View Poll Results: What faction do you most want added in the 1100 early era campaign?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Georgia

37 22.02%
  • Sultanate of Rum

14 8.33%
  • Serbia

23 13.69%
  • Shirvanshahs

3 1.79%
  • Abassids

29 17.26%
  • Volga Bulgars

5 2.98%
  • Suzdal

4 2.38%
  • Pisa

3 1.79%
  • Croatia

2 1.19%
  • Zirids

1 0.60%
  • Danishmends

2 1.19%
  • Sweden

19 11.31%
  • Mosul

0 0%
  • Ireland

21 12.50%
  • Orkneys

5 2.98%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Realistic Early Era Poll

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Realistic Early Era Poll

True, though David I 's reign was quite significant and did give the English some trouble at that point.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jambat View Post
    That should be a saying around here.

'You just got mongoled, son!'
    Haha, there should also be a smiley icon for that!

Waffen9999's Avatar Tiro

If Scotland were dropped, I'd argue switching it from 3 provinces to 1 and Ireland from 2 to 1. That would give 3 regions that could be added to a place where another faction would likely be. Middle East or in North Africa comes to mind.
    "When I lead my army against Baghdad in anger, whether you hide in heaven or in earth, I will bring you down from the spinning spheres; I will toss you in the air like a lion. I will leave no one alive in your realm; I will burn your city, your land, your self. If you wish to spare yourself and your venerable family, give heed to my advice with the ear of intelligence. If you do not, you will see what God has willed." -Hülegü, the "Destroyer of Baghdad"

Jambat's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    Scotland is only in the mod because of the film 'Braveheart' and the Battle of Stirling and of course Bannockburn, where Scotland earned its freedom.
    I'm rather sure Scotland did a little more than that ;P
    I see the better and approve; I follow the worse.

If you liked my post or thought I was helpful, hit that +rep and leave your name so I can keep an eye out for when you deserve some. Unless you suck. Then you aren't getting crap. Ever.

Georgia

Not to take away from the whole UK argument over which small feudal society was more important before becoming dependent or incorporated into England but..

The Sultanate of Rum played a part in the Byzantium troubles that set the framework for the first Crusade as well being intertwined with the events following the Mongol invasion (as well as becoming their vassals in the late campaigns era). Georgia is a good choice but The Sultanate was an important part of history.

Of course what needs to be weighed is how much a faction will be played either as the players faction or in proximity to it. Also important is the pre-mongol balance. If Kiev or Rus is just doing crazy good compared to historical accomplishments then it might be best to add in additional factions in that area to divide who snatches up rebel settlements.

As the poll shows, many people want Georgia. It would be the best choice because it is desired by the userbase, it would affect the Rus factions and although it is most certainly going to be annihilated by the Mongols (Great challenge for players) it would also bring Christianity to that corner of the map for a time and bring an interesting new dynamic to the eastern map.

Quote Originally Posted by CTD_or_Bust View Post
    Georgia

Not to take away from the whole UK argument over which small feudal society was more important before becoming dependent or incorporated into England but..
    So instead we should argue which faction is more important before being "mongoled"
    In case your wondering all of ireland isnt conquered until 1603.
    Scotland isnt conquered, but you could say joins the union of the crowns or the acts of union are when it joins the UK.

Both of them live for longer than basicly every eastern faction on the map.
    Wales is conquered slightly earlier, but it says something when there are more castles per square mile in your country than any where else in the world.
    Last edited by David93; March 17, 2012 at 04:50 AM.

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Quote Originally Posted by David93 View Post
    Wales is conquered slightly earlier, but it says something when there are more castles per square mile in your country than any where else in the world.
    yea, it says you have too much stone in your stock and need to find a decent hobby (just lolzing bro)

I think they shouldn't just make England completely dominant, that would only leave france as a 'challenge', the middle-eastern regions are already quite interesting.
    let's face it: all SS games have had a bit of a theme around byzantium and the crusades. this is not a bad thing, but if we continue like this england will just be there, nobody will be interested in playing and far western nations anymore.
    why not focus a bit more on making the good ol' main factions more fun, instead of keep adding more variety
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

Enarec's Avatar Senator

I love Wales, Ireland, Scotland and pretty much any fcation who fights against the darned Englishmen, but in the grand scheme of things they are insignificant and don't deserve to be added.

The Abbasid Caliphate should be added, no doubt about it for me. The Middle East is severely underrepresented and the Abbasid Caliphate was very important there.

Not Georgia because we already have enough Christian factions and this would make the Middle East have 2 Christian and 3 Islamic factions, which would be very strange.

Jambat's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by David93 View Post
    So instead we should argue which faction is more important before being "mongoled"

I wasn't going to say anything and I'm glad I didn't. That was well done, heh.

I actually do agree with the overriding sentiment though that the east should be the main focus first. The Abba's would be great to add and I really enjoy what Rolling Wave did with them in HURB. Georgia I would actually like to see in the Early campaign but I worry that since it will be small and surrounded by hostile enemies it might be crushed quickly. Seeing the Seljuq's beefed up at the start of Early Era a bit would also be very nice.
    I see the better and approve; I follow the worse.

If you liked my post or thought I was helpful, hit that +rep and leave your name so I can keep an eye out for when you deserve some. Unless you suck. Then you aren't getting crap. Ever.

On some of the anti Scottishisms: I certainly believe that Scotland is significant enough to play a role in SS, especially seeing as there needs to be some competition for the British Isles for gameplay balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderlicious View Post
    On some of the anti Scottishisms: I certainly believe that Scotland is significant enough to play a role in SS, especially seeing as there needs to be some competition for the British Isles for gameplay balance.
    exactly, what's the point of playing england if there's nothing but rebs on the isles?
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder44 View Post
    exactly, what's the point of playing england if there's nothing but rebs on the isles?
    Taking France and Norway. Scots are only 3-4 battles to finish usually.

we could easily script so that those regions would rebell like hell ....

or of course two seperate campaign, one removing Scotland for a eastern faction and vice versa, depending on what you want to play. but yeah, if amongst the current 29 faction your going to cut, Scotland is pretty high on the top

Timurids and TO is obviously the first to go since they're not playable, Mongols isn't either but their region of impact was simply too immense to leave out. after that Scotland and Norway would be on the short list. since neither really impacted a huge region during this period. though it would be really hard to balance Denmark without Norway, where as for Scotland you can just remove Inverness and give Edinburgh a much stronger garrison etc.
    Last edited by RollingWave; March 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

SS is so focused on the east in general that removing any Western factions would make it even less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RollingWave View Post
    we could easily script so that those regions would rebell like hell ....

or of course two seperate campaign, one removing Scotland for a eastern faction and vice versa, depending on what you want to play. but yeah, if amongst the current 29 faction your going to cut, Scotland is pretty high on the top
    howmany diffrent campaigns are they planning to include

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder44 View Post
    howmany diffrent campaigns are they planning to include
    The beauty of SS is in it's moddability. it's true advances over other M2TW mod is the simple fact that it is so friendly to make submods for.

My general favorability of Scotland / Armenia / Norway over Rum is the argument of uniqueness, in terms of impact it is quite true without much doubt that Rum woul make more sense than those 3. though another possible way to go at it is the faction re-emergent script. to have a REALLY powerful reemergent turks faction in Anatolia if the Seljuqs are toast.

Melias's Avatar Foederatus

I voted Abbassids since although I feel Georgia is also a good choice the amount of hostile factions around that area would most likely be easy pickings for either Seljuks or the Cumans. Third i'd choose Serbia for a Balkan buffer so that ERE doesn't instantly get all the Balkans. Abassid's from RW HURB sub mod fit in perfectly and stopped the Fatimid's from becoming overly powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Melias View Post
    I voted Abbassids since although I feel Georgia is also a good choice the amount of hostile factions around that area would most likely be easy pickings for either Seljuks or the Cumans. Third i'd choose Serbia for a Balkan buffer so that ERE doesn't instantly get all the Balkans. Abassid's from RW HURB sub mod fit in perfectly and stopped the Fatimid's from becoming overly powerful.
    Well part of that is also because I removed Tayma and Al-Aqba from the map, thus making early Fatimid expansion much more difficult.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I vote for Georgia as I think that the Middle East needs more factions. The fact they're not muslim is even better.
    My second choice would go for the Abassids but I'm still wondering where to place them in accordance with the Seljuks in starting location. Between them and the Khwarezmians (around Bagdad)?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I vote for Georgia as I think that the Middle East needs more factions. The fact they're not muslim is even better.
    My second choice would go for the Abassids but I'm still wondering where to place them in accordance with the Seljuks in starting location. Between them and the Khwarezmians (around Bagdad)?
    lolz, so the muslims would be a minority in the middle-east?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast