Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

Also, would someone please do me a favour and find out which lowland regiments were present at the 1715 / 1719 rebellion, and from which area they were recruited? Cheers!

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

March 18 1689 Earl of Leven raises a Border regiment to hold Edinburgh against the Jacobites. It later becomes the King's Own Scottish Borderers.

I'm looking at the others but i can't seem to find specific mentions of where they were raised.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Yeah, I'm having that same problem, and Im compiling lots of documents atm and don't have much time to find out so hence..

I'll keep looking but most of my sources are centred around the early middle ages...

That's fine - any information and effort are greatly appreciated. If we can't get particularly far on those regiments, that is fine for now. The government will have primarily factional units as opposed to regional units - we ll be using the same thing 1648 uses, namely LEGIO names (e.g.: LEGIO XV: The Duke of Argyll's Regiment), so those regiments would just be for variation's sake and can be added in any patch afterwards.

The Scots Greys Dragoons were known to have fought on the side of William at Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689. They are also kind of cool since they have a nice individual uniform (grey coats, the grey horses isn't recorded as fact for quite some time after they're founded). And the search goes on...

Coolios. I distincly remember there being a number of books that state the regiments. Although the regiments will mostly be indicated by LEGIO, a number of units were more special. Perhaps try to find a book with one of the lists - I think Osprey might have one...

One thing about this mod is now i'm going to have to watch Rob Roy again Just like 1648 (a german mod about the 30 year war) made me download and watch The Last Valley (1971) with Michael Caine. Are you only interested in regiments raised during the time or in the area? The Somerset Light Infantry served in the area but (obviously) aren't raised there. I'll have a look at some books on the issue.

Currently only in regiments RAISED during that time in the area. The other regiments will be represented by spawned armies during events (return of troops from flanders, william's invasion of Northern Ireland, etc)

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Wow, I cannae believe I haven't seen this mod yet, it looks amazing! I'm glad tae see a mod aboot Scottish history like this one and I hope yer project goes on well! If I had more time these days I would offer my help as a historian if it is needed and if my knowledge would help. +Rep anyway

And of course the name of the mod is great!
    Last edited by Mausolos of Caria; October 11, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Glad you're so enthusiastic! Let me know if you have any information you feel HAS to be shared! Also, the menu is finished. Will have an update on that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    Glad you're so enthusiastic! Let me know if you have any information you feel HAS to be shared! Also, the menu is finished. Will have an update on that soon.
    Well it seems you have already done a hell of research! Even the general map and the faction list must be quite hard to get for such a restricted area. The only thing to share which comes into my mind right now is that the town of Inverurie should be on the map There was one of the battles in 1745, a less victory for the Jacobites but the third last battle on British soil. I've been there last month.

The supposed battlefield:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Description of the battle
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Yeah, aware of that battle. sadly, it's almost straight next to aberdeen and thus not really suitable to be represented as a stand-alone settlement. I'm thinking of limiting the amount of castle PSFs, and adding a number of village PSF's. Will see how that works out - first the recruitment system and music. A violinist is currently doing the soundtrack! (this dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtneseN6bEQ)

Yeah of course Aberdeen is more important, if Inverurie gets in as a village PSF that would be cool, otherwise dinnae werry

That music sounds great

Cheers. currently I can't work, as it doesn't seem to work on this laptop and I can't figure out the problem. it's to do with the models_strat since it says that I dont have enough video memory to load the textures in the log (which doesn't mean that my laptop is ), but nothing seems to be wrong when I check it. Weird. Anyway, noticed the menu needs a few more tweaks. will update the first post when that's done. Might make a proper attempt at restructuring and updating it later....the intro post looks compared to what we have so far lol.

Could be a missing texture? It sometimes throws up that when it can't find a texture, could be you misspelled it in the models_strat perhaps.

Got it already for some reason there was a wrong entry in descr_models_strat and I fixed it now. Weird that it works on my other laptop though...oh well.

Also, smoes, you know how lithuania can turn christian instead of pagan in teutonic? how many factions can do that? I'd need it for three factions total but I believe it can only be done by one....do you have a clue?

My eyes see EXCELLENT work is done here !
    Keep it up & going..........................................................Cheers (+rep.)

Thanks for the kind words. I need some advice though. I can do the following:

either I make the jacobites have regional recruitment, and the government mainly factional, or I make both of them heavily regional.

for the first, the government would have very generic units such as ''musketeers'' ''fusiliers'' and ''dragoons''. The jacobites would simply be listed under clan name ''Macdonalds, Stuarts'' etc.

For the second (which requires a buttload of reading, but which I seem to be getting along with nicely) I can list each regiment and assign them to their respective regions. This would mean that all clans in for example ross-shire (Mackenzie's, McRae's and Frasers) would be put in one regiment named ''Seaforth's Regiment". The government's forces will also only be recruitable in places that are historically accurate. THIS MEANS THAT YOU CAN NOT RECRUIT IN OCCUPIED TERRITORIES. If historically, there was no regiment recruited from edinburgh by the jacobites, then they will NOT be able to do this in-game either, even though you have captured it - This makes it a lot harder to actually conquer everything, too!

what do you people prefer? It must be noted that I considerd using ''LEGIO'' before, but then if you a government faction recruits from a former jacobite town, it will show up as a jacobite's colonel's regiment in the goverment army which to me really does not make any sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by dmcraanen; October 15, 2012 at 04:36 PM.