Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preview III: The Warriors of the Dunes

Default Re: Preview III: The Warriors of the Dunes

Great work and this is a thanks in arabic

مشكورين جدا جدا جدا

and i really liked your work and i really would like you to use Letters instead of numbers in the arabic units names and i'm ready to help you in the names if you want to

Thank you for your kind words, and your offer. We will take it into consideration, at the moment we're busy with creating the units.

Hmm, I thought you said you were done with the units, but I guess you just meant for some of the factions.
    By the way, who is making the units? Is it just you and julianus, or are there other special contributors?

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    Hmm, I thought you said you were done with the units, but I guess you just meant for some of the factions.
    By the way, who is making the units? Is it just you and julianus, or are there other special contributors?
    you were hoping it was almost finished

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    you were hoping it was almost finished
    No actually. I have been thinking it's a long ways off. I'm simply saying that Joar had made that statement earlier. That the units were all pretty much done. Unless he just meant the Roman ones or something.

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Probably the truth is in the middle!......

I'm simply saying that Joar had made that statement earlier. That the units were all pretty much done. Unless he just meant the Roman ones or something.
    I'm fairly certain I've never made any such statement.

julianus heraclius is making the units for RO. I do assist him with some textures and so on, but he's the chief unit maker. We do, however, sometimes use the work of other people not associated with RO, like for example in this very preview we've used a model made by Prometheus.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

No actually. I have been thinking it's a long ways off. I'm simply saying that Joar had made that statement earlier. That the units were all pretty much done. Unless he just meant the Roman ones or something.
    Ah, when is something ever finished, but seriously, all the models have been done except for the barbarian factions, of which I am about half way through. As Joar said, he is doing the textures and shield designs. But as we move thru the units there will be revisions. For example I have gone back and modified most of the roman legionaries to improve them.

Due to my heavy RL commitments (doing Doctorate in Psychology) my time is limited but we are hoping for at least a BETA release this year, and I repeat hoping. But we are passionate about this period, it is in fact the one that I have loved and wanted to do a mod on since I joined TWC so we want this to be good. This means it won't be rushed but will be worth it when it is released and you can then play it until you are all old men.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Did you hear Gallienus? He spoke! Now please, perform a correct 'Proskynesis'!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

These are great news julianus heraclius, thanks for your report. I will wait patiently, but I´m looking forward for every release of this great mod.
    For example I have gone back and modified most of the roman legionaries to improve them.
    May I ask about the axes, attached to the belts of some units shown in some sample pictures? How accurate is this representation and are they still used for the improved models? I know it´s only a small issue. Thanks in advance.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    May I ask about the axes, attached to the belts of some units shown in some sample pictures? How accurate is this representation and are they still used for the improved models? I know it´s only a small issue. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, the axes will be gone, at least for the pre diocletian models.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Thank you for your quick answer

I can't wait for this one, I think it's amazing just how far IBFD has come. Just how far you have taken the Rome engine, If you guys are interested in my new animations your welcome to them. I was saving my latest effort for maybe my own mod, but I have new square sheild animation, light inf animations, cav and 2 handed heavy cav, and a few more. Plus I have fixed the sheild placements on my last effort, so the combat is now way more realistic, unfortunatly I have very little time to animate these days. and any fixes made to this version would have to either wait or be fixed by your own anim guy/girl.

DHS
    "Today I saw a slave become more powerful than the Emperor of Rome"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_horse_spirit View Post
    I can't wait for this one, I think it's amazing just how far IBFD has come. Just how far you have taken the Rome engine, If you guys are interested in my new animations your welcome to them. I was saving my latest effort for maybe my own mod, but I have new square sheild animation, light inf animations, cav and 2 handed heavy cav, and a few more. Plus I have fixed the sheild placements on my last effort, so the combat is now way more realistic, unfortunatly I have very little time to animate these days. and any fixes made to this version would have to either wait or be fixed by your own anim guy/girl.

DHS

Thank you very much for your offer. We will absolutely take it into consideration.

Berbers went from being confused with Arabs to being confused with Sub-Saharan Africans. And their sense of fashion seems like a downgrade from Numidians lol, come on! :c

Quote Originally Posted by Ayoub of Mauretania Tingitana View Post
    Berbers went from being confused with Arabs to being confused with Sub-Saharan Africans. And their sense of fashion seems like a downgrade from Numidians lol, come on! :c
    Well do you have sources or illustrations on how they look for this period?

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    Just like modern Berbers? Basically just like me, not too brown, not too white. The sculptors of ancient Numidians *my picture* clearly show that they were had mediterraneans features, not negroid ones, so, that whole, "they got "white" after the Arab conquest" is nonesense, if you actually read about the Arab invasion of North Africa, you'd know about the Berber Revolt which happened approximately forty years after the conquest in which the Arabs were expelled from the Maghrib region "Morocco and Algeria" and they stayed for a couple more centuries in Tunisia until Berber dynasties took over there too (Zirids etc.), the modern North Africans who claim they are Arabs are not descendants of the Arabs who invaded North Africa in the 7th century but the Arabs who were sent by the Fatimids to punish the Zirids who recognized the Abbasids as the true Caliphate instead of the Fatimids, those Arabs consisted of 3 major tribes, Banu Hilal, Banu Sulaym and Banu Hassan. Banu Hilal had like, let's say 30,000 Arabs with families and children etc, Banu Sulaym were like 200 people, so, how in the hell, can a few thousand Arabs change the DNA of a quarter of a continent? Especially since they didn't focus on one area on the region, they spread out all over the place, meaning smaller communities, and to top it off, they had marriages with Berber tribes.

^ I am just using logic to tell you how they looked, skin wise. When it comes to clothing, I don't know, there are no writings on this period, I found nothing. But I still doubt that whole turban thing..

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    Just like modern Berbers? Basically just like me, not too brown, not too white. The sculptors of ancient Numidians *my picture* clearly show that they were had mediterraneans features, not negroid ones, so, that whole, "they got "white" after the Arab conquest" is nonesense, if you actually read about the Arab invasion of North Africa, you'd know about the Berber Revolt which happened approximately forty years after the conquest in which the Arabs were expelled from the Maghrib region "Morocco and Algeria" and they stayed for a couple more centuries in Tunisia until Berber dynasties took over there too (Zirids etc.), the modern North Africans who claim they are Arabs are not descendants of the Arabs who invaded North Africa in the 7th century but the Arabs who were sent by the Fatimids to punish the Zirids who recognized the Abbasids as the true Caliphate instead of the Fatimids, those Arabs consisted of 3 major tribes, Banu Hilal, Banu Sulaym and Banu Hassan. Banu Hilal had like, let's say 30,000 Arabs with families and children etc, Banu Sulaym were like 200 people, so, how in the hell, can a few thousand Arabs change the DNA of a quarter of a continent? Especially since they didn't focus on one area on the region, they spread out all over the place, meaning smaller communities, and to top it off, they had marriages with Berber tribes. ^ I am just using logic to tell you how they looked, skin wise. When it comes to clothing, I don't know, there are no writings on this period, I found nothing. But I still doubt that whole turban thing..

Sculptures* They had*

Quote Originally Posted by Ayoub of Mauretania Tingitana View Post
    Just like modern Berbers? Basically just like me, not too brown, not too white. The sculptors of ancient Numidians *my picture* clearly show that they were had mediterraneans features, not negroid ones, so, that whole, "they got "white" after the Arab conquest" is nonesense, if you actually read about the Arab invasion of North Africa, you'd know about the Berber Revolt which happened approximately forty years after the conquest in which the Arabs were expelled from the Maghrib region "Morocco and Algeria" and they stayed for a couple more centuries in Tunisia until Berber dynasties took over there too (Zirids etc.), the modern North Africans who claim they are Arabs are not descendants of the Arabs who invaded North Africa in the 7th century but the Arabs who were sent by the Fatimids to punish the Zirids who recognized the Abbasids as the true Caliphate instead of the Fatimids, those Arabs consisted of 3 major tribes, Banu Hilal, Banu Sulaym and Banu Hassan. Banu Hilal had like, let's say 30,000 Arabs with families and children etc, Banu Sulaym were like 200 people, so, how in the hell, can a few thousand Arabs change the DNA of a quarter of a continent? Especially since they didn't focus on one area on the region, they spread out all over the place, meaning smaller communities, and to top it off, they had marriages with Berber tribes. ^ I am just using logic to tell you how they looked, skin wise. When it comes to clothing, I don't know, there are no writings on this period, I found nothing. But I still doubt that whole turban thing..
    I don't think using a statue as a reference is a valid source. I mean I'm sure not all of them had such features, Berbers were and still are a diverse group.
    Last edited by b257; July 08, 2015 at 01:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast