Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: RTR VII Patch 3 Bugs and Issues Thread

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: RTR VII Patch 2 Bugs and Issues Thread

There still can be forest near settlements. Sometimes a lot (check out Noreia). However, it's now more random now, whereas previously it was always there.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

There seems to be a messed up battlefield east of Tarentum that causes a CTD. I've gotten it several times with different battles. I did a 100% fresh install and a different battle and got the same CTD so I think it is a real bug. (RTR VII: Patch 2a).

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Default Re: RTR VII Patch 2a Bugs and Issues Thread

Could you please give us the coordinates of the battlefield? Then we'll be able to check if it's really the tile causing the CTD and solve it.

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Patrician Artifex

I can confirm the issue. I've uploaded a fix on svn. I hope it's the last one, but no guarantees..........
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

There is no path for siege equipment to reach Lorkis~Epizefiroi.

The entire area around the road within the Marked Starting Area is considered forest, and as you can see from the mini-map there is no path through the forest from where you can place your siege equipment.

My mission from the senate to take the settle is expiring soon so I'm a bit stuck until this is resolved.

This actually happened in version 1.1a, but my family tree has disappeared entirely!

All the generals are still on the strategic map, but when I try to check my family tree only the faction leader and his wife is displayed, very weird. In retrospect I was meant to have several youngsters come of age in the last few turns, but they seem to have disappeared into thin air

Is this fixed in 1.2a? I have attached a saved game in case it is of help.

Thanks a lot for the awesome mod

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

The forested-city bug is solved in the hotfix 1.2-1.2a, which can be downloaded here.

As for the fact that not all of the FM's are visually included in the family tree, I thought that it is partly a CTD fix, partly to reflect that some parts of the map belonged to a faction but were ruled by another family of the countries high nobles.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer1lb View Post
    It just freezes after bringing up the screen with the different RTRVII games list and preferences.

zimm out

Apparently there is nothing to be done about the launcher. I'll uninstall the mod and check back at a later time. Nice changes and all guys, GL.

zimm out

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

I'm sorry for having overlooked your issue, mate. As far as I know, the launcher won't work when you've got the steam version of the game. All I know about using Steam and RTR is what's written in our download thread:

If using the Steam version of the game follow the directions below-

Run the RTR VII installer like normal, changing the install path to xxxx/steam/steamapps/common/rome total war gold
    Ignore the launcher and short-cut prompts, they won't work
    Open Steam, right-click on Rome: Total War Gold in the My Games menu
    Select Properties
    Under the General tab select Set launch options ...
    Type in -mod:RTRVII -show_err -nm without quotations and click OK
    Launch Rome: Total War Gold by double-clicking it in the My Games menu
    Select Barbarian Invasion from the two-choice list and Launch.
    To me it seems like the only way to launch a mod using Steam is this method. Does anyone know whether the launcher could work using the Steam version?

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

The Hotfix has been updated in order to include a fix for a bug reported by Sphere. We hope that this will be the last issue with our new environment, but will continue providing fixes when there happen to be more.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurits View Post
    I'm sorry for having overlooked your issue, mate. As far as I know, the launcher won't work when you've got the steam version of the game. All I know about using Steam and RTR is what's written in our download thread:

To me it seems like the only way to launch a mod using Steam is this method. Does anyone know whether the launcher could work using the Steam version?

Thanks for the reply. The mod won't launch from Steam either. Too bad, Steam seems to be the biggest problem with mods. I've tried several mods with RTW and Steam doesn't seem to like them. The Lordz NTWIII mod works great, I can even play with my squadmate from Canada or MP with others.
    I play Warband and ETW mods also.

Hope something works out for these wonderful RTW mods. Best of Luck.

zimm out

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    What's disturbing is that it's the settlements that are causing the forest to appear. A custom battle location at the site of Herakleia doesn't have the forest there.
    We had this issue in RS2 as well. The solution is to make sure that all settlements are surrounded by at least a couple pixels in map_ground_types.tga of a 'non-tree' ground type...like the black (wilderness) or the light green Fertile Medium - Light Green (96, 160, 64). I used the latter a lot in the north. This color - Hills - Olive-Brown (128, 128, 64) - will result in no trees whatsoever.

Sorry...a bit late I guess.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician Artifex

Hey dvk,

Thing is, the whole definition of groundtypes has been overhauled in VII. I mean those matrices of battlefield groundtypes. Roughly, grass and forest have swapped positions. So, if CA's "special treatment" was to ensure grass around settlements where otherwise there would be forest, it would do the reverse for VII: making forest appear where you'd expect grass. Suffice to say I hadn't accounted for this special treatment.

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Why did you swap them, is there any kind of logic behind it?

@Zimmer: did you follow the instructions for Steam users in the RTR VII download instructions thread? Those seem to work for many people.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Maurits View Post
    Why did you swap them, is there any kind of logic behind it?
    Yes. For any campaign map groundtype, you get a range of battle map groundtypes. That range is partly random, partly slope dependent. It's the last bit I'm talking about.

Briefly, Vanilla's idea of landscapes is that going from flat to steep terrain you get a succession like forest -> shrub -> grass -> rock.

That makes sense for a completely natural landscape, with forest everywhere except on high mountain slopes. However, when people move in, they tend to preferentially cut the forest on flat ground an leave it on slopes too steep to be suitable for cultivation. Then you get the a sequence more like grass/earth->shrub->forest->rock.

From a technical point of view: In hilly and mountenous terrain, our map is designed to restrict movement to valley bottoms and passes as much as possible. So there too it makes a lot of sense to push the forest up the slopes and leave the more level terrain open space.
    Last edited by Muizer; March 20, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

Looking through the Roman leadership traits, Praetor has an extra unrest -2 which doesn't seem intentional.

CTD

Playing Rome, the Aiakid have a duplicate general, Thoenon, in Leontinoi - save game attached. When these generals are killed via battle map or auto resolve the game CTDs. The dupes always stay together and are both considered the prime general for a given army.

I had a similar run in with this Thoenon and his twin. Legit bug.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Hey dvk,

Thing is, the whole definition of groundtypes has been overhauled in VII. I mean those matrices of battlefield groundtypes. Roughly, grass and forest have swapped positions. So, if CA's "special treatment" was to ensure grass around settlements where otherwise there would be forest, it would do the reverse for VII: making forest appear where you'd expect grass. Suffice to say I hadn't accounted for this special treatment.
    Yes. For any campaign map groundtype, you get a range of battle map groundtypes. That range is partly random, partly slope dependent. It's the last bit I'm talking about.

Briefly, Vanilla's idea of landscapes is that going from flat to steep terrain you get a succession like forest -> shrub -> grass -> rock.

That makes sense for a completely natural landscape, with forest everywhere except on high mountain slopes. However, when people move in, they tend to preferentially cut the forest on flat ground an leave it on slopes too steep to be suitable for cultivation. Then you get the a sequence more like grass/earth->shrub->forest->rock.

From a technical point of view: In hilly and mountenous terrain, our map is designed to restrict movement to valley bottoms and passes as much as possible. So there too it makes a lot of sense to push the forest up the slopes and leave the more level terrain open space.
    Very clever. I like that. But at least you just forgot. I never even KNEW until people started hammering me with the fact that half our settlements were surrounded with trees.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Patrician Artifex

Haha, no. To be honest, it was a surprise for me as well. I usually use the battle editor to get an impression of how the settings affect the landscape, because you can visit a lot of tiles in a relatively short time that way. That settlement tiles would get special treatment was new to me.