Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New FotS preview video

Darth VeX's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: New FotS preview video

Quote Originally Posted by avesta View Post
    by the way, what are some tactics you can use when you control a ship's guns in 3rd person?
    Are you supposed to aim at the hull or something?
    I don't think they've ever actually said or shown you can control a ship's cannons directly. I believe that may only be a land cannon / Gatling gun feature. It's quite possible this is true of cannon emplacements and towers as well since they haven't shown or talked about controlling those either.

I'd love to be able to control all the ranged weapons in 3rd person like this, but I doubt that's possible. I think only the ground artillery units will have the 3rd person control feature.

Quote Originally Posted by avesta View Post
    by the way, what are some tactics you can use when you control a ship's guns in 3rd person?
    Are you supposed to aim at the hull or something?
    Well I think at the waterline isn't a bad idea.
    But try to shoot their guns first! Then they cannot fire back!
    Oh and against steamships, you must try to hit the engine if you want a big boom!

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    They did a good job of excluding sieges, like they`ve done since ETW. I wonder why that was.

Oh, yea, because they`re not realistic at all. Men still climb the walls. Ca know it`s crap and might put people off.

Propaganda, don`t ya just love it.

However, I`m glad that the gatling gun will almost lose you the battle if you sit on it because that IS realistic. It`s a plus point in my view. YOU are the tactical comander, you cannot just sit on a gatling and ignore the rest of the tactics of battle. It seems to me the best time to use it will be near the end of a battle when you`ve carried out all your tactics and know you`ve morer or less won.
    Well...actually there was a siege in that video...with a castle and everything. And yes, men still climb the walls because that is what they did, at least back in the good ol days, and seeing as how there were only 2 starforts, and the rest were still built ontop of hills that you can't blow up, then naturally there would be climmbing involved.

Very nice, I laughed when every time a torpedo hit a boat the men on the decks will go flying hundreds of feet in the air at hundreds of miles an hour. The physics there I think needs a little tweaking...lol
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

My takeaway -- a lot of stuff gets blown up. People fly up in the air when they're getting blown up. You can do it yourself this time with an overpowered gun and blow people up. In the air.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    They did a good job of excluding sieges, like they`ve done since ETW. I wonder why that was.

Oh, yea, because they`re not realistic at all. Men still climb the walls. Ca know it`s crap and might put people off.

Propaganda, don`t ya just love it.

However, I`m glad that the gatling gun will almost lose you the battle if you sit on it because that IS realistic. It`s a plus point in my view. YOU are the tactical comander, you cannot just sit on a gatling and ignore the rest of the tactics of battle. It seems to me the best time to use it will be near the end of a battle when you`ve carried out all your tactics and know you`ve morer or less won.
    I assume then you do not intend to leave it at this and commence to tell us how a japanese siege was in fact conducted.Not flaming. Just curious as all the detractors never illustrate what it is supposed to look like, instead just leave it at this is wrong

I'm too tired to write a propper reply for now, but in brief, the sieges themselves were much like anywhere else in the world.

As for assaults, most of the walls of japanese castles can theoretically be scaled, but it would be a long and arduous climb in heavy armor and while being pelted with all sorts of projectiles, and by the time you got to the top I imagine you'd be pretty exhausted.

The climbing in Shogun 2's sieges are way over the top.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

The Naval element of the game looks massively improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    My takeaway -- a lot of stuff gets blown up. People fly up in the air when they're getting blown up. You can do it yourself this time with an overpowered gun and blow people up. In the air.
    lol welcome to total war. Flying in the air upon being hit with any artillery projectile since 2004

Never understood the hate for climbing in sieges. The only thing it needed was higher casualties from falling by armoured units. Don't like it? Don't use it then.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Sieges are designed around you using them I expect so thats not much of a option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Sieges are designed around you using them I expect so thats not much of a option.
    I meant use the torch option...
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

I was utterly convinced that the release date was the 15th...today.

I was so ready to go home and launch some ironclads!

*sigh* another week.
    Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm happy to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    So it's like Rome Total War Barbarian Invasions except they replaced Hounds of Culann with explosions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NcjgDFvR9o

Was going to leave buy for a few months to see if prices go down. (Yes, terrible, i know.)
    Video now changed my mind. Need to preorder now.
    For King, Country, and lots of lovely money.

Zack-Stefy's Avatar Decanus

http://youtu.be/mClKAiqteS8
    In this video you can see that you can go in 3rd person on the ship

Quote Originally Posted by Zack-Stefy View Post
    http://youtu.be/mClKAiqteS8
    In this video you can see that you can go in 3rd person on the ship
    One thing I've noticed is that the Historical Battle Port siege you just posted and the Port Siege featured in the original poster's video play on exactly the same map. It seems to me like it's going to work like siege battles, which has a bunch of pre-made maps. I really hope Port Sieges have more than one different map though.

It's great that they're going back to large expansions like this. This satisfies my cost:gameplay ratio quite nicely. The only problem I DO have is with the pre-order DLC thing, but this truly looks outstanding.

In the book I read on the real Boshin War (1868-9) there were only 4 gatling guns in the whole of Japan. I'm not sure of the time span of this game but I hope Darth will make it a bit more historical for single players mode.

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    In the book I read on the real Boshin War (1868-9) there were only 4 gatling guns in the whole of Japan. I'm not sure of the time span of this game but I hope Darth will make it a bit more historical for single players mode.
    I thought there were three, with Nagaoka having 2 and Satsuma the other one. Who had the 4th gatling?
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast