Thread: Unit model problem, changed weapons, hands sticking straight out stiff

Default Unit model problem, changed weapons, hands sticking straight out stiff

Wasn't sure where to put this, so don't be alarmed if you run into it twice.

Having a major issue. I'm playing around with some DaC units (third age submod, I hope they don't mind!) trying to get a spearmen unit to become a swordsman unit.

They're holding their sword and shield arms stiff as a corpse out to the sides, kind of like they're all shouting "I'm flying Jack!" or whatever that line was from that movie.

As you can see the textures turned out fine.
    Now some details:

I tried with both milkshake 3d 1.85 beta and 1.84. Same result.
    Tried removing only the primary (or secondary?) weapon (spear) from the almost identical mounted knight mesh file, leaving a the sword and shield for weapons, and just using that model minus the spear without even having to merge anything. Same result.
    Tried removing the spear from the spearman and adding the sword from the knight. Same result
    Tried removing both the spear and shield from the spearman and adding the sword and shield from the knight. Same result.
    Tried removing the spear from the spearman and adding a sword from a completely different unit. Same result.
    Tried several different animations. No matter which animation I used in the battle_models file, I had the same result.
    Still have the arms straight out. Arms are still stiff as a corpse.

I'm running out of ideas here. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    Could it have anything to do with the fact that the sword weapon is coming from a model with two weapons? Or am I having an incredibly obvious oversight?
    Last edited by euskingc; April 16, 2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: add picture

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Unit model problem, changed weapons, hands sticking straight out stiff

First, it's called Jesus Syndorm, there's a lot of possible reason that could cause it though.

Also, never use milkshape 1.85 beta, it simply always messup with TW models.

Did you use GOM to merge unit or Milk Shape? that could be a problem, using Milkshape to merge models for some reason don't work with TW units either.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Default Re: Unit model problem, changed weapons, hands sticking straight out stiff

GOM was used to merge. After seeing all the comments about it, I've since uninstalled 1.85 beta. I'm using only 1.84 now. The problem was identical with either version though.

I followed this tutorial.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=412456

found this thread that seems to be at least related:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=530261

and this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Pacco i don't have 3ds max but i believe it will be the same ms3d:
    Go to the groups:
    Select (by double clking) the shield(s):
    Chose bone_LElbow by 100%.
    For the primary weapons chose them (groups) and assign them to bone_Rhand by 100% or if you have javelings place them the same way you place the spears and assign them to bone_weapon_weapon01
    but I don't understand exactly the explanation so I can't check if that's the problem... I'm not sure what exactly they means by 'assign' and everytime I play around with the assign button it doesn't seem to do anything to link the weapons with the bone, not in any way that I can see anyways, though I confess I don't really know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by euskingc View Post
    EDIT: for kingsguard_shield, under comments I have this:
    shield0
    kingsguard_shield

but for sword_1... the comment field is blank

RESOLVED:
    just added in the following:

primaryactive0
    sword_1

to the sword_1 group's comment field.
    I'd still like to understand the relation between groups, bones, and vertices though. Anyone know a good tutorial for that?
    Last edited by euskingc; April 16, 2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: add info again