Thread: Curious about Saga Faction

Default Curious about Saga Faction

I'm still waiting on my copy of FoTS but I'm dying yo know how the Saga faction is
    We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender - Sir Winston Churchill

Default Re: Curious about Saga Faction

it's meh. Obama is way better.

Darth VeX's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Curious about Saga Faction

I like the Saga.

My tips with the Saga Clan:
    - Immediately fully commit to having aspirations towards high modernization.
    - Once you've secured the two southern islands (Goto Islands and Tsushima Island) and have a fair-sized army and a home-region Barracks, just burn down that silly "Dojo" and build something more useful (like the Craft Industry building).
    - Secure as many trade routes as you can with your allies. There's a good chance one of the other Imperial clans on Kyushu will eventually tire of sharing the island and begin attacking everyone else. Usually this makes for a good excuse to just conquer and take everything they have, and those end up a wonderful base of production for your armies.
    - If you get really lucky, the other southern island (Tanegashima) might get conquered by a shogunate clan or declare war on you. If they do, they're another nice island to take a hold of, because with all three of those southern islands, you can see ANY enemy fleet several turns before it gets anywhere near your home port, and that means you can take it out before they damage the port and ruin your trade for a turn or two.
    - Once you've secured Kyushu and all the southern islands are in Imperial-aligned hands, it's time to turn your eyes north. Your best strategy is to try to just cut a swath north towards Kyoto, taking all the railroad-capable districts. That way, when you DO earn yourself the railroad tech, you can build those suckers and move troops forward like it's magic. Once you can do that, your forces are pretty much unstoppable.
    - Always keep reminding yourself to patrol the northern shores of Kyushu though, as enemy fleets will sneak in, drop off a full stack, and start laying waste to your base facilities. This can set you back for a year if you're not careful.

For a short campaign, by the time you reach Kyoto, you're probably almost done and just have to take out the Shogun's home region in the far north. If you meet all the other objectives, just sail a large armada up there with a full well-trained stack, and burn the city to the ground.

I haven't used Saga in a long campaign yet, but I imagine it's basically the same strategy, but you'll want to keep a closer eye on Tosa. In my campaign, I was lucky enough to always stay one step ahead of them in the Emperor's favor and technology, but I could never get them above friendly, and though they were my allies, they never had any intention of actually helping. They just wanted to stay on Kochi and be left alone. I'm betting in a long campaign, they're more aggressive.