Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noobie question, RTR vs Darth mod

Default noobie question, RTR vs Darth mod

Hi there,
    i have played RTW for quite a while and got somewhat tired of the same thing over and over. i tried EB mod but it was unfinished so it put me off. so now i want to try another mod. is there anyone here who has tried both RTR and darth mod? what r the major differences? benefits? etc?

i have heard so many great things about the darth mod battle formations. sumone told me that RTR also uses them. is that true?!?!?!

from what i know RTR has a bigger map and more cities so its quite a change from RTW, but darth mod from what i understand hasnt changed as much. mostly AI and few more units, right? correct me if im wrong.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thank u.

Default Re: noobie question, RTR vs Darth mod

thats it in a nutshell really.

RTR has all the bells and whistles - great skins etc etc but had sadly lacking gameplay exp (especially 6.0)

Darthmod is basically RTW Vanilla but made into a much better gameplay experience (with all new skins too) but is not a total conversion and not historically accurate.

They are both probably at the two extremes of the types of mod out there, so will be very different from RTR. You may be very suprised when you lose your first campaign.

Average British Student

Quote Originally Posted by Persian Horseman
    Hi there,
    i have played RTW for quite a while and got somewhat tired of the same thing over and over. i tried EB mod but it was unfinished so it put me off. so now i want to try another mod. is there anyone here who has tried both RTR and darth mod? what r the major differences? benefits? etc?

i have heard so many great things about the darth mod battle formations. sumone told me that RTR also uses them. is that true?!?!?!

from what i know RTR has a bigger map and more cities so its quite a change from RTW, but darth mod from what i understand hasnt changed as much. mostly AI and few more units, right? correct me if im wrong.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thank u.
    I have modded both RTR(RTR CE) and DarthMod
    You are correct but Darthmod haves better AI, Better perfornce so larger battles less lag, if want a big map with darth try stickey for the big map and adds some more units . This mod is focused on all on gameplay

SPQR is also a great mod with a big big map

ok, thanks for the responses.
    i guess both mods r quite good but just aim for different things.
    just a few more questions on the darth mod then.

whats the best setting to play with? i hear ppl lose even on M! so m/m???or i should still go with vh/m?

but if i do tat, diplomacy comes into the question. in RTW on vh/vh when i played, no one like me. even if i gave them all the money and towns, they wouldnt do a ceasefire. is it the same here? has the diplomacy improved here? or its mostly battlefield AI and not campaign map AI?!?!

also, do unit sizes affect gameplay? for example on HUGE, the gauls r always weaker as their cities r depleted. are the battles better on huge or large?

finally, usually my computer being somewhat old, can only handle max of 2-3 full stacks on the screen at the same time. (huge size) does it happen often that the battles will b bigger than that? i prefer them not to be as there is lag, and also i dont like the computer AI controlling my units, especially with the suicidal generals. killing my own family members.

i wonder, since the enemy AI is smarter, does that mean that my ally army which the AI will control will also b smarter? meaning no more suicides?

also someone said that, in darth mod, everyone earns more money so they can build huge stack after stack of units so they can have big battles. is it true? i like big battles, but dont want to have like 5 per turn, especially when fighting egypt. i think it makes more sense when one faction has to defeat another one in a few big major decisive battles. after tat, the winning side shouldnt have that much more difficulty. is it like tat here? or no?

thanx for everything.
    very grateful :original:

oh yeah, and also is the battle speed slower than RTW?
    kind of like EB or RTR? i dont mind watching men kill each other slowly so i know where i need to reinforce and stuff.

Average British Student

Quote Originally Posted by Persian Horseman
    oh yeah, and also is the battle speed slower than RTW?
    kind of like EB or RTR? i dont mind watching men kill each other slowly so i know where i need to reinforce and stuff.
    Kill rate is slower so longer battles

DarthMod in a few words:

-Vanilla oriented
    -More units
    -Full reskins
    -Double mod for BI and old campaign
    -Uses DarthMod battle system tm
    -Gameplay breakthroughs with ideas used later on by most of the major mods such as my formation packs.
    -99% CTD free (1% is yet to be discovered)

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Oh, and no one can change the hardcoded ai behaviour, the genius of DarthMod is giving the ai good formations to use in battle so it performs much much better, and behaves much more coheretly. And the diplomacy thing on VH is hardcoded, its why i play my campaigns on H as people will actually ally with me.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

wait a minute, so the schanges as far as new skins, more units and darthmod battle system also apply to Barbarian invasion? , cause i ws thinking of starting a BI campaign, but i dont have BI installed in the folder i use for darth total war. if i install it into the folder that i use for darth total war, will i get the upgrades that the Darthmod brings? i hope this is clear.

I've tried both, and reccomend DarthMod.

Some of the changes made in RTR irked me,such as the adding of so many towns. I do think the zone of recruitment idea was well done.

In my humble opinion, DarthMod improves just about every one of vanilla's shortcomings,adds great new skins and units,and doesn't change things just for the sake of it.

exactly, its probably the very first one to try.

Foederatus

Especially since the RTR site has been down forever and you cannot download the latest version for 1.5.

Darth>SPQR =)
    RTR is for "geeks" that want a more hist acurate game DArth ftw ;p

Angel's Avatar Angeal

lol your first comment and your all ready supporting darth . lol. nice
    Under the patronage of Hader

Trully it is a fact that many are 1st posters after the release of DarthMod_8.0 . It seems and I am honoured that I have made them register so as to feedback for DarthMod.
    I am trully honoured of this and keeps me going for sure.

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Darth's Gameplay rules the lot, most challenging i have played and most fun. AI is SUPERBE , skins are just right, formations rock, Campain map/s kick ass, and u get the choice of a number of campains to suit your playing style. Its just perfect. I've played RTR 1.6 and I can't get into it, it seems more laggy, very crap AI, overly complicated gameplay on the campain map and simply overall
    f-ing crapyness! BTW, try Iberia tw for really cool gameplay for mostly celts etc (based mostly in spain area), I really like the voice mods lol; "i'm gonna pull out ur eyeballs an f-ing skull ***** u"!! Then theres SPQR, which has a huge map, (u can recruit a whole army in 1 turn) and the battles are immense with cool music. Also I think u should try The First Triumvirite, u can put it into your RTW folder and still play vannila easy peasy and it's got about 6 really detailed campians in it such as Julius Ceaser and others, that u might find r quite fun to get through. Theres many, many more but i haven't really got time and can't be arsed to write them all here so there you go and happy downloading!

PS - use the CC-music mod, it rocks too, totaly changes the feel of the battles and gets rid of RTW music which is basicly starting to get on my nerves i've heard it so may times !
    Last edited by Vanquisher; July 25, 2006 at 02:39 AM.

darth i wish i could do more =)

RTR has a complex campaign system, which while engrossing, can also be very frustrating and time consuming.

Other excellent mods (apart from Darth Mod, which Im just starting)

1.Extended Greek Mod is superb, especially for Greek factions, Romans, Ptolemaics and Carthage.
    2.The First triumvirate is the definitive Mod if you want to play as Romans. Its also very unique in its set up.
    Both can be played on one RTW installation as they don't change any of the original data files.

I haven't played SPQR, as I doubt my PC would enjoy it! But I hear its great.

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

This doesn't have anything to do with the thread, but my PC playes SPQR a lot better than many other mods, (without grass of course). I have most problems with RTR playing slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast