Thread: What types of rifles used on FotS era?

Hayro252's Avatar Libertus

Default What types of rifles used on FotS era?

im just curious
    are they using bolt action rifles or old ones?

sebbodunder's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: What types of rifles used on FotS era?

Hayro252's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by sebbodunder View Post
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sebbodunder View Post
    That pretty much answers it.

I am pretty sure bolt action rifles were not in use. There were various bolt action rifles in development throughout the world, but they were really just starting to become effective. Bolt actions weren't widely used until the late 1880s and 90s with the adoption of the Lee-Metford rifle by the brits, I think.

In civil war, most soldiers use musket and USA is an industrialized country back then. I dont expect such a savage country could manage to field all modern troops on the battlefield.

lol savage. you mean backwater?

Quote Originally Posted by IGdood View Post
    lol savage. you mean backwater?

Seemed a bit non-PC to me too

You don't hear much of that kind of talk these days...

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderlicious View Post
    That pretty much answers it.

I am pretty sure bolt action rifles were not in use. There were various bolt action rifles in development throughout the world, but they were really just starting to become effective. Bolt actions weren't widely used until the late 1880s and 90s with the adoption of the Lee-Metford rifle by the brits, I think.
    Actually, the Chassepot was a bolt-action and the article mentions those being sold in small numbers to the Shogunate. And those weren't even the first, the Dreyse was the first bolt-action, but those weren't used in the Boshin War AFAIK.

And what's with this talk of savages? Never heard intelligent people use the term.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Hresvelgr View Post
    Actually, the Chassepot was a bolt-action and the article mentions those being sold in small numbers to the Shogunate. And those weren't even the first, the Dreyse was the first bolt-action, but those weren't used in the Boshin War AFAIK.
    Ah, didn't see that there.
    And I wasn't saying which were the first, just which were widely used, though I'd forgotten about the Chassepot.

Such language is either used by a delinquent, or some sort of objective genius along the lines of George Carlin. I have some doubt as to its use in the form of the latter, seeing as it doesn't quite fitting of Japanese society of the times...

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post
    In civil war, most soldiers use musket and USA is an industrialized country back then. I dont expect such a savage country could manage to field all modern troops on the battlefield.
    I would hardly call pre-industrial Japan savage. Pre-colonial Africa, perhaps, but certainly not Japan.

Errm since when was PC good at all, ruins everything.
    All you have to do is to decide what to do with the time given to you.

In real life, awesome ones. Percussion cap, and breech loader rifles, along with the first repeaters, like the Spencer Repeater. Unfortunately in Fall, these are pretty much absent since the rifles in Fall have the same range as the matchlock smooth bores in regular Shogun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hresvelgr View Post

And what's with this talk of savages? Never heard intelligent people use the term.
    There were only 3 Gatling guns during the Boshin War, but you can bet your sweet patootie I'll get 40 of them.

The Dutch Devil's Avatar Krakiszki the Hunter
    Content Emeritus

Thread moved to Historical Research Center.

Patronized by the glorious all knowing Legio.