Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CA, CA..give me back my gloss !!!

Default CA, CA..give me back my gloss !!!

A similar desperate cry, a roman emperor made almost exact 2000 years ago. With the arrival of the new and magnificent patch for S2, graphics have been scaled down. Intentionally or unintentionally, MSAA is buggy and MLAA does not look as good. Over are the days of glittering samurai weapons under Japanese sun, no more soaking wet Ashikaga on rainy days. It made me feel I am amongst my samurai, caring to give green tea before the battle.
    PC Games are always pushing hardware to the limit as in F-16 Falcon, Ms Flight Simulator and TWS Series and others. It is up to the player depending on his hardware to scale graphics up or down.

Please CA, I am living just around the corner from your office. Don’t let me put on my Toga and laurel wreath and stand outside your office for three days and cry in desperation..CA, CA…Give me back my gloss !!!!!

Default Re: CA, CA..give me back my gloss !!!

Personally I think it looks much more realistic; I certainly don't want those "plastic" samurai back
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

I agree. I prefer it without so much gloss.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

I too am for the lack of gloss. I was amazed that my Samurai had the time to train with the sword, the bow, the spear, the gun and ride a horse all while immaculately spit shining their armor and skin between every single battle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

I don't like gloss an haven't got Shogun 2 but surely the issue should be choice! It seems to me that the process of having to connect to a server to play a game which you have bought, which automatically downloads updates without asking whether you want an edited version of the game, is contrary to consumer choice.

It's like buying a pair of glossy patent leather shoes and then wake up one morning to find that the gloss has gone or they are a different colour because the company that made them has come into your home and swapped them for another pair.

Shogun 2 new patch graphics is buggy

CA need to fix that...
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

Quote Originally Posted by Altimis View Post
    Shogun 2 new patch graphics is buggy

CA need to fix that...
    I totally agree with you... graphics; details and shadows seems to be much worse now..

The gloss dosent feel historical to me , would a samurai armour have looked like it has been glazed

No it would have a more dull look, like this, so Im happy about the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Shogun View Post
    The gloss dosent feel historical to me , would a samurai armour have looked like it has been glazed

No it would have a more dull look, like this, so Im happy about the change.
    well it isn't just the gloss, it seems everything has become worse, textures, shadows... it seems much more cartonish now.. or like some one else stated, it looks like PSone...

It is not only the gloss but the textures seemed to be of less quality after the patch Or maybe it is just me ? I agree to much gloss is annoying, except on rainy days. I think that was a cool effect. And what about the glints of weapons and certain armour ? The patch altered there somthing I am sure of it.

I think it should be left to the player to enable glints and gloss. In RTW you had the choice to enable glints and gloss. The reason for my post is to make CA aware and if it is a bug maybe they do something about it. If it was intentionally then well we have to live with it. Shogun 2 is still a great game to play.

The gloss is still there on rainy battles, its just less striking and the units clothing seems to have a more realistic wet look to them
    unfortunately the horses still look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Personally I think it looks much more realistic; I certainly don't want those "plastic" samurai back
    Agree 100%.
    Graphics are far better now.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Agreed. The soldiers actually appear far more realistic.

I know what CA were trying to do, but the trick is to have a little bit of shine on things, not cover it in gloss.

Well it is not just gloss or luster that got removed.

HDR seems bugged or not working

Overall unit detail on samurai and even on cloth seems worse and less detailed since the patch.

Depth of field is almost non existant now on high and low

Draw distance is so extreme sprites and faceless troops are now visable when viewing units in extreme closeups.Rear ranks turn to faceless sprites.

Grass seems worse

And some people have compared the game to how it looks now in DX 11 is how it looked back before we had the DX 11 patch.Is DX 11 removed or bugged?

And game contrast has been changed as my old MP avatar color was 200 red 15 black 200 red and now he needs to be 150 60 150 to be the same shade of red and black so go figure if something got changed as now my eyes hurt and takeda look awful.There is also extreme loss of detail on armor since gloss is gone and there is black crush if shade of black is set below 60.

So yea people saying its better have no clue really about lacquer armor.http://www.samuraiswordstore.com/ima...urai-armor.jpg People who own samurai armor or replicas or have seen it can tell you that the gloss was realistic and now all it did was make the armor look not like metal but like plastic.

Please use these threads guys until we can get a new combined thread to get all the graphical bugs and things not working like gloss catalogued screenshotted and submitted for ca.Its very clear that a wide range of things got ninja changed by CA either by accident or on purpose to boost performance.It is not in the patch notes so we can assume CA broke DX 11 and gloss and not removed it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=529745
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...?t=529388&page
    =17

Thankyou
    Last edited by Jedi; March 25, 2012 at 01:27 PM.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Since we`re going to start the silly posting images how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJgkmov4GqI

These guys are in authentic uniform for a very good documentary. Now look for the `gloss`. Yes, there is some shine or gloss on only the `shiny` things. It`s not Everywhere on everything. the shine is only where the light hits and only lightly as it should be. Most everything else is matt or non-glossy. This, in my view, is the realistic, on the field view, not the polished in a museum every day look.

Shogun now looks closer to this and so too should FOTS.

Averroes19's Avatar Miles

While I personally like the less gloss look, I understand that there are those who want it back. Best option would be to make it optional, whereby those who want it can activate it. Additionally, MSAA does not seem to be working properly as has been stated in numerous posts and threads. I hope they can work on fixing that. Other than that, the game does look nice IMO.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't want realistic soldiers either, first of all I want soldiers that doesn't suck too much speed from the computer, after that I settle with pretty ie glossy.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Actually the perfectly polished samurai armor within the duels didn't make sense to me - at least with the blood pack you got some samurai armor soiled with the dirts of war. (blood, dirt, etc)

Let's face it - it's cinematic to watch a shining duel between 2 samurais for the first times, but after that it feels unrealistic and silly - in a true battle you would have samurais and ashigarus covered in dirt, blood, bad breath, lack of baths, and sweaty, overall unhigienic and dirty. That would make armours with gloss almost impossible.

That said, there are always those who complain about lack of realism, and those who complain about too much realism, maybe make gloss an option, dunno.

So far I'm ok with this at the moment. Loading times dropped without any serious graphical impairment/change. (at least in my tastes/prefences, and I'm mentioning just until directx 10, since can't use 11).

People like Gloss?

Never liked it in any game. IMO look terrible. but CA should put an option to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Since we`re going to start the silly posting images how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJgkmov4GqI

These guys are in authentic uniform for a very good documentary. Now look for the `gloss`. Yes, there is some shine or gloss on only the `shiny` things. It`s not Everywhere on everything. the shine is only where the light hits and only lightly as it should be. Most everything else is matt or non-glossy. This, in my view, is the realistic, on the field view, not the polished in a museum every day look.

Shogun now looks closer to this and so too should FOTS.
    I posted that to you yesterday >< Great show ive watched it about 5 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayTNYQcsrtI

Very first scene guy on the left is gloss.I watched it and thought gloss gloss gloss the whole way through.Who has gloss who does not? Some have a dull shine that somewhat resembles current S2 but the screenshot i linked in the other thread of the black rider proves that its still no where near as shiny.Current models are plastic.More so than what the old glossy lacquer looked like.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...0&d=1332515807

There is no way that guys helmet looks less like plastic than it did before.The old one was far more realistic and is true to the type of gloss used on the lacquer.I dot see any armor in the video that looks as plastic as that black armored rider in the image i linked above,

http://www.samurai-japan.biz/other/af_wajima/index.html

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast