Thread: Scientific book(s) on World War II military hardware (esp. tanks)

Default Scientific book(s) on World War II military hardware (esp. tanks)

Hello history-gang,

I want to ask you for some help. I'm writing a master thesis about history and the implication of video games. I have found tons of books on various aspects but oddly enough I cannot find a scientific book on WW II military hardware. I need to quote a few technical aspects of tanks and in one case a military plane. My university has a few books on the matter, but most are simple picture books. I also searched other universities in my country and still could not find anything which has an adequate scientific standard. I need to order them per interlibrary loan, which can be expensive for me, so I rather not order books blindly.

So could anyone propose good scientific books on that matter?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Scientific book(s) on World War II military hardware (esp. tanks)

Go to wiki.
    Check sources.
    Follow from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    How about we define the rights that allow a government to say that isn't within my freedom.

Are websites good enough for this sort of thing? As the information is very easy to find, for example:

http://www.tarrif.net/cgi/production...hicles_adv.php
    http://www.historyofwaronline.com/WW2-4.html (technical summaries link for each nation)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    Go to wiki.
    Check sources.
    Follow from there.
    That was actually my first step and that only led me to the picture books (like the Osprey books). Furthermore the section of World War II tanks only offers one (!) book.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
    Are websites good enough for this sort of thing? As the information is very easy to find, for example:

http://www.tarrif.net/cgi/production...hicles_adv.php
    http://www.historyofwaronline.com/WW2-4.html (technical summaries link for each nation)
    If I can't find anything else I will use websites. But websites are hardly scientific in nature, that's why I refrain from using them.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

You definitely have to get Grunden's Secret Weapons and World War II: Japan in the Shadow of Big Science. I think it will be exactly what you're looking for as Grunden takes a very scientific look at World War II. I'm also sure that his bibliography and endnotes will be a great source for you.
    Last edited by StealthFox; March 14, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

As far as german tanks go, the book series of Walter J. Spielberger go into all the nitty-gritty details, from operational aspects down to the transmission gear of the tracks. The Author even served on a Jagdpanther in 1944 and 1945, so he knows his stuff.
    Neutral to the teeth.
    “'My country, right or wrong' is a thing no patriot would ever think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying 'My mother, drunk or sober.'”
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks for the books. I'm ordering them right now.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee View Post
    That was actually my first step and that only led me to the picture books (like the Osprey books). Furthermore the section of World War II tanks only offers one (!) book.

If I can't find anything else I will use websites. But websites are hardly scientific in nature, that's why I refrain from using them.
    It's in a book therefore it must be true...

You get what you get whether its online or in a book.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Big difference between information placed online that can be put there by anyone and information that has gone through a peer review process, publication review, and written by someone with expertise on the topic. Of course not all books meet this criteria, so you have to make sure you properly vet the book as you would any source.

The OP also said it's for his masters thesis. His thesis committee isn't going to approve a thesis with a bibliography full of websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee
    Thanks for the books. I'm ordering them right now.
    Let me know how you like the Grunden book.
    Last edited by StealthFox; March 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM.