Thread: Onna Bushi in sengoku jidai age

Default Onna Bushi in sengoku jidai age

i have seen the movie Heaven and Hearth on challenge between Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin. I have seen that Shingen have a Onna bushi unit ! ( Shogun 2 style ! ) a group of samurai girls with naginata on horse under command of a certain "Lady Yae". Who was she ? really a historically charachter ? i knew that a real onna bushi was Tomoe Gozen but 2 centuries ago around

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Onna Bushi in sengoku jidai age

I'm pretty certain she was fabricated for the film, but who knows if similarity existed.

My Onna Bushi unit in MP is named Tomoe Gozen.

I've never heard of Shingen having such a unit or even anyone in his service with that name. I think KittySN is spot on. In general, my understanding is that there are few recorded instances of females going into battle during the Sengoku period. Mind you that period is not my specialty, so I could be wrong.

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru Genji View Post
    LOL

And my avatar is named Hikaru Genji. Not after the band of course!

Final Fantasy Genji armor! Just kidding, the novel.

It was a common practic for noble and of high status women to practice in combat and to participate in defense of their keeps - I believe that is the basis for the "Onna Bushi" in S2... I have seen a number of illustrations that provide examples of that happening, though not of woman warriors in a standing army or out in the field...