Thread: Life And Death

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Life And Death

... or also: What's the sense of Life and Death, in philosophical meaning?

*.*

I personally go with an apparent simplicity: The Mortality Gives Life Its Sense.

Plus: Mortality gives every life and thing on earth its sense and its beauty.

Example: Look at a rose ... a rose is beautiful, because of the blossom time, a rose asks not for something, a rose is ... perfection of life ... for a moment.

*.*

Hans Holbein d. J., Die Gesandten (The Ambassadors), 1533/London

What tells us this picture?

*.*

Do we have to fear the death?

When life is, death is not.
    When death is, life is not.
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 18, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Default Re: Life And Death

There is death in life,
    There must be life in death,
    There cannot be one without the other
    Pure Logic

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

If I don’t have a deadline to work to I never get anything done.
    Ageing, disease and death are the ultimate deadline.
    It is difficult to appreciate things until they are gone.
    Morbidity and mortality force us to appreciate what we have.
    Even so there is no higher meaning to it. From the Sun’s perspective we would be as insignificant as bacteria are to us. We age and die because of the immutable physical laws of the Universe. If we can get something from the hard facts of reality and use that to our advantage then all well and good, but it is just whistling into the winds of time. Our thoughts and beliefs have no intrinsic value unless it is to numb the pain.
    “Cretans, always liars” Epimenides (of Crete)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTechmarine View Post
    There is death in life,
    There must be life in death,
    There cannot be one without the other
    Pure Logic
    That's terrible logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

It’s not logic. It is deliberately moving between different word definitions in order to create an apparently logical argument. It is the opposite of logic. It is a logical fallacy.

Death is an absence of life following a period of being alive. No more and no less.
    So it is not ‘in life’.
    Neither is life ‘in death’.
    It is true that you cannot die without having been alive but the observation is not instructive and is not linked to the two preceding untruthful statements.
    “Cretans, always liars” Epimenides (of Crete)

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetRegistered View Post
    That's terrible logic.
    Thats awesome logic.

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTechmarine View Post
    Thats awesome logic.
    End thread.

Now, wouldn't that have gone better on a blog?

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    When life is, death is not.
    When death is, life is not.
    -->

Life is death.
    Death is life.

-->

Birth is inevitable death.
    New life wasn't before existing.

-->

The living feed on dead/killed things.

-->

Life = Death
    Death = Life

-->

I Dunno!

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Life is an organismic state characterized by capacity for (at least 2 of) metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction whereas death is a lack of these.
    Without mortality our lives would be completely meaningless: why do anything now if you have an eternity to do it in, everything can wait indefinitely.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Without mortality our lives would be completely meaningless: why do anything now if you have an eternity to do it in, everything can wait indefinitely.
    A good thought.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Life is an organismic state characterized by capacity for (at least 2 of) metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction whereas death is a lack of these.
    Life is always meaningless to me even with mortality. I pick up something to do because I'm still alive and need to keep myself occupied, to suppress bad feelings - not that I really want to do anything.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Instead of trying to suppress your negative emotions you should try to rid your mind of them. Suppressing them only makes them build up until you won't be able to suppress them anymore.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Patrician Artifex

Well no, that thinking is a (luxury) modern human view only, and a rough philosophical, too, not a practical that is feasable in real life, and thus not a helpful philosophy - just you have to do something in our societies, we have daily constraints, that wouldn't change if life would be eternal. And think more about animals and early humans in this regard. Just animals don't know about mortality as we do, but they act and care for their life. And early humans viewed death not so fearful, just as death would be another phase of being, but certainly they acted and cared about their life, otherwise humans didn't survive as species (same with all animals which survived the selective evolution), it's in us to do action. I think it's saved in all creatures, the knowing of the precious life, life is action and no-action is death, life is also the knowledge that we have to use the time, if a creature does not use its time, it is sick (either physically ill or mentally/psychologically ... in the grand scale will die out), "does not use" in the sense of laid-back i have all time because it's eternal doesn't function.
    Btw., i see the human consciousness about mortality as reason for the development of religion, which is the seek for an anchor out of the nirvana (where life is not) or "there must be something more after death" until even "i must get a loan in an after-life for all my good efforts", and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by SparksNow View Post
    -->

Life is death.
    Death is life.

-->

Birth is inevitable death.
    New life wasn't before existing.

-->

The living feed on dead/killed things.

-->

Life = Death
    Death = Life

-->

I Dunno!
    Agree to the two middle statements/formulas.
    True is that life is a process to death from on the first moment of life, death is looking all the time over our shoulders (of every creature), can happen every moment. Life and death belong together but it is not life is death and death is life.
    Just, when life is, death is not, and vice versa, is the absolute view, there are imo. no other formulas for the absolute view of life and death.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 13, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

(...) Just animals don't know about mortality as we do, but they act and care for their life.
    Yes, they don't fight death, which they have no certain idea of, but they fight to be (as per se) - [following for mammals/dogs eg.:] to be able to breathe, to be able to eat and drink, to be to have fun sex (sex!; but not procreation which is a human idea), to be able to have fun/play and to be able to be a part of the pack and cuddle and relax.

And early humans viewed death not so fearful, just as death would be another phase of being, but certainly they acted and cared about their life, otherwise humans didn't survive as species (same with all animals which survived the selective evolution), it's in us to do action. I think it's saved in all creatures, the knowing of the precious life, life is action and no-action is death, life is also the knowledge that we have to use the time, if a creature does not use its time, it is sick (either physically ill or mentally/psychologically ... in the grand scale will die out), "does not use" in the sense of laid-back i have all time because it's eternal doesn't function.
    I agree, but I think you missed out, that early humans were certainly not less social and altruistic than the dogs they came to make their comrades.

Btw., i see the human consciousness about mortality as reason for the development of religion, which is the seek for an anchor out of the nirvana (where life is not) or "there must be something more after death" until even "i must get a loan in an after-life for all my good efforts", and so on.
    I can't really see, in an otherwise comprehensible statement, that nirvana (which isn't "where life is not") is a belief that has to be overcome. "i must get a loan in an after-life for all my good efforts", and so on - is more an idea that, imo, is worth overcoming.

Agree to the two middle statements/formulas.
    True is that life is a process to death from on the first moment of life, death is looking all the time over our shoulders (of every creature), can happen every moment. Life and death belong together but it is not life is death and death is life.
    Just, when life is, death is not, and vice versa, is the absolute view, there are imo. no other formulas for the absolute view of life and death.
    What I was saying is:

Life is birth, is being, is decay, is death.
    Death is resource (of dead things), is birth, is being.

Birth is eventually and inevitable death.
    There is no new life without death (= killed/dead plants, killed/dead animals, dead/passive air).

All living beings feed on death [self evident].

Thus...

Life IS death.
    Death IS life.

That's no metaphysical crap, it's fact.

Patrician Artifex

... for my taste you go too far into a nature-scientific "philosophy" for this theme here in the philosophy forum section with your formulas about life and death, they are not really tensing or interesting but mere dry for this section, because you are of course right in factual and physical view, but this is actually merely boring here in this section, and first i misunderstood you, as i didn't realise that you mean the things as you wrote them, as physical facts with nature-scientific background.

Here it is pure philosophy - for this thread it is the thinking about life and death as meaning for us humans, just not for the nature/environment and bio-cycle ... and i see no need to explain the physical/biological relations of life and death on earth for this philosophy theme, except you would meet here religious believers who partly have no clue about nature-science or ignore it. And i aim also not for the metaphysic/esoteric view, not at all (i can't take esoteric guys serious anymore), just pure simple philosophy, which is perhaps a kind of 'existentialism' for this theme, but factual nature-science related views about life and death here, hm ... doesn't fit imo.. Naturalism, well ... perhaps i have put the nature idea into you with the intitial example of the rose? Maybe a mistake, but i found it good as "symbol and picture" for the life and death theme with the background, why do we humans think about life and death that much or fear the theme death but other life forms on earth not, this makes us humans somehow unique, and here we have the comparison to animals and plants ... ie. the thought, the higher the intelligence of a life-form, the higher the fear for not being and the seek after an idea to escape from this fear, and makes that sense for the human evolution or ie. is it even a necessarity and so on.

However the 1st post content was mainly meant as thinking-aspect for "do we have to fear death?", and just the meaning of death for us when we are still alive and for our plans in life, no bio-cycle, we are not in a biology-class here, ok.

[It is difficult here as for language barriers, for me at least, as those items are really very complex, and my english-knowledge is too limited to express/write/communicate properly in a non-mothertongue about science and philosophy things, i should stop it].
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 16, 2012 at 09:11 PM.