Thread: Sea Battles, Crash and reboot.

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Default Sea Battles, Crash and reboot.

I am getting a hard crash when encountering sea battles which makes the PC freeze and only remedy is to reboot.

I don't know if this is a cause; but it seems to happen most often when there are many ships between both sides of the battle. Also I don't know if this is anything to do with the crash;but it seems to be also that while I can board and capture ships in smaller engagements, in the larger battles if there is a boarding attempt by myself or the computer AI it will also precipitate the crash at the end of the boarding where one ship either surrenders or the attackers are repelled. It also seems to happen near the end game of bigger battles.

Is this a problem with the graphics card not being able to handle the particles on the screen (I heard this could be the case?) or some other underlined issue. I have an ATI graphics (Radeon 4850 card with 1gig of memory and is HD capable).

If there is is a solution that anybody has found I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!

Default Re: Sea Battles, Crash and reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by WarnerVH View Post
    I am getting a hard crash when encountering sea battles which makes the PC freeze and only remedy is to reboot.

I don't know if this is a cause; but it seems to happen most often when there are many ships between both sides of the battle. Also I don't know if this is anything to do with the crash;but it seems to be also that while I can board and capture ships in smaller engagements, in the larger battles if there is a boarding attempt by myself or the computer AI it will also precipitate the crash at the end of the boarding where one ship either surrenders or the attackers are repelled. It also seems to happen near the end game of bigger battles.

Is this a problem with the graphics card not being able to handle the particles on the screen (I heard this could be the case?) or some other underlined issue. I have an ATI graphics (Radeon 4850 card with 1gig of memory and is HD capable).

If there is is a solution that anybody has found I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!
    It's hard to determine why it crashes, I have never had any crashes related to the mod contents but I have had many occasions of PC-freeze with TW games (M2TW to NTW), all related to my Graphics Cards (Both ATI and Nvidia). Sorry I can't be more specific

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Thanks Lutland! I have not played much vanilla and this didn't occur in other games to my knowledge. But then again, I'm playing as Britain this time around and I normally play as Russia so there is limited naval conflicts in that faction with me.

Figured it would be graphics relates. I since this post seemed to have found a workable solution. While I can play land battles at higher settings I have turned down the particle count settings and a few others as to get simpler graphics and this has had an obvious speed up in the FPS and the effect of having less (actually none) since I turned down the graphics settings on a few issues. So I seemed to have solved the problem.

I only wish that there would be a future version of the game mod that would be released where the unit size could select either small, med, or large over the ultra unit sizes and not encounter the artillery bug.

Any howitzers! Great mod and thanks for the replay. For the record I find your mod a pleasure to play. Great attention to detail without sacrificing overall game play!

Cheers!

Yes, I would like the option to use smaller unit sizes as well. My computer struggles to handle the ultra sizes. Maybe incorporate it into the launcher??

Quote Originally Posted by WarnerVH View Post
    Thanks Lutland! I have not played much vanilla and this didn't occur in other games to my knowledge. But then again, I'm playing as Britain this time around and I normally play as Russia so there is limited naval conflicts in that faction with me.

Figured it would be graphics relates. I since this post seemed to have found a workable solution. While I can play land battles at higher settings I have turned down the particle count settings and a few others as to get simpler graphics and this has had an obvious speed up in the FPS and the effect of having less (actually none) since I turned down the graphics settings on a few issues. So I seemed to have solved the problem.

I only wish that there would be a future version of the game mod that would be released where the unit size could select either small, med, or large over the ultra unit sizes and not encounter the artillery bug.

Any howitzers! Great mod and thanks for the replay. For the record I find your mod a pleasure to play. Great attention to detail without sacrificing overall game play!

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajarnlance View Post
    Yes, I would like the option to use smaller unit sizes as well. My computer struggles to handle the ultra sizes. Maybe incorporate it into the launcher??
    There will be a separate installer that installs artillery that is playable with small/medium and large unit sizes. Hope it answers your question?