Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR Anthology

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default AAR Anthology

After long months of disccusion in the Lounge SeniorBatavianHorse has finally released Volume 1 of the AAR Anthology.

This anthology is the first of its kind and aims to widen the scope of the AARs audience into the wider public. Containing work from many well-known AARtists on TWC ranging from robinzx's Takeda AAR to la coupe's Eastern Jewel in a Western World this anthology has collaborated some of TWC greatest of works into one book.

We now need you! The anthology is available to download free from Smashwords here. Please download it, read it, and then review it on the Smashwords site. It is available in a wide range of e-book formats, so no matter what device you own you'll be able to read. And if you don't you can also read it online and as a PDF - so there is no excuses!

This is just the start, and hopefully it'll move on to bigger and better things. If you would like your AAR to feature in Volume 2 please view the following posts and add.

Please advertise this anyway you can, and if you are gifted with the possession of artistic skills I'm sure we'd love you to make a few signatures etc.

ybbon66 has encouraged me to discuss the following with you all -

I have been exploring the world of epublishing recently and now have several of my plays uploaded to a site called Smashwords. This was a necessary step to both see how epublishing worked and also see what kind of marketing is needed.

Now that the plays have been approved formatting-wise for distribution to Smashword's premium sites (Barnes and Noble, Apple, Diesel and so on), I moved to the next stage (no pun intended!) which was to see if there was an opportunity to publish some of my AARs in a serial novella format. 'The Nowhere Legion - Book One' is now uploaded and available while awaiting approval for submission to the premium sites. My plan is to launch five Books of The Nowhere Legion and make it a serialised novella.

This led to another idea:

namely: An Anthology AAR in serialised format epublished at Smashworlds.

What I am envisaging here is a selection of multiple AARs (say five or six) of sufficient quality to be included in a serial anthology. So that a reader would download Book One and read the first chapters of - say - five or six AARs. Book Two would carry on the AARs in sequence - and so on with Books Three and Four, etc.

These AARs would need to be either already finished and sufficently advanced so that there is enough material to cover several Books. Also these would need to be an AAR strong enough to stand alone without supporting pics - I doubt we could include these for legal reasons.

Requirements: each author who would wish to submit an AAR would need to email me the AAR's first section in Word Doc only, an introduction, and also ensure that it is all proof-read and formatted.

Work: I will arrange the submitted pieces in whatever order I see fit so that they compliment eachother and then upload for Smashwords to convert. I will set up a special TWC Author's page. Any formatting problems, I will edit at source myself. It is not too complicated. I will also create the main cover pic and write a short editor's introduction.

Issues: do we charge a price? Or make it free? or make it donation only? If it is priced, how do we share out the profits? How do we as a community select the AARs? Can we even launch such a venture? If we do charge, should the profits go to the TWC site as a donation for hosting the AARs in the first place?

Anyway, these are some thoughts that have been running around in my head! It may be that the idea is inappropriate and that there are neither enough good AARs to fit the Anthology or even indeed authors willing to submit those that are.

Behind all this I suppose is the general idea of celebrating the whole TWC AAR community and also to introduce a wider readership to the AAR genre - a valid and exciting writing/reading community in itself!

EDIT:

CONFIRMED AARTISTS IN VOLUME ONE 'A TIGER'S LEAP':

will be updated as and when other AARtists confirm!

Writer AAR Status (End of April Deadline)

SeniorBatavianHorse - (editor and publisher)

Juvenal - Spite of Severus - on editor's desk (oed)

McScottish - Serving Your Oppressor - on editor's desk (oed)

Thokran - Heaven's Descent - on editor's desk (oed)

robinzx - Takeda - on editor's desk (oed)

Schrodinger - Restoring Rome - on editor's desk (oed)

la coupe est pleine - An Eastern Jewel in a Western World - on editor's desk (oed)

Other AARtists to join if desired throughout April.

Please PM me if you wish to be included in this Anthology and you feel you fit the submission requirements!

Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; May 24, 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Default Re: AAR Anthology

A most intriguing idea. There are true masterpieces in this community that deserve to be celebrated in this manner, and the finished product would be worthy of much excitement in my opinion. I am mildly sceptical about charging - given we are amateur writers after all - but perhaps a nominal price would work. Regarding submission I think it wouldn't hurt to reach out to certain writers? That way you have better control over the content and the works fit a certain style or conform to some kind of theme of your choosing?

My own piece probably doesn't fit the "nearly finished" criteria but I am quite excited by this idea. Good luck!
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Thanks, robinzx,

The usual charging price for an ebook on Smashwords is low. A dollar or two - something like that. My own opinion at the moment is for it to be free but I am open for it to be changed. As for the nearly finished criteria - I meant that or a piece sufficiently progressed that there is enough material to justify inclusion in a serialised anthology. Yours certainly fits that criteria!

I think I will see what responses emerge here (if any!) before moving forward on the idea. It will be large undertaking and will need some commitment first, I think.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Sounds like a good idea, both for the AARs themselves and the Writers

Regarding submission I think it wouldn't hurt to reach out to certain writers
    I think that is a good idea, because you will know what will be best suited for Smashwords and can make the decision regarding pictures.

EDIT: Basically what robinzx has just said

On the price issue I personally think 'donation-only' and that the 'donations' are then given back to the TWC, and unless the nominated Writes have a problem with that I think it would be the best bet on how to deal with the profit.

Besides that I think it's good suggestion
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 16, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Thanks, Shankbot12 -

The problem is that I simply don't know many of the non-Roman AARs or the writers. My reading experience is strictly limited to those AARs in the Total Wars Era forum. I think the anthology idea should really include AARs from the other forums to show all the inventiveness and scope on show here.

As for price, a donation idea would be a good way to go with the proceeds given back to TWC on prinicpal.

I think I will 'sit' here for a bit and see who else drops by and would express an interest - is there a better way to advertise this, I wonder?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Thanks, Shankbot12 -

The problem is that I simply don't know many of the non-Roman AARs or the writers. My reading experience is strictly limited to those AARs in the Total Wars Era forum. I think the anthology idea should really include AARs from the other forums to show all the inventiveness and scope on show here.
    Maybe choose people who you know well to pick AARs from the other forums?

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Love the idea, would be very interested, that is all. Sorry I can't be of more help because, like yourself, I too am stuck to the Era AAR forum really.

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

I can think of a few good AARs that would compliment this idea well, except that the user hasn't been active for some time.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

That may be the issue, longevity of the AAR. I'm all for the idea clearly, I guess the thing to do is try and reach out to the author via PM or their email if they provide one and see if they are interested.

Yes, I think what I will do is initially PM those I know have work that would fit the anthology and ask them if they also could recommend anyone - I would then PM them also. I would be looking at say 5-8 AARs spread over a broad period (RTW, MTWII, Empire and Shogun) with an emphasis upon AARs that are narrative-driven with a minimum of pic reliance. Also a range of genre from epic to personal to humourous would be good - to showcase our work here.

Another question which arises is the issue of 'sanction' - by that I mean for this to be an TWC 'official' Anthology designed to promote and showcase work here, would it need some sort of TWC offcial approval (however that is defined)? Or is this a vanity project (in the best sense of the word) soley the preserve of those writers who submit for the anthology?

Another issue is that I am not too concerned if an AAR is finished - only that enough material is present to be included over a number of editions. Given the nature of AARs, some disappear and others carry on even as others reach a natural conclusion. This should be reflected in the Anthology so that were an AAR to end because the writer no longer updates then we simply bring in a new one to replace it (as in a Comic Book serial which has faded away).
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; March 26, 2012 at 05:08 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yes, I think what I will do is initially PM those I know have work that would fit the anthology and ask them if they also could recommend anyone - I would then PM them also. I would be looking at say 5-8 AARs spread over a broad period (RTW, MTWII, Empire and Shogun) with an emphasis upon AARs that are narrative-driven with a minimum of pic reliance. Also a range of genre from epic to personal to humourous would be good - to showcase our work here.
    I agree with you completely, I think it's the best possible solution

Another question which arises is the issue of 'sanction' - by that I mean for this to be an TWC 'official' Anthology designed to promote and showcase work here, would it need some sort of TWC offcial approval (however that is defined)? Or is this a vanity project (in the best sense of the word) soley the preserve of those writers who submit for the anthology?
    I'm not sure on the rules regarding this kind of stuff so I'm sorry if what I say is completely wrong, but I think it would be better (personally) if it was a 'vanity project' simply because the work submitted will not be advertising the entire TWC/AAR forums - just the work submitted.

Another issue is that I am not too concerned is an AAR is finished - only that enough material is present to be included over a number of editions. Given the nature of AARs, some disappear and others carry on even as others reach a natural conclusion. This should be reflected in the Anthology so that were an AAR to end because the writer no longer updates then we simply bring in a new one to replace it (as in a Comic Book serial which has faded away).
    I think the only way you can get it to work is by having the 'length' of the AAR at the selectors discretion

Hope I've helped

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

PM, Antiochos VII Sidetes. He wrote the Eastern Eagle, The Game of Fates, and a few others. His AARs needed no pictures whatsoever.

I have never written an AAR, and I don't think I would write one in the near future (reasons perhaps not needed in public.)

But I do write some stories and tales, and they are without pictures. Though, even if it would be ok with regular stories in something like this, I'd need to start over and do something new, that I would do seriously.

I have, however, been thinking about a way to write an AAR, without actually playing the game. As said I have not written anyone yet, so maybe not fitting for this project.

It is a very interesting thing, this idea of yours SBT. I would love if I could participate in a work like this.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Thanks, I will arrange PMs in the next few days and see how the response goes. I have a short list in mind and will also invite those to recommend any others too.

HeirofAlexander: thanks for the interest! I am really looking at the AAR 'genre' here to showcase the great work. I would be writing a sort of introductory essay opening up the AAR to a wider reading public. I suppose the goal here is to look at that divide between 'serious' writing and writing generated here under the aegis, as it were, of playing these games - that indeed, the TW games provide a story-generating mechanism which allows writers to respond creatively and within limits. If you think you have work that would compliment that aesthetic, by all means PM me!

I think we will keep this a 'vanity' project at the moment but if it takes off then perhaps there will be an 'official' place for a regular epublication as part of the wider TWC community.

I will reserve this thread also to post and build up the list of AARs to be included as we progress here. If I can generate say about 6-8 willing AARtists to contribute, I would imagine that I could edit and epublish within a week once the list has been decided. The formatting is done online at Smashwords automatically. All I need to do is edit the submissions and write an essay and also design a basic cover. If you visit my own author's page here you can see what I am talking about.

The other key question is how we publicise this venture? Social networking seems to be the key - so we would need readers here to review and rate the anthology at Smashwords which will in turn raise the profile of the anthology. A good start would be each fellow author 'reviewing' the ebook perhaps? Or is that cheating?!

I just got done reading this thanks to robinzx, and it sounds like a wonderful idea.

I'd be happy to contribute to this venture in any way I can. Looking back over the past couple of years, I think there's a very wide selection of completed AARs spanning through each of the games that can work very well for this type of anthology. I have to look back to make sure, but I think my last few AARs can stand on their own without images, and though they're all from M2TW, they're quite different from one another.

If these stories are being composed into an anthology of sorts, what happens when one ends earlier than another?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thanks, I will arrange PMs in the next few days and see how the response goes. I have a short list in mind and will also invite those to recommend any others too.

HeirofAlexander: thanks for the interest! I am really looking at the AAR 'genre' here to showcase the great work. I would be writing a sort of introductory essay opening up the AAR to a wider reading public. I suppose the goal here is to look at that divide between 'serious' writing and writing generated here under the aegis, as it were, of playing these games - that indeed, the TW games provide a story-generating mechanism which allows writers to respond creatively and within limits. If you think you have work that would compliment that aesthetic, by all means PM me!

I think we will keep this a 'vanity' project at the moment but if it takes off then perhaps there will be an 'official' place for a regular epublication as part of the wider TWC community.

I will reserve this thread also to post and build up the list of AARs to be included as we progress here. If I can generate say about 6-8 willing AARtists to contribute, I would imagine that I could edit and epublish within a week once the list has been decided. The formatting is done online at Smashwords automatically. All I need to do is edit the submissions and write an essay and also design a basic cover. If you visit my own author's page here you can see what I am talking about.

The other key question is how we publicise this venture? Social networking seems to be the key - so we would need readers here to review and rate the anthology at Smashwords which will in turn raise the profile of the anthology. A good start would be each fellow author 'reviewing' the ebook perhaps? Or is that cheating?!
    Advertising wise, I would suggest just advertising it on this site, maybe in a TWC publication? Review wise, I would just let people rate/review on Smashwords at will, having the authors review it seems to go against the point of a 'review' Although in this case we could make an exception

The only thing to say now is Good Luck I really hope it works, and I'm looking forward to see the AARs you select

I'll be here to help

Thanks! Thokran, I will PM you over the next couple of days - I just need to sit down and finalise it all!

OK I am in the first stage of collecting possible AARs. Again I can only stress that I can only PM people whose work I am familiar with. I am sorely lacking MTWII, ETW, NTW and STW2 AARs. If anyone from those forums would like to put forward an AAR to the Anthology, please PM me and I will consider the AAR! I will use this thread to update and confirm the submission list as and when I get more details and also develop an editorial piece to forward the work.

Just to re-cap, if you are interested, I would need an AAR of sufficient length that it can run over several published volumes which is not dependant on ingame shots for its narrative arc. You would need to submit it in Word Doc format with both an author's intro and a 'cliffhanger' leader to set up the reader for the next edition! I can go into more details later if anyone has further questions.

As a last note, I think I will make the first Volume free for download and then we can perhaps up it to voluntary donations on the second and subsequent editions!

Citizen

Blog Entries

OK I am in the first stage of collecting possible AARs. Again I can only stress that I can only PM people whose work I am familiar with. I am sorely lacking MTWII, ETW, NTW and STW2 AARs. If anyone from those forums would like to put forward an AAR to the Anthology, please PM me and I will consider the AAR! I will use this thread to update and confirm the submission list as and when I get more details and also develop an editorial piece to forward the work.

Just to re-cap, if you are interested, I would need an AAR of sufficient length that it can run over several published volumes which is not dependant on ingame shots for its narrative arc. You would need to submit it in Word Doc format with both an author's intro and a 'cliffhanger' leader to set up the reader for the next edition! I can go into more details later if anyone has further questions.

As a last note, I think I will make the first Volume free for download and then we can perhaps up it to voluntary donations on the second and subsequent editions!
    Sounds like a plan I agree with with your 'last note'. Good luck

OK - Update: I want to mark up a time-line here so that everyone who has responded to my invite or is thinking of doing or will be once I have PM'd them will have an idea of what is involved.

I want to move fast on this as getting the first Volume out is the key and always the hardest part (it's where we learn all the mistakes!). So I am going to suggest the following time-scale:

April - here we all edit and proof-read our submissions individually as well as writing the 'intro' sections and the 'coming next' end-gate. This is the important part. You will all need to edit the first submission yourself so that when you send it to me it is as professional as it can be. I will not have time to proof-read or edit the pieces myself. My job is to assemble them in an order so that they compliment eachother and write an overall introduction.

May - upload and publication of the first Volume. This month will see the first volume released into the wider ereading community. Smashwords can take up to 4 weeks to proof-read the uploaded draft before then sending it on to the 'premier' online sites such as Barnes and Noble, and so on. Until then it remains at Smashwords only as a downloadable book. I think we wait through this month until it is approved and only then market it through social media facebook and twitter and so on. If Smashword find formatting errors, they will notify me and I will re-edit the novel and then re-submit it.

Once the first Volume is forwarded to the premier sites, we market like mad and see how it 'sells'. I would suggest giving at least a month of premier selling and then we rinse and repeat the whole process for Volume 2.

To answer Thokran's earlier question about the ending of a specific AAR - I am viewing the anthology format in a way that is similar to a comic book: once one AAR ends, another new one starts up to pick up where the last one finished off. It could be an AAR by the same writer or the introduction of a new AAR by a new writer.

Also, as editor and 'epublisher', I want to remain in the position of making all final decisions about how the first Volume appears (internal structure, cover image, opening intro, that sort of thing) as I want to move fast on this. Once the first Volume is out, then I suggest we all review it ourselves and then collectively take ownership from then on. That way I will take responsibility for the initial launch but afterwards we all become involved in making decisions about the future format, and so on. Is that OK? I know sometimes that having a single decision-maker can be alienating but am keen to get this up and running as quickly as possible.

Once the AAR Anthology is 'out there' then I think we can all own more of a stake in it!
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; March 26, 2012 at 03:12 AM.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast