Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New FotS preview video

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: New FotS preview video

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    In the book I read on the real Boshin War (1868-9) there were only 4 gatling guns in the whole of Japan. I'm not sure of the time span of this game but I hope Darth will make it a bit more historical for single players mode.
    I think the focus is going to be much more on rewriting history.

After all, the Boshin War only had around 3,000 casualties.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I'll do what I always do and limit myself to one or two "super weapons" per army.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I won't I'm buying the game mainly for all the Industrial stuff like Ironclads and Gatling guns.

I'm rather looking forward to it but I hope it won't be spoiled by being too unhistorical.
    @ Hresvelgr I spent a while trying to find all the Gatling guns. I think the 4th one may have been used in the Satsuma rebellion but I can't find the quote now. I'll ask on the Paradox forum, there's a Boshin War mod for Victoria 2 there somewhere.
    I hope when I go down fighting with the Ezo Republic that I'll have a few wooden cannon to fire off before I'm defeated.
    Last edited by Jihada; March 15, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

I really dont like those unrealistic fireball explosions from artillery on land but the naval battle look great, but someone has to make a mod to tighten formations and fix those explosions.

I gotta be honest it looks pretty good. Only the ship explosions are way too exxagareted, almost looks like they fly up some feet in the air.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth VeX View Post
    I don't think they've ever actually said or shown you can control a ship's cannons directly. I believe that may only be a land cannon / Gatling gun feature. It's quite possible this is true of cannon emplacements and towers as well since they haven't shown or talked about controlling those either.

I'd love to be able to control all the ranged weapons in 3rd person like this, but I doubt that's possible. I think only the ground artillery units will have the 3rd person control feature.

Yeah, you can. You can control ship guns and the onshore artillery.

I don't know about the towers though.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

we are already have 3 games all the same whit this one, since empire total war I come seeing the same animations, combat style, and finally we have 3 types of shogun 2... boring! Now I must wait another year

easytarget's Avatar Libertus

yeah, it's great isn't it

Looking good, but if CA is foreshadowing any late 19th to early 20th century games then they really need to expand army and battlefield sizes. Significantly! I would advocate for a real time campaign instead of turn base as well.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyspolir View Post
    I gotta be honest it looks pretty good. Only the ship explosions are way too exxagareted, almost looks like they fly up some feet in the air.
    To be fair you could get really dramatic explosions like that if the powder magazine was hit, and the explosive cannon shells of this era made igniting the magazines much easier than ever before, at least when targeting wooden ships. For example, look at a picture of what happened to the USS Maine from a single explosion, and that was an iron battleship. Not sure if the result of a magazine detonation would be quite like it is in the videos, but I think Fall of the Samurai is (from what I can tell) the most accurate TW game yet, which admittedly isn't saying a lot. It just suffers from Reality is Unrealistic syndrome, see the outrages over the "brodie" helmets, bear wigs, and assorted details for that.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

winmoeaung's Avatar Laetus

But if they allow to shot cannon and gattling gun from third person mode in Multiplayer, everyone will go for instant general kill.

I doubt sniping generals will be as easy as that, and if it starts happening that much, CA will probably nerf the 3rd person mode, or make generals resistant to it.

I think someone who played it said something like it's not a pin-point accuracy kind of deal. Not to mention the fact that while you're busy trying to blow up the enemy general (who might react by moving around or taking cover from artillery) they could very well be flanking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiso-FIN View Post
    Great video. Battles truly look like more devastating and bloody with that new weaponry available. Naval bombardments seem to be perphaps too accurate, but hopefully mods can fix that. Also battle and unit speeds seems to be on same fast level as in vanilla Shogun 2, but it is also another thing modders can fix. Naval battles look aweseome though, especially those port battles and diversity between ship types is larger than before.

+rep for posting the video!
    During the naval bombardment part of the video I noticed you are given two options for bombardments, "Focused" and "Area". In the video Focused was selected, hence the higher accuracy on a small area. I'm assuming Area will be able to hit more targets, but obviously not be as precise.

This looks really fun. Very excited.

Wow, good eye there. I was a bit focused on all the pretty explosions and people flying every which way.

It looks ok, but I have become used to the old style of warfare play. This fast pace stuff just looks to be a bit to much. And the bombardments look like they are from space. I will probably not buy this. I want a revised RTW II with more stuff added or MTW III. The naval battles do look pretty cool though. And I agree with AUG351 about the fireball explosions :-(

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Eh, that stuff can be fixed with mods. I like the explosions myself, but that's because I care more about fun and gameplay than realism.

Also, just to go on record, a Real-time campaign would be terrible for Total War.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Why is that? Pausable real time campaigns paradox style ftw!

Another step towards the Second World War!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Like it

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast