Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Third Age encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Default Re: Third Age encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Greetings all. I'm hoping someone can help me out with a really strange Unspecified Error. Here's the background:

I've made loads of my own modifications, but everything has been fine up until now. I made a few more tweaks to some of the usual files - map_regions, descr_regions, descr_strat, etc. - and now I get a CTD when starting a new campaign.

I can still load a previous save from before the last modifications, which leads me to believe the problem is with either descr_strat or one of the files which make up map.rwm - i.e. a file which only gets read when starting a new campaign.

The really strange part is that I can use Geomod with no problems. It loads my apparently corrupted world files without complaint, and saves them again fine. Can anyone explain what could be causing the game to have a meltdown, without Geomod seeing any problems?

Just to clarify further, vanilla TATW 3.2 works fine, so it's not the UAC issue or the daylight saving time thing. The crash happens after the faction intro movie, just as the loading bar hits max and the game should start.

I've seen a lot of CTDs in my time, but this one has me completely stumped... Any help much appreciated.

Update: after a lot of testing and some blind luck, I've narrowed down the source of the problem, and if anything it makes even less sense.

The issue is something to do with Balin's Dwarves - a faction I've copied from DAC. Like them, I've set up the faction to be a horde from the start of the game, by putting another faction's army in their only settlement. This has always worked before with no problems. Now however, it's gone wrong somehow.

The really strange thing is, I can now start a campaign, but only if I do one of two things - remove the faction from descr_strat (and therefore the campaign) entirely, or remove the section of the campaign script file which deals with settlement renaming for Moria. As things stand, either file works fine on its own, but both together cause the CTD, which makes no sense to me at all.

If I leave them in descr_strat, but change the campaign script, the campaign runs perfectly, except for the fact that Balin's Dwarves don't become a horde at the start of the game. The Orcish army which is supposed to spawn in Moria doesn't, so the Dwarves keep the empty settlement. Incidentally, the faction can still become a horde - the Orcs immediately take the empty settlement and they become a horde no problem - they just won't do it from the start.

Does anybody know what might have caused this trick with the empty settlement/horde faction to stop working?

Maybe you should ask here, in Modding thread:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd-Help-Thread
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Hi, I used to play this mod a few years ago. I recently installed it again and have been playing a hotseat campaign with my brother. However, when I hit end turn, it runs through all the factions fine and then gets a unspecified error CTD on the bandits turn. It's on the campaign map so I dont think its battle related. It happens every time we try it (tried like 10 times) and I used toggle_fow to check out the map and it doesnt look like the bandits have any battles. I even went around and tried breaking all the sieges on the entire map using console commands and it still crashed at the end of the turn. I also tried killing the Dark lord faction with console commands to no avail. So here is some more info:

using steam version

vanilla 3.2

turn 72 to 73

no invasion has been called yet, however I see that sauron cardinal is on the map in the corner when used toggle_fow next to the rebel settlement. Thus, maybe it could be invasion related?

we are playing as gondor, silvan elves, and freeps

Aragorn's offer we rejected so that freeps could become arnor

no factions are dead or about to die that turn

UAC disabled

daylight savings turned off

disabled cache=true in TATW file

also I am not sure how to access game error logs but I will post them if someone knows how to

win 7
    Desktop i3 core cpu
    gtx 650
    8 gigs ram

I dont know what else to do. Any help would be much appreciated thanks Its just very frustrating because its so hard to pinpoint

If someone knows how could they tell me where to check the games error log text? I will post it then so that it may make it easier for someone to help solve my problem. Many thanks in advance!

ok I found the log text! here are the last 10 lines of the code

22:45:57.619 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/olive.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.619 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/elf_house.TGA.dds is missing
    22:45:57.620 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/zcamp_wall_elf.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.620 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/orc_strat.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.621 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/zcamp_orc_building.TGA.dds is missing
    22:45:57.628 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/me_wooden_walls.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.628 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/middle_eastern_wooden_castle.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.629 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/middle_eastern_castle.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.630 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/me_castle_buildings.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.630 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/middle_eastern_cities.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.631 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/middle_eastern_castle_buildings.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.632 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/osgiliath_strat.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.633 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/osgiliath_ground.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.634 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/Riczu_blockade.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.634 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/NE_stone_fort.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.641 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/wooden_walls.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.643 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/NE_cities.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.766 [system.io] [warning] open: data/terrain/aerial_map/tile_models/alpha_pages/mountain_mask.tga.dds is missing
    22:45:57.774 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/terrain/aerial_map/tree_models/textures/conifer_winter.TGA.dds is missing
    22:45:57.799 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/world/maps/base/water_surface.tga.dds is missing
    22:46:32.038 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Last edited by Veteraan; September 03, 2016 at 03:32 AM.

When I end my turn in my dac mod, it suddenly crashes. I disabled the UAC as instructed by Arachir in his vid. I read some threads to disable the daylight savings but my pc does not support it. I even deleted the "desr_geography_new" but it still does not work. What should I do?

You should ask about it in DaC`s own thread, maybe state what version you play, upload your save game, and post at least last 20 lines of text found in system.log file located in your Medieval II TW/ logs folder.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Hey guys love the mod alot but i seem to be getting the "kingdoms has experienced and unexpected error, will close down now" or something along those lines, and this can happen on turn 6 or 156 on a campaign and doesnt seem to be locked to any race just happens. It is never on my turn only when i end my turn one AI triggers it different AI for different campaign, for instance with Saruman it was shadow of mordor for Silvan elves, Harad now im not sure if this is a simple file issues i couldnt see anything or if it has to do with the mods im using maybe not be fully complete, im using the MoS submod and divide and conquer mods only and ofcourse TATW but would appreciate any help as i love it and cant wait to see what you do with Attila.

Quote Originally Posted by the bamboozler View Post
    Hey guys love the mod alot but i seem to be getting the "kingdoms has experienced and unexpected error, will close down now" or something along those lines, and this can happen on turn 6 or 156 on a campaign and doesnt seem to be locked to any race just happens. It is never on my turn only when i end my turn one AI triggers it different AI for different campaign, for instance with Saruman it was shadow of mordor for Silvan elves, Harad now im not sure if this is a simple file issues i couldnt see anything or if it has to do with the mods im using maybe not be fully complete, im using the MoS submod and divide and conquer mods only and ofcourse TATW but would appreciate any help as i love it and cant wait to see what you do with Attila.
    Since you're using submods, that's the reason why it CTDs randomly.

Oh right thank you i had no idea, so if i delete the MoS submod completely it will no longer crash and everything would stay the same? im kinda worried about messing with the files to much as im not that great with all this yet haha. Again thank you for the help

Oh right thank you i had no idea, so if i delete the MoS submod completely it will no longer crash and everything would stay the same? im kinda worried about messing with the files to much as im not that great with all this yet haha. Again thank you for the help
    MOS and DAC have some issues for some users, but it still depends on your PC/laptop system hardware/software will you have anymore crashes. Vanilla TATW 3.2, and some other submods (Alternative Patch, FRoGS, Withwnar's submod collection etc.) did not have CTDs as far as I know.

Have you tried playing vanilla TATW 3.2 without any submods? Apply the Bugfix files, and play it.

If even vanilla TATW 3.2 crashes on AI turns, then unfortunately, your PC/laptop system hardware/software has issues with some TATW file/files.

Ah right so its a case of these Mods sometimes do cause issues, my PC was £700 can run Battlefield 1 ok, would of never thought Medieval total war would max it out haha. but no ill try and thank you for the help i really didnt know it it was the Mod files need some changing around, one more question do i need MoS submod to run DAC? or will DAC run fine without it, ill delete MOS if so, just some people have said that you need MOS for DAC and others that you dont would be great to hear from an official source so i dont mess up all my files. Again thank you for all the relpies and help great to still see we noobs to the modding scene can get help

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I think I can be considered to be an "official source" for MOS, although certainly not for DaC. I can answer this though, MOS is not needed for DaC, on the contrary rather, MOS and DaC are never to be installed together. You can install both at separate locations like mentioned in the post by Elvenkind below, or in this excellent post on this in the DaC thread HERE.

As for deleting MOS, I don't think that is possible if you have installed DaC and MOS in the same Third Age 3 folder.
    To be honest, if you did indeed install both DaC and MOS together in one Third Age 3 folder, I'm amazed you managed to play at all.

Finally, if you go for DaC that is perfectly fine, but if you are having any more troubles with installing DaC, please post about that in the DaC thread.
    Last edited by Veteraan; November 15, 2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Hmm, just noticed this post was not like I had intended it to be, fixed that

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Oh right i had no idea haha i was following the steps of a youtuber who does all the totalwar games and mods named Lionheartx10 i believe and he has a installation vid which shows him installing both MOS and DAC. but if the mods wrestle with each other ill have to make a choice both are fantastic mods however and i applaud the teams behind both of them ......but that does explain why Elronds factions textures are so weird they look like 4 different texture models on top of each other haha. but thank you both for all the help love the mod, love what you do just a bummer when i was getting that message. so thank you

You can have both DaC and MOS installed at the same time, only they must not be installed in the same Third_Age_3 folder, they must have their own separate folders.

What this means is that you will have AT LEAST two Third_Age_3 folders with a different submod installed in each folder ( one named Third_Age_3, and the other named Third_Age_3DaC ). I have four submods on this computer installed, along with a clean backup folder named Third_Age_3Backup :

- Install TATW 3.0 Part 1 and Part 2 + TATW 3.2 Patch. Test can you start a campaign. If you can, then make a copy of Third_Age_3 folder somewhere so that you can use it later as a backup or, for installing any other submod which you want to play ( note: since this is TATW 3.2 version, you can only play submods which are updated-made for 3.2 version).

- Now install MOS submod using MOS installation instructions. Test can you start a campaign. If you can, then I would advise to rename this folder to Third_Age_3MOS.

- Now, copy and paste Third_Age_3 folder (which you had previously backed up somewhere on your hard drive for using as a backup, or for installing any additional submod) back into your Medieval II Total War/ mods folder. Install DaC submod by following installation instructions. Check can you start a campaign. If you plan on installing any additional submod, then I would advise to rename this folder as Third_Age_3DaC.

If you do not want to install any additional submod, then leave this folder named Third_Age_3 as it is.

- When ever you want to play another submod, lets say you want to play MOS, but at the moment you were playing DaC.. then just rename Third_Age_3 folder as Third_Age_3DaC (or the name of a submod which it contains), and rename Third_Age_3MOS folder as Third_Age_3. Now you can play MOS again.

If you use Steam version of Medieval II TW, then it is the similar procedure, only instead of renaming Third_Age_3DaC folder as Third_Age_3, so that you can play DaC submod, you need to name Third_Age_3DaC folder as one of your Kingdoms campaign folders ( rename original teutonic folder as teutonic_original, and rename Third_Age_3DaC as teutonic ). Go to your Steam-M2TW and start teutonic campaign, or in this case DaC submod.

Good luck and I hope you understood this whole wall of text

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Oh right i had no idea haha i was following the steps of a youtuber who does all the totalwar games and mods named Lionheartx10 i believe and he has a installation vid which shows him installing both MOS and DAC.
    Well, I have to defend Lionheartx10 here. I have this install video linked in the MOS install instructions and near the end of it, Lionheartx10 explicitly mentions that you must not install MOS and DaC together. Also he always says in the video, install MOS or DaC.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Hiya just an update think everything is working now haha id like that thank you two for helping me out big time, i ended up starting again getting vanilla TATW, loading up MOS and renaming crusades and then did it again with DAC but rename tuetonic so i can play both and swap between them .

Hello, am unfortunately having a very similar issue to many other users, but after trying the fixes recommended have not been successful in fixing the problem.

The Problem: When I load into battles, most of the time, the game crashes with the fatal "Medieval Total was has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit...". To give as much info as possible, I noticed the problem while in a campaign, but have since realized that even in quick battle and custom battle the same is true. It does not happen every time, had a successful Dane v Ruhn battle, but then the next battle, Dwarves v Rohan crashed right as the two army's met. I have noticed specifically that if the dwarf army's are involved it crashed every time. I might be through enough to go through and see which factions cause a crash and which don't, but have not done so yet. Having had it happen about 3-5 times in a row while loading into the same location on the campaign, it seems to stem from right when the army's meet. Not sure how helpful this all is but just putting down everything I've got.

Fixes: I have tried all of the following:
    Turned off automatic daylight savings.
    removed descr_geography_new.txt and .dat
    removed just the .txt
    put them back and modified/added code TATW.CFG with: [misc] rebuild_geography_db = true"
    I have deleted and reinstalled multiple times.
    The vanilla version of M2:TW works just fine. Its just TA that is having this issue.

Specifications: I am playing TA:TW 3.2 via M2:TW 1.52 from steam. I followed the instructions listed here, and used the americas folder. I should note that for models missiles I did replace the file within the folder from the mod with the file found there before. Not sure if this step is correct but worth mentioning.
    Am running windows 10, with 16gb ram, and graphics card = ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP! 6GB ZT-90503-10P. Am yet to meet a game this computer cant handle.

Was looking forward to playing this, as I remember being really interested in it a couple years ago when it was new, but back then had for computers and now that I finally have the computer... I'm trolling through forum threads trying to solve this problem! So close! Hope this thread isnt dead and that there is some post somewhere that I have missed. If there is any more info I can share feel free to ask me. I have the log folders, but honestly they are no different from any others that I have seen posted, basically a bunch of stuff is missing, and then "unsuspected error".

Quote Originally Posted by ace37 View Post
    Hello, am unfortunately having a very similar issue to many other users, but after trying the fixes recommended have not been successful in fixing the problem.

The Problem: When I load into battles, most of the time, the game crashes with the fatal "Medieval Total was has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit...". To give as much info as possible, I noticed the problem while in a campaign, but have since realized that even in quick battle and custom battle the same is true. It does not happen every time, had a successful Dane v Ruhn battle, but then the next battle, Dwarves v Rohan crashed right as the two army's met. I have noticed specifically that if the dwarf army's are involved it crashed every time. I might be through enough to go through and see which factions cause a crash and which don't, but have not done so yet. Having had it happen about 3-5 times in a row while loading into the same location on the campaign, it seems to stem from right when the army's meet. Not sure how helpful this all is but just putting down everything I've got.

Fixes: I have tried all of the following:
    Turned off automatic daylight savings.
    removed descr_geography_new.txt and .dat
    removed just the .txt
    put them back and modified/added code TATW.CFG with: [misc] rebuild_geography_db = true"
    I have deleted and reinstalled multiple times.
    The vanilla version of M2:TW works just fine. Its just TA that is having this issue.

Specifications: I am playing TA:TW 3.2 via M2:TW 1.52 from steam. I followed the instructions listed here, and used the americas folder. I should note that for models missiles I did replace the file within the folder from the mod with the file found there before. Not sure if this step is correct but worth mentioning.
    Am running windows 10, with 16gb ram, and graphics card = ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980Ti AMP! 6GB ZT-90503-10P. Am yet to meet a game this computer cant handle.

Was looking forward to playing this, as I remember being really interested in it a couple years ago when it was new, but back then had for computers and now that I finally have the computer... I'm trolling through forum threads trying to solve this problem! So close! Hope this thread isnt dead and that there is some post somewhere that I have missed. If there is any more info I can share feel free to ask me. I have the log folders, but honestly they are no different from any others that I have seen posted, basically a bunch of stuff is missing, and then "unsuspected error".
    Hi there, and welcome to TWC Forums

Test to see do battles crash when you have a Dwarven Axethrower unit present in that battle, and does it crash when they start to throw their axes.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Hi there, and welcome to TWC Forums

Test to see do battles crash when you have a Dwarven Axethrower unit present in that battle, and does it crash when they start to throw their axes.
    This is likely it, what is the solution if this is the problem?

Will test when I get home, but I can say for certain that the axethrowers were in my army in all the battles where crashes occurred.