Thread: 7Zip installation error: can't fix it

Default 7Zip installation error: can't fix it

Hello. I have downloaded DM latest Shogun 2 patch and the FotS hotfix. Problem is when I attempt to install the 3.4 patch prior to the FotS hotfix, I get the dreaded error message about DMS exe not being loaded...as others in this forum were having. I noted DM said it might because it thinks another version of DMS is running...but this is not so, as I completely deletced and reloaded...and followed DM's advice about verifying game cahces on Steam etc. No good. Still get this message. I followed a work around that seemed to work for others about unpacking the DM patch into a sep folder on the desktop first...then unpacking the 7Zip data folder there and copying the lot across. Only problem here is that when I unpack the DM patch into the sep folder on the desktop, it does not give me a 7Zip data folder...just a generic data folder which I can't open or use 7Zip to open (don't have persmissions or something liek that. And yes, I made sure I have administrator permissions for everything.). So can't get past first base withy the work around. I downloaded the latest 64 version of 7 Zip as well to make sure had latest version.

Can anyone help? What's going wrong with this? First time I've had a problem with trying to install a DM patch. Why does the workaround not give me a specific 7Zip file to open when I unpack the DM patch into a sep folder? What amI doing wrong?

Really grateful for any help, as I am desperate to play the latest DM patch.

Thanks in advance,

Apoll

Default Re: 7Zip installation error: can't fix it

Excuse me Darth Vader...I meant DV, not DM!

apoll

Is the issue solved? A new patch is out so better uninstall everything and re-install as advised.

Darth, thanks for getting back to me. I'm in a funk because I simply cannot get your 3.4 patch to work. No matter what I do, I dn't seem to be able to get the 7zip programe to recognise the data folder; I can't help thinking it has got something to do with the 7zip programe. I noticed, for example, in one of the earlier installs of SH2 and your patch, there was a 7zip file in the main steam Shogun 2 folder; now, however, there is no such 7zip file, just a data folder that I can't open or get 7zip to recognise. In short, I cannot use 7zip to open the generic data file; it says access denied. I think my problem has got todo with 7zip...and I've tried to download the latest version..install...unistall...reinstall. No good. Ikeep getting that error message that oters have had. Any ideas much appreciated.

StealthBD's Avatar Laetus

Using Windows 7 64-bit OS

Ok, pay attention because this one is a headache Apollo. I tried replicating the same problem you had here in my PC, and it ended up having me to do a a complete uninstall of Shogun 2 (splash screen error). There I go again 8 hours + downloading the game and got it installed once again.. Happily thinking that the same trick would work twice I tried creating a New Folder on the Desktop, added the Shogun2.exe in it and told my browser to download DarthMod 3.4 to this New Folder. After downloading I setup EVERYTHING on that folder, even inherited subfolders and assign the folder ownership to StealthBD (my main account, setup as an admin). Then once you download DarthMod you have to setup as your main account ownership as well (by default it comes assigned to the Administrator account). Once all that is done, run DarthMod 3.4 Installer as an administrator (by right clicking the installer and choosing "Run as administrator"). Proceed through the installer and once the 7zip Extraction ends you will be presented with the same error, please DONT CLOSE the 7zip Error... pull the window to the side and check your New folder, there should be a Data.exe 7Zip file there click it and extract the files in it to the New Folder you created. The 7zip extraction will begin once again. At the end there might be the same error, but check the new Data Folder in your New Folder and there should be a DMS.exe where you can run the mod from. After all this technical mambo jambo, copy everything in the Data folder into \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\data\ and play the game without any further issues.

In Summary

1) Create New Folder on Desktop
    2) Add a Copy of Shogun2.exe into New Folder
    3) Download DarthMod 3.4
    4) a) Take ownership of New Folder with user created administrator account on windows PC
    b) Certify that privileges are set to full control under user created administrator account
    7) While Running as Admin Install Darth Mod 3.4
    8) After 7-zip extraction (without closing 7-zip window) find Data 7zip File under New Folder.
    9) Run 7zip file and wait for possible error at end of extraction.
    10) Look for recently created Data Folder under New Folder and copy its contents to the \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\data\ folder.
    11) Play Darth Modded Shogun 2 Total War!

Hope this helps Apollo.

StealthBD, thank you very much for this advice and taking the trouble to help me. Much appreciated. I shall do what uyou say and report back.

apoll

HELP!! I have tried to follow the instructions above...no good. It just won't work. Every time the DMS exe file simply disappears when I close the error file. What is the matter? I download...I have all the permissions I need...I extract into a sep folder on the desktop...and I cannot get the 7zip file to appear...and when I can, the DMS exe file just disappears. I am at the wits end with this. I've never had a problem before with Darth's mods installing. I do not understand what has gone wrong...

Hey Apoll, I looked at your problem closer since what I had passed to you seems not have worked for you (neither did it for me the 2nd time I tried, which I blame myself for it)... In any case I decided to dig further into this so I decided to do five cycles, once I finally got it to work for me repeatedly. To be honest yes it was part luck, part trial and error and part perseverance to crack this one, and hopefully people with the same problem won't have to go through what you and I did again. Here is the golden key Apollo:

Pre-Installation

1) Create New Folder on Desktop (Setup as you being the owner of the file NOT Administrators Group)
    2) MAKE DOUBLE sure you checked the box for INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS FOR THIS OBJECT PARENT underneath the Permissions Tab under the Advanced Security Settings for the New Folder.
    3) Copy Shogun2.exe to that Folder
    4) Download DarthMod_Shogun_II_v34.exe (Setup as YOU being the owner of the file NOT Administrators Group). ALSO AFTER YOU DOWNLOAD THE FILE, UNBLOCK IT. You do this by Right Clicking and choosing its Properties, and then going to the General tab and clicking at the lower right corner "Unblock" underneath the Attributes for the File ( Read-only and Hidden ).

Installation

5) Run as Administrator DarthMod_Shogun_II_v34.exe and let the 7zip extractor do its job. (Don't fret when you see that error and please don't close the 7zip window or else you will lose the Data zip file)
    6) The DarthMod Data folder (not to be confused with the Data 7zip file), will appear. there you immediately setup the ownership of that file as being yourself. Also, very important, please DON'T forget to check the INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS FOR THIS OBJECT PARENT box underneath the Permissions Tab under the Advanced Security Settings for that Folder (Data)
    7)The Data zip file would have appeared as well. Before you can extract its files, you should Setup you as being the owner of that file (new file in the folder, meaning default admin ownership for that file).
    8) Run as Administrator the Data 7zip file.
    9) The Data 7zip file will tell you to extract to it's current destination (New Folder) its contents, click extract... During the extraction replace all files in Data folder say (yes to all), let it run. Until you see the error AGAIN. Now trust me on this one, this is very weird and I cannot really explain it how it happens, but once you do it extract for the 2nd time or third time (Remembering to run as admin always)... The error won't appear at the end of the 7zip extractor window anymore and if you look underneath Data, you will finally have a DMS.exe (7,522 KB).

It worked for me five times, I cannot think of anything simpler than this.. I tampered with the folders securities for a good while and finally got 7zip to ignore that error message... If anyone could provide anything simpler for Apoll, you sir or madame would have our eternal gratitude and respect . I finally hope this works out for you Apoll.

Apoll On Step 7), make sure you check the box for INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS FOR THIS OBJECT PARENT underneath the Permissions Tab under the Advanced Security Settings for that file (Data 7zip file) AFTER you setup the ownership as yourself.

StealthDB, I can't thank youenough for taking the time to persevere with my issue. I'm at work at present but will try this asap when I get home and report back. I just don't know why after years of successfully loading Darth's patces, this should suddenly appear. If it is not a weakness in the DMS.exe, and I think it probably isn't, then somethinghas chjanged with my system...although I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can work i out. Anyway, thanks agi and I'll follow closlely your steps.

Darth, know that StealthDB is a really good bloke for helping out like this! He/she deserves rep!

apoll