Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 beta comments

Default 1.5 beta comments

love it or hate it here is the place for you to tell us what you think about the Rise of Persia mod.

Please save bugs for the bug thread

random praise is as welcome as excruciating criticism

Default Re: 1.5 beta comments

Downloading Now!

[i][b]Working for the downfall of the Dark Tosser(s) for 5 years!
    Contact me to find out about CustomPCs for the UK!
    Like My Post? - Use the Button!
    MedievalTW - Feat. The TW Wiki
    Would you like your mod hosted for free? PM Me!

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

I didn't enjoy how on some provinces there were no rebels. I conquered Italy in maybe 5 turns. I had this on H/H.

I really like the skins.

The banners need to be changed, but it's a beta so it doesn't matter.

I would give this a 7/10.

edit- Are the hoplitai supposed to look like midgets? I was laughing for a while.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

We have plans to beef up certain areas on the map toa very high rebel strength. Unfortunately the amount of time that it takes to implement rebels for every area is too much when Nero has so many other jobs. However that should be one of the only areas that suffers from low rebel strength. The main part of the map balances out quite well.

We have Kaweh K. who will be working on the banners but for now i just turn the banners off. It looks better that way i think.

I didn't notice the hoplites being shorter than any others - could you be more specific?

.Socrates's Avatar I Love You

It seems that in RTW that they're taller. It might have been the stance, though.

I was talking about ALL the hoplitai in RoP.
    Originally under the patronage of RZZZA. Under the patronage of the Black Prince, in the Royal House of the Black Prince.

^updated 6/28/10 (Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life)

well im fairly sure no instructions were given to change the height of our models.

only one you havent seen yet.

im at 80% woooooo!!!!!! I will post a comment later, i got to go back to sleep.

I could hire chariot units after building just a blacksmith, without any stables.

Maybe this was intended but seems strange.

(P.S. I hope the final Pandyan color is not pink.)

Thanks for your time.

Persian Sparabara fought in the same way as the hoplites for me (spear overhand, which was odd).

I think it might be a good idea if the generic placeholder units were made to be suited and not using essentially vanilla models. For example - a generic spearman, archer, and cavalry unit for the near east (something like the Pando something spearmen in EB), one for greece/italy, one for eastern europe/steppe. That would replace the currently falx-wielding generic infantry. Or make factions have placeholders for their most similiar neighbor (For example, media might have a lot of the persian models instead of soley greek hoplite placeholders)

I really like the hoplite's - I also wonder that if you have access to skinners, the generic hoplites might have a slight variety in skin depending on group.

All in all, great beta!

@Carsten Thats odd indeed - and noted.

@Ahiga
    Practically all spearmen of the age fought overhand - i can get you the evidence for the persians if you really don't trust me. Hell i know i wouldn't

Again its a matter of time with sorting out placeholders - as Nero said this is more of a demo than a beta. We just wanted to give you guys something to enjoy while we put together the real deal.

By the next release you shouldnt have to worry about any of the generic units. However i see exactly what you mean.

for the hoplites do you mean the ZoR hoplites need more variety for skins? That really would involve many units with the exact same stats but would look good visually. Right now the greater modelling/skinning task is to sort out factions with nothing.

But suggestion noted - indeed keep them coming!

Thanks for the comments

I couldn't resist a quick look at the campaign map (I chose the spartans of course). The map looks awesome, and the units look great too. One thing i questioned though were the spartan units themselves. Never have i been able to play sparta as a faction before and so i couldnt wait to see the spartan units themselves. From what i have seen there are two spartan hoplites, having only 2 doesnt bother me, but the quality of them does. Frankly they seemed a little crap. 9 defense 21 attack for your bog standard hoplite that everyone has from the start. 11, 17 for the first spartan? 1 hit point? Sure you get morale and stamina bonuses but you pay a fortune extra as well. The next spartans although probably the strongest unit in the game (as they should be) weren't as good as i would have expected either.

Basically when it came down to choosing between a spartan and a rubbish hoplite i chose the cheap hoplite. Am i missing something here? My criticism is based on stats alone so maybe its unfounded. TBH i was expecting them to have 2 hit points and basically, be the best unit by a mile. I think if they were a lot stronger but had a much higher build time that would be awesome imo (strong but rare - just like real spartans).

Anway, sorry about that - i love the spartans Other than that your mod looks great, well done.

well i can sort you out here no problemo

we are using A stat system utterly diffferent to vannila RTW Soooo the fact that the spartans seem different compared to what you are used to is NOT a problem.

The spartans are balanced compared to what they are historically capable of. Ive seen the stats tables and believe you me, the Spartans out do everyone in morale! (and i mean by a lot!)

You have to put them in the context of everyone else - and i have to say they rock the heavy infantry role.

Basically, compared to the others they are the most fearsome infantry unit. Its just the stats system we are using takes EVERYONE much lower.

sorry im not so articulate right now, but what i mean is the spartans are still spartan.

im sure zenith darksea can give a better explanation

I am not sure if this is a bug report or a map comment.
    I think there may be a trade route problem in the bottleneck of the Persian Gulf (the strait of Hormuz)
    and it may be because of the small island there.

I had ports in all 6 provinces on the Persian Gulf,
    but the one for Maka (near the peninsula in the strait),
    had no trade route going to Pathragada's port very close to it. It only had a route twisting around the peninsula and going east to Harmozia. Maka's province has copper and Pathragada's (Persis) has lead, so I would expect trade, but they showed none in settlement trade scrolls. There was no route from Maka to Taoke, although I do not know if this is because of a distance limit.

Also a route going east from Pathragada's port to Pura's has a twisted appearance
    like it goes into one part of the small island and
    out another. The island seems not to be
    useful. I could only land an army on the west end
    and could not build a tower there.

P.S. I like the loading screens and Eastern proverbs.

Edit: OK, there may have been a rebel boat nearby which blocked the trade route. Sorry.
    Last edited by Carsten; June 11, 2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: info change

Realy good job. This mod is great. Everything runs smooth. Wow. However i played as Persia and noticed the citiez are on the wrong places. (Babylon should be on Eufrat not on Tigris and Assur should be on Tigris not middle in the desert.) Pathragada,s port cold be moved little to the right, there is a perfect spot for it. First I wasnt realy interested on this mod but as i played your beta, it is my favorite one, even map colors are perfectly done. Thanks Rise of Persia Team.

The mod is great, just got a little tired of the placeholder units, but else it's great!

Indeed this mod is indeed great, I did get a lil bored playing it though becouse of the lack of units(btw those who are in the beta are really really frekkin nice!!), sooo can't wait for the next release!! ^.^

Spartan1015's Avatar Semisalis

I know this is still a beta, i have a really good comp. but it runs to slow......... Love the skins but theres not enough units in this game. Wheres everything at! 6/10
    im just saying, i really expected a little more, i hope u guys make some changes, but its still cool
    "The Spartan Don't Ask How Many, Only Where They Are - Agis of Sparta 415BC"
    Fenix Maximus - Lost Son Of Ares And Aphrodite, Trained By The Gods And Spartans, Everything Else Is Unknown About The Great Hero.

What do you mean, "running slow"? This is the first time, we hear about that.

I fully agree, there are not enough units yet, but we are creating them. As clearly pointed out, this open beta is a mere base, nothing more.
    Stay tuned, the first preview of a new reworked faction is to exspect with two weeks or so.

As for the Spartans, I'll take a look into that.
    Ρέζου λογίου πελάτης (Client of the eloquent Rez)

NICE mod, i really love this kind of mods of aceint time (like this or hegemonia city states, or paeninsula italica)

i specially liked this , as a history fan, to learn more about acient asia minor, we all know everything (and love ) about rome, but on most palces they dont teach much about asia minor other than bab , egypt , phoenicia, and the only thing they say about persia is that they conquered all asia minor, and then were conquered by Aexander...lol

also the persians are always the bad guys, I really liked the fact of using them as the most importat faction on this mod, i hate when isee a movie and a greek hoptile , no matter if spartan or not, kills 10000000000 persians soliders....like if thouse guys were thugs or something, i love the pre-muslim middle east culture, and movies really trangiverse it.

about the gameplay, well on VH/H , my standart , I chosed, of corse as most kids i know but becouse i wanted to start form grece ...and atheneans were gay .. Sparta.

well cool just having the sparta city and all lakemodonia or however its called...but Sparta had -2000+ income... irealized this mod wa sinplayable on that kind of dificult, unless i Blitzkrieged (fast conquer) all greece, wich is something i don't want to do cus i wanna have the atheneans live for a while.

everything else is cool, but iwish the phoenicians and babs were playable..and more units of corse.

BTW Hannibal i agree with Princeo fPersia, about the spartan thing, and i wish to add, that unlike RTW , here u can (i tihnk) create spartans everywere , nnot just on sparta thats why they just have 1 hit point.

PS: I REALLY LOVED PLAYING A GAME WITHOUT STUPID BARBARIANS!!!! gosh im am roman decendant and therefore i dont stand em.

History is a set of lies agreed upon.
    - Nappy B.

The only fact in history.

As for the Spartans, concerning raw stats, they have no advantage over the usual hoplites. Their advantages are a way better disclipline, training and moral, which is historical. Actually, the Spartan arms and armour were often a bit old-fashioned compared to those of Athens e.g.

We are working hard to finish the factions and replace the placeholders with historical units. The Babylonian units are done, we will preview them later on.
    Ρέζου λογίου πελάτης (Client of the eloquent Rez)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast