Thread: The Xiongnu Origins

Default The Xiongnu Origins

I read an article from a recent study of remains that were discovered to be most certainly Xiongnu.

http://www.nature.com/jhg/journal/v5...jhg20108a.html

The DNA testing of these remains has identified them to be strongly tied to modern northern Asians, indicating a Siberian lineage. Other reading on the subject has had one scholar actually suggest that the Xiongnu language may be related to Yenesian - a Uralic Siberian language. Also, an article here has identified a male in a Xiongnu grave site to be Indo-European, specifically Saka-Scythian. There are indeed evidence that a Saka horse-archer culture invaded the Ordos culture.

This is leading me to lean in favor of the theory that the Xiongnu were multi-ethnic and that a large amount of the remains tested seems to suggest Siberian origin. Others among the Xiongnu we now know were Iranic Scythian, and the Turks who first appeared from the Altay Mountains on the Western extremity of the Xiongnu realm. That these nomadic peoples migrated southwards and went so far as to be part of the same peoples who plagued the Han Chinese with raids for centuries.

On the other hand, modern Mongolians seem more or less tied to the Donghu, who were tied to the region of Manchuria and were later themselves destroyed the Xiongnu. (Even the title 'Khan' originates from the Donghu of Manchuria) It gives me doubt that the original Xiongnu were Mongolian in the sense that we think of it today. Of course, I am an amateur on this subject and I may be entirely wrong. It is likely also that this so-called Ordos culture merely mixed with Xiongnu people and eventually became the dominate people who are the Mongolians today.

It seems, to me anyway, that the Xiongnu are most especially a mix of Siberian, Turkic, and Saka.

The history surrounding the Xiongnu (and by extension, the highly disputed pre-history of Huns) seems a lot more complex than originally thought. I have doubt that the Xiongnu really were tied to the early history of the Huns, but rather that in actuality many groups who were subjugated by the Xiongnu later became the Huns.
    Last edited by Admiral Piett; March 15, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Default Re: The Xiongnu Origins

Yes i think they were probably Proto-Turks with some Iranians still mixed in.

I think people underestimate just how far the Indo-Europeans reached eastward.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

All steppe cultures were heterogenetic. People who drifted on the steppe kept drifting while there and formed different steppe confederations as time passed along. As human populations in steppes were not static, noe were their ethnicity.

"Xiongnu" was kind of a catch-all for nomads used by Chinese historians for centuries, like "Scythian" was used by Greco-Roman historians to describe many groups that may have had nothing to do with the Scythians.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunegari View Post
    "Xiongnu" was kind of a catch-all for nomads used by Chinese historians for centuries, like "Scythian" was used by Greco-Roman historians to describe many groups that may have had nothing to do with the Scythians.
    That's why I used the term Saka, which distinguishes that from the western branch.

Saka is another term for Scythians.

I agree that all steppe cultures were heterogeneous.That said, I believe Xiongnu is a mix of people from Altay mountain regions including proto-Turkics from south Siberia. I think Mongolians who are late comers to that region has no relationship with Xiongnu.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Quote Originally Posted by white-wolf View Post
    Saka is another term for Scythians.

I agree that all steppe cultures were heterogeneous.That said, I believe Xiongnu is a mix of people from Altay mountain regions including proto-Turkics from south Siberia. I think Mongolians who are late comers to that region has no relationship with Xiongnu.
    Yeah, most of what I've read on it suggests strongly that the Mongolians that we are familiar with are actually the Donghu, aka the Ordos culture, of Manchuria. The Xiongnu are a Siberian branch (probably related to the people who still inhabit the north central Siberia), along with the proto-Turkic peoples, as well as Saka.

I wonder what the relationship between seemingly totally isolated peoples like the Koreans and the Japanese was to the Mongols or Turks, maybe at one time they branched off from the proto-Mongols.

I wonder what the relationship between seemingly totally isolated peoples like the Koreans and the Japanese was to the Mongols or Turks, maybe at one time they branched off from the proto-Mongols.
    Xiongnu is an interesting tidbit in history. Their empire stretched across Central Asia. They were a powerful force in Asia, forcing the "Chinese" to pay a tribute.

I do not recall reading the Korean was an language isolate. I was under the impression is was part of the Altaic language family. Japanese is either considered an isolate or also part of the Altaic language. Interesting note, the Chinese teach in their schools that Mongolian, Korean, and Japanese are all Chinese. I had a rather interesting conversation with my Chinese students. LOL

Anyway,...

It is my understanding the Xiongnu was somewhat homogenous until they were defeated by the Chinese, specifically Han Wudi. Over time, they would gradually integrate with other nomadic peoples in Central Asia. Some scholars (historians) theorized that Xiongnu form part of the group of nomads that established the Kushan Empire based in Bactria.

I would be surprise if the Xiongnu language is Uralix or Indo- European. Indo- Europeans did spread more than any other linguistic group, but I doubt that the Xiongnu are one of them. Probably the only other group that has spread as much are the Bantu people of Africa. I guess you can also include the Altaic group if you include Native American languages in that family.

--

I had an old military history book that postulated that the Xiongnu defeat by the Han led to their westward migration, eventually appearing as the "Huns" in European history.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

I had an old military history book that postulated that the Xiongnu defeat by the Han led to their westward migration, eventually appearing as the "Huns" in European history.
    The fact was that Western Han only pushed Xiongnu tribes in today's Inner Mongolia to Outer Mongolia (or today's Mongolia). The Xiongnu tribes in Outer Mongolia continued fighting Eastern Han dynasty and eventually overran northern China during Jin Dynasty in Wu Hu uprising (Five Barbarian Tribes Invasion, first the Xiongnu chief Liu Yuan overran the northern China and set up his own Chinese dynasty, before his dynasty got overran by other barbarians).
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

So far though, most testing of Xiongnu remains yields different origins. Some Siberian, some Turkic, some Saka.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Filmmaker View Post
    So far though, most testing of Xiongnu remains yields different origins. Some Siberian, some Turkic, some Saka.
    I guess this would be entirely possible.
    I believe Siberian and Turkic are both in the same linguistic family; Altaic. Saka were in central Asia and Indo- European. I believe the Xiongnu Empire would had included the Scythian area of Central Asia. The area had been so politically volatile, I would not be surprise if the DNA evidence will show a a mixture of people, like a Gumbo.