Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: NTW3 v9.3 1805 Campaign info for players

Default Re: SP news...

I had thought along time ago that the armed citizen was being removed from the game like it should be. Replacing the armed citizen with a militia or garrison unit. This did not happen?

I think the reason that we did not change them is a lot of the factors for Armed citizens are hardcoded (more like Davn was a little too scared to change them). We have managed to change some factors for them that they will react better, they will start out in a blob but then will spread out and get into a formation.

The blob is an issue that no one knows how to fix it. Armed citizens do not trigger it, it just happens to be in NTW that most of the time that you attack and the AI is defending is during a siege battle. I think it is either a start positions problem or a defencive deployment formation error.

I agree with you Bill about replacing them with milita as I was the one who first suggested it but with only a few loyal beta testers it is easier said than done. I'll look into it again, but I don't know if it is going to fix the problem.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bill View Post
    I had thought along time ago that the armed citizen was being removed from the game like it should be. Replacing the armed citizen with a militia or garrison unit. This did not happen?
    We did not think that we could take the Armed Citizen units out of the campaign game. They are recruited by the AI when you siege & attack a city and take zero turns to recruit at no cost so they're available immediately. But we did change their unit stats so they act like low level Militia now. We will lower the charge bonus from 11 down to 8 so they are less likely to do a melee charge.

The U_AI mod that Hedge Knight made was added to the SP campaign game before it was released back in February. It brought a lot of improvements to the game play and also added more formations for the AI to use. I think this may be a bit confusing sometimes for the AI to use quickly, especially in large battles. It's might be worth looking into
    Last edited by Lord Davn; September 03, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

This sounds like some great improvements! Not to be pushy but when can we expect this patch release? Cheers for all your hard work btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler118 View Post
    This sounds like some great improvements! Not to be pushy but when can we expect this patch release? Cheers for all your hard work btw!
    Yes it has been a lot of work by a lot people. Lord Cappone has put in many hours to get the 500 NTW3 units into the campaign game, and more hours by a very small group of dedicated players to get these units to work in game.

NTW3 Campaign recruitment for French Grande Arm'ee

The barrack revisions are complete, now we will start work to remove the (vanilla) units from the campaign that are not being used and cause the CTD's. We want to release a good campaign game to the NTW community sometime this month. For those anxious players I would suggest you download the NTW3 v2 mod and play some MP battles to get familiar with all of the units. The online games are also quite challenging and will sharpen your NTW skills:
    Last edited by Lord Davn; December 22, 2015 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davn33 View Post
    The U_AI mod that Hedge Knight made was added to the SP campaign game before it was released back in February. It brought a lot of improvements to the game play and also added more formations for the AI to use. I think this may be a bit confusing sometimes for the AI to use quickly, especially in large battles. It's might be worth looking into

I have to say that the offensive BAI on this mod is probably the best i have tested. Every battle the enemy uses combined arms to try and break my line. The use of cavalry, although not perfect, is very aggressive and keeps me on my toes! I had to take a picture of one battle i had where i was desperately trying to hold the center as the French attack columns came smashing into my British two man deep line!

However, the BAI does not know how to defend. I have had a number of battles now where i have outnumbered and out-positioned the enemy but it has still gone on the offensive. It does become a bit frustrating that in some battles you try and go on the offensive, but then an overly aggressive scouting decides to become heroes!

Also, i have noticed that the BAI is very similar in terms of style. The enemy always adopts similar format. I was wondering if this could be changed to be more varied from nation to nation or even commander to commander? For example, France very aggressive and Austria very defensive, some commanders to be defensive and cautious others bold and daring.

PS. Hope the pic loaded on, first time trying that.

A quick count of the units we now have in the NTW3 v2 campaign revision is 705

-Six Major factions (Austria, Britain, France, Ottomans, Prussia & Russia) NTW3 mods =243
    -Eleven minor factions (Bavaria, Hessen, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Sweden etc.) NTW3 mods =238
    -Six mini factions (Swiss, Papal, Sicily, Sardinia, Oldenberg, Mecklenberg) CA units =52
    -Fifteen Emergent factions (those that emerge when given Protectorate status)
    ...Belgium, Brittany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Norway, Poland, Sweden, etc.) CA units except Poland =172

Meanwhile the folks at CA are touting their NEW Rome Game will have 700 units:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=560943
    sorry guys the Lordz Modding Collective has a few up on you already

Good work Lord Davn... Iam eagerly waiting for my first SP game.

Quote Originally Posted by [N]Fullin View Post
    I am eagerly waiting for my first SP game.
    We are working hard to complete the campaign patch. I'm sure you and our players will see many improvements in our NTW3 v2.2 Campaign game
    Last edited by Lord Davn; September 24, 2012 at 09:25 AM.

Fencible's Avatar Civis

I continue to intensely enjoy the current NTW3 SP version and can only imagine how great the update will be. As far as the recruiting of heavy cavalry goes, however, the Empire and Napoleon TW series have always had it backwards. To be more historically correct, heavy cavalry should be default type available for recruitment from the start of a campaign in Europe. Light cavalry were the 'new' elite type of cavalry that developed in most of Europe during the 18th century. It should therefore only be available to players after developing more advanced buildings. I do appreciate that NTW3 correctly gives heavy cavalry less stamina and speed than light cavalry. Light cavalry is so much more useful during the pursuit of fleeing enemy units after obtaining a victory, and is ultimately more valuable than heavy cavalry - in my opinion. Light cavalry required training in more skill sets than heavy - screening, scouting, and pursuit - and light cavalry leaders required more initiative and independent thinking to fulfill those roles. Heavy cavalry was trained to formate and charge, and that was about it.

I look forward very much to the upcoming update, and thank the gifted developers for their dedication and hard work.

Fencible
    Last edited by Fencible; September 23, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencible View Post
    Light cavalry were the 'new' elite type of cavalry that developed in most of Europe during the 18th century. It should therefore only be available to players after developing more advanced buildings.

Light cavalry required training in more skill sets than heavy - screening, scouting, and pursuit - and light cavalry leaders required more initiative and independent thinking to fulfill those roles. Heavy cavalry was trained to formate and charge, and that was about it. Fencible
    I've taken lessons and rode horses for a number of years so I know the time & training it takes to become a proficient rider

While I'm not a Napoleonic historian the reading I've done on Wikipedia notes the Lancer Cavalry (called Ułan in Polish and Uhlan in German) had been used by the European armies earlier in the century. The first Uhlan regiments were created in the early 18th century in Polish–Lithuanian in 1720s. As the developments on the battlefield and large size of the armies made heavy armor obsolete (but retained by the cuirassier regiments), lighter units became the core of the cavalry, distinguished only by their men and mounts size, and tasks performed, whether reconnaissance, skirmish or direct charge.

It appears that the Lancers had mixed results in earlier wars but did appear to have a resurgence of use during the Napoleonic Wars. After the start of the Napoleonic Wars, Uhlan formations were raised by the Duchy of Warsaw. Polish lancers serving with the French Army included the Vistula Legion and the Chevaux-légers lanciers de la Garde Impériale. After the Battle of Somosierra, Napoleon Bonaparte said that one Polish cavalryman was worth ten French soldiers. Quite a statement to make especially for the French Emperor. During and after the Napoleonic Wars cavalry regiments armed with lances were formed in many states throughout Europe, including the armies of the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Russia.

Several members of our SPC group have discussed this issue and we are trying to address the fact that Lancer Cavalry came along later in the 1805 campaign. We are removing the Lancer units that were not present at the start of the 1805 campaign and making them available at later dates through advanced buildings.

Happy Trails
    Last edited by Lord Davn; October 09, 2018 at 12:30 AM.

Fencible's Avatar Civis

Thank you, Lord Davn, I applaud your initiative in this matter.

Fencible

Default A question

It will be a self-installing mod?

Default Re: A question

Quote Originally Posted by MARMONT View Post
    It will be a self-installing mod?
    Yes it will be easy to install like previous NTW3 mods

Default Re: A question

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Davn View Post
    Yes it will be easy to install like previous NTW3 mods
    Thanks for the replay Lord Dawn, I hope we will have it very soon...

Forgive the error.... Lord Davn

A shameless plug, have you no honor sir

NTW3 v2 with 23 playable factions & over 705 units to do battle with (more than the new Rome II that CA is working on).
    Last edited by Lord Davn; December 22, 2015 at 01:36 PM.

Northman75's Avatar Tiro

I am relativ new to Napoleon TW and looking around for some good mods (have already tried the excelent LME4) and I am really looking forward to this one, it looks superb. Cant wait to get my hands on it (hope it doesnt take to long...).

a request (if possible): from the beginning (1805) the kingdom of Naples ally of France (historically from 1806), the uniforms of the troops are already those...

Excited, thanks in advance!!!