Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: 5.0/5.1 Feedback thread

Thats a big ass empire of Pontus.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Ill definitely be increasing the recruitment cost of the pontus elite units so their armies are more balanced, recruitment cost is one of the main factors in ai recruitment of units.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Default Re: 5.0 Feeback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Thank you all for your comments, i have tried my hardest to create the best version of my mod yet, and what is hopefully one of the best mods for RTW.

All i can say is, that it is the BEST mod for RTW

just had to say that !! :original:

Nice mod im really enjoying it

After looking into the costs of the Pontus elite units they should be balanced as they cost around the same as other leite units, but ill increase the cost anyway.
    Creator of:
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.

Civis

Hello there.

Downloaded your mod two days ago and just have to say that you have done some great work. I just started modding myself about a month ago, and finding stuff like your mod and a couple of others,(XGM,RTR,Barebones, and more) is really inspiring, so thank you, thank you, thank you.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

After looking into the costs of the Pontus elite units they should be balanced as they cost around the same as other leite units, but ill increase the cost anyway.
    Why does Pontus buy, lets say, 8 units of elite cav. While the other factions, like Carthage, buy 1 unit of elite cav, and 7 units of mixed stf? Is there some way to adjust what troops are being recruited?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Its probably just got its economy going well so it can afford to, though ill look int changing the campaign ai recruitment presets that i can change.
    Creator of:

hey lusted, any way i can increase the pikemans efficiency/effectiveness against cav and generals in particular?? i mean i had to units of 120 phalanx pikes in a narrow passageway in a settlement (1 in front of other) and they were 3xp, they got assaulted by an arrogant rat generals bodyguard of 47 (faction leader) who just somehow easily finds his way thru 120 pikes and proceedes to kick the crap outta my pikemen, so i bring up my reserves of 120 from behind-what do you know, hes kickin their butt too...in the end i had to send up some bastarne and my 6xp faction leader to bring him down!! point is... whats up with that? even royal pikemen now struggle to effectively deal with expereinced generals bodyguard, if a load of horses go running down a passageway and onto pikes, i know which is gonna come out worse, pikemen are woeful now! any feedback would be appreciated-cos i know in vanilla if a cav unit runs onto your pikes-its their ass!

Well thats just cause general units are tougher than other cavalry units so the general lasts longer. You chharge any other cavalry unit into a phalanx and they're going to suffer large casualties.
    Creator of:

yeah i noticed it was mainly only generals bodyguard lusted, but gees the generals seem to be immune to pikes- anything i can do to mod it to make it a little more like vanilla,where if the arrogant rat charges pikes hes dust!!! i mean general or no general horses dont like pikes,pikes even bring ele's down!! this is the only thing really that gets me down about your mod, and its a big issue for me cos i know pikemen should own cav!!!! :wink:

what you're saying used to happen to me... in vanilla. now my generals pay for being arrogant.
    <[humans are greedy...therefore they are human]>

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Hi Lusted,

Just a few initial thoughts on 5.1. I've been playing for a few hours as the Romans. So far, finding it great. And not easy, even on Easy campaign.

Special positives:

- absolutely love the faction banners, icons and colours. These are really cool on the campaign and battle maps, and probably the best I've seen overall in any mod. Even the small factions like Epirus (or whatever they're called) look really good.
    - so far, I've found the units to be well balanced (found the speed too fast though, so I will tone it down a little)
    - you've great new Gaul skins I see - like these a lot
    - you've avoided - so far as I've seen yet, garish and overly-coloured skins
    - Mundus Magna map looks great and the campaign mini-map with zero faction borders and sensible faction colours is very clear to look at and also looks good
    - I like the starting situation of the Romans having to fight Epirus and also the fact that the latter also has provinces outside of Italy

Couple of negs:

- seems to be a bug where some of my Roman units start with Guard Mode off and some with it on. It's always this way. How I can set it so guard mode is off as default for all units except phalanxes?
    - judging by the phalanx skins I've seen so far, I prefer the more colourful (but not garish) ones in XGM.
    - also I find the pre-Marian Roman unit skins a bit undetailed. Plus the gold helmets are a bit too shiny and bright.
    - find the battle maps a bit dark, so may mod that

Could you explain about the choice of Imperial and Republican Cohorts you get - 4 or 5 different legionaries in all - when you get the Marian reforms? What's this all about please?

Thanks for your great work!!

Cheers, Germanicus91

To address your negatives:
    -this is caused by Darths Formations mod, all you need to do is select all your units and set guard mode off.
    -Im sticking with mine for Gold, i do not like the bright RTW style skins of XGM, the skins i use fit in much better with the feel of my mod.
    -Well they may be undetailed(thoug hi don't think so), but there accurate, its what they could have looke dlike(i say could we can never really be certain).
    -Probably caused by the Sky Mod that greatly increases the weather effects.

As for the post marian legionaires, as i cannot implement multiple reforms without very extensive scripting that is beyond my skill, i decided to turn the ealy legionary cohorts of RTw into Republican cohorts, the legionary cohorts into Imperial Cohorts, Praetorians stay the same but are limited to Rome, Urban cohorts have been removed, Imperial Heavy Cohort added as a very expensive unit only availabe in Italy, but with much better armourd than normal Imperial Cohorts. There is also a large enough price and upkeep difference between Republican Cohorts and Imperial Cohorts to also hlep justify having the different types, plus having the Republican and Imperial types does also look a lot cooler.
    Creator of:

plus having the Republican and Imperial types does also look a lot cooler.
    They not only look cooler, but the Imperial Cohorts kick ass too.

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

Hi Lusted,

Thanks for your feedback, which addressed my issues. One more neg I had is lack of AoR - it makes the game less realistic and I suppose easier when you can take over the barracks of any faction and immediately start pumping out your elite troops from the local population.
    Still, I'm finding it a great mod so far :-) I look forward to playing as the Germans.

Cheers, Germanicus91

hey lusted, can you direct me on how to make the phalanx units formation a little "tighter" so its harder to break their phalanx?? i have a rough idea how to do this but im not so sure, also i may mess things up with the formations etc... any direction would be appreciated!

Germanicus, i have no AoR as im still trying to keep the vanilla feel in my mod, plus i don't like AoR systems.

night_owl, in export_descr_unit.txt, find this line for all the phalanx units: formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 8, square, phalanx and change it to something like this: formation 0.8, 1, 2, 2, 8, square, phalanx
    Creator of:

ok thanks lusted, i'll give it a go! i was gonna do somethin like that but didnt know if i had to change any other text docs like formations.txt etc...

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Germanicus, i have no AoR as im still trying to keep the vanilla feel in my mod, plus i don't like AoR systems.

night_owl, in export_descr_unit.txt, find this line for all the phalanx units: formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 8, square, phalanx and change it to something like this: formation 0.8, 1, 2, 2, 8, square, phalanx
    Yeah I like how TE 5 is now. AOR ruins gameplay, and TE is all about gameplay.
    Blut und Boden