Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Age encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Default Re: Third Age encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

No i have only problems with the Fellowship campaign so it is impossible to play it in 3.1 version?

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

No, the Fellowship Campaign is not meant to be playable in 3.0/3.1.

Ok thanks i was so nervous i thought there is something wrong with my pc. Thanks again

I am also having this problem and i deleted the maps file but i dont even have a text folder could that be my problem?

@PandaExpress: Did you also try disabling daylight savings time?

For Windows 7: Click on the clock on the taskbar, click "Change Date and Time Settings," click "Change Time Zone," then finally uncheck the box that says "Automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time."

For Windows XP double click on the clock, select the "Time Zone" tab then uncheck the box for day light savings time.

The game suffers the unspecified error CTD whenever I try to run a custom or campaign battle BUT only when one of the teams is Rohan. Every other team works fine and I've already tried the deleting files and daylight saving fixes. Any suggestions?

Have you edited any files or are you playing with any submods?

No, I'm playing with bog standard 3.1 with no sub mods. The only files I've touched are the various ones I deleted trying to fix the problem.

Hmm, I'm not sure what could be causing your problem. It might be a bad install.

Follow the recommendations here. Disable UAC, reinstall M2TW, and reinstall TATW.

Yeah I'll try a reinstall. Oddly when I disabled UAC the game wouldn't work at all and when I changed the properties of the icon to run as administrator that broke the icon, it just said 'Windows could not find Kingdoms.exe'. So yes I'll try reinstalling everything. The most annoying thing is that it was working fine a few weeks ago, the only thing that's changed is that I got a new graphics card. But why would that only break Rohan? Bloody computers...

Hmm. If the problem continues after you reinstall make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Although... since M2TW is an older game older drivers might be needed.

Hey looking for a little advice if possible. I've experienced the 'unspecified error' whenever playing a battle (incidentally just as the armies are about the clash) and I've tried the usual tricks here (deleting the map.rvm file, string.bin files and unchecking the daylight savings box (although I did manually set the clock to the correct time)).

Unfortunately this is still not working for me and I need to know if there is anything I've missed or if I need to reinstall. I'm currently playing on Steam, Windows 7 and MTW2 is currently patched fully)

Thanks in advance.

Stylix's Avatar MOS Team Member

@ByzantineBron
    Did you delete the descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt files in your data folder?
    Have you disabled UAC for the M2TW folder before installing?
    MOS v1.6.2+ Bug fixer 30 Dec 2013

Hmmm, I've not disabled UAC but that's not something I'm particularly keen on doing since previous to having to flatten my pc I didn't need to. I will however delete those files and see how that turns out.

Yes unfortunately that also hasn't worked. I may well go for a clean install tomorrow to see if it was just a bad install that's done it. Thanks for the advice though
    Last edited by StealthFox; May 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Yay! a total reinstall seems to have fixed the problem, although I think I made a mistake in deleting my saved games

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantineByron View Post
    Hmmm, I've not disabled UAC but that's not something I'm particularly keen on doing since previous to having to flatten my pc I didn't need to. I will however delete those files and see how that turns out.
    Hey ByzantineByron.

It's possible to disable UAC protection just for your M2TW folder instead of completely disabling all of UAC. Simply follow this guide. However, this guide is written for standard M2TW, so you'll have to substitute the file path for your Steam folder.

Thanks for the reply StealthFox. I did try disabling UAC (or at least the specific part in your guide) and it does not appear to fix the problem. No matter however as at least I know now that it'll need a fresh install. Thanks a lot for the advice.

I play as Rohan and I'm on the 29th turn. When attacking Tarsir the game crashes. It's the same problem as described here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514755

In my case Lurtz is actually inside Tarsir.

I have tried the day light savings solution, deleted all those files mentioned in this thread but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

I assume you're playing with Baron's submod. If so, it's best if you report your problem in his submod thread.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    I assume you're playing with Baron's submod. If so, it's best if you report your problem in his submod thread.
    Yes, I am. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.