3 100.00%
  • No bin the story.

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crowning of The Lion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Crowning of The Lion

Hey this is my first story based in medieval times. Hope you enjoy.

Also the reason for the above poll is just because i want to see what YOU think.

Thanks your opinions,comments and thoughts really help

The Beginning.

Day one.
    London 1100

My sword flashed in the air as the steel swiped off the dummies head. Why i had to practice on such a pathetic thing was unknown to me. But my Mentor Kale Bendante the Swords Master Nodded in turn. His face was hidden from the sun beneath his cowl.
    Again he said.
    And So i practiced and practiced cutting off the arms of hay bale enemies. Practicing the swords man code.
    'for the King my sword is his until it falls from my grasp and i am no more'
    I swung again and again at the dummies that were placed for me to kill. The Heads shattered underneath my blows. I knew it didn't mean anything to destroy a wooden creature but it was practice and i was made to do it for hours a day. My arm ached from the tiredness Kale bendante could see it as well.
    He said Come for your last lesson of the day.
    Kale unsheathed his sword it shone in the light as it seemed to be another being swiping at the dummies as there arms fell heads were loped off. My Mentor had grace and agility but he everyone that knew him knew he had the deadliness of snake his swiftness with a blade was un matched. Kale Bendante then showed me the move.
    A Simple but deadly move. He showed me as the sun was setting.
    Now your turn.
    I took my sword and did my best It cut down two dummies almost instantly with the first strokes. This i realized was for a two o one combat scenario.
    Kale Looked at the sky. The sun was letting its light fade as sunk beneath the night....
    Kale beckoned for me to come. As we retired for His Cabin. A swords master yes but not one of the King Not one of this king. For the old King he refuses speaks of for this King he refuses to serve like he served the mans father.... Also Kale is my mentor yes but my foster father to. For twelve years He has been with me. My parents i never knew He speaks very little of them apart from that they were brave people my father the most bravest man the Kale ever saw. For reasons i low not Kale respected My father immensely. So much stories i wish I knew but so little i know of.

Me and Kale retired for his Cabin. In side the Cabin it was cold almost as old as outside. I shivered. Kale put his hand on my back and nodded.
    I will light a fire and then we will get supper ready he said.....
    A merry hour later the cabin was warm and my stomach was full. I was tired from the training my hands ached the relief of the warmth and a full stomach was much as i retired o My bed and fell warmly to sleep...

That Had all been four years ago.
    Four years when i practiced on hay stuffed Dummies. I knew a lot more now.
    Come Kale said to me for todays lesson you will be learning the different stances for the higher levels.
    I was stunned every time i learnt new stances was when i increased my skills. I was already as agile as a cat and my skills with the blade was quite good. quite Kale was showing me the new stances and techniques when a messenger stumbled in.
    Sir I have a message from the King. He request your immediate audience.
    Kale Nodded at me and beckoned for me to follow.

The Kings Hall was large with stunning gold pieces glinting in the sun. Swords and Shields were hung up all around the hall. he King was in deep conversation with his war advisers. He saw Kale and I and hushed his advisers he beckoned all of us into the war room. He shut the door firmly behind him.
    Kale he said. Before i say anything ill say its good to see you again.
    And you Kale said in a light tone.
    My agents have discovered that a large french army is marching in our borders for Caen. It is a large army and Caen garrison is made up of Long-bowman and Low trained spear militia They wont last long Kale and i need you. I need you to serve me how you served my Brother. I need your loyalty and command skills. I need you t lead a army of eight hundred Knights to battle the French army before or when it gets to Caen. Your King calls for you Kale will you answer?

You expect me to send men to there deaths? Kale said in a voice that could have broken stone. You expect me to be loyal to you like i was your brother? There is a big difference between brothers and you know it. I do not owe you anything. I fought for your brother i saw him Die!!! I have had enough of seeing my friends Die. I am not one to be toyed with King.....

His Majesty was taken a back. Hs face went bright red with rage. I ASK YOU TO PROTECT A CITY UNDER MY RULE. And you dare to refuse me? You dare to usurp my Power within my own Throne room? Tell me Kale Bendante will you lead my knights? Will you lead them so that Caen can still stand as English soil and that as many of the Knights as possible can return home? I know of your Skills on the battle field and of your skills in command you lead The famed body guard and Group. Knights of The Crown yo are un matched in the blade. I need you Kale Bendante i need your leadership.

Kale knew a soon as the King had said this that if he refused He and Santarius would likely be running for there lives.
    Kale hel back his anger and said.
    If that is what is Majesty wishes then that is what will be done.

Good Lad the King said. You are dismissed.

When me and Kale got out into the court yard the fresh air it was a blessing my mind was racing so much question needed answering. I couldn't help it I had to ask....

who were the Knights of The Crown and who was the old King?

Kale Looked at me and nodded. we walked and he told me....

It was many years ago...

King Richard's army was met with a French army at Angers. We knew we would meet them somewhere but we didn't think it would be a small way from angers. King Richard had two thousand Knights with him This was the last castle and then we were home. back on English soil. Thats what he told me. Just as the Messenger an in.
    'Sire a French army has assembled at least four thousand Knights and over six thousand Infantry'
    King Richard looked at me his oldest friend and ally.
    The more the merrier.
    King Richard un sheathed his sword and walked out of the tent.

He Greeted his men.
    Soliders I am Told that a French army has arrived to face us!!! I am told that the numbers bade us not well. I am told that most of you may be drinking at hell today!!!! But he said to his men Remember this that yes they out number but YOU out skill them every one of you is better then them. You fight for your King and You Fight for God. Let your heart know where the enemy is and your blade will be sinking into his flesh.....
    Gold and Riches await you through those walls......So lets give them hell!!!!!!

'Not the most wisest of speeches I thought but one that inspired his men to the fullest'
    Kale he said to me. Take a thousand of my Knights and go through the forest you will come out behind them. The ride is ten minutes... He looked at me and embraced me. Give them hell he cheered.

The ride was a easy one the birds were singing the trees were a beautiful lush green that glinted i the sun.
    I could feel the tenseness of my men. As they trotted behind me. I turned. I was not a man for many words but They needed something.
    Think of your families at home he said think of your children if you have them. Then I grinned and if none think of the woman at the Taverns!!!!! The mens sprits lifted. Think of these set your heart straight and fight. Remember
    'for the King my sword is his until it drops from my grasp and i am no more' remember these words and the words of your king and Fight for your County your families friends fight for your homes. So that you may once again lay eyes on your homes.

I turned again and drew my sword. The French were lined up there army was a frightful thing. But they had won many battles against the French and I doubt that King Richard was going to start losing now.

The French General Gregory was the leader of this battle. I smiled to myself as i heard his pitfall speech.
    'These are the dogs the English they no nothing of compassion or righteous. Kill them all.

a Simple speech. and one that laid the paths for victory for the English. As the English Lines chanted
    'King Richard'
    The French lines were silent.
    The French General ordered CHARGE.
    I rose my sword high in the air. waiting for the lines to break while charging. They did The lines fell out of formation that was the time to strike. My sword went down The Knights Charged. The Thundering of the Hooves was defining. It was like thunder in a cold stormy night. I ordered the knights to finish of the enemy cavalry first. They were dispatched quickly. With the flanks now ours We charged in the back of the running soldiers. I had forgotten about General Gregory and his bodyguard. The French soldiers went sprawling and hurtling in the air. They made the mistake of turning around to face my Knights. I cut down man after man my face was covered in blood as King Richards Knights charged into the back of them. Then i realized something the horrible truth just as the battle was in our favor. These men weren't well trained they were running like cowards s where were the other french sol- The lances hit my men in full charge. I turned around my hors and hurtled out of the Frey with two hundred knights i circled the Lancers and charged round again. Already King Georges body guard swarmed in. The men were being massacred as My forces Charged in.

The Blood curtailing cry as My sword lodged into the Generals Throat. I pulled out swiftly and charged again and again. Devastating much of the french force. The battle raged on for many hours. Swords soaked in blood arms aching from over use. The French line routed. King George lay on the ground dying.

The French routed into Angers. two hundred English Knights remained. Bloodied and battered but alive. King Richard Walked over to me and the Dying King. King George Looked up at us and said you are a noble enemy Richard. Richard looked at him and said a Noble man to die this day he said to King George. King George said to him croaking from his mouth........ My sword...... King Richard yanked it from the ground. and gave it to the dying King.
    King George using every last strength h had said thank you. Then he thrust it as hard as he could. I caught the blade with mine and chopped off his hand, I stood over him and said. A King dies Nobly you are a disgrace... I thrust my sword int his throat.....

Months later. We were back at England in the city of London. King Richard stood upon the stage in the city square. He waved his hands High. WE ARE VICTORS The crowd cheered. The French at Angers are beaten. We have returned from the Crusade. The noise was defining. But out of the Thousands that went with me only two Hundred Knights have remained. My most loyal and bravest Knights. I name them The Knights of the Crown. The Crowd was silenced. They had no idea what this was. The Knights of the Crown will be my most bravest and trusted Knights they are my body Guard. Of course they must accept this for this to happen. I do not order men to a position he smiled. Every Knight. Got up and walked in a line around the Square. Do you accept the King Bellowed? The Knights replied
    'LONG LIVE THE KING'
    The Leader of these Knights will be my most trusted friend I knew him when i was a boy. My second in command is Kale Bendante. The Crowd cheered everyone knew Kale and everyone loved him. His skill was un matched but he was kind to everyone. The people thought he deserved this position to.

For more then twenty years the Knight of The Crown roamed the land fighting for the king and putting his enemies to the sword. The became the most ruthless and feared bodyguard they were said to be unstoppable saying that they were un killable proved correct more then once...... They fought for the king until one they were betrayed. They were betrayed by one of there members his name was
    'Sir Galen of Nottingham' He had cut down the King. The Beloved King Richard. I had been shocked as I walked in the Throne room. The sword came out of King Richard as he fell to the ground. I unsheathed my sword and said for the Crown. as I steeped forward I was followed by twenty Knights of the Crown. Galen knew he would die so he didn't bother fighting. His last words were
    'For the Crown'.......
    Last edited by KingofRome; August 19, 2012 at 05:56 AM.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Default Re: A Bards Tale....

This looks interesting I don't generally like Medieval timeframe but this looks pretty good at first glance.

I merged your two posts btw, see my private message.

Thanks Yea I Got it I am sorry about that by the way

CHAPTER 2

The story shocked me as much as it pleased me. Kale didn't like remembering the past King or even his past and now i knew why. I knew why he didn't tell me stories of great 'famous' battles because they weren't great or glorious they were a death sentence for those that chose to fight. But now was not the time for thoughts on the past it was time for action for the future.

Where to now i asked?
    Kale looked at me and smiled.
    I will be heading South for Caen whilst you stay here in London with the safety of the walls and these brave men. You are not ready for battle Santarius you are but a age of sixteen.
    I was angered by this.
    I have come of age i stammered by my right i can come if i so wish.
    Kale looked at me with stern eyes. Stay battle is not a place for you not yet but there will be a time when it is your turn to take up the sword and fight for your people.
    No i said in turn no I am coming there is no better way to learn then doing the things yourself. Kale you taught this to me you edged it into my brain so don't think you can just make me forget it all now.
    Kale was silent. Santarius if you come and you get wounded or Die i will never forgive myself. I promised your father that i would keep you safe.
    My father at the mention of him i was certain i had to come. I don't know why but i put a steel in my heart to come.
    My father was who he as and if i am to live up to his legacy someday I better start now.
    Kale let out a sharp breath. Fine he said pack your things and get the horses ready we leave at first light and make for the port....

Caen was not what i expected, I was so use to London's high stone walls. Here there was Wooden palisade The eight hundred Knights followed Kale.
    kale looked at them and said a simple command.
    Evacuate the citizens to the coast by the ship if all goes hell they must escape.
    The knights did as was commanded.
    Kale knew that the King would be furious but the King was not here. He was not fighting for his people he was not fighting to protect English soil. Once the Citizens were by the coast ready for departure if need be. He had his Spearman and Knights make ready as He could hear the French army not far off.
    Spearman he said Hold the gate!!! Santarius you are in command of the Spear man and archers. Im sorry he said to me... Cavalry with me.
    He thundered to the western gate.
    I was taken a Back. Archers i said wait for my signal.
    My breath was taken a back as i heard the French army marching towards us. I heard General bellow to his men. War with france and England men.

I have to have Dinner now so sorry I have to stop it in the middle. Im going to camp for three days Guys so ill be back in three days.

CHAPTER 2 PART 2
    The Battle of Caen.

Santarius

The Clanging of the boots as they hit the ground made my ears ring. The sound of the men Chanting as they marched. I was scared witless what was i supposed to do? I didn't expect to be put in this situation.
    As I thought to myself my men waited my command s i gave them one.
    Spearmen hear me.
    Spearmen Hold the Gate.
    Archers Ready arrows.
    The sound of bows being put back and arrows being placed filled the air.
    Archers wait for my signal.
    Sweat dripped from my brow. I ordered one archer to test the range.
    REmember i said to myself these are no ordinary archers these are Long bowmen There range is excellent there skill almost unmatched.
    The archer fired his arrow. The arrow didn't ht anyone but....It was in range.
    This gave me hope. Archers FIRE!!!
    The arrows seemed to blackout the sun as they flew high and arched as they rained on the french lines they cut down men and buried deep into horses a like. The Volley was a good one.
    Just after i ordered my men to fire i heard Kales voice to his men......

Kale Bandante.

I looked to my men I had eight hundred brave Knights. We were vastly outnumbered definitely out skilled Infantry wise. I thought over the tactics i could use.
    Like at the battle of Angers I could wait till they charged and then strike....But there wasn't another Cavalry force to complete it and our infantry would be massacred.
    His face was a set grim line thinking over tactics. He didn't have time for this anymore The battle was commencing as the archers fired there first volley of arrows.
    I looked to my men. They faced me tense waiting for a command that would either save Caen or doom it and them....

I said to them in a voice that had no fear and no love for the enemy.
    The world will know how brave men fought for English soil how few fought against many. Remember this my friends remember that THIs is English soil and you must protect how you would your families How you would protect your wives and Children. Remember this my friends and let it be THEM that you fight for. Steel your heart face the enemy and protect English soil.....

Santarius

I looked to my archers as I ordered a second Volley. Kales speech had been heard by the archers and the spearmen to. There sprits lifted as they heard his speech his inspirational speech. had edged into the mens minds that we can win this. That Caen can still be our land by the time the un falls and the moon is the light of the night. The arrows were less effective this time as the French were expecting it and there shields rose. Still the arrows caught some men and the less men the French have the ore chance of victor we have have. The thought of them being sitting ducks to our volleys was scratched from my mind as the French advanced.......

Archers Fire arrows.
    Maybe it was a bade decision to put it to fire arrows it meant less arrows would get out in a small space of time but it had to be done. I had to make the French lose moral. For Kales plan...Whatever that may be. The Volley seemed to glint in the sun as the fire rained hell on the French.......

French General Henry.

I ordered my mens Shields up again as the arrows rained on us. These stupid English dogs thought they had a chance with there archers and Spearmen they are trash heap that will soon be wiped off the world.
    I looked to my cavalry My bodyguard is the only Knights i have the rest are pitiful peaces of trash. But that is all i need to take out these pathetic spearmen. I have my dismounted Knights. Sadly against cavalry they are terrible.
    I said to my men move the ram forward......

Kale.

I waited as the french army charged. I was taught when i was much younger the ways of command and how patience is the key to everything. The Lines broke as they always did while Charging apart from the ram. But the cavalry would have to be taken care of first. A risky decision but one that had to be made.

I ordered the gate to be opened the easier way would be to destroy the ram in fact it was probably the smart thing to do but he charged into the Cavalry. The French General looked Abysmal his face white with rage.

I looked to my sword as i charged on my horse. My pure bred white stallion a beautiful horse. I put my sword high and let it come crashing down onto the nearest Mounted solider. I noticed that these Horsemen were poorly trained as I swung my sword into the leather armor......

My sword smashed through the Knights chest, ripping into him as his horse charged ahead the blood on the grass was like a stream trickling down the small slope in the grass. How i came to my senses i didn't know just in time to see the dismounted Knights crashing through the gates....

I looked as the men streamed through the gates killing the spearmen left and right my men fell to the ground in agonizing screams that would have made even the gods shudder. I unsheathed my sword ready to use but i knew that if i came face to face with a knight weather i was well trained or not i would be killed. It must hjave been the fates because just as a Knight leaped from the line of killing and butchering to bring death upon Kales sword cut into him his body ripped apart as it slid to the ground the mans face fool of shock and fear in the bloodied helmet. I felt sick i felt sick with rage.

The sword almost dropped from my hand. I saw my men being massacred i could feel Kales eyes bearing down upon me like a hawks. Kale dismounted sword in hand he seemed to spin it gracefully then plunge it into the heart of a Knight. He looked at me. Battle is no place for a boy.....

My sword moved with me as another Knight stood to attack me. I parried his attacks. My sword arm raised and came down with my own attacks I suddenly had a burst of momentum and sun behind him plunging my sword into his back. I looked astonished it had been my blade which had done this...No I couldn't believe it was me who had done this. Suddenly i was smacked back to my sense as i heard SANTARIUS...

The blow hit me to the head as i crashed to the ground the only thing i remembered was Kale swinging his sword upright as it skewered the man. Then my world faded and that was the time The Light became dark.....

I was Shocked horrified and scared as i saw the knight about to do a blow to Santarius's head i screamed his name SANTARIUS. He seemed to come back to his senses as the blade's hilt came smashing to his head. Rage overtook my next move Rage and anxiousness if Santarius had been killed he would never forgive himself and Santarius father would never forgive him either....

He flung his blade from the Knights mouth that he'd just killed the blood spurted everywhere including my face. I reached the Knight and skewered the man flinging my sword into him as it ripped through his chest. I whispered in his dying ear,for The Crown. I next picked up Santarius and ran. The battle didn't matter anymore neither did the King or what would probably happen to him for deserting. The battle was lost Caen would be frances no matter what and he had known this from the start. Why hadn't he stooped this it was going to be a massacre and the best he could have done was get everyone out of there including the soldiers. These men weren't trained apart from the Knights and the odds had been terrible. the Knights damn god he screamed The knights were either killing the General (hopefully) or dead most likely dead. Damnit he should have gone back for them he should have.... I old memory came to him suddenly when he was a young lad 15 at most. When he and Richard had become friends to the end they had laughed together. Richards Father King Henry had said some wise words.
    My son remember this in battle. Not every battle is won with a victory some battles are won by having no loses. a Great general knows when victory is possible and when Victory is impossible there is shame in running when there is no hope. You should never let your soldiers die for nothing my son....

He remembered this as he troded through the mud He felt like a boy now. Alone and worried sitting by the ire wondering if his parents would get home.... The memory bought tears to him something that very rarely happened. They never had come home.... His father had been crusader for King Henry and on the same crusade King Henry went on so did his father Sir Joseph of York He had been part of the Royal family s body guard he and Henry had been such great friends.... His mother died by some barbarian thinking he a slut at a tavern.. Dear gods he said....

The ind blew fiercely with every step the night grew longer and the wind howled like a wold. Finally the bay came into view the ships the English sails flapping and dancing in the wind.

He reached the flagship of the fleet. He ran up the guards said 'sir' he nodded back to them he didn't have time for formalities. He laid Santarius on his bed the Captains bed. He walked out and said to the Alchemist of the crew. see what you can do for him he took a hard blow to the head those french bastards he cursed.
    "Of course," sir the man nodded.
    'Um sir," a Guard said 'where are the men?"
    "Solider there either dead or dying the battle was a massacre the French soldiers were well trained and well armed ours were neither. I should have got all the men and citizens out of here as soon as i could have,"
    ' He then looked to the captain of the guard. How much men can you spare?"
    "About forty my lord."
    "Good rally them up and get them horses im going back...."

He readied his men and mounted his new horse as he had left his old one at the battle. It bought tears to him that horse had been with him since he was young and since he had started in the service of King Richard....

The battle looked over as i walked out of the mottled trees.

'sir' Said one of the soldiers he was a young man obviously not experienced.
    Yes Kale said in a tone that could have broken stone.
    'sir this battle its.... its a blood bath'
    I know....
    'And are we going to go in there?' He asked the man had no fear in showing he was afraid.
    Kale turned to his men.
    The rain hailed on them the wind howled at the night as the shadows of monsters leaped at them. He couldn't blame the man for not wanting to go back.
    Solider do you know the swordsman's code?
    'yes sir...Of course sir!!!'
    good then repeat its words to me the full code solider.
    'for the king my sword is his until it drops from my grasp and i am no more' 'I shall no fear when facing a foe for the King to die by his order is a honor' 'to serve the King is al I know my blade is his forever until my hand lets it go and my ashes are to the wind'
    That was the swordsmen's code but not the one Kale knew.
    Good man now come we must face this and get the survivors out of there....

The battle had been horrendous by the sights the blood that poured on the street how mens breath were rasp as they coughed up blood. But he made one wrong move that the General thought a threat he and his men would be savagely killed.
    He saw a french patrol of nine spear men.
    They caught sight of Kale and his men behind him and rushed forward. He could sense his men tense a battle was almost upon them they thought.
    Kale said in a vice which would have made the heavens rumble and the sky shake.
    'HALT' we wish to speak with your general we wish to get our wounded men out of here.
    The french guard stood to attention and walked back. Minutes later a bloodied man walked this man had a sliced knee and had numerous stabs all over his body.
    Yes English dog... He spat at me. As It hit the ground i was tempted to unsheathe my sword and so this fool who the real dogs were. But years of training held me back. For my wounded mens sake.
    I wish for us to be able to get our wounded out of here.
    The French General's face turned red.

You English DOGS i will kill you and every last man that walks in here that calls himself a man of England we won this town that was rightfully ours and you dare come in and ask if we could hand over your wounded? Kill them kill them all.
    I said to my men in haste as a battle draw closer. Long live the King! I screamed as i charged at the man that would make these men meet there doom. I would kill every single one of these dogs before they would hurt Santarius and before they killed my men. Determination in my heart i swung my sword it blazed like fire as the blood spurted from his head. I looked back smiling blood on my face. was insane i realized. As i swung my sword down onto a spearmen. I dismounted my horse and swung my sword up blocking a Knights attack. My eyes were blazing with anger as my sword came crashing down on the man as i spilt his blood my anger and adrenaline grew and i became more dangerous foe. But I remembered Richards words as he taught me how to wield a sword.
    'A opponent in rage is one that is stronger,brutal and one that will most likely make a mistake...'
    I cleared my head as another sword came at me....

I awoke my head was throbbing and the world was but a blur. The captain of the Guard came in.
    'Ah Master Santarius your awake it is good to'
    'Thank you captain i said still half awake'
    'That was quite a hit you took there you lost a lot of blood'
    'I ignored him as i remembered kale is said' I shot out of bed.
    'Where is he???'
    My lord Kale has gone back with forty men he went back to get our wounded and will surely be back soon.
    I got out of the bed soft and warm i could stay there all day all night i could die in that bed and be at peace. But Kale needed me and i was astonished to think he'd do something so stupid. Im going after him.
    'But my lord you are in no condition to be walk-'
    Stop calling me Lord i will make my own path and i am going after Kale you are not going to stop me.
    'The guard had always had a soft spot for Santarius he was always caring about his friends and his men. The Captain knew he would go back so he a had taken the liberty of making ready a horse and a group of 20 men which unfortunately left the Ships unguarded apart from himself and a couple of hand picked men plus the crew.
    Santarius walked out to see the men waiting his command.
    he turned to the Captain and smiled.
    You knew...
    Of course i knew Santarius your exactly like your father.
    How is it so much people knew him and i never did. Santarius thought to himself.
    The mens horses are ready and so is yours.
    Thank you my friend as im embraced the captain.
    Soliders we make for Caen in five minutes be ready....

The men had fought hard and victory would have been worthy to them though they were outnumbered by thousands. The last remaining ten men Including Kale formed a circle. Battling all that came at them. Kale was bloodied to the bone and if by somewhat miracle he survived this then he felt he'd never feel clean again. Defeat was almost certain.
    memories came flooding back by the thought Richards words at the battle of Jerusalem's as he talked with Kale. The words he said were this. With you at my side and me at yours victory is always possible. Believe in your men and most importantly believe in yourself. I will always be by your side my liege Kale had said to Richard.
    And me at yours my dear Friend now to battle.
    Kale remembered it and took heart but he whispered to Richard up in heaven.
    Your not by my side now.
    A voice came to him.
    Im always by your side my friend.
    The voice startled him but it must have been his imagination but even so he took heart and threw another man into hell. They were out numbered but not out skilled it seemed. The man that had asked if we had to go into Caen was still here taking man after man down.
    This solider was promising indeed.
    The French soldiers seemed to by some miracle be wavering. The men becoming easier to kill.
    Suddenly a voice rang through the air.
    KALE!!!
    kale turned it was Santarius by all odds his friend and foster son was Alive an by another miracle walking.
    But by even more of a surprise there were 20 men behind him all on horse back.
    Santarius yelled to the men CHARGE.
    The sound the hooves made was defining Santarius sword flashed as it came crashing down on a mans head.
    The french lines broke as they retreated back to the square. The still had thousands of men.
    Santarius Kale said to his friend.
    Do not chase them rally your men and get us all out of here. he looked the French were coming back with reinforcements.
    NOW he said as he leaped on the back of Santarius's horse......
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; May 02, 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I really like it Well done

I prefer it to your 'Phoenix Legion'

Looking forward to more
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Thanks Shankbot12 its good to know someone is enjoying this. Yeah me to. Phoenix legion was just a short story I prefer stories like this to

Ok Im Back. I have got a free day today and need something to do so ill get a few more Installments in . Thanks for your support Shankbot12.

I gotta say I have done the battle of Caen in a different writing style. Which i will probably be using for ALL battles unless someone dosent like it. Speak up and ill change my writing style Hope you enjoy reading

Please see here.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    CHAPTER 2 PART 2
    The Battle of Caen.

Santarius

The Clanging of the boots as they hit the ground made my ears ring. The sound of the men Chanting as they marched. I was scared witless what was i supposed to do? I didn't expect to be put in this situation.
    As I thought to myself my men waited my command s i gave them one.
    Spearmen hear me.
    Spearmen Hold the Gate.
    Archers Ready arrows.
    The sound of bows being put back and arrows being placed filled the air.
    Archers wait for my signal.
    Sweat dripped from my brow. I ordered one archer to test the range.
    REmember i said to myself these are no ordinary archers these are Long bowmen There range is excellent there skill almost unmatched.
    The archer fired his arrow. The arrow didn't ht anyone but....It was in range.
    This gave me hope. Archers FIRE!!!
    The arrows seemed to blackout the sun as they flew high and arched as they rained on the french lines they cut down men and buried deep into horses a like. The Volley was a good one.
    Just after i ordered my men to fire i heard Kales voice to his men......

Kale Bandante.

I looked to my men I had eight hundred brave Knights. We were vastly outnumbered definitely out skilled Infantry wise. I thought over the tactics i could use.
    Like at the battle of Angers I could wait till they charged and then strike....But there wasn't another Cavalry force to complete it and our infantry would be massacred.
    His face was a set grim line thinking over tactics. He didn't have time for this anymore The battle was commencing as the archers fired there first volley of arrows.
    I looked to my men. They faced me tense waiting for a command that would either save Caen or doom it and them....

I said to them in a voice that had no fear and no love for the enemy.
    The world will know how brave men fought for English soil how few fought against many. Remember this my friends remember that THIs is English soil and you must protect how you would your families How you would protect your wives and Children. Remember this my friends and let it be THEM that you fight for. Steel your heart face the enemy and protect English soil.....

Santarius

I looked to my archers as I ordered a second Volley. Kales speech had been heard by the archers and the spearmen to. There sprits lifted as they heard his speech his inspirational speech. had edged into the mens minds that we can win this. That Caen can still be our land by the time the un falls and the moon is the light of the night. The arrows were less effective this time as the French were expecting it and there shields rose. Still the arrows caught some men and the less men the French have the ore chance of victor we have have. The thought of them being sitting ducks to our volleys was scratched from my mind as the French advanced.......

Archers Fire arrows.
    Maybe it was a bade decision to put it to fire arrows it meant less arrows would get out in a small space of time but it had to be done. I had to make the French lose moral. For Kales plan...Whatever that may be. The Volley seemed to glint in the sun as the fire rained hell on the French.......

French General Henry.

I ordered my mens Shields up again as the arrows rained on us. These stupid English dogs thought they had a chance with there archers and Spearmen they are trash heap that will soon be wiped off the world.
    I looked to my cavalry My bodyguard is the only Knights i have the rest are pitiful peaces of trash. But that is all i need to take out these pathetic spearmen. I have my dismounted Knights. Sadly against cavalry they are terrible.
    I said to my men move the ram forward......

Kale.

I waited as the french army charged. I was taught when i was much younger the ways of command and how patience is the key to everything. The Lines broke as they always did while Charging apart from the ram. But the cavalry would have to be taken care of first. A risky decision but one that had to be made.

I ordered the gate to be opened the easier way would be to destroy the ram in fact it was probably the smart thing to do but he charged into the Cavalry. The French General looked Abysmal his face white with rage.

I looked to my sword as i charged on my horse. My pure bred white stallion a beautiful horse. I put my sword high and let it come crashing down onto the nearest Mounted solider. I noticed that these Horsemen were poorly trained as I swung my sword into the leather armor......

I didnt want this Chapter to be 'to' long so Thats why im stoping it here.

I know it may be annoying and if you dont like me 'stoping half way through tell me. And i wont stop half way through.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; May 02, 2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: At the authors request

Citizen

Blog Entries

A nice update

It was good to see some different viewpoints, but make sure you don't have to many otherwise I don't think you'll be able to flesh-out the characters as well

I don't mind about the split chapters, it creates suspense - but that's just me

Thanks. Yeah i thought that to i don't want to many. Thanks.

Chapter 2 part 3.

Please see here.
    My sword smashed through the Knights chest, ripping into him as his horse charged ahead the blood on the grass was like a stream trickling down the small slope in the grass. How i came to my senses i didn't know just in time to see the dismounted Knights crashing through the gates....

I looked as the men streamed through the gates killing the spearmen left and right my men fell to the ground in agonizing screams that would have made even the gods shudder. I unsheathed my sword ready to use but i knew that if i came face to face with a knight weather i was well trained or not i would be killed. It must hjave been the fates because just as a Knight leaped from the line of killing and butchering to bring death upon Kales sword cut into him his body ripped apart as it slid to the ground the mans face fool of shock and fear in the bloodied helmet. I felt sick i felt sick with rage.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; May 02, 2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: At the authors request

Sorry about that guys my sisters wanted the PC for some Origami thing.

Chapter 2 part like what 4 now?

Please see here.
    The sword almost dropped from my hand. I saw my men being massacred i could feel Kales eyes bearing down upon me like a hawks. Kale dismounted sword in hand he seemed to spin it gracefully then plunge it into the heart of a Knight. He looked at me. Battle is no place for a boy.....

My sword moved with me as another Knight stood to attack me. I parried his attacks. My sword arm raised and came down with my own attacks I suddenly had a burst of momentum and sun behind him plunging my sword into his back. I looked astonished it had been my blade which had done this...No I couldn't believe it was me who had done this. Suddenly i was smacked back to my sense as i heard SANTARIUS...

The blow hit me to the head as i crashed to the ground the only thing i remembered was Kale swinging his sword upright as it skewered the man. Then my world faded and that was the time The Light became dark.....

I was Shocked horrified and scared as i saw the knight about to do a blow to Santarius's head i screamed his name SANTARIUS. He seemed to come back to his senses as the blade's hilt came smashing to his head. Rage overtook my next move Rage and anxiousness if Santarius had been killed he would never forgive himself and Santarius father would never forgive him either....

He flung his blade from the Knights mouth that he'd just killed the blood spurted everywhere including my face. I reached the Knight and skewered the man flinging my sword into him as it ripped through his chest. I whispered in his dying ear,for The Crown. I next picked up Santarius and ran. The battle didn't matter anymore neither did the King or what would probably happen to him for deserting. The battle was lost Caen would be frances no matter what and he had known this from the start. Why hadn't he stooped this it was going to be a massacre and the best he could have done was get everyone out of there including the soldiers. These men weren't trained apart from the Knights and the odds had been terrible. the Knights damn god he screamed The knights were either killing the General (hopefully) or dead most likely dead. Damnit he should have gone back for them he should have.... I old memory came to him suddenly when he was a young lad 15 at most. When he and Richard had become friends to the end they had laughed together. Richards Father King Henry had said some wise words.
    My son remember this in battle. Not every battle is won with a victory some battles are won by having no loses. a Great general knows when victory is possible and when Victory is impossible there is shame in running when there is no hope. You should never let your soldiers die for nothing my son....

He remembered this as he troded through the mud He felt like a boy now. Alone and worried sitting by the ire wondering if his parents would get home.... The memory bought tears to him something that very rarely happened. They never had come home.... His father had been crusader for King Henry and on the same crusade King Henry went on so did his father Sir Joseph of York He had been part of the Royal family s body guard he and Henry had been such great friends.... His mother died by some barbarian thinking he a slut at a tavern.. Dear gods he said....

The ind blew fiercely with every step the night grew longer and the wind howled like a wold. Finally the bay came into view the ships the English sails flapping and dancing in the wind.

He reached the flagship of the fleet. He ran up the guards said 'sir' he nodded back to them he didn't have time for formalities. He laid Santarius on his bed the Captains bed. He walked out and said to the Alchemist of the crew. see what you can do for him he took a hard blow to the head those french bastards he cursed.
    "Of course," sir the man nodded.
    'Um sir," a Guard said 'where are the men?"
    "Solider there either dead or dying the battle was a massacre the French soldiers were well trained and well armed ours were neither. I should have got all the men and citizens out of here as soon as i could have,"
    ' He then looked to the captain of the guard. How much men can you spare?"
    "About forty my lord."
    "Good rally them up and get them horses im going back...."

He readied his men and mounted his new horse as he had left his old one at the battle. It bought tears to him that horse had been with him since he was young and since he had started in the service of King Richard....
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; May 02, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: At the authors request

Citizen

Blog Entries

A good update, your description of the battle was really good and you got the emotion across really well

Just a few things:

When you get to 25 posts I would advise just double checking for typos - I noticed a few (mainly just things like 'i' instead of 'I' - I know it's nothing major, but these things bug me )

Also try to include speech marks, e.g.

Of course sir the man nodded.
    Um sir a Guard said where are the men?
    Solider there either dead or dying the battle was a massacre the French soldiers were well trained and well and well armed ours were neither. I should have got all the men and citizens out of here as soon as i could have. He then looked to the captain of the guard. How much men can you spare?
    about forty my lord.
    Good rally them up and get them horses im going back....
    I would change to*

"Of course sir," the man nodded.

"Um sir," a Guard said "where are the men?"

"Solider there either dead or dying the battle was a massacre the French soldiers were well trained and well and well armed, ours were neither. I should have got all the men and citizens out of here as soon as I could have."

He then looked to the captain of the guard. "How much men can you spare?"

"About forty my lord."

"Good rally them up and get them horses I'm going back...."

* Sorry if it wasn't meant to be speech - feel free to tell me to shut up if Im being a pain

I know it doesn't change the story, and it won't bother some people, but I personally find it easier to read and it makes the story flow better

About from that it has a solid foundation, and with some minor tweaking it will be brilliant - so hurry up and get to 25 posts

Keep up the good work! +rep

Ok i felt like my 25 post should be a Tale... Also i didn't see that your +rep(sorry about that) Thank you soo much for that mate. hope you enjoy

Also im gonna bring chapter 2 into 1 post lol when i get my edit option.

Chapter 2 part Whatever

Please see here.
    The battle looked over as i walked out of the mottled trees.

'sir' Said one of the soldiers he was a young man obviously not experienced.
    Yes Kale said in a tone that could have broken stone.
    'sir this battle its.... its a blood bath'
    I know....
    'And are we going to go in there?' He asked the man had no fear in showing he was afraid.
    Kale turned to his men.
    The rain hailed on them the wind howled at the night as the shadows of monsters leaped at them. He couldn't blame the man for not wanting to go back.
    Solider do you know the swordsman's code?
    'yes sir...Of course sir!!!'
    good then repeat its words to me the full code solider.
    'for the king my sword is his until it drops from my grasp and i am no more' 'I shall no fear when facing a foe for the King to die by his order is a honor' 'to serve the King is al I know my blade is his forever until my hand lets it go and my ashes are to the wind'
    That was the swordsmen's code but not the one Kale knew.
    Good man now come we must face this and get the survivors out of there....

The battle had been horrendous by the sights the blood that poured on the street how mens breath were rasp as they coughed up blood. But he made one wrong move that the General thought a threat he and his men would be savagely killed.
    He saw a french patrol of nine spear men.
    They caught sight of Kale and his men behind him and rushed forward. He could sense his men tense a battle was almost upon them they thought.
    Kale said in a vice which would have made the heavens rumble and the sky shake.
    'HALT' we wish to speak with your general we wish to get our wounded men out of here.
    The french guard stood to attention and walked back. Minutes later a bloodied man walked this man had a sliced knee and had numerous stabs all over his body.
    Yes English dog... He spat at me. As It hit the ground i was tempted to unsheathe my sword and so this fool who the real dogs were. But years of training held me back. For my wounded mens sake.
    I wish for us to be able to get our wounded out of here.
    The French General's face turned red.

You English DOGS i will kill you and every last man that walks in here that calls himself a man of England we won this town that was rightfully ours and you dare come in and ask if we could hand over your wounded? Kill them kill them all.
    I said to my men in haste as a battle draw closer. Long live the King! I screamed as i charged at the man that would make these men meet there doom. I would kill every single one of these dogs before they would hurt Santarius and before they killed my men. Determination in my heart i swung my sword it blazed like fire as the blood spurted from his head. I looked back smiling blood on my face. was insane i realized. As i swung my sword down onto a spearmen. I dismounted my horse and swung my sword up blocking a Knights attack. My eyes were blazing with anger as my sword came crashing down on the man as i spilt his blood my anger and adrenaline grew and i became more dangerous foe. But I remembered Richards words as he taught me how to wield a sword.
    'A opponent in rage is one that is stronger,brutal and one that will most likely make a mistake...'
    I cleared my head as another sword came at me....

I awoke my head was throbbing and the world was but a blur. The captain of the Guard came in.
    'Ah Master Santarius your awake it is good to'
    'Thank you captain i said still half awake'
    'That was quite a hit you took there you lost a lot of blood'
    'I ignored him as i remembered kale is said' I shot out of bed.
    'Where is he???'
    My lord Kale has gone back with forty men he went back to get our wounded and will surely be back soon.
    I got out of the bed soft and warm i could stay there all day all night i could die in that bed and be at peace. But Kale needed me and i was astonished to think he'd do something so stupid. Im going after him.
    'But my lord you are in no condition to be walk-'
    Stop calling me Lord i will make my own path and i am going after Kale you are not going to stop me.
    'The guard had always had a soft spot for Santarius he was always caring about his friends and his men. The Captain knew he would go back so he a had taken the liberty of making ready a horse and a group of 20 men which unfortunately left the Ships unguarded apart from himself and a couple of hand picked men plus the crew.
    Santarius walked out to see the men waiting his command.
    he turned to the Captain and smiled.
    You knew...
    Of course i knew Santarius your exactly like your father.
    How is it so much people knew him and i never did. Santarius thought to himself.
    The mens horses are ready and so is yours.
    Thank you my friend as im embraced the captain.
    Soliders we make for Caen in five minutes be ready....

The men had fought hard and victory would have been worthy to them though they were outnumbered by thousands. The last remaining ten men Including Kale formed a circle. Battling all that came at them. Kale was bloodied to the bone and if by somewhat miracle he survived this then he felt he'd never feel clean again. Defeat was almost certain.
    memories came flooding back by the thought Richards words at the battle of Jerusalem's as he talked with Kale. The words he said were this. With you at my side and me at yours victory is always possible. Believe in your men and most importantly believe in yourself. I will always be by your side my liege Kale had said to Richard.
    And me at yours my dear Friend now to battle.
    Kale remembered it and took heart but he whispered to Richard up in heaven.
    Your not by my side now.
    A voice came to him.
    Im always by your side my friend.
    The voice startled him but it must have been his imagination but even so he took heart and threw another man into hell. They were out numbered but not out skilled it seemed. The man that had asked if we had to go into Caen was still here taking man after man down.
    This solider was promising indeed.
    The French soldiers seemed to by some miracle be wavering. The men becoming easier to kill.
    Suddenly a voice rang through the air.
    KALE!!!
    kale turned it was Santarius by all odds his friend and foster son was Alive an by another miracle walking.
    But by even more of a surprise there were 20 men behind him all on horse back.
    Santarius yelled to the men CHARGE.
    The sound the hooves made was defining Santarius sword flashed as it came crashing down on a mans head.
    The french lines broke as they retreated back to the square. The still had thousands of men.
    Santarius Kale said to his friend.
    Do not chase them rally your men and get us all out of here. he looked the French were coming back with reinforcements.
    NOW he said as he leaped on the back of Santarius's horse......
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; May 02, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: At the authors request

haha no worries Im not going to tell you to shut up because its exactly what i need yeah i will. every time i read over my work i find typos that the i miss and so dose the computer.

Thanks Shankbot12 for pointing the typos out and for helping me

Have a good day.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Don't worry about it, I'm here to help And I see you are now past 25 posts Time to get editing The rep is too keep you going

I liked your update, and I'm glad Kale and Santarius were reunited

Keep it up!

Haha thanks yep time for some editing

Citizen

Blog Entries

Just noticed the poll, voted

haha Thanks Shankbot12

EDIT. im going to put this story on hold for the duration of the poll just to see the votes and such.

Sorry for the wait Guys. The Story will continue on Good friday (tomorrow for me) As this is the last Day of School!!!!!
    Last edited by KingofRome; April 04, 2012 at 01:33 PM.

Im not gonna be able to get a update up for today sorry guys i thought i would have enough time.
    Don't try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It's the one and only thing you have to offer. ~ Barbara Kingsolver

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~ Anaïs Nin

Well i promised a Update and here it is.

CHAPTER 4

The wind howled as the sea slashed at our Ship rocking it back and fourth like cradle.

I sat on my bed thinking of what to do. All the possibilities of what could happen next. The King woul be furious. Furious enough to cast me and Kale as Outlaws? To be hunted down by the English or the rest of our days? I didn't know and i didn't want to either. But it was the only thought i had. The onl thing i could think of is the battle. How much men had i killed? How much of my own men had died because of his battle that should have never happened?

these are the thoughts that passed through my head as The Captain walked in Santarius. General Kale wants to speak with you.

Of course i said. I was tired and in no mood to talk the ships rocking had made it hard to sleep. these past few nights had been almost sleepless but i had to see Kale anyway.

He walked in his black cloak drenched from the sea splash.

Santarius he said. He embraced me.
    The cold made me shiver as i wrapped my blankets around me tighter.
    Santarius when we get back to London the King he will.....not be impressed. We lost the city that gave us a post in France we have lost it and i fear the consquences will be dier...
    Will we be exiled? I asked the fear in my voive could not be masked. I began to shiver uncontrolable.
    Kale gripped my shoulders.
    Santarius the King is not a cruel man. He will not exile us.
    Kales words were empty of promise and he knew it. I could see it in his eyes.
    Soon our lives may end. That was the look in his eyes. The friend and mentor i had trusted and been with since my birth he was like a father to me.
    Kale i said. Do you think i dont know the King? True maybe not as well as you pehaps but I know what he is like. he Generals that fail him either get excuted or exiled. The King is not Richard...
    Kale looked at me. Sadness deep in eyes his face was scared he looked....broken...old.
    And pehaps the King will change he said? Pehaps that he will let us go on with our lives?
    Suddenly Santarius had the feeling of Home. The fields, the breeze, the girls...... The smell of the flowers all of it.....

Sir the Captain said we arre nearing London port.
    Ah yes Kale said as he swung around and strode out the door.

I know a short update but at least its been updated!!!
    Last edited by KingofRome; April 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
    Don't try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It's the one and only thing you have to offer. ~ Barbara Kingsolver

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~ Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast