Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: NTW3 v9.3 1805 Campaign info for players

Default Re: NTW3|SP Campaign Updates

There has never been a smart AI in any total war game game, i doubt rome 2 will be any different unless you wish to bump it up to very hard,but this doesnt improve the AI it just gives it a bigger advantage in morale etc...
    Dont be fooled by these claims every demonstration game i have seen so far the AI could of been hammer and anviled to death but the human either didn t wish to or was incapable of doing it i assume its the first as it wouldn t look very impressive for pre game orders.
    The human mind has always and will always be the only way to pit your wits in this genre....
    The AI in empire and its patch napoleon was actually retarded on release.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercian_Mouth View Post
    crappy AI on Rome 2? i take it you haven't seen the demonstration video of how smart the AI is on Rome 2?
    Yes I have. And I'm certain that in those vids, we're only being shown what they want to see. Leaving aside bai, campaign ai and diplomacy on every iteration of the tw series has been deeply flawed.
    I'm very much looking forward to playing the game, but think that it won't really reach its peak in playability until its been heavily modded. In the meantime I'm really looking forward to this release as the missing part for me in this mod is a viable campaign game.

Lord Davn's Avatar Senator

While we have made improvements to the AI (using Hedge Knights mod & some of our own adjustments) it is still based on the AI that CA developed for NTW. It does have a few surprises at times and other times it's totally stupid. Best bet is do drop in battles with a human opponent that will give you a real challenge & good fight
    Last edited by Lord Davn; August 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    Will that be a quick patch upcoming soon, or gonna be a bit of a wait?
    I think I'm gonna wait for the FOW to be reintegrated before settling into a campaign proper.
    Also what kind of other stuff is gonna be included when you say making the SPC more challenging?
    l plan do an update within several weeks to address issues that players bring up. With over 600+ recruitable units in the game we were not able to test everyone and there are bound to be some bugged ones.

The FoW will be put back in at that time but it's not really required if you uncheck the "Show CPU moves" (in the SPC options screen shown below) and keep your camera focused in on your home region during the turn rollover.

The improvements will be harder victory conditions, relocated & combined armies and improved military buildings in the region towns.
    Last edited by Lord Davn; December 22, 2015 at 02:06 PM.

Campidoctor

So there's no way for us to manually just turn on FOW as it is right now? What's the problem with it? Or do you have to specifically program how it works or something, I don't know anything about it, just thought it's always there doing it's job. I could do the workaround of not peeking outside my zones, but that just doesn't do it for me for some reason, I like having certain things visible some not, trade routes affecting it, all the stuff that comes with it. But I know I can't wait several more weeks until the patch to bring it back to start a campaign... damn it.

Relocated and combined armies meaning the ones that currently exist at the beginning of the campaign will be altered, and instead of lets say two small separate armies it would be one bigger one? And what will the improved military buildings do, give more bonuses to troops being trained?

Holy, I am hyped for a SP version of NTW3, preferably without the LoS system because it's SP. (Perhaps it's already stated somewhere but I'm quite sleepy by now to think clearly)

Keep it up Lordz!
    炸鸡

Still new to NTW3 - Installed 3.4 but how can you choose to play as one of the minor factions in the SP Campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyedgiant1 View Post
    Still new to NTW3 - installed 3.4 but wanted to play in the SP as a minor faction ... where do you go to choose them?
    As it says in the at the top of the mod release page:
    Notes & help to play the SP Campaign are posted here on our TWC thread:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...mpaign-Updates

im a bit disapointed because after playing about 4 different factions France Britian Russia and Austria every one of these ive plaid have crashed on about the 3-5 turn i click on the turn button and then it just crashes to desktop. also im very disapointed in that it did say when you play a battle in the campaign game the maps are supposed to be the lordz maps but its not its the same battle maps as always?

Quote Originally Posted by kirk101 View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed because after playing about 4 different factions France Britain Russia and Austria every one of these I've plaid have crashed on about the 3-5 turn
    There is a known bug with the British faction and we are working to fix it. As for the other factions they seam to be working for the other players and I'd suggest you make sure you are not running any other mods with NTW3 v3.4. (Notes to help Campaign players are posted on page one of this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Davn View Post
    There is a known bug with the British faction and we are working to fix it. As for the other factions they seam to be working for the other players and I'd suggest you make sure you are not running any other mods with NTW3 v3.4. (Notes to help Campaign players are posted on page one of this thread).
    can you answer the other query regarding when playing a campaign battle that i assumed you were installing the lordz battle maps in the campaign as ive had about 4-5 battles and none have shown are they the same battle maps as in the multiplayer maps

Playing as France, Windows 7, vanilla install under 3.4, crashes EVERY TIME after Early February 1806. GREAT BETA TESTING GUYS!!! Back to vanilla for me.

Quote Originally Posted by areyoukiddingme? View Post
    Playing as France, Windows 7, vanilla install under 3.4, crashes EVERY TIME after Early February 1806. GREAT BETA TESTING GUYS!!! Back to vanilla for me.
    We are working to correct the problems, if it makes you feel better send me $59.98 and I'll put a patch out next week like CA is doing for their new TW game

Lord Davn
    Could you answer kirks question in regards to the single player battle maps being composed of lordz created maps as I am curious about this myself and it is stated in the singler player synopsis that this was a feature
    Thank you in advance

Lord Davn
    Could you answer kirks question in regards to the single player battle maps being composed of lordz created maps as I am curious about this myself and it is stated in the singler player synopsis that this was a feature
    Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by kirk101 View Post
    can you answer the other query regarding when playing a campaign battle that i assumed you were installing the lordz battle maps in the campaign as ive had about 4-5 battles and none have shown are they the same battle maps as in the multiplayer maps
    I will check to see if the SP Campaign is configured to load any of our NTW3 custom battle maps.

guess not huh?

The battle maps are generated from the campaign map to resemble the terrain that the units are engaged on. If a town is nearby it will show up on the battle map. Adding our NTW3 custom campaign maps may cause additional problems with the campaign battles. You can always access them by playing the MP battles with all of the custom NTW3 maps.

same question as it mentioned above . just want to see more MP maps in the BAI battle . and maybe BAI in the game still a little stupid .. but SP3.4 is still better than any other SP mod .

After ~60 turns playing as Austria w/ large unit sizes (ultra makes artillery bit pointless IMHO), I think you have done reasonable job with the overall conversion, function, and campaign setup, but my initial impressions of AI - and I know AI is always AI - still stand, and therefore I will restate the following: Infantry vs cavalry mass settings as well as artillery pivot limitations are absurdly crippling for the AI. No argument against the realism and naturalism of such decisions, but they do work best in multiplayer because (obviously) they do their best to consider terrain and whatnot for cavalry manoeuvres and artillery use. AI... not so much. Even if I adhere to some house rules (including LCS) to make it bit more fair for the AI, I have yet to see any kind of successful AI cavalry use. One time I fought up rather defensive battle against the French with relatively cavalry heavy army in terms of cavalry vs infantry ratio, what did their cavalry do? Between ½ to easily 8\10 of their cavalry is stuck behind their friendlies, so only say 5 to 10 French cuirassiers face off my own hussars - of course they are completely tired or exhausted by that point as well - and needless to say how that ends. Repeat it again and again whenever some of the troops gets off the formation, and by the time they have finally passed “through” they have anything between 30 to 60% casualties at that point. I've had much more challenging battles against mostly infantry armies than I've had with armies supported with relatively high number of heavy cavalry and artillery. Heavy cavalry is more comparable to a joke in practice, other than maybe once in a blue moon when they are not stuck and you just might have to be careful.

And then there's also the artillery issue. More often than not, AI artillery is completely separated and poorly deployed, and by the time you're already attacking or maybe broken through part of their lines, their arty just stands there running thumbs up their arse because pivoting. It desperately likes to shoot but it can't do it, and more often than not it has no idea how to redeploy either. Even better is when you somehow managed to split up AI troops in relatively large battle, basically the arty will be useless besides maybe firing few basic shots or if I intentionally would stand in the fire for half an hour before doing anything and witness the complete cluster of cavalry and infantry trying to move around. I was not expecting to completely crush nearly full stack of Russian troops with relatively good arty-cavalry-infantry balance with General, 3x Landwehr, 1x jägers, 1x arty, and 1x hussars. Somehow I did with 1:15 casualty ratio, and I suspect chiefly because most of their cavalry was stuck between my line, AI line, and terrain playing grabarse in the woods while their arty was also stuck in patch of woodland for most of the battle deployed in such angle only one of their guns in the entire army was able to fire where most of the fighting took place.

Only one crash on battle load so far however, which was solved by reloading "quicksave" and trying again and the campaign map has its interesting moments every now and then, but battles? Not so much. I am perfectly aware human vs AI will always be more or less lopsided and the mechanics and overall realism put forth works very well in MP context, but the AI simply cannot cope with them. It's like giving a handicap for already handicapped person to enforce handicap-yness. Call it hyperbole if you will, but I have seen functionally better BAI behaviour w/ vanilla NTW units and stats only adapted for crude LoS system, or basically in almost every other mod there is. I may be on my own here, but to me, it ruins any kind of fun out of the campaign unless I am deliberately playing minor faction and houserule it up to the arse to make up for such simple, if glaring issues.