Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.5 Issues and Problems:

Laetus

Default Re: RS2.5 Issues and Problems:

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahane View Post
    Then came the ensigns encompassing the eagle.Wich is a the head of every roman legion... Wich seems to them a singal of dominion, and an omen that they shall conquer all against whom they march. - Josephus

I really like this quote especially since I am playing as the Romans. However, it is the only quote that I´ve seen during my time with 2.5b. It was very common in 2.1 too but now it has taken over completely. I know this is only a minor dilemma but I really liked the quotes and they do set the mood before a decisive battle. This is also my first post on these forums although I´ve played EB and the original Roma Surrectum for a couple of years. Great work on RS2.
    I think it is the only quote you'll see. It was made standard to reduce some CTD.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Read all the posts, 9 posts above yours, Ur-Lord has provided the answer to the very same question. Each faction uses a single quotation now to avoid CTD's.

SimpleCourage47's Avatar Ducenarius

Same for me except i have sun tzu ''Regard your soldiers as your children'' quote instead.

Edit: Makes sense and battles are more stable now, thank you.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    Read all the posts, 9 posts above yours, Ur-Lord has provided the answer to the very same question. Each faction uses a single quotation now to avoid CTD's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyri View Post
    I think it is the only quote you'll see. It was made standard to reduce some CTD.
    Ok, thank you guys for the fast answers and sorry for my lack of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    The single quote per game is by design - lots of evidence to support the changing of quotes actually caused CTDs....
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyri View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post

Sorry to keep this going but...the quotes were honestly causing CTDs? Granted, I know nothing about the mechanics of this mod, but that seems strange to me...

I've played a solid amount on every single RSII version, and I've never had a single CTD since 2.0 when I learned about turning off autosave, turning down unit detail, turn off AA, and giving the game time to relax after a large battle before clicking away.

But hey, I guess I was just lucky. Whatever it takes to avoid CTDs is for the greater good.

I must say though, it's pretty silly to just show the same quote time and time again. Hahaha, heck, I feel like I know Josephus's quote like the Preamble.
    Last edited by The Doubtful Guest; March 24, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

More than 1 Quote causes CTDs.

spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by The Doubtful Guest View Post
    Sorry to keep this going but...the quotes were honestly causing CTDs? Granted, I know nothing about the mechanics of this mod, but that seems strange to me...

I've played a solid amount on every single RSII version, and I've never had a single CTD since 2.0 when I learned about turning off autosave, turning down unit detail, turn off AA, and giving the game time to relax after a large battle before clicking away.

But hey, I guess I was just lucky. Whatever it takes to avoid CTDs is for the greater good.

I must say though, it's pretty silly to just show the same quote time and time again. Hahaha, heck, I feel like I know Josephus's quote like the Preamble.
    Apparently so, beta testers were surprised too, but it was discovered by Chernish (I think) and strangely does prevent them. Probably some internal data structure gets blown and it wasn't a problem until 2.5 as more stuff is included.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyPro View Post
    Hello, its been awhile since i posted in here, just recently instaled roma surrectum 2.5, been getting some CTD's, playing as rome 0turn, got couple in the middle of the battle, one that were consistent in 1st battle against Hannibal, i think it had something to do with my graphics setting i turn it down abit and it went away, 2nd one was when after battle with Hannibal i attcked 2nd carthage stack near tarentum, i think it was bcos they were ambushing me tho it doesnt make much sence for them to ambush me when im attacking them, last one and most recent was when i won the battle and was pursuing fleeing carthage guys just before finishing them off i got a CTD, couldnt recreate that one tho.
    Also i noticed some issues with some of the textures or smth not sure how to call it, some artifacts keep apearing when im traveling with my units through campaing map or when i move my mouse cursor above some of the details, its not very consistent so im not very sure what could cause this.
    There is a bug in Alex exe that will cause CTD's in ambush battles. If you use Alex, the onlt way to prevent this is to avoid ambushes. Also, if you are noticing 'artifacts', or images being displayed wrong in the battlefield your video card is having a hard time, and likely overheating. I would advise turning video quality down a bit, or using a smaller unit size.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    I have a very serious issue to report.
    I was playing the Galatian campaign, and when i did my first battle i noticed a very disturbing site.
    My general unit was a roman cavalry unit. I find this insulting! specially considering it's a "barbarian" faction!
    I demand a fix at once!
    That is one of RS2's mysterious bugs that I have yet to track down. People report it on occasion, and I try to find the cause, but there is just no ryme nor reason for it. And it doesn't happen all the time....so I'm thinking the game itself is choosing the wrong texture for that unit. But I'll keep trying to find this bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin N View Post
    How does one know if its installed correctly? Ingame that is.
    During install it overwrited fine, just curious really. I noticed new notifications about senate elections, is that something new in 2.5? It has been a while.
    Also, im getting like...a wierd lag with the battle with roman rebels in from capua sieging rome...its strange i had a perfectly lag free battle with those 2 stacks right at beginning hannibal/nepos, but a smaller battle lags? Restarting doesnt help, and it feels like ive got it running on 3 times speed when you fast forward, which usually makes me skip like this.
    As said, if the Launcher is version 2.2...you ahve the new update. Also, if you can even play the new swap factions, you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahane View Post
    Then came the ensigns encompassing the eagle.Wich is a the head of every roman legion... Wich seems to them a singal of dominion, and an omen that they shall conquer all against whom they march. - Josephus
    I really like this quote especially since I am playing as the Romans. However, it is the only quote that I´ve seen during my time with 2.5b. It was very common in 2.1 too but now it has taken over completely. I know this is only a minor dilemma but I really liked the quotes and they do set the mood before a decisive battle. This is also my first post on these forums although I´ve played EB and the original Roma Surrectum for a couple of years. Great work on RS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doubtful Guest View Post

I was a bit surprised as well that the quotes would cause after battle CTD's, but it has been confirmed without question that they are 'at least' part of the problem. Our own testing has confirmed this, and when I shared this info with the RTRVII team, they implemented it and a persistant CTD they were having with a city disappeared. So it has an effect of some kind, even though I have no clue why it would. It just may be that at that 'moment in time' when the game is transitioning from battlefield to Strat UI, there is just too much going on for the game to handle. There are hundreds of after battle trait triggers firing, unit loss calculations, settlements changing hands, determinations of where any remaining armies should go and what is left of them, messages about deaths....a lot of stuff going on. So removing the quotes was our effort to make RS2 as CTD free as possible.

Now, that said, I see above that a few people are having CTD issues. The thing is, we did enough testing to know that RS2 with this patch is probably as stable as RTW\BI can ever get....ASSUMING your PC can handle the load that RS2 invariably puts on it. If you are used to playing TW games that are largely unmodified 'environmentally', or don't use the same level of quality textures as RS2 does, then it's possible you'll have to scale down you settings. For example, I know a lot of people like to play on 'Huge' unit settings. And you can do that in a lot of mods without too much trouble. But you need to be careful when you start coupling that with a new highly detailed trees, ground textures, building textures, vegetation and the like. Some textures in RS2 are literally 4 times their original size in Vanilla in order for them to look right, and you are doubling the stress on your system when you play on Huge settings.

Personally, my own system is a 'middle of the road' one. People on this team have better systems than I do. I 'could' play on HUGE settings, but I know it would cause issues because my system just can't handle it. I have also had video cards that were at the time 'top of the line'....but they had crappy video drivers. The result was artifacts, weird things being displayed, transition screens not showing up, etc. This is likely a video driver or a heat issue (I burned up a very good Nvidia card with RS2)....so I'm just saying......experiment a bit with your system and find a setting or combination of settings that works well for you. Don't just assume you can crank everything up and not have trouble.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Just got another random battle ctd happened right after i clicked on my general unit, i was finishing off some roman rebels, im playing on huge unit settings got about 30fps on battle map with somewhat medium graphic settings.
    About my artefacts, rly doubt thats bcos my cpu is overheating (gt 555m) im playing way more demanding games w/o any problems even on direct x11. Ill try to capture it on fraps.

I believe most battle ctds in RSII come from memory issue.

As you say dvk, our textures are way bigger, but RTW can only use 2gb of ram.
    Apparently, the video card is also taking is share of memory addresses, so during or after battles, the game needs more memory than it can handle, and crash.

@Satyri I've managed to reproduce your freeze in campaign, but not in battle. It's probably an issue of soldiers being posted in the wrong section of wall, or something like that, and I'm not sure we can do something about it.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but when I recruit a general when playing the Galatian campaign it creates a legatus legionis unit? The next one I recruited was a normal Barbarian one... Any idea how come?

this happens just for very short period of time when i scroll through some part of the map and stops doing that after awhile, i know it looks like graphics card issue but its definitely not overheating, ive had problems with overheating cpu's before so i know.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Does it only happen in RS? Can you replicate it in Vanilla?

spy of the council

this happens just for very short period of time when i scroll through some part of the map and stops doing that after awhile, i know it looks like graphics card issue but its definitely not overheating, ive had problems with overheating cpu's before so i know.
    Not sure that is RS related at all, it certainly looks like a graphics card issue. So what settings are you using etc and does it only happen in RS 2.5?

Patrician

There are only two causes I've ever seen for that:

1. Buggy video driver or card (or overheating...could be a dirty or inoperative fan, which will easily cause an overheat)

2. A bad, broken, corrupt install of RTW.

I have experienced both. It is not an RS2 issue.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Happens only in RS, only on map parts w/o fog of war, seem to be pretty random parts of the map too.
    @dvk i think overheating would persist and inscrease overtime also my laptop seems pretty cold and i would expect overheating with games like assassins creed or skyrim too, just reinstaled rtw/rs2 to make sure install is well, might be the drivers issue tho i have no problems with vanila or other games.
    Last edited by DaddyPro; March 24, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

When I did attack Alexandria with my awesome seleucid army under the command of mighty Antiochos III, I encountered a weird bug. When my Siege tower approached the wall, the soldiers couldn't get inside the tower...well, some could, but many didn't. They kept trying to enter the siege tower, until they all died lol because enemy Tower was shooting at them.
    Please take a look at that. I never had this bug in previous version and nor did I have it in other mods or vanilla version.
    Last edited by Captain Frye; March 24, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Frye View Post
    When I did attack Alexandria with my awesome seleucid army under the command of mighty Antiochos III, I encountered a weird bug. When my Siege tower approached the wall, the soldiers couldn't get inside the tower...well, some could, but many didn't. The kept trying to enter the siege tower, until they all died lol because enemy Tower was shooting at them.
    Please take a look at that. I never had this bug in previous version and nor did I have it in other mods or vanilla version.
    I had that bud also... though it was in 2.0

Hello Ladies and gentle Praetorian peoples. I come here with a odd a annoyance. I am sure someone has already probably posted it but...here I go! When I play the campaign, with Capua mainly but also with other factions I get an odd little occurrence. Here my mighty rebel army stands against the might of the roman legion! A full 20 stacked legion and yet...when I approach them...it made me laugh of how easily the WHOLE army just picked up stuff and ran away without one casualty. At first I was like "Heck yea..that's what." Then it happened again...and again...and again...then I took Rome with ease when they all just fled away from me. Please do enlighten me with an answer to this..for it is a shame to see the roman armies crumble at the sight of a rebel army. Thanks !

-Boneless1

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Frye View Post
    When I did attack Alexandria with my awesome seleucid army under the command of mighty Antiochos III, I encountered a weird bug. When my Siege tower approached the wall, the soldiers couldn't get inside the tower...well, some could, but many didn't. They kept trying to enter the siege tower, until they all died lol because enemy Tower was shooting at them.
    This is a long known RTW bug. As far as I know, it has never been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by boneless1 View Post
    Hello Ladies and gentle Praetorian peoples. I come here with a odd a annoyance. I am sure someone has already probably posted it but...here I go! When I play the campaign, with Capua mainly but also with other factions I get an odd little occurrence. Here my mighty rebel army stands against the might of the roman legion! A full 20 stacked legion and yet...when I approach them...it made me laugh of how easily the WHOLE army just picked up stuff and ran away without one casualty. At first I was like "Heck yea..that's what." Then it happened again...and again...and again...then I took Rome with ease when they all just fled away from me. Please do enlighten me with an answer to this..for it is a shame to see the roman armies crumble at the sight of a rebel army. Thanks !
    -Boneless1
    This is also an RTW 'bug'...if you could call it that. I have seen armies do this, and there is no specific reason I've ever found. The AI just decides that it doesn't want to fight that battle. The only soultion if to force the issue by pursuing the army...both on the strat and in the battlefield. I've sent units after a fleeing army on occasion...usually cavalry...to hit a few running units from behind. these will turn and fight. In the meantime, have your whole army moving up. I'm not saying it works every time, but I have managed to sometimes 'nibble' an AI army into a fight when they were running.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father