Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

Wouldn't it be more authentic to have a bag piper as an 'officer' instead of a whole unit? I mean a whole unit of it can be devastating, but is it fatal?

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

Well, depending on how powerful we make it, Im sure it can be. We intend to really make it one of the core units of any '(large!) highland army. The thing is that the pipers enjoyed a really high status in highland society - they used barely any written sources and as such the pipers were the history books as they knew the songs of their ancestors etc, and the clansmen would believe that their ancestors would imbue them with strength if they would hail them before battle. Surely they can do that by just reciting their lineage, as they did, but in a culture where such things are so important, I'd very much like to represent that and the exceptional boost in morale the pipers would give them. As such, I think it would be a mistake to underrepresent the pipers by making them an officer unit, if that makes sense. I might nonetheless include pipers as officer units in government regiments, but I'd have to figure out how that'll work with the music (as I have fifes and drums and pipes and drums).

Blog Entries

You can have up to 3 different officer models per unit (which do not require to be units in the EDB, only in modelDB - thereby not filling a valuable slot).

And I take it the fighting bag piper unit isn't going to hit with the stick things from the bag pipe? (Tell me when the trolling is getting too much)
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 07, 2012 at 05:25 AM.

I'm aware of the limit there! No worries, it's just that I feel the pipers' importance is more emphasized by this system, and I feel it gives the game an bit of a mechanic that requires the player to use his brains a bit more rather than just rush and whack into a unit straight away :p the highlanders will also be very strong in ambushes, and how awesome is it if you're in a glen, ambush an army and out of the woods your pipers start playing and your highlanders charge the enemy! (the whole point of the battle system here is that the english and scots are unbeatable on open terrain, but as soon as there are woods or such, there are ways in which the highlanders can win heroically (there will be highland line infantry, but they ll be limited). So im just going to stick with the original plan.

In addition, the highlanders will not whack with their pipes, but rather they will throw empty bottles of whisky at the enemy, getting drunk during the process and as such they will automatically run amok after 5 mins of fighting [/troll off]

madrush's Avatar Senator

those stick things are drones and the one that they hold that resembles a flute of such is called a chanter (ik, i have bagpipes at home) and as for highlanders being strong in ambushes; what about Preston pans, Stirling bridge, the estates outside of Edinburgh. those are some of the greatest battles won by the highlanders that were in the open against a superior government (Hanoverian/Anglo) host. I say that the highlanders would have an increase of bonuses and stat increases when in woods and all the heather (form of shrubs) but generally strong all around but extremely weak to projectile like phenomenally crazy weak, with high morale, high stamina with the special ability for the clan swordsmen call highland charge that acts like war cry but also increases stamina for a short length of time with the act of increasing all friendly units attack and morale boost and lowers enemy morale substantially.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    I'm aware of the limit there! No worries, it's just that I feel the pipers' importance is more emphasized by this system, and I feel it gives the game an bit of a mechanic that requires the player to use his brains a bit more rather than just rush and whack into a unit straight away :p the highlanders will also be very strong in ambushes, and how awesome is it if you're in a glen, ambush an army and out of the woods your pipers start playing and your highlanders charge the enemy! (the whole point of the battle system here is that the english and scots are unbeatable on open terrain, but as soon as there are woods or such, there are ways in which the highlanders can win heroically (there will be highland line infantry, but they ll be limited). So im just going to stick with the original plan.
    Experiment with the stat_ground entry in EDU. The third number is for forest fighting.

Edit: we have used a supply wagon in 1648 with all the trimmings (eagle, command etc) to give some edge to the army.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    In addition, the highlanders will not whack with their pipes, but rather they will throw empty bottles of whisky at the enemy, getting drunk during the process and as such they will automatically run amok after 5 mins of fighting [/troll off]

Just a bit of a question during my holidays - I would be exceptionally happy if anyone capable of using the IWTE tool would want to do some (very simple) new models for forts, castles and cities. This will mostly consist of reshaping and resizing the settlements and will not be difficult. No new models are needed for the time being - all the vanilla stuff can be re-used instead. Please send me a PM if you wish to help out, or if you know a friend that might help!

Also, to answer Madrush (7th of august), I agree with you there that they will be strong all-round in terms of unit quality, but there will just simply be far less line infantry. The battles at Prestonpans and Falkirk were won because of 1. excellent highland morale and 2. undisciplined and undertrained government units. Don't forget the scots government had zero money to deal with any threat. As soon as proper, trained troops were used (read: battle of Culloden) in an open field with tactics that the troops were used to (musket volleys and cannon grapeshot) the highlanders are cake. summary: the highlanders CAN beat the government in the open, but they will have less troops to do so with. Basically saying that the government will have 3 stacks of properly trained troops ready, while you will struggle keeping up one or two. As such, it is much more profitable to do lots of smaller attacks in the highlands until the government troops are broken (and there will be a supply system), and then close in for the kill with a proper army with line infantry (also, the jacobites cannons will be absolute balls, so take the government ones out during ambushes!) Also, cool about the bagpipes - I play them myself, too.
    Last edited by dmcraanen; August 20, 2012 at 03:45 AM.

madrush's Avatar Senator

also at culloden the terrain favored the government troops due to the hill march land AND a much more superior sized host and trained troops

I agree the government was favoured in terms of terrain. The size wasn't all that different (8000 vs 7000), and in fact the Jacobite lines were better, since there was a fortification on their right flank which (if they had manned it) would have protected the entire right flank of the army from any serious attack. as I said, Im not trying to argue that they couldn't win, it's just that you would have to do some serious managing of strong line infantry with a high morale (since desertion was quite a big problem - the highlanders often preferred to go back to their farms which were close by in the highlands) and not lose too many on the flat lands due to musket and cannon fire (as you suggested, the highlanders will be highly vulnerable to missile fire). Lord Murray himself advocated a guerilla campaign (which Michael Collins effectively used 200 years later in Ireland) rather than open battles. Also, its useful for game purposes to emphasize the difference a bit . makes it more fun in terms of different tactics. No worries, you ll be liking the system.
    Last edited by dmcraanen; August 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

madrush's Avatar Senator

im sure i will and anticipate the release

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

I've said this before (on Steam) that you should make a preview image of the interface with 1024x768 resolutionsize (this shows the ui at it's best resolution) and makes for better promotion of your mod. Furthermore I think you should also preview the info pages of the interface.

Also I noticed the regions map is not lining up with the radar map.

Alrighty! Little update: I'm finally in Belfast after a month of travels, and I ll have my proper laptop again in a week, so then I can continue!

In the meanwhile, |\/|ark|2| has been working on new settlement models (campaign map) , which he is slowly but surely progressing with. Quinlan is working on the menu, splash screen and loading screens and Custer is working on Uv-mapping the models (which are almost all finished now). Sadly his laptop has some trouble, so he's getting it fixed. Finally, we have most of the skins already but they need some adjusting and fine-tuning and for this Radboud has kindly volunteered himself. Also Rad, I ll make sure the resolution on the interfaces is better soon

Hey, do you still need me? I was on vacation in Toronto, Canada and was away. So if you still need me I'm just a PM away.

madrush's Avatar Senator

need screenies

Haha patience Madrush. I want to have all the menu art and all the custom settlements done before I preview them. Not long now though!

madrush's Avatar Senator

UGH the suspense is killing me

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

good progress , looking forward to it , alba gu bra'th

Thrilled to hear you like it. We're really getting along quite well, but sadly my computer died. I'll have to fix myself a new one, and then we can go all-out again! Apologies for the delays!

A bheil Gaidhlig ann? Bha na Gaidhealaich mar na Jacobites a bruidhinn Gaidhlig, cha robh iad a' bruidhinn Beurla.