. All it takes is for one or the other of them to win one key battle, and the whole area is destabilized and Seleucid either declines or starts to steamroll.

Another problem in that region is in fact created by the historical situation itself.....there are very, very few 'slave' faction held regions in that area. So there are no buffer regions, no good instances of factions not bordering each other. Within a few years, everyone is in everyone's back yard. It only adds to the problem, whereas in Europe there is more open space.

Seleucid has TWO capitals that give them a large tax bonus in case they lose one. They have larger tax bonuses in those cities than any faction. They have a special 'trade AOR' that was set up just for them, and they start with more money than anyone.
    All of this to create a situation where the balance over there hangs on a thread, and depends on who wins a few battles, or loses them, or who loses a key city or not.

I'd have to admit that we chose to favor 'decline' over 'steamrolling'....in otherwords, were content with the way it is now. I've seen hundreds of reports and tests regarding their performance, and I'd have to say they are probably 60\40 in terms of 'decline\steamroll'.
    All due respect - and I mean it - but I think you guys didn't test the folding out of enough campaigns. Intentional decline is one thing...but sadly they get steamrolled and don't gradually decline. Due to the lack of infrastructure, the East is basically impossible to hold. You also grossly underestimated the strength of the opposing factions, especially in their unit department and lack of other enemies to attack. The Seleucids can win heroic battles all the time, which is often the case in my campaigns...but they can't stem the tsunami (not tide) that hits them too hard. I also find that the Ptolomey's also tend to expand and create a ridiculously huge empire because the Seleucids are kicked out of the game too early.
    Honestly, one might think that if you gave them a leg up call it 50/50 or not even that, you may see some drastic improvements and there would actually be a gradual decline/stalement (at least on a few fronts)

I have also checked countless scripts (per turn) to see money being pumped in to no avail. I'm not entirely sure what they do with it but such is the AI. Maybe the AI Seleucids need more money at game start? ...since they tend to commit to one front while the rest falls with few battles.

Either way, whatever perks they currently have just aren't enough.
    Last edited by RafoutRoud; May 20, 2012 at 12:40 PM.

I would suggest a Seleucid discussion probably belongs elsewhere...

They are still alive and kicking in this campaign - see piccies.

Primo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

When I noted earlier that the Seleucids are nearly gone, I hadn't expected this discussion to take place ...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Vader View Post
    When I noted earlier that the Seleucids are nearly gone, I hadn't expected this discussion to take place ...
    Go to page 5.....the discussion was a result of what I was saying there, not what you said.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

The real super power of the East must be Parthians! The Parthians are the Great Eternal Enemy of Rome! The Parthians defeated the poor moron Crassus! Again the Parthians humiliated Marcus Antonius! When Rome reach East the real enemy are the Arsacids! The Arsacids wanted the Mediterranean coasts and ports, they wanted Antioch, they wantwed Jerusalem, and they wanted all Anatolia for them!
    The Seleucids belong to the past! They cannot stop the Persian expansion! the Persians are Mordor!...Seleucids are nothing!

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    I would suggest a Seleucid discussion probably belongs elsewhere...

They are still alive and kicking in this campaign - see piccies.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by RafoutRoud View Post
    Go to page 5.....the discussion was a result of what I was saying there, not what you said.
    So you're responsible for this thread going off topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    The real super power of the East must be Parthians! The Parthians are the Great Eternal Enemy of Rome! The Parthians defeated the poor moron Crassus! Again the Parthians humiliated Marcus Antonius! When Rome reach East the real enemy are the Arsacids! The Arsacids wanted the Mediterranean coasts and ports, they wanted Antioch, they wantwed Jerusalem, and they wanted all Anatolia for them!
    The Seleucids belong to the past! They cannot stop the Persian expansion! the Persians are Mordor!...Seleucids are nothing!
    Historically true, but afterall, it was the Romans who dealt the 'death blow', not Parthia. They just built the coffin.

But all of this is off topic, so I'll open a thread elsewhere for this, because it does involve, somewhat, our future plans for this mod.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

600 to 610 AUC

[Period with one or two test glitches, the main one of which was my choice to make that Caesar chappie the Heir and subsequently Faction Leader; it looks as though I did that on the same turn that I got the extant Faction Leader to a Roman Fortress to institute Ph2 of the Reforms (596AUC) and he missed gaining an essential trait. Now fixed, but it did mean I have some odd military promotion stuff going on that took time to track down. Post-Reforms, setting taxes to VH now also means that settlement Loyalty will suffer if done for too long – I’m now therefore fully in the mode of Medium or High Taxes, with Low of VH reserved for ‘emergencies’; this does serve to restrict income once more.]

It only took until the Winter of the first year of the decade before the looming Dacian armies took the offensive, with a triple-incursion into Northern Illyria. The biggest surprise of which was that the naughty AI cheated just a little and managed to bring Siege Rams with them, assaulting the Easternmost of the 3 forts covering the Northern river crossings immediately and then hiking off towards the final fort defending the last Eastern river crossing, which was also attacked from the ‘East’. After the initial attacks were beaten off the decade has been punctuated by a whole series of battles, where the Roman forces have now come up against the very nasty Dacian Falx and Rhompeia and the large, although luckily not too many, units of Scythian and Roxolani and the dismounted archers. The only main surprise has been that most of these battles have been offensive in nature as the Dacians seem content to mill around the border area whilst they build up troops, attacking them to keep the numbers under control.

The raising of the new legions was begun gently, with the raising of a few troops to start providing replacements for the existing forces. This did allow, however, the raising of the new standards and thus begin the glorious careers of those legions. Thus the Vexillum of the I Germanica took responsibility for N Italy, whilst that of the XIII Gemina for Illyria. As previously mentioned, however, it was the ability to raise the X Gemina, under V I Caesar’s leadership that was to guide Rome’s destiny for the next phase. Previous experiences of the alternate reality had seen the Romans advance West and then down into Spain, but, given the current situation this was decided against, although being able to open up a second front against the Gallaeci would have been useful.

The new legion could therefore allow either an attack into Pannonia, or south down the Dalmatian coastline into Greece and the recovery of Dyrrachium, lost those many years ago. The Pannonian area was considered too large to try and control, so the decision was made. Shipped over to the staging point south of Salonae, the X Gemina began their offensive. Dyrrachium was taken, followed soon after by Apollonia and finally Edessa; establishing new provinces in Greece.

The West African front should not be forgotten, however. Whilst troops were ferried over and marched up to keep the forces up to strength, a whole series of battles at the Western Bridge took place, many of them at night. Battles were long and hard fought and many went to the wire (45mins) as reinforcements were added. Paired attacks were the most difficult, of course. Eventually the Gallaeci seemed to pause and it was possible to move through and take Tingi, with the fleet’s help to transport the Siege Engine. The period ended on that front with the armies now facing each other at the Pillars of Hercules.

A slowly rising economy and the gaining of new provinces also allowed the raising of the VII Claudia. This legion then joined with the X Gemina in Greece as an opportunity presented itself. With the X Gemina able now to proceed along the coast and take Thermos, it was able to then take a defensive position at the end of the mountain range. Meanwhile the VII Claudia was then able to concentrate in the centre, establish a defensive perimeter on the river line and take Pella, Thessalonica and Pharsalus in successive years. After a couple of large battles on the defensive, after which the defeated forces retreated to Thebes, the X Gemina moved up to besiege the city.

With the I Germanica foiling the Averni incursions; the XIII Gemina standing in Illyria; the VII Claudia and X Gemina operating in Greece and then the standard of the XI Claudia arriving to face off against the Gallaeci; it was likely the next decade would see the Roman Empire start to be fully established – as well as the likely war against the Spartans, once our erstwhile allies. Other nations continue, with the Greeks still fighting back from their new and lonely base in the Crimea; taking Crete back from the Macedonians and even Euhesperides from the Ptolemies.

Very sadly this thread will have to take a pause - as I have had to restart a new campaign.

Curiously, given I don't otherwise have them (in fact it's a first of type in testing for me) I had an end-of-turn CTD that I may not be able to get past. Funnily enough it may quite possibly have been caused by choosing to make 'Caesar' my FL - but at the wrong moment, but I shall still play with that campaign a bit and try to determine why....

Either way - I'll go a little quiet whilst I process about 70-100 years and pick it up there and/or when there's a real difference. I must makes sure all the post-Reforms stuff works right...

As a parting confirmation to all budding generals, however, I would like to pass on a particular result from the 'General's testing' I was running.

It is indeed possible for a new young and innocent General to be appointed at age 21 and gain all 10* within 8 years and 20 battles.

(NB – Still Roma 1turn on M/M)

Well, I’d like to hope it’s time to return to this as, after the last sad ‘crash’, I’ve been able to complete the first 80 years once more and this time have some hope of being able to reach the 2nd Rebellion/Civil War – which we need to do to test fully.

I’d like to note that the game remains stable in testing and everything works. However, there are still tweaks needed to various things. These are ‘tweaks’ however, but they will need some careful thought and discussion, more than hours of testing – mainly due to applying probability & statistics.

The early part of the campaign was completed as before, dealing with the Rebels by bringing forces back from Spain & Greece and eventually losing those colonies and then removing Carthaginian forces from the mainland. The Rebels are significantly harder now, but time will tell. On H/H I believe there is a real chance of losing in the opening stages, so Roma is in for a definite struggle – as it should be.

Phase 1 of the Reforms (Imperial Palace at Akragas) was achieved in 580 AUC as a nice round figure. Having done it twice now at that sort of time period, I would suggest that’s a sensible earliest date as it allows the construction of several more Oppidums in Area 6 to fully support that change. It was after the normal securing of Italy below the Alps that differences started to really appear; and these will set the scene for what is about to follow.....

The Spartans stayed alive having pursued a valiant struggle against the Greeks. I always wanted to get a legion down there to support them and fight alongside (and hopefully gain a useful future base), but this was not to be as one could never be spared in time. I did, however, sink as many Greek ships as I could to help them after those ingrates broke our alliance and Surakousai was immediately taken in retribution. They declared war against Macedon eventually, which was great, but soon agreed a ceasefire; they have done similar things with the Ptolemaics and latterly Pergamon. They themselves chose to side with the Averni when they decided to attack.

The Greeks had expanded from Massalia and took Lugdunensis before the Averni did, so in prosecuting the war against the Greeks I was able to expand NW across the Alps this time, taking Eburdunon and Lugdunon, before tidying up and taking Massalia. The Averni took on the Belgae (with whom Roma is allied – their last ones) and managed to eliminate them from mainland Europa, before Roma could do anything, but they then attacked – so that unfortunate delay has been rectified.

Macedon, without any serious opposition it seems, has expanded northwards and eliminated the Dacians and, with the Bosphoron & Thracian Greeks also took out the Scythians. After a very short war the Boii have become a Protectorate of the Cimbri, but both remain relatively quiet. Pergamon has done rather nicely in Asia. Parthia has expanded and contracted and the Seleucids fight on, just having (at the time of writing) eliminated the Armenians. All factions have, on occasion, suffered their own internal rebellions, which is very nice to see for variety. There are, however, two distinct differences that have marked this campaign over the previous three commented on earlier.

Firstly, having been ejected from their ‘homelands’, I was pleased to spot the Belgae take Wales. Having properly checked up on them with a bit of fleet & spy exploration, I didn’t think they would get much further because the Native Britons (mainly Brigantes) seemed so numerous; but they are doing rather well and may even conquer the whole island. I wonder if they will long remain allies if they do...

But it’s the Carthaginians who have really surprised me and they have managed to wipe out the Gallaeci all on their own. They even moved their Capital to Carthago-Nova and latterly to Ulaca – especially after the Africa invasion took place.

As noted, Phase 1 of the Reforms was managed and Early Republican units have been replaced with Later and then Phase 2 was arranged for 607AUC. It is now 618 and the situation and changes over the last decade or so are shown on the maps below. The beauteous Imperial legions have started to be recruited and take over from the Late Republican units, although they too now have their own identity thanks to dvk’s very nice re-implementation of the Generic 1st Cohort’s naming system; thus the situation at the present time is:

- A single Veneria (raised in Roma) legion holds Illyria & Dalmatia against the Macedonian incursions and is being slowly transformed into the X Gemina
    - The Corsica (you can guess I’m sure) legion is defending the approaches to the Alps in Raetia & Noricum and in case the Cimbri decide to take advantage, whilst being morphed into the 1 Germanica, which seemed appropriate
    - The Messapiana (Tarentum) legion is operating in Central Gaul, slowly reducing the Averni after their attack, whilst becoming the VIII Augusta, whilst the other Veneria legion has already completed its transformation into the VII Claudia and has just struck South to invest Emporiae after it rebelled against Carthage again – good old chaps!
    - Meanwhile the pair of Sicanica (raised in Sicily) legions, having fought across Africa, have now crossed into Hispania and are now changing into the III Augusta and XIII Gemina, whilst they have just been joined by the XI Claudia complete, in order to prosecute the reduction, indeed liberation, of that country from the power hungry Carthaginians
    - In summary, Roma is served by 7 legions at this point and some modest garrison forces

And now – to see what happens – fingers crossed.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

616-625 AUC

I forgot to mention last time, but I’ve just been reminded once more by a third occurrence...

I have been most impressed by the Carthaginians use of siege engines for Ford/Bridge assaults. The first time it happened at the ford in western Africa I wondered what the delay in their attack was for, until the Lithobolos trundled up; then it was time to suffer and get into close action to reduce the effect. The second time I realised and spotted the Repeating Ballista early enough and managed to scramble some cavalry across to deal with it; they were so disgusted the whole force then turned and headed for home. This last time happened in Spain East of Baikor, when they were more sneaky and used the much less obvious Scorpions. They fired nicely in support of their assault.

Anyway – maps showing the progress over the last 10 years are attached, along with a representative Finance Scroll for those interested about half-way. It’s time to fall in love with the mod all over again as I start to deploy the Imperial units fully (Marian forces are slowly wasting out) – they are just so nice!
    The Vexilla of the III Gallica now leads the Marian forces up the west coast of Hispana, whilst the XIII Gemina operates on the opposite coast and threatens Baikor from the East; with the XI Claudia acting as reserve and linking force. The VII Claudia sits in the east of Ceretania preventing any Carthaginian incursions towards Gallia; meanwhile the Vexilla of V Alaudae leads a force of Salues auxiliaries in the siege of Durocorton (the Averni capital); and that of the I Germanica invests Vesontio with the remaining Marian units. Reduction of those two strongholds will reduce the Averni to the single holding of Bagacum, should they survive. Lastly the X Gemina continue to hold Illyria/Dalmatia having completed their transition; whilst VIII Augusta works up before assuming garrison duties with the planned new border with the Cimbri. A small force of Libyan auxiliaries headed up by the eagle of III Augusta, with an eye to the future, defends the African possessions.

In other parts of the world: I have been most impressed by the progression of our Belgae allies in Britannia, even fighting off a Cimbic invasion. Whilst Macedonia have internal difficulties, their Greek allies have become resurgent and pushed back the Pergamese a lot; whilst the Ptolemaics have taken advantage of their distraction and allied with Parthia to keep Seleucia busy, although they still have their own internal problems.....
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

626-635 AUC (100yrs – 59 settlements)

A relatively short report to bring things up to date – as well as noting that only one of the previous campaigns got this far and didn’t really achieve as much. So from here on in it’s going to be ‘new’.
    The final demise of the Averni occurred at the beginning of the period and the ‘classic’ border along the Rhine and Upper Danube has been established; with the VIII Augusta established to hold the former and the I Germanica, now brought to full strength and having had its post-Marian units upgraded, holds the latter. The Cimbri have been quiet and have finally removed their forces that roved Holland in their quest to cross the channel and attack the Belgae (still Allies), now contenting themselves with seaborne invasions around the Humber Estuary and being repelled by the Belgic forces. Noricum remains under the control of the Free People as a buffer between the Boii (Cimbri Protectorate), but I am sure the Cimbri will attack one day. At that time the current plan is to strike at the Cimbri heartlands in Denmark and promptly hand them to the Belgae (they are our allies after all) – in the spirit of co-operation.

The V Alaudae-lead legion of Salues auxiliaries then released from the Averni campaign conducted a seaborne attack on Caladunon and reduced the Carthaginians to the remaining 4 regions of Northern Spain. With the West being held by the III Gallica; the centre by XI Claudia; and the East by XIII Gemina – that brought the forces available to 4. The Carthaginians were carefully assessed, each settlement was fairly strongly held, forces outside were eliminated – and thus, in a carefully co-ordinated strategic movement, all 4 settlements were invested at the same time. In the latter half of the period therefore, the Carthaginians, after 100 years of war, were finally crushed (without, this time, any Roman facing a single Gallaeci warrior!).
    The ending of the Averni and the movements in Spain released the VII Claudia from their blocking position in SW Gaul and they completed their movement to Illyria and, paired with the X Gemina, began offensive operations in Pannonia against the Macedonians. It must have been this, coupled with the corresponding moves of Macedonian forces that encouraged the Sarmatians to declare war against them; this may prove interesting in the future.

Meanwhile, the ending of 100 years is a time of consolidation, raising the remaining legions to full strength (and, as it is often of interest, a standard army composition and layout for an attack is shown below). Apart from those already mentioned (of which the III Gallica and V Alaudae now remain to convert); garrison forces for Spain, Gaul & Africa are being raised and established; and the III Augusta is being raised to assume responsibility for the African shores in case the Ptolemaics break their alliance.

Mentioning them also leads to a review of the East; where things in the Middle East continue much as before; however, a resurgent Greek Cities combined force has not only taken advantage of a rebellion in their ally’s lands (Macedonian Scythia), but they are successfully progressing a war of destruction against the previously dominant Pergamese. What is most interesting here is the behaviour of their enemies the Spartans – who have significant forces arrayed in Ptolemaic Thraikike-Chersonesos – but seem content to have Greek armies simply march past. The Roman response to this is likely to be similar to that planned for the Belgae, just to see if they can be inspired, and a raid into Asia is planned, followed by gifting the conquest to Sparta.

We will see....

636-645 AUC (66 settlements)

Well, the best laid plans of mice and men fall by the wayside when it comes to the diplomatic niceties. The ‘floating legion’ of the last remaining Late Republic cohorts did indeed take Pergamon itself from the Greeks, but the Spartans were simply not interested; nothing I could try would induce them to take that region as a gift. The Pergamese fate was then sealed when the Ptolemaics attacked from the East, leaving them with only Rhodes. When I spotted a Greek army land there, I chose to interdict and ‘look after’ the Pergamese myself – by jumping right in, capturing the city and dealing with the Greeks. At the end of the period the Greeks have just landed and those ‘old’ troops will have a final crack at battle it seems.

The aim is now to try and hold Rhodes and use it as a spring-board to open a front in Asia, whilst hoping (but you know how Total War is) that the Spartans don’t also declare war. It does, however, appear that the Greeks and Spartans are perhaps now ‘duking it out’ in the Ptolemaic lands of Thraikike-Chersonesos, but my diplomat there doesn’t see a lot of movement.

This is in combination with the movement plans along the Danube. The III Gallia was brought to strength and took position covering the Rhine-Danube river confluence (the VIII Augusta remain holding the lower Rhine against the quiescent Cimbri), which released the I Germanica for the long awaited conquest of Noricum. It would be very nice to complete the ‘limes’ and acquire Pannonia Superior from the Boii, but as they also remain a quiet protectorate of the Cimbri there seems to real need to ‘poke the sleeping bear’. Perhaps they might possibly consider a swap if I take the odd Macedonian conquest further North....

Meanwhile the 5 remaining legions are occupied in taking the war to the Macedonians. The VII Claudia struck South to take Illyricum and recover Dyrrachium and I am wondering whether to try and keep Epeiros as a buffer state between the Romans and the Spartiates, but we will see. A lot will depend on what the Greeks do. XIIII Gemina Martia have struck out of Pannonia and taken the lands previously owned by the Cotini and end the period investing the settlement in Dacia Minor (which remains under rebel control). The XI Claudia and XIII Gemina have struck West taking Gaia Skordiskon and, right at the end of the period and whilst observing Macedonian troop movements, have eliminated covering forces and assaulted Oescum, the capital of Moesia. This brings the Greeks once more to the party as there is now a border again with them with their holdings in Thraike. Finally the experienced X Gemina (the original Illyrian front-holding legion) remains in reserve in Pannonia.

To complete the round-up of forces: regular auxilia are being raised to replace the locals and Forces (10u) established to hold the rear areas; 2 along the African coast; 2 to cover North and South Hispania; and a single one for Gaul. Matching forces based upon 3 Praetorian cohorts each cover North (not quite yet) and South Italy. 3 further Praetorian cohorts (to bring the total to 9) accompany the XIIII Gemina Martia to gain field experience replacing 3 normal auxilia cohorts. The III Augusta remains in Africa as a reserve and the V Alaudae have just been raised. They will take over from III Gallia, who will be the spearhead force to move to Rhodes and open the Asian front. The next priority is to raise the II Augusta now that Carthago-Nova is finally ready to provide troops.

The strategic aim is to establish sensible frontiers based upon defendable lines (rivers and choke-points being often the best)with an intent to generally also hold the province across the boundary where the crossing-point fort would otherwise be on ‘enemy’ territory; whilst legions are paired to conduct operations based upon dissimilar recruitment bases to spread the logistic load. It is to be hoped that the Cimbri-Boii pairing remains in their forest fastnesses, but troops exist to counter the threat. It would be nice if the Belgae-Cimbri war resumed, but not essential. The intent is to war against the Macedonians and Greeks, hopefully without the Spartiates interfering, whilst moving forward to the 85-settlement period with a consolidated empire (just in case of ‘other threats’ you understand!).

Progress piccies are attached, along with a beautiful image of the Governor’s country villa outside Tarentum, near which a brigand rising was defeated. Of such things is RSII made.

Ye Olde Fahrt's Avatar Miles

What a great thread this is for information on 1-turn Rome campaign. Should be stickied under Plaza, imho. Thanks again for keeping this up!
    My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum. - Roma Surrectum III

Quote Originally Posted by Ye Olde Fahrt View Post
    ........ Thanks again for keeping this up!
    You're more than welcome. The intent is to keep it going until we have a good example of the Civil War/2nd rebellion with which to play with and v2.6 is ready. At that point it may well be worth ending the current (4th) one; especially as there's only the march to the end to complete; and starting a re-test of v2.6 with all the tweaks, alongside everyone else who's then playing.

I'll probably make the decision to upgrade the Campaign to Hard to see what difference, if any, that makes; as well as gather information to update the existing Guide(s). I'll make sure this gets referenced from that for anyone who then wants a summary of how 4-5 campaigns might go.

646-655 AUC (73 settlements)

[Well, it’s been a while, for which I will apologise to those who have been waiting and have been most complimentary – however, there have been some good reasons, as well as a week away too! Another good week in addition has been spent being a test-bed and analyst for all tone’s work on the economy – we have some serious looking graphs of the financial changes over the 110yr period.

In order to ‘tease’ you all just a little, it is now hoped that v2.6 will come out with a seriously revised EDU, all having been rebalanced and now costing a significant amount less. This, however, and of course, is nicely set against some serious reductions in income (changes to buildings & scripts) that, using Roma as the test example, will mean that players will often have just a little more income at the beginning, but much less ‘spare’ later on and curtailing the general feelings of runaway funds in the late game.
    In parallel tone has been running a whole number of ‘AI Campaigns’ with the new figures, particularly to better balance the traditionally ‘weaker’ factions so that they last longer and prevent larger empires running amok so easily.

All that has meant that I have also spent some time trying to be able to cope with changes on the fly and setting up an income surplus before trying to see if I could upgrade the existing campaign as much as possible. It seems that this has been possible and, with the exception of a few files (EDCT, EDA & EVnV) I seem to have a stable system and can now continue to the 2nd Rebellion and the late game, but with all the new finances included. So – what has been happening....]

My fears about the Asian foray and subsequently the financial changes imposed (the overall result being that I could probably not afford to recruit an additional pair of legions) lead me to reconsider trying to keep the 2nd Front against the Greeks open, was then brought into sharp relief when, after taking Epeiros from the Macedonians to remove the minor threat to my southern flank in Greece (and thus gaining a border with Sparta) they did indeed almost immediately attack. The withdrawal from Asia was therefore well timed, especially as the III Gallia (operating in Asia with the recently shipped VIII Augusta; but at the end of a very long supply line – roads and enhancing commanders can be very useful) was then able to strike back West and take Krete before going on to take Attike, acquiring the large naval facilities of Athenai and a much more useful, now, 2nd front in Greece.

Meanwhile, given that Roma is at war with all the Greek nations now (Macedonians, Free Greeks and now Sparta – who have a very significant army who are very experienced soldiers indeed), it has been possible to maintain a contiguous front running from Dacia down through Moesia through Ano-Makedonia and to the coast at Epeiros. This is held, in order, by X Gemina; XIIII Gemina Martia; XIII Gemina; VII Claudia; & II Augusta. XI Claudia, having been the latest legion to take a short pause and re-upgrade some of the legionary troops who had suffered equipment damage before returning to the ‘central front’ to continue the Eastern movement; has now been sent South to back-up the II Augusta against the Spartans and eventually link up with III Gallia, it is to be hoped. VIII Augusta, having completed the withdrawal from Asia have taken up a base in Eastern Crete, with their reinforcements adding to the Rhodos garrison, will act as a reserve to cover the islands and hopefully have a chance to take Kypros from the resurgent Free Peoples (after Pergamon’s demise) in the future as a later stepping stone.

It would be nice if that were the stable position at the end of the decade, but the very last 6 months has seen the Cimbri decide to take advantage of Roma’s attention on the Greeks after being rather quiescent for so long and being rebuffed from Brittania by the Belgae. A reasonable incursion into Sequania was met by the reserve legion of the XXII Primigenia moving from their base in Helvetia, whilst the I Germania remained in Noricum to counter any moves from the lands of the Volcae and in case the Boii decide to join their ‘masters’. The most significant attack was from a full Army and a pair of small supporting forces into the Nervii lands. This was met by the V Alaudae and their aging commander, who proved that he was not yet in his dotage; gaining a pair or rewards that he can later hang on his wall in his coming retirement.

The IX Hispana have been working up in Carthago-Nova slowly and will hopefully be brought to Massalia to receive their pre-deployment upgrades in the next year or so; where they will be deployed is therefore a matter of what happens next.....

And I forgot the piccies.....

Ye Olde Fahrt's Avatar Miles

Thanks again for the updates, enjoying your blog as always

There is a good example on how Generals evolve a couple of pages back. Do you think you could elaborate on Governors a bit? Ie. what is your typical strategy for ensuring the right Governors end up in right places, with enough experience and traits to be succesful in longer run.

Another little diversion from this excellent Rome campaign timeline would be if you would elaborate a bit as on your strategy on developing your cities. What is the typical path you grow your economic regions, which buildings you typically create first etc. And then, what is your strategy for military regions, which buildings you build there first. And finally, which buildings you ensure are available on both areas from the beginning.

I think this would be interesting to see, as you seem to have a quite good overall plan, working towards the reforms, while ensuring the economy will not let you down and enables you to recruit enough legions to expand.
    Last edited by Ye Olde Fahrt; September 05, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
    My garden may be smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum. - Roma Surrectum III