Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 1-turn - should it be like this?

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 1-turn - should it be like this?

W622 - Inc 280k – Exp 205k – 1hr 50mins

The border sweep revealed a single small (4u)Macedonian force on the southern Dalmatian border, but more significantly, 3 separate forces coming down from Pannonia; one incursion up to the forts along the river or 10u and 2 further forces just inside and over the border (6u & 15u). In addition, a 6u force of Averni moved in and invested Nemausus, with a full (20u) army hovering just over the border.

Life was quiet in Spain and Africa and preparations were begun to move West to the coast in the northern area, whilst siege equipment was moved closer to the southern force, now headed by the I Germania standard.

The normal round of checking the settlements (it’s worth noting that the aim is always to stay under the 180k threshold and thus available funds are apportioned to building and the raising of troops in each season), with some 101k spent on buildings this cycle (recalled to be annually). It was noted that the Governor of Thapsus (Vibius Cornelius Sulla Felix) was not living up to the length of his name and, whilst only 49 would have relieved soon. The investigators noted that he was: Brutal, Dishonest; a Heartless Ruler; a Poor Bureaucrat; he Hated the Locals; was Downright Miserly; and an Alcoholic to boot! Whilst the last could be overlooked, now that Thapsus was brought under Roman control, a replacement would have to be found.

The VIII Augusta sallied from Massalian territory and relieved Nemausus, destroying the enemy force (698 vs 91 lost) in 25mins. This was followed by the VII Claudia taking on the nearest Macedonia force (10u) before they could engage the defences. The battle was one very hard fought, up a significant hill and into heavy snowfall; 886 enemy troops were destroyed for the loss of 199, but the 1st Cohort achieved Exp4.

It’s worth noting that nearly all enemy troops engaged throughout the campaign have been experience 5, with some at Exp4. This does make Medium battles a serious training ground – especially recalling those silver-chevroned Cimbri (no wonder the Romans had worries).

Wow. Greece really did go to town. Then they sacked it. Repeatedly.

Do me a favor, how many battles have you fought (total) and what year is it? I'd like to compare it to my 0 turn campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by CTD_or_Bust View Post
    Wow. Greece really did go to town. Then they sacked it. Repeatedly.

Do me a favor, how many battles have you fought (total) and what year is it? I'd like to compare it to my 0 turn campaign.
    The Year (& season) is noted at the start of each post now - I'm sorry, perhaps that's not obvious..

"W622" - the Winter turn of 622 AUC - so 86 years in.

I was looking at the 'battles' figure yesterday when made up the pictures and it's, almost exactly, 560 battles won against 16 lost.

There were a fair few naval battles earlier (I have quite a few ships with Exp7 now!), so let's say ~450 Land battles, which include slave rebellions and incursions. Over 172 turns that's about 2.5 a turn, so I expect that's about right. (It's also one of the reasons that I get 2 hour turns regularly, albeit I concentrate on some of the detail a lot.)

I just about remember all 16 losses! 2-3 were at sea to large bodies of pirates; one was the tactical retreat from the first Garrison reinforcement at Syracuse; 2 were my first battles against the Cimbri, when I got 'tromped'. The other '10' are all small units/generals being ambushed and retreating probably. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost any other open field battles, although some have been extremely close (particularly with the 45min limit on occasion; one siege, one open field when a phalanx chased a light infantry unit to the other side of the map and, because I was attacking, I had to get them routed to win - 60s to spare!).

Ah, yes I looked right past that Well, I'm 8 years ahead of you and have a little over a thousand battles. So I'm looking forward to trying a 1 turn campaign now instead and having a more languorous time Just kidding, but I am looking forward to a 1 turn campaign after reading your report!

.....Well, I'm 8 years ahead of you and have a little over a thousand battles......
    Are you not sleeping? Eating? I just don't know how people are doing it - there must be a secret!

You've only had a couple of weeks - it must be a quiet time and you're doing 12+ hours a day.....

Not really, 3-4 hours a day of focused playing. The first time I played a TW game was Shogun 1 about a year after release. I can micromanage cities in my sleep :p Almost all the time I spend playing RSII is in battles or load screens because I forgot to move my gorram diplomat.

I'm very much enjoying the one turn campaign. The battles are much fewer in between (2-4 a turn instead of 4+) and units feel so very valuable. In 0 turn I'd combine units without hesitation even if reinforcements were over a turn away and I had something scary nearby. 1 turn it's a well weighted decision each time, even with a full stack next to it. Do I want to retrain (time x effort) or do I want to leave it for garrison or do I.. gah.

It definitely feels best. 0 turn it was like oh I lost a cohort? Better make 14 more in one turn . Feels better to play 1 turn; Thank you very much for writing this and persuading me to try it out instead of doing a Seleucid 0 turn. Cheers!

S623 - Inc 283k – Exp 208k – 2hrs

Threats this summer, rather quiet after the last year, were from: a 16u Macedonian army approaching southern Dalmatia once more along the coast; and a 15u army investing the fort guarding the river crossing to Gaia Skordiskon in SE Illyria; other than that only a small 2u Gallaecian force was spotted creeping along the northern Spanish coast towards Caladunon, but I knew the fort guarding the approaches would prevent any incursion.

With the latest round of, yearly-cycle, recruitment and the quieting situation in Spain, I realised that the situation was much more robust. Very large Hellenic armies were waiting to the East, but: Africa was relatively quiet and it would soon be possible to re-assign the growing III Augusta to their permanent duty station; relieving the XI Claudia who could think about joining the VIII Augusta in the planned assault on Macedon, by first regaining Epeiros, lost over 80 years previously; the I Germania could finish up in Spain with the Republican and Allied units (it would be sad in some ways to lose those Exp4 & 5 troops for a while), before they could transfer their attentions to the Averni; lastly that I could start to raise new troops, the X Gemina (to command which Vibius Annius Belienus was selected, having just been recruited with 6 Loyalty and no objectionable traits), who could eventually take over from the, ever more experienced, VII Claudia in Illyria and strike NE into Pannonia/Pannoinia. Meanwhile I could soon start to deploy regular auxiliary troops to round out the armies.

Two battles then occurred:

1 - The first by a planned assault, spearheaded by the Eagle of the III Augusta, but mostly involving Allied troops, of Brigantion in NW Spain, defended by a garrison of 7u; given that the roads in Asturia had just been upgraded. This was an assault against the lovely new barbarian stone walls of rather a heavily populated city, obviously spared the excessive recruiting drive. 691 were killed for 151 losses and the city was enslaved – 35mins

2 – The second was the relief of the fort just over the crossings from Illyria, by the VII Claudia, lead by the National Leader Servius Fabius Maximus, brought from his winter quarters in Salonae. This ended as a wonderful example of the enemy deciding to sacrifice some units, slow moving pikemen, to enable others to escape when the tide turned against them. 767 enemy were killed for only 21 losses, but 429 made their escape – 20mins.

W623 - Inc 282k – Exp 212k – 1hr 30mins

The winter period started with the announcement of a plague in Carthago, just at the point that the Campus Martius was ready! It’s worth noting that because of my split building/recruiting cycle I have the treasury knocking on 180k each winter, even though the average isn’t, and things are being adjusted (the most extreme example noted being that the Economic and Fortified upgrade would cost 29500 vs 25000 basic).

Threats weren’t much added to: but the 16u Macedonian army on the Dalmatian coast crept a little closer; a 4u force of brigands once more interrupted trade on the route between Cirta and Siga in Africa, which the defence force moved towards; and a 5u revolt in subjugated Spain was spotted, taking advantage of the frontline troops being in Winter quarters, to counter which some garrison units were assembled to strike them next summer.

1 – The African brigands were engaged by the reaction force with 384 killed for 28 losses in 10mins.

2 – Servius Fabius Maximus decided to relieve his winter boredom and rousted the VII Claudia from their base to engage the 16u Macedonian army in southern Dalmatia. 1564 were killed in the cool conditions for 250 losses in what became rather a fight against the elite and experienced Macedonians in 30mins.

{PS – it is also because I am writing about them, but I have indeed discovered one of the joys about RSII that I had only read about earlier. My earlier 2.1a trial had only just got to numbered legions before the test started; but now I have totally fallen for the individuality of the ‘named & numbered’. They have a life of their own!}

.... Feels better to play 1 turn; Thank you very much for writing this and persuading me to try it out instead of doing a Seleucid 0 turn. Cheers!
    Thank you kindly - now let us see how long it takes for you to catch up and overtake me again!

Aaah but DM worked through the new patch problems for Shogun 2 and soon FotS will be less goofy and more strategic. Then I'll only be able to do 20 years a day

S624 - Inc 281k – Exp 213k – 2hrs 10mins

An 11u Macedonian Force of mostly Exp5 Phalangites were spotted approaching along the coast to the Southern Dalmatian fort; with another 18u army seen assembling outside Aquincum; another force of 10u was found by the NE Illyrian watchtower by a cavalry patrol. (It’s a little bit of a puzzle that the Macedonians, with only 18 settlements, all in a block mind you and without other enemies just now; seem to be able to throw stack after stack at the single Legionary Army defending Illyria-Dalmatia. It must be, however, that those settlements are raising 18u per turn between them and sending them straight over.)

The Averni had invested Nemausus once more with a full 22u Army; but other than that the 5u Spanish Rebels SE of Baikor; had been joined by a smaller 3u incursion near Saguntum.

The I Germainca lead Legion of old Republicans used the fine weather to lay siege to Mirobriga as the road network in Tartesania was upgraded. 3 battles then ensued:

1 – The 5u Spanish Rebels were engaged by the scratch garrison Force – 513 killed for 14 losses – 15mins. They moved towards the 2nd smaller force, but were unable to force the second engagement.

2 – Brought fresh from his winter quarters in Massalia, Marcus Ulpius Nerva took the VIII Augusta to relieve Nemausus. This became another tough battle uphill – 1804 were killed for 239 losses, with 95 escaping as they left the fight early – 35mins

3 - Servius Fabius Maximus once more took the field with the VII Claudia to take the fight to the 11u Macedonian Force – 1151 were killed for the loss of 151 – 30mins

W624 - Inc 285k – Exp 213k – 1hr 20mins

The winter started with an ambush on a small 3u Gallaeci force trying to relieve the besieged units in Mirobriga. The force was discovered to be 2 cavalry units and a General and therefore they managed to escape most of the trap (the ambushing force were only 2 cavalry units and 4 cohorts). The cavalry managed to run down the enemy General, however, but took losses from the enemy’s javelins. When the enemy General was killed, the other cavalry units ran off – 23 killed for 41 losses – 10mins

Two more Macedonian forces approached the Illyrian border from Pannonia (14u & 21u); the 3u Rebel force remained in Spain; the 2u (now) Gallaeci cavalry force remained where they had retreated to in Western Spain near Mirobriga; a 4u force of African rebels were seen south of Carthago; and, more worryingly at this juncture, a 5u Ptolemaic force was seen on the border with Kyrenaike; and a 21u Army assembling outside Espherides. Only a single battle occurred in the wintry conditions, but the slightly weakened VII Claudia Legion took up position on the river bank near the Macedonian 14u Force:

1 – The 3u Spanish Rebels were engaged by the scratch force - 364 killed for 7 losses – 10mins

The VIII Augusta were the first legion to receive their complement of newly raised Auxila.

S625 - Inc 292k – Exp 214k – 1hr 55mins

The summer started with the Macedonians assaulting the VII Claudia under their new General across the river. Even though he had received all the military backing, it was perhaps his inexperience that resulted in a nasty drawn out fight:

1 – 1322 killed for 271 losses – 25mins

Apart from that it seemed a relatively quiet summer. Only a single fresh 5u force of Illyrian Rebels appeared inside the borders; with a 10u Macedonian force moving near the river crossing; and a small 4u force once more approaching along the Dalmatian coastline. The 3 remaining incursions therefore were all dealt with:

2 – The African Rebels south of Carthago were engaged by the Reaction Force out of Cirta, with a unit of Elephants with the General being a ‘interesting’ surprise. Whilst causing damage they were driven berserk by some concentrated fire arrows and, with other units being pulled out of the way, helped rout the remaining rebel forces – 379 killed for 74 losses – 10mins

3 – Additional cavalry units were brought up to pin the roving pair of Gallaeci cavalry and the forces converged on them – 154 were killed for 36 losses - 15mins. With them destroyed, the III Augusta lead legionary force moved to besiege Ulaca and the end of the Gallaeci was in sight.

4 – Hoping to redeem himself, Vibius Annius Asellus took the VII Claudia in their weakened state against the Illyrian Rebels and triumphed – 469 killed for 7 losses – 15mins

W625 onwards.....

I’ve decided that style is rather stilted and probably not that enjoyable to read – it certainly isn’t entirely interesting to write either! I will summarise a good chunk, therefore, by saying that, yes, I believe that full use of all the features and fighting all the battles will mean that turns take between 1 and 2 hours, sometimes longer if you have a couple of AI initiated battles in the end turn phase. My advice, don’t press ‘end turn’ if the wife wants you to carve the chicken (replace with something suitable to your own situation) within the next 30mins.....

Either way, and still hoping to elicit comment, I am still tracking various extra bits of data if you want extra detail and can capture other stuff if desired (and I shall edit the opening posts to include a financial tracking element)...

This report therefore covers a 4 year period (to W629), which is definitely significant in terms of this campaign:

The Romans have been fighting on 4 fronts (3-and-a-bit really), which has been a little frustrating. Whilst I have, indeed, been able to keep the building system going, I do not feel there is ‘too much’ money around. Yes, I am staying under the 180k threshold, but not having to try and build really expensive stuff either. The control mechanism has kicked in and all buildings cost 18% more than base at present – must be the increased labour costs of a Good Economy!

What is definitely constraining is the number of recruitment centres. I had felt, as shown previously, that I had chosen enough of them for when the reforms hit. I was able to recruit 2 and then 3 numbered legions quite fast, which released all the Republican and Allied troops to conquer the Gallaeci. Arretium, however, was the only place able to recruit 4 of the possible 8 (not including Praetorians) legions. I may well think of preparing Ariminium as a recruitment centre as well next time. I am also aware it will still take considerable time to bring Massilia online, let alone the Hispanic 4 legions of the future.

This has meant that the VII Claudia fighting in Illyria & Dalmatia; the VIII Augusta in Transalpine Gaul; and, to a much lesser extent, the XI Claudia in Africa; have been on the defensive against, particularly, wave after wave of Macedonians (who, with 18 settlements, must be recruiting in each one every turn and sending them West!), and also repeated Averni incursions. Some of those recruitment centres have simply been dedicated to producing replacements for those troops lost, let alone any desire to produce the late Auxila units I would like too. The fighting strength of those 2 legions particularly was, however, maintained throughout.

The war in Spain remained quiet, with no further Gallaeci troops available to strike, the Capital at Ulaca and the remaining settlement of Mirobriga continued under siege. The summer of 628 saw the latter come to an end as the defenders sallied forth; and the following winter saw the Gallaeci destroyed as the same occurred at Ulaca. Aulus Cornelius Mammula at the head of the I Germanica and rump of Republicans received a Patellae for his siege at Mirobriga. Following the demise of the Gallaeci I assumed that there would be some additional troops, but, by leaving the capital until last, and logically, there were no emergency levies to try and retake the capital. Troops could be released to other fronts – at last!

During the period a plague, however, hit Italy. Luckily it affected only 2 settlements, the first being Capua, but the second Tarentum, which put a crimp in recruitment there for 2 years. Another event was certainly noteworthy: an unfortunate, whose name is now not spoken due to the God’s wrath, took up the Vexilla of the XIII Gemina and their 1st Cohort (recruited by error!) to lead to Spain to assume command of the Allied units wasting out. Passing Emporiae on the way there in the winter of 626 he was killed in an earthquake, along with over half his troops; all in all, however, less than has been lost in previous ‘quakes. P. Valerius Acisulus was then selected to command and was moved to Arretium to obtain the new Vexilla standard, whilst the battered cohort was returned there for retraining. They then returned to Spain together.

The end of the Spanish campaign also saw the retirement of Gn. Sulpicus Paterculus from command of the Praetorians (although he received the standard without seeing any actual troops during his tenure!). Relieved from earlier Spanish duties he had spent some 10 years in command, dealing with minor rebellions and the occasional Averni incursion through the Alps. He retired as: an Attacker; with an Understanding of Logistics; Scouting skills; as a Legendary Commander; a Night Fighter; a Master Strategist; with natural Command Talent; and having received both Corona Aurea; and Corona Civica. He passed on his standard and military staff to Spurius Valerius Catullus, who showed promise at a young age.

Now troops could start to move, but leaving occupation forces for Spain. The III Augusta were immediately released for Africa, although it would take 2 years to get there. This could free the XI Claudia for the planned campaigning in nearer Greece, especially when a ceasefire was concluded with the Ptolemaics after a surprise change of ownership of Kyrenaike to Greece. The XIII Gemina headed Allies took ship from Caladunon to conduct a surprise attack against Aginnon in Aquitania; in order to divert the Averni’s attention. This was entirely successful, but with a sting in the tail as the settlement had plague. Luckily it was at the tail end of the disease running its course and only the commander was originally infected.

The freshly recruited X Gemina was dispatched to Gaul to take over from the VIII Augusta, who started to move East and join the VII Claudia at last. The I Germanica have started to consolidate in NE Spain, prior to joining the Gallic campaign. From a long period of being on the defensive in Gaul and Illyria-Dalmatia with single legions, it will now be possible to commit 3 legions to each front, whilst the III Augusta work up in Africa; and upgrade work continues in the newly conquered provinces. As an aside, forts are essential to slowing the enemy advance.

The next several years to the 100th anniversary will be telling....44 settlements are now held.

Greece

Lol'd

How come you have hardly any losses in your battles?

Thoroughly applaud your Legion composition; it is exactly what I use for both pre- and post-Marian forces

Only difference is that I tend to take Spain before invading Africa and hence Scipio and co. 'learn' that lighter missile infantry and cavalry are a sine qua non for allowing the heavy infantry to play their proper role of crushing opposition rather than being exhausted and whittled down by fast moving ranges opposition (like the ruddy Gallaeci).

The 1 turn approach intrigues me; I always play 0-turn because otherwise recruitment seems unduly long. There does not seem to be a good middle-ground for this...

I've found in my 1 turn campaign that infrastructure must be your middle ground.

Because you cannot raise half a legion in one turn you have a lot more money immediately at your disposal. So your flashpoint cities, that is the ones nearest to your conflict, can be prioritized to receive military capabilities without thought to the cost. And with that you will in turn be able to produce legions.. just in a less consolidated way :p

It, I find, works out. People say they have too much money in 1 turns but I wonder how their infrastructure looks. Certainly you have enough money to build a new building each turn at most of your settlements but at the same time you desperately need to!

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    W625 onwards.....

I’ve decided that style is rather stilted and probably not that enjoyable to read – it certainly isn’t entirely interesting to write either! I will summarise a good chunk, therefore, by saying that, yes, I believe that full use of all the features and fighting all the battles will mean that turns take between 1 and 2 hours, sometimes longer if you have a couple of AI initiated battles in the end turn phase. My advice, don’t press ‘end turn’ if the wife wants you to carve the chicken (replace with something suitable to your own situation) within the next 30mins.....

Either way, and still hoping to elicit comment, I am still tracking various extra bits of data if you want extra detail and can capture other stuff if desired (and I shall edit the opening posts to include a financial tracking element)...

This report therefore covers a 4 year period (to W629), which is definitely significant in terms of this campaign:

The Romans have been fighting on 4 fronts (3-and-a-bit really), which has been a little frustrating. Whilst I have, indeed, been able to keep the building system going, I do not feel there is ‘too much’ money around. Yes, I am staying under the 180k threshold, but not having to try and build really expensive stuff either. The control mechanism has kicked in and all buildings cost 18% more than base at present – must be the increased labour costs of a Good Economy!

What is definitely constraining is the number of recruitment centres. I had felt, as shown previously, that I had chosen enough of them for when the reforms hit. I was able to recruit 2 and then 3 numbered legions quite fast, which released all the Republican and Allied troops to conquer the Gallaeci. Arretium, however, was the only place able to recruit 4 of the possible 8 (not including Praetorians) legions. I may well think of preparing Ariminium as a recruitment centre as well next time. I am also aware it will still take considerable time to bring Massilia online, let alone the Hispanic 4 legions of the future.

This has meant that the VII Claudia fighting in Illyria & Dalmatia; the VIII Augusta in Transalpine Gaul; and, to a much lesser extent, the XI Claudia in Africa; have been on the defensive against, particularly, wave after wave of Macedonians (who, with 18 settlements, must be recruiting in each one every turn and sending them West!), and also repeated Averni incursions. Some of those recruitment centres have simply been dedicated to producing replacements for those troops lost, let alone any desire to produce the late Auxila units I would like too. The fighting strength of those 2 legions particularly was, however, maintained throughout.

The war in Spain remained quiet, with no further Gallaeci troops available to strike, the Capital at Ulaca and the remaining settlement of Mirobriga continued under siege. The summer of 628 saw the latter come to an end as the defenders sallied forth; and the following winter saw the Gallaeci destroyed as the same occurred at Ulaca. Aulus Cornelius Mammula at the head of the I Germanica and rump of Republicans received a Patellae for his siege at Mirobriga. Following the demise of the Gallaeci I assumed that there would be some additional troops, but, by leaving the capital until last, and logically, there were no emergency levies to try and retake the capital. Troops could be released to other fronts – at last!

During the period a plague, however, hit Italy. Luckily it affected only 2 settlements, the first being Capua, but the second Tarentum, which put a crimp in recruitment there for 2 years. Another event was certainly noteworthy: an unfortunate, whose name is now not spoken due to the God’s wrath, took up the Vexilla of the XIII Gemina and their 1st Cohort (recruited by error!) to lead to Spain to assume command of the Allied units wasting out. Passing Emporiae on the way there in the winter of 626 he was killed in an earthquake, along with over half his troops; all in all, however, less than has been lost in previous ‘quakes. P. Valerius Acisulus was then selected to command and was moved to Arretium to obtain the new Vexilla standard, whilst the battered cohort was returned there for retraining. They then returned to Spain together.

The end of the Spanish campaign also saw the retirement of Gn. Sulpicus Paterculus from command of the Praetorians (although he received the standard without seeing any actual troops during his tenure!). Relieved from earlier Spanish duties he had spent some 10 years in command, dealing with minor rebellions and the occasional Averni incursion through the Alps. He retired as: an Attacker; with an Understanding of Logistics; Scouting skills; as a Legendary Commander; a Night Fighter; a Master Strategist; with natural Command Talent; and having received both Corona Aurea; and Corona Civica. He passed on his standard and military staff to Spurius Valerius Catullus, who showed promise at a young age.

Now troops could start to move, but leaving occupation forces for Spain. The III Augusta were immediately released for Africa, although it would take 2 years to get there. This could free the XI Claudia for the planned campaigning in nearer Greece, especially when a ceasefire was concluded with the Ptolemaics after a surprise change of ownership of Kyrenaike to Greece. The XIII Gemina headed Allies took ship from Caladunon to conduct a surprise attack against Aginnon in Aquitania; in order to divert the Averni’s attention. This was entirely successful, but with a sting in the tail as the settlement had plague. Luckily it was at the tail end of the disease running its course and only the commander was originally infected.

The freshly recruited X Gemina was dispatched to Gaul to take over from the VIII Augusta, who started to move East and join the VII Claudia at last. The I Germanica have started to consolidate in NE Spain, prior to joining the Gallic campaign. From a long period of being on the defensive in Gaul and Illyria-Dalmatia with single legions, it will now be possible to commit 3 legions to each front, whilst the III Augusta work up in Africa; and upgrade work continues in the newly conquered provinces. As an aside, forts are essential to slowing the enemy advance.

The next several years to the 100th anniversary will be telling....44 settlements are now held.
    Very nice report...enjoyed reading it. I'm particularly happy that the finances are 'enough'. I know it would be nice at times to have more, but then it seems things get too easy, and you don't have to make any choices. Glad the control mechanism is not now so 'violent', and keeps the player from getting raped by the script.

I've found in my 1 turn campaign that infrastructure must be your middle ground.

Because you cannot raise half a legion in one turn you have a lot more money immediately at your disposal. So your flashpoint cities, that is the ones nearest to your conflict, can be prioritized to receive military capabilities without thought to the cost. And with that you will in turn be able to produce legions.. just in a less consolidated way :p

It, I find, works out. People say they have too much money in 1 turns but I wonder how their infrastructure looks. Certainly you have enough money to build a new building each turn at most of your settlements but at the same time you desperately need to!
    Good point, and goes along with what I said before about buildings in RS2 being necessary, because there are many of them with small bonuses.
    One of my personal major gripes with RTW was that there were only the few buildings that basically gave you everything, and piled huge bonuses on top of others. They were cheap, and you never 'gave up' anything for building them, even though in reality it would certainly cost a great deal to maintain the infrastructure of a nation. So now, it behooves the player to build and build and build more, because if you don't...and you get out of your economic zone....you're going to get your butt kicked.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by isaaclambo View Post
    How come you have hardly any losses in your battles?
    Probably 3 reasons, 4 if I am immodest.....

Losses do normally run to between 10 & 15%; 20% if very hard; and low if I can, particularly, dominate against Rebels:

- Firstly, this test campaign has been on Medium battles, I could make it harder, but the intent was to progress and test more, rather than test myself. Even then I don't find battles easy, mainly, I suspect, because the AI gets to recruit its units with Exp5 (I do see some 4). Mine take a very long time to get anywhere near there, if at all (only my Republican and Allied rump are at Exp4 now - and a single 1st cohort, unsurprisingly the VII Claudia's)

- Secondly I win all my battles, with a single pair of exceptions, and the losses are much less because of that - holding the field is the most important thing. The exceptions are the Cimbri intial pair of battles that I lost, because there were not only Exp5 - but damn hard-fighting big Germanic types! This is also the immodest one, but I've been playing many years.

- Thirdly, I always make sure the General has at least a Greek Physician or preferably a Surgeon with him; this reduces casualties after the battle (I'm not sure how much). Ensuring Generals have a reasonable retinue helps with No2 as well.

- Last, being on 'aggressive-defence' I will often strike a force within range that is smaller than the Legion I am using. This too makes No2 easier to achieve and keep casualties overall down.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Lieutenant View Post
    Thoroughly applaud your Legion composition; it is exactly what I use for both pre- and post-Marian forces

Only difference is that I tend to take Spain before invading Africa and hence Scipio and co. 'learn' that lighter missile infantry and cavalry are a sine qua non for allowing the heavy infantry to play their proper role of crushing opposition rather than being exhausted and whittled down by fast moving ranges opposition (like the ruddy Gallaeci).

The 1 turn approach intrigues me; I always play 0-turn because otherwise recruitment seems unduly long. There does not seem to be a good middle-ground for this...
    I did try 0-turn the very first time I got the mod (as I understood that's what the mod was written for). I stopped, not because of too many attacking enemy armies, per se, but because I had a script bug after 20 years that kept causing a Rebel (Socii-style) to keep appearing (p121 of the QA&D thread) almost every turn - I just got fed up of fighting the same battle over and over again. The 0-turn style did, however, lend itself to a lot of armies and, whilst I love the battles, I am content with 2-5 per turn, not 4-10! Lastly, however, I am not comfortable with the 0-turn premise - I know how long it takes to raise and train armies.....

It's that 1-turn 'slowness' that has slowed down my campaign, not that I mind, for it does take considerable time to raise sufficient troops. If I was playing 1-turn, then I would probably raise armies much faster and keep Emporiae for starters and accept that the Greeks will turn on me and I would take Syracuse and Massalia much faster - thus securing the homelands and gaining the route to Spain; assisted by raising more ships too.

I must admit I have always been one to plan and build-up and gain great enjoyment and involvement from doing so - so I don't mind the wait. What I have been realising in my game is that the total time to create a barracks to be able to raise troops is a very long one. From memory I think it's (4+6+8+12+4+15+10+2+4=63 turns) between 30-35 years!

I've been watching my turns, particularly as I've now got into the habit of: Winter = Building up Settlements; Summer = Raising Troops (incl Generals). Just now the ratio, even raising troops everywhere I can, is about 4:1 in value.

I suspect that is also caused by my building-costs increase-factor being now at 23%!!! They do like to take my money.....

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

very Impressive, I must say this is the most detailed Roman "AAR" ever written!

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa