Thread: Has anyone ever done the math on spears vs swords?

Yomamashouse's Avatar Semisalis

Default Has anyone ever done the math on spears vs swords?

I know there isn't one set of values that can be used to do the math for it, but does anyone have an idea if spears actually are better against cavalry in this game? I know they get a +8 bonus, but then longswords and other high lethality weapons compensate for that by having a higher chance to kill.

Take Galatian Heavy Spearmen vs Hellenic bodyguard cavalry.

Sword: 11/30*0.225 = 0.0825

Spear: (12+8)/30*0.13 = 0.0866
    (NOTE - I compensated for all the +4 bonuses that were given prior to the spear --> light_spear transition in my EDU)

This is only one example, but in general is there is anyone who knows if spears are actually worth using against cavalry rather than longswords and getic weapons? I know they are better than shortswords, but higher lethality swords seem to have almost the same effectiveness against mounted units.

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Has anyone ever done the math on spears vs swords?

Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I know there isn't one set of values that can be used to do the math for it, but does anyone have an idea if spears actually are better against cavalry in this game? I know they get a +8 bonus, but then longswords and other high lethality weapons compensate for that by having a higher chance to kill.

Take Galatian Heavy Spearmen vs Hellenic bodyguard cavalry.

Sword: 11/30*0.225 = 0.0825

Spear: (12+8)/30*0.13 = 0.0866
    (NOTE - I compensated for all the +4 bonuses that were given prior to the spear --> light_spear transition in my EDU)

This is only one example, but in general is there is anyone who knows if spears are actually worth using against cavalry rather than longswords and getic weapons? I know they are better than shortswords, but higher lethality swords seem to have almost the same effectiveness against mounted units.
    There's one missing component, which iirc was added in RTW 1.5 - braced formation. When the spearmen formation is braced against the attacking cavalry, the charge bonus of the cavalry is reflected upon the cavalry unit itself. And don't forget that not every faction has units with long swords. In fact few do, whereas practically everyone has spearmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

of course, actually the +4 bonus in the spear department are not there without a reason, they are used for balancing out the low lethality of them compared with longswords, of course, we all know shortswords in EB is somewhat under powered, but...

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

What is braced formation...and can you do it in EB?
    It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, I am not a big man.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Have a unit standing idle. When an enemy unit approaches, they change from "Idle" to "Ready" (and if they have spears, you see them set their spears forward). Just make sure your spears are pointed toward the enemy unit.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

It helps if the Spear unit has a high mass, otherwise they just get rolled over.

Hmm and how does attack versus defence work? if your attack is lower than their defence, you have 0 chance to hit the enemy? presumably not, there is a diminshed chance, anyone have any idea?
    It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, I am not a big man.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Well units usually have alot more defence than attack so its not 0 damage for those hits anyway.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

it's more lethality x attack/defense probability I think

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa