Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

Sadly I don't speak Gaelic, but if you do - why don't you help us by recording some lines for us? Also, please provide a translation?

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    Sadly I don't speak Gaelic, but if you do - why don't you help us by recording some lines for us? Also, please provide a translation?
    I asked if there is any Gaelic in the mod, given that the Highlanders at that time would have mostly spoken Gaelic, rarely Scots/English. I should have said Albais. I would record some lines for you mo charaid, but I'm afraid I'm not a very good voice actor. However, I would recommend contacting An Comunn Gaidhealach (the Gaelic Council) here in Scotland. They'll definitely have people who'd love to record lines for you I'm sure (swearing and oaths and all, because there's a hell of a lot of them in Gaelic), and they'll be much more fluent than me. I've got a kind of a bastard Gaelic from all over the place.

Here's an comunn's website:

http://acgmod.org/

agus here's the website for the Gaelic council of inverness.

http://gsi.org.uk/

You might get authentic speakers from out there if you want. One of the most important things about Gaelic is the diversity of the language i.e. dialects could change within 30 miles. Many of these dialects no longer exist sadly, but make sure you've not got a load of bloody Leodhasaich (Lewismen) doing your VA. Accents like Vikings.

Just to clarify a' chairdean, I am not joking when I say that the council will have people happy to record lines for the mod. They honestly will. They'll probably love the idea. Honestly, give them a phone or an email and they will probably leap at the chance. Even if there's not people at the council itself that will want to get involved, they will know people who will.

Cheers owlbread! I was in Scotland this summer, seeing if I could fine some Gaelic speakers who would want to help - but alas I didn't. This should help, as I think it'd be very cool if we could include it in the mod (it's a bit of an endangered language after all!)

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Owlbread View Post
    Just to clarify a' chairdean, I am not joking when I say that the council will have people happy to record lines for the mod. They honestly will. They'll probably love the idea. Honestly, give them a phone or an email and they will probably leap at the chance. Even if there's not people at the council itself that will want to get involved, they will know people who will.
    fantastic idea , imagine the pre battle speeches in gaelic , that would be spine tingling

Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    Cheers owlbread! I was in Scotland this summer, seeing if I could fine some Gaelic speakers who would want to help - but alas I didn't. This should help, as I think it'd be very cool if we could include it in the mod (it's a bit of an endangered language after all!)
    It is indeed, and folk like the Gaelic council would be more than happy to help because they'd be promoting the Gaelic in the process. Ask them to record whatever you want - speeches, battle cries, anything. They may even help in translating speeches for you or finding songs for your men to sing or whatever. You could even gain promotion for the mod this way, seeing as they'd probably talk about it a lot "Oh well we've been recording lines for a new computer game modification etc".

My knowledge of Jacobite Gaelic songs doesn't extend far beyond Gur milis Morag so I'm afraid I'm not much use there.

This sounds like an amazing idea for a mod. I have one question though, will Clan Fraser be Jacobite in 1688 rather than governmentalist?. I was just wondering about this because they sided with Bonnie Dundee in 1689 where they supposedly took part in the battle of Killiecrankie without their chief. They also Charles Edward Stewart in 1745 but they did take the side of the Hanoverians in 1715 - 1719.

We're still doubting about how that could best be represented. The problem with Clan Fraser was that the chief was on the hanoverian side in 1715, but the clan was not. The majority wanted to join the jacobites - which is why the chief chose that side in 1745 (since without clan support, happens). Same goes for the Gordons by the way, and the MacLeods. I reckon we'll keep them all as jacobites for the time being. IF you have a better / good suggestion to solve this issue, please let me know!

edit: just noticed your question was because they're listed as ''government'' in the main post. This has already been corrected in the game, but not in the main thread (same goes for the new regions - we went from 60 to about 100 to represent regionalism in the highlands). As stated above, my main laptop is quite dead, so when I get the new one (give it a week or so), I ll be able to do something proper about the original post, and give you all and update on the menu's and some of the new campaign map settlements! Custer's laptop is also dead, so the models will take a bit longer, sadly.
    Last edited by dmcraanen; September 23, 2012 at 03:57 AM.

Perhaps you could take a leaf out of Shogun 2's book and allow clans to switch allegiance. That would give us the chance to be "historically accurate" if we choose.

Yes, but how do you suggest that to work in terms of religions ? (the religion is the culture here. Either governmentalist, or jacobite)

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hey Dmcraanen, what is your map size? From your screenshots it looks slightly bigger than mine at 350 x 420. Did you have a good holiday?

not a hundred % sure about the map size. As I mentioned, my laptop died so I can't currently check. Asked Sanderlicious, he knows, so I ll get back to you on that one. Holiday was good. Tiresome and awesome. How's your mod coming along?

The map_heights is 517x717. Is that what you wanted to know?

Patrician

Yes it is, I knew I should have made mine bigger Now I'll have to start again!

Seriously though, I really like the look of your map and especially the textures. My mod is coming along slowly as it is a solo project at the moment, but it is moving forward. The worst part about your mod is that it will stop me playing my mod...please don't make it too good

I ll try my best not to disappoint! As said - we can share information and stuff, since we're doing the same area, just a few hundred years apart. Do you only focus on Scotland this time by the way? With all the changes and stuff.

Patrician

The primary focus will be on Scotland and the clans, and the bulk of research and data ia being added for the Scottish Factions. A strong and powerful England is vital as well.

Hey, I just saw your 2D art dropdown for the interface, this is a really superb effort, and absolutely seamless. Who created it, as I'd really like to get some pointers and also give them some rep+?

Quinlan did - I suggest keeping your eye on that for a bit (and in fact the entire the first post), as I'll be doing a minor overhaul on that in the next two-three weeks hopefully (depending on how fast we get things done). It'll include the models that are already in some posts, some new strat map models, and the menu, updated interface and a loading screen Cheers for the talk on steam - I am sure this'll help us both real good.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Are there any plans to make historical battles? It would be really nice to have the battle of the boyne since it wouldn't be feasible to extend the map southwards that far. Also is there any plans to try and recreate the highland charge? Or is something like that possible?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

That would be nice, but it is not a priority right now. If however, someone feels like contributing in that fashion, he or she is more than welcome to help. If we can't make it for the first version, then I'll make sure to release a patch that includes the most important ones later.

About the highland charge: yes, we'll include that. medium-quality units and noblemen will have an extra strong charge. For noblemen it will be as follows: they'll have a pistol, a broadsword and a targe. They discharge their pistols, and follow up with their strong charge.