Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Various Unit Cards Mod - Large update 17/4 2017

Artifex

Default Re: Various Unit Cards Minimod - Dwarves of Erebor Added

I have added cards for the Lorien faction in Forgotten Realms of Middle Earth and other submods using those units. They are available from mediafire since I am unable to attach files to my posts (I don't know why and if someone has a clue what may be the case I'm all ears). http://www.mediafire.com/download/6j...v23t/lorien.7z

From left to right: Sentinels of Cerin Amroth, Lorien Infantry, Lorien Spearmen, Galadhrim Marchwardens, Galadhrim Bodyguards, Lorien Archers, Rangers of Lothlorien, Lorien Lancers and Scouts, Buggy Ents that Crash my battles but got a card anyway because I'm such a forgiving ruler.
    Last edited by Maltacus; January 18, 2014 at 06:29 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Artifex

Default Re: Various Unit Cards Minimod - Lorien Added

Attachments now seems to work with another web browser!

Here we go with the ugliest faction in my opinion so far, not because of lacking modelling skills but more because they are so stupidly uniform with their green cloaks everywhere. But the roster has some variation and the central position is fun so I might even play them some day...

Frome left to right: Militia, axemen, spearmen, dismounted eored lancers, swordsmen, dismounted royal guard, riddermark axemen, archers, royal archers, helmingas, scouts, bodyguards (likely not visible in the campaign), riders of rohan, eored lancers, royal guard, riddermark skirmishers, horse archers and eored horse archers (I think that's what they're called) and finally royal horse archers.

Rohan is Milan, which suits the green colour, so unpack and paste the cards into the milan folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Nergor's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Various Unit Cards Minimod - Rohan Added

Hi Maltacus,
    great to see that your work will be continued - beautiful and much work again

Nice work. +rep

One thing though, dismounted royal guard and royal archers battle card, they look weird with that black behind their helmets.. Is that the helmet tail or wrong Alpha Channel?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Artifex

Thanks. Yes, it's the helmet tail. Maybe I should remove it altogether?

I think your cards look great as they are. I personally wouldn't change a thing. Great work as always Maltacus! +rep

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Well done. +rep
    Looking forward for complete remade unit cards

Artifex

Here is an edited version of the royal infantry without the black tail for those who prefer it that way. I think it probably looks better. Each to their own. Unpack and paste the milan folder into the data/ui/units folder...you know the drill by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Thanks. Yes, it's the helmet tail. Maybe I should remove it altogether?
    IMO, it would look better. I have downloaded your files and checked them, and, I think I know what happened:

When you had selected the part of the unit for the battle card, you probably overlooked the tail in Alpha Channels as seen in the picture here:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Best thing to do when selecting the part for the final card is to switch to Alpha Channels, and, make your selection there. At least I do that when making them with Photoshop.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Artifex

HAHAHAHAHA!

Alpha channel? I've heard the term but I don't even know what that is! I don't have Photoshop but that doesn't matter much since GIMP has some function to edit or view those as well...I think.

OK, the comical thing here is how low-tech my approach is in comparison to what you describe. I select part of a screenshot with GIMP Free Select Tool, copy it and scale down to fit somewhat in the space allocated for a unit card, sharpen it and increase contrasts and that's it. In the Rohan case I had selected the helmet tails along with the rest of the soldier since they are part of it and they're black because the weather was cloudy on that custom battle field and that's that.

Now I'm curious; Elvenkind, what's your approach to making unit cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA!

Alpha channel? I've heard the term but I don't even know what that is! I don't have Photoshop but that doesn't matter much since GIMP has some function to edit or view those as well...I think.

OK, the comical thing here is how low-tech my approach is in comparison to what you describe. I select part of a screenshot with GIMP Free Select Tool, copy it and scale down to fit somewhat in the space allocated for a unit card, sharpen it and increase contrasts and that's it. In the Rohan case I had selected the helmet tails along with the rest of the soldier since they are part of it and they're black because the weather was cloudy on that custom battle field and that's that.

Now I'm curious; Elvenkind, what's your approach to making unit cards?
    Alpha Channels are like a mask, areas painted black on a mask are protected, and areas painted white are editable as you can see in my previous picture. Areas painted black are transparent and when you copy paste the image with Alpha Channels onto another picture, only the white area will be shown in that picture.

I first started with Gimp too, but wasn`t satisfied with the results, so, I bought Photoshop to use it with Milkshape method.

I find the model of the unit and texture, convert them so I can use them/ import in Milkshape.

Then make a pose of the unit, take a screenshot of it with Milkshape`s own utility, open Photoshop and import the screenshot.

Edit out the blue Milkshape background, add Alpha Channels, sharpen the image using various Photoshop features, increase/decrease contrast if needed, scale the damn thing and save it as Alpha Channel.

More info here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-and-Photoshop
    http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...f=9,6866,0,all

Plus, making Mounted Unit cards: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...26#post5251826

Also, sometimes I use screenshots with CinEditor for some units if they are a trouble to make, then just edit them in Photoshop, sharpen them ( or add layer masks) contrast them, scale and add Alpha Channels.

You can get Photoshop CS2 for free, it has been released by Adobe due to cutting down some servers.

Artifex

Ah, those are familiar. I think I've seen another link to one of the tutorials earlier in this thread. If you photograph directly from a modelling program, how do you make light effects (shadows and light coming from one side and such)?

Photoshop has one feature which allows you to add sunlight effect, and another which is called Burn/ Dodge, it darkens or lights up the parts in the picture.

I do find the easiest way is to make a screenshot using CinEditor, and edit the card using your own preferences, contrast, sharpening, reducing noise levels..

Photoshop has so many features to play with, but, Gimp is a great program too, it lacks just some things which are not that important for making unit cards.

Some very nice cards here.
    Just one thought for future works though, some of the images encroach on the space set aside for unit numbers. This can make it difficult to easily tell the number of men in the unit.
    In future you might want to make a layer mask on your template, and pose the unit image to avoid blocking that area.

Nergor's Avatar Tiro

The problem is, if you let the space for the number it can often happen, that you will cut parts from the unit image

Could the 1st post be updated to include the dwarfs on page 4 and Rohan from this page.. Just for convenience sake

Artifex

Fixed, I think. Everything should be in the first post now. The dwarven catapult card may be different from the preview, if you absolutely want the one with a fireball you can find it in the attachment to the dwarf post on page 4.

Late response, I hadn't seen your request until now. Nice to know people are still noticing the submod.

And goodbye encouraging high download count...
    Last edited by Maltacus; November 22, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Ministry's Avatar Tiro

Great work Maltacus, I recently ported most of these to DaC for folks that play that mod since it uses a lot of 2009 vanilla cards.

Artifex

Here are cards for MOS that I have started to do some work for, but many fit in with other mods too as well as vanilla Third Age. I will keep this post updated with new mashed unit cards*.

As always, backup the units folder or the specific factions folder before use.

*Mos in Swedish means mash, as in mashed potatoes (Swe: potatismos).

Updated 3/5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raidview.jpeg  
    Last edited by Maltacus; May 03, 2015 at 01:21 PM.

Default Re: Various Unit Cards Minimod - Mashed Potatoes added

sweet!
    good job.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast