Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has that horrible Lag with Loke-Rim been fixed?

Senator

Default Has that horrible Lag with Loke-Rim been fixed?

Not sure with the namming of the units but its those Rhunic golden ones. But has that horrible laggy framerate been fixed with the unit? :S

The Record of Lodoss War, The Mother of all Epic High Fantasy stories.

Default Re: Has that horrible Lag with Loke-Rim been fixed?

Yes, we have fixed the horrible lag by buying all tatw players new graphics cards and single core processors. Rejoice!

Just grab a handful of this stuff and jam it (hard) into your pc case. Lag gone or your money back.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Agreed, i dont have any lag with those guys.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

I do but my computer is crap

I will take 5 Jean.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I don't have any lag either
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Nope, TATW runs pretty smooth overall I haven't seen any unit-related lag at all. The only lag I have experienced is when a lot of archers are shooting at weathertop. (I'm running everything on utra though so that might be the problem )
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Trailhog250's Avatar Semisalis

+rep JAC

The only time I lag is with Shadows on. It can be: low, medium, high, or ultra and it lags. I run everything else maxed out at 1920x1080 though with no problem. I even tried lowering everything to the lowest possible and at 800x600 and turned shadows on low and it still lagged. My PC config must not like M2TW's shadows. Though ETW and other games run fine... Not big deal. Shadows are not important anyway, just a black thing on the ground. It's the resolution and unit textures that count in my book.

EDIT: If you lag, maybe the link in my sig can help you

The high tier Rhun units have a lot of verts (more than they need really), and on top of that the units have no lod's (simpler models to view at a distance). This can cause a big drain, which is very noticeable on crap PC's, and even really good ones in big battles. Just go into modelsdb and change for example 6400 in; "47 unit_models/_Units/rhun/rhun_balchoth_lod0.mesh 6400", to a lower number (half or less) for each "golden" unit. The lower the better if you have a really crap PC. This will cause the sprites (animated 2d art) to kick in sooner when you zoom out, meaning less lag. Problem solved. Only problem is they look like crap sooner because you see the 2d art instead of the 3d art sooner. I bet their is a tutorial on how to make lod's for units automatically, it is easy. You could give that a try instead.

@JAL, aren't you supposed to help people? And not make them feel stupid? Or am I stupid for asking that? That was a funny joke though.

P.S. (hard)
    Last edited by alreadyded; March 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Just go into modelsdb and change for example 6400 in; "47 unit_models/_Units/rhun/rhun_balchoth_lod0.mesh 6400", to a lower number (half or less) for each "golden" unit. The lower the better if you have a really crap PC. This will cause the sprites (animated 2d art) to kick in sooner when you zoom out, meaning less lag. Problem solved. Only problem is they look like crap sooner because you see the 2d art instead of the 3d art sooner. I bet their is a tutorial on how to make lod's for units automatically, it is easy. You could give that a try instead.
    Well, if that's the problem simply adjust the 'Unit Detail'. It does not change the way they look close up at all in M2TW. They still look great, just they appear as sprites sooner. What setting do you have it on Deedlit? If on Ultra perhaps drop it to Medium. I can't remember if I use Ultra or High... Only Shadows lag my game to hell. On Low though... They look rather Horrid. It's as if I'm playing LoTR Conquest But still, Low Unit Detail would be better than dropping the Shader Model, Textures, or Resolution.

@JAL, aren't you supposed to help people? And not make them feel stupid? Or am I stupid for asking that? That was a funny joke though.

P.S. (hard)
    Shame on you ()

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250 View Post
    Well, if that's the problem simply adjust the 'Unit Detail'. It does not change the way they look close up at all in M2TW. They still look great, just they appear as sprites sooner. What setting do you have it on Deedlit? If on Ultra perhaps drop it to Medium. I can't remember if I use Ultra or High... Only Shadows lag my game to hell. On Low though... They look rather Horrid. It's as if I'm playing LoTR Conquest But still, Low Unit Detail would be better than dropping the Shader Model, Textures, or Resolution.

Shame on you ()

That will lower the quality of all units in the game though, my way only effects those units which are actually causing the lag. Either will work though.

That will lower the quality of all units in the game though, my way only effects those units which are actually causing the lag. Either will work though.

True it will lower the quality. But up close the units will still look the same. They'll just be rendered as 2d sprites much sooner when zooming out. But yes... Either method should work. +rep

My solution for my previous slow graphic card was to resize the textures by 50%... it helped.

Sorry to necro this thread guys, I just wanted to comment that yes, those golden units from Rhun cause a considerable framerate drop, I play on huge unit scale, everything maxed and only when I have those units on the field my PC experiences a framerate drop from around 40-50 fps to 19-25 fps and it's not a matter of hardware, my computer is top end and I can play any existing video game up to this day in maximum settings with good framerate(35-60 fps), I can't imagine the fps drop it causes to medium and low end computers, there's something wrong with those units.

Top end computers cannot always handle older games properly unfortunately, ie: this game only uses 1 processor rendering many single core CPUs superior to some very high end quad, hexa, and 8 core processors. You could have 4 16 core processors and out of those 64 threads... This game will only use 1

Perhaps you could.. Overclock!!!

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

I do have to agree. Pressed quick battle once, loaded a Rhun vs Dale battle (I have a i7 870, GT 450 (6850 before), SSD, 8GB RAM, game made LAA aware (more than 2GB of RAM aware) with maximum settings on and ENBSeries), the game only lagged when I looked at the golden units. I could look at the massive dale army with unit detail on highest (higher than in-game max) and get an extremely good FPS. The moment I looked at the golden units my FPS tanked.

if you still want to see the units in detail you can lowers the settings of grass shadows building and trees. it helps in my game with a so so comp

Or shadows, those are the killers of your fps.

Senator

i've got a pretty high spec laptop that i only bought about a month ago and it still seemed a bit laggy at times when fighting an assault by a stack full of Loke-Rim units on a city (i lost, but did them heavy enough casualties that my main field army could kill them)

Don't know if that was down to graphics or if it was some AI problem - some of the Loke-Rim units seemed to just stay near the walls for ages and got shot by towers before they finally assaulted the town square

True high end laptops still dont really exist compared to desktops.

Those guys lag for me too. What I did was change the distance in which the 3d models transition to 2d sprites much closer in. I found out that no matter how far I zoomed out, they remained 3d models. Making it so that no matter how close I zoom into them, they still remain sprites improved the framerate tremendously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast