Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abstaining in votes

Sinuhet's Avatar Preparing for death

Default Abstaining in votes

I have a question. Woludnt be helpful to assign some importance to the proportion of declared abstained voters?
    What I mean: I feel some difference between: 30 pros/10cons/10abstained versus 15pros/5cons/30abstained. The proportion pros versus cons is the same, so it is the same from the sight of the Syntagma, however I feel some difference in it anyway.....

Also, with this is partially related the "minimal number of voters condition", which should be implemented, in my opinion, at least for the "more" important votes, which change a legislation (bills and amedments).
    My TW games "Battle Formations" projects:
    Sinuhet's ETW Formations v2.0 – for ETW
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v5.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's Battle Mechanics v3.0 – for MTW2
    Sinuhet's AI Battle Formations v7.0 – for RTW 1.5

In Patrocinivm Svb HorseArcher

King Henry V's Avatar Behold your King

Default Re: Abstaining in votes

Abstaining means that you don't care what the result is, therefore you accept the outcome, whatever it may be. If there a large number of abstentions, it just means many don't care.
    Vassal of the most puissant Sheriff, imb39
    Suzerain of the valorous Castellan, scottishranger and of the preux Knight and Master Crafstman Atterdag

Former Editor of the Helios, Councillor of the Concilium de Civitate and Councillor of Peace.
    "Quatscht Studium, Verbindung ist die Hauptsache!" Heinrich Mann, Der Untertan
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" Lord Byron

hmm, in democracy....

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinuhet
    hmm, in democracy....
    Exactly. We can't force people to have an opinion. At least by abstaining they show they are active.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

But abstaining doesnt always mean one doesnt care what the outcome is, they could also be split 50-50 for the vote, and so they just dont vote for either and maybe make their point on why they abstained. At least, that is what I do sometimes.

I have a question. Woludnt be helpful to assign some importance to the proportion of declared abstained voters?
    What I mean: I feel some difference between: 30 pros/10cons/10abstained versus 15pros/5cons/30abstained. The proportion pros versus cons is the same, so it is the same from the sight of the Syntagma, however I feel some difference in it anyway.....
    How would you go about assigning "importance" to these votes? Seems to me like you cant really, because in abstaining they are declaring that they dont take either side in the matter. By giving weight to these votes, it seems like you would have to pander to one of the sides (in favor or disagreeing) to some extent. Perhaps I misinterpret.

I rarely give much respect to people who abstain, simply because they can't make up their mind. But I do understand that either they don't care, which is possible in some issues, and that they don't understand the bill (in that case it is good that they don't vote). Sometimes it is a quite clear yes and voting abstaining is pointless. But it is their right to abstain and if it makes me mad, so what. This is a democracy.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen Administrator Emeritus

In a democracy, an abstention is a perfectly valid option.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

The only option is to further encourage people to read the Prothalamos discussions, contribute, and have an opinion.
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Also, with this is partially related the "minimal number of voters condition", which should be implemented, in my opinion, at least for the "more" important votes, which change a legislation (bills and amedments).
    Ah yes, the beauty of democracy. If there are 51 voters and one votes for, none against, and 50 abstain, it passes with flying colors. And you know what, I like it like that...
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Abstaining favours the proposed legislation, since it is not required to reach a 50% + 1 vote of the total but only a plurality of the non abstaining voters.

As long as the abstaining voters realise this, there is no need for legislation...

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Personally I abstain in cases where I am indifferent to the issue but also when the proposed legislation solves some issues but creates new ones. In that sense the abstain option has a function as it is. If a bill passes with many abstaining it may be open to revision, whereas a bill that receives unanimous support isn't.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    Abstaining means that you don't care what the result is, therefore you accept the outcome, whatever it may be. If there a large number of abstentions, it just means many don't care.
    I have abstained from several votes in the past week. Why? Because I have had limited access to the internet and have thus has limited access to reading through the Proth's lengthy debates on issues. I may care what the outcomes are, but I feel that I do not have the capacity to vote fairly on the issue and influence the outcome, thus I abstain.
    Abstention should not be for people who do not care; those who do not shouldn't be civitates anyways.
    TWC Divus

in patronicvm svb Garbarsardar patronvm celcvm qvo,Professor420et Amroth et Jones King
    Publius says: oh please, i love talk about trans-special mating. sends a gentle tickle down the back of my spine
    MarcusCorneliusMarcellus says: i sucked at exams, but was considered the best lawyer in the class, because I could always find the hole
    Evariste says: I have huge, feminine breasts and I love them

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by gigagaia
    I have abstained from several votes in the past week. Why? Because I have had limited access to the internet and have thus has limited access to reading through the Proth's lengthy debates on issues. I may care what the outcomes are, but I feel that I do not have the capacity to vote fairly on the issue and influence the outcome, thus I abstain.
    Abstention should not be for people who do not care; those who do not shouldn't be civitates anyways.
    I disagree there are certain issues in the curia which I simply do not care about and others I feel very important.

A new flashy badge for certain members is an issue I am distinctly apathetic towards but I do take interest in many other matters, obviously as a member of the CdC.

So because there are certain activities I feel a waste of time, but do not object to others feeling them neccessary should I lose the civitate badge?

I do agree with abstaining on issues you do not have knowledge on as well mind.

peter

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    Abstaining favours the proposed legislation, since it is not required to reach a 50% + 1 vote of the total but only a plurality of the non abstaining voters.

As long as the abstaining voters realise this, there is no need for legislation...
    If a majority was require; abstaining would mean the same as a no vote, so they should realise that.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    Not necessairly. I sometimes Abstain not because I don't care what will happen but because what I want to happen is not an option to vote for.

I also abstain, like others, when we agree with the idea of a bill in principle, but have some qualms or problems with it that need to be fixed.

Abstaining is where you care about the bill but our undecided on it. In that regard, instead of failing a bill (And thus stopping any more votes on amended bills for a month), perhaps it should be the case that the bill goes back to the Prothalamos for further discussion and to get full Curia support.

A large number of abstain votes does indicate a problem with the legislation being put forward, even if it's not completely and out rightly opposed in its principles.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

To tell the truth, if I neither agreed or disagreed with a proposed Bill or election, I did nothing. Abstaining was irrelevant to me before I knew it could be important.

This needs to be more widely explained...

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q
    Not necessairly. I sometimes Abstain not because I don't care what will happen but because what I want to happen is not an option to vote for.

I also abstain, like others, when we agree with the idea of a bill in principle, but have some qualms or problems with it that need to be fixed.

Abstaining is where you care about the bill but our undecided on it. In that regard, instead of failing a bill (And thus stopping any more votes on amended bills for a month), perhaps it should be the case that the bill goes back to the Prothalamos for further discussion and to get full Curia support.

A large number of abstain votes does indicate a problem with the legislation being put forward, even if it's not completely and out rightly opposed in its principles.
    This answer explain nicely my original ideas about these matters. Thanks for the explicit formulation, Q .

If a majority was require; abstaining would mean the same as a no vote, so they should realise that.
    abstaining does not mean that at all...
    abstaining means the vote is not counted, it counts neither as a yes, or a no...
    in any particular vote, an act can pass with 20 in favour, 10 against, 30 abstaining, it has simple majority in favour... and amendment, or deification vote passes on the basis of a 2/3rds majority... i.e. 2/3rds of all those who voted - again, abstentions don't count in this. 2/3rds majority is worked out by taking the abstentions away from total votes (call it N), then working out the % of yes votes from N... if that %age is 66% or higher, bill/vote passes

if you look back through the votes, you'll see several votes have passed where they only achieved 2/3rds in favour by discounting abstentions.
    this is generally true anywhere...
    abstaining is delcaring you are a voting member, but do not wish your vote to be counted on this issue.
    its used for calculating quoracy in most bodies that include an abstention vote, a situation that is currently irrelevant here

i believe this matter was also the subject of a piece of legislation somewhere along the lines, that actually did define this...

EDIT yes the Curia Votes Act says
    Abstentions are not considered when determining whether a Bill has achieved the required proportion of voters.
    a simple majority is still a required proportion - the proportion being 50%+1

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince
    abstaining does not mean that at all...
    abstaining means the vote is not counted, it counts neither as a yes, or a no...
    in any particular vote, an act can pass with 20 in favour, 10 against, 30 abstaining, it has simple majority in favour... and amendment, or deification vote passes on the basis of a 2/3rds majority... i.e. 2/3rds of all those who voted - again, abstentions don't count in this. 2/3rds majority is worked out by taking the abstentions away from total votes (call it N), then working out the % of yes votes from N... if that %age is 66% or higher, bill/vote passes

if you look back through the votes, you'll see several votes have passed where they only achieved 2/3rds in favour by discounting abstentions.
    this is generally true anywhere...
    abstaining is delcaring you are a voting member, but do not wish your vote to be counted on this issue.
    its used for calculating quoracy in most bodies that include an abstention vote, a situation that is currently irrelevant here

i believe this matter was also the subject of a piece of legislation somewhere along the lines, that actually did define this...
    Quote Originally Posted by TBN
    If a majority was require
    Currently only a plurality is required. I was replying (agreeing with you, really) and saying why a majority, including abstentions, should not be needed. :wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast