Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [mini-update: highland battlemaps, see last post]

Randomdude, if you'd like to play with your clan, you can recruit Clan Chattan (Chattan confederation) units in Badenoch, of which clan Davidson was a member.

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [mini-update: highland battlemaps, see last post]

That sounds Great. Hope to see this mod come into full Form

madrush's Avatar Senator

the ol granite city of aberdeen, clan macintosh here

It ll be quite a while before the mod is finished, but we ll keep a steady stream of updates going. And nice Madrush, might be visiting Aberdeen this summer. MacKintosh will also be Chattan of course, so you ll just have to take over that region there

And to keep you all updated on the progress, here is one of the highlander models that we've been working on. I've buggered General Custer about all the details, and he did a great job at putting that all together, so all rep goes to him.

Last edited by dmcraanen; July 19, 2012 at 07:23 AM.

madrush's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [new mini-update: Highland regiment model, see last post]

well you could use the models from my mod as for reference or use them if its possible

Black_Nebula's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [new mini-update: Highland regiment model, see last post]

I will be eager to try your mod when it is ready, clan McIntosh myself!
    "I find your lack of faith...disturbing" -DV

madrush's Avatar Senator

hoozah, more fellow clans men

We're fine on the models ta. The one above is just one of them, we have a few more done already. No worries!

Little update: I've finished adding regions to the map. Rather than 58, the map now has 91 regions - mostly in the highlands and northern ireland. I decided to do this because although the lowlands-politics generally adhered to the set shires, the highlands were very much divided, with each glen and island having it's own little politics. As such, there are now also more starting regions for the highland factions!

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [new mini-update: Highland regiment model, see post 104]

A little question to those following the thread: I am currently in the process of writing faction descriptions. Now, I know a fair lot about the different clans, so I would like some feedback from you on what you want to learn about the clans in respect to this mod. It would be great if you could give your opinion on this.

I can discuss the origins of the clan and the late medieval period in a buildup toward a paragraph on the situation now, or I could focus on the clan chief (since he'll be alive throughout most of the mod), or I can do a focus on the area where the clan comes from, together with a few heraldic connections etc. I can also write about the fate of the clan during the rebellions - who they supported and when, what battles they fought during the mod's period etc. Or perhaps I can do something entirely different!

Looking forward to your ideas!

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [new mini-update: Highland regiment model, see post 104]

So fresh, so good. This is a great looking mod. And as a mapper I like your strat map textures as well

madrush's Avatar Senator

clan description, allies, allegiance, duty, fate and famous clan chieftain(s).
    for my clan which is MacIntosh, allied to the chattans, my clan was divided between pro-government and pro-Stuart, col or cpt Anne of MacIntosh was pro- Stuart, her husband was pro-government. Chattans were renowned warriors for theyre fierceness in battle, MacIntosh were a clan strictly dutied as bodyguards of the the king. MacIntosh lands included Edinburgh and Culloden moore.
    The clans that currently make up the Clan Chattan Association are
    Clan Mackintosh (chiefs)
    Clan Macpherson
    Clan Davidson
    Clan Farquharson
    Clan MacBain
    Clan MacGillivray
    Clan Macintyre of Badenoch
    Clan MacLean of Dochgarroch
    Clan MacPhail
    Clan MacQueen
    Clan MacThomas
    Clan Shaw
    Clan Cattanach

During the 1745 Jacobite Rising, Angus, the chief of Clan MacKintosh was a captain in the Black Watch. Although traditionally the Clan supported the House of Stewart they had not declared for the Young Pretender. Angus's wife, Anne, of Farquharson, successfully rallied the Chattan Confederation to the Jacobite cause.
    Following the defeat at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 the clan was severely diminished in strength and influence. In 1747 the Clan Chattan Association was established as a way to stimulate interest in the clan history.

In the risings of 1715 and 1745 Clan Chattan declared for the Stuarts, and suffered as a consequence. Among the dead and captured after the Battle of Preston in 1715 were numbered many bearing Clan Chattan surnames, especially MacGillivrays. The Mackintosh chief was imprisoned until August 1716 and he died at Moy in 1731. When Bonnie Prince Charlie returned in 1745 to promote his father¹s claim to the throne, the chief of the Mackintoshes was an officer of George II in command of a company of the Black Watch. He did not rally to the prince¹s call to arms, but his wife, Anne, daughter of Farquharson of Invercauld, raised the confederation in his absence, selecting MacGillivray of Dunmaglas as commander. Under him the Clan Chattan Regiment fought at the Jacobite victory of Falkirk in 1746. It is of note that there were separate MacPherson and Farquharson regiments.

The suppression of the Highlands after the Forty-five undermined the nature of the confederation, and its members largely sought independent destinies. The major families continued to dispute the vestiges of power, but no more violently than in heated debate before the Court of the Lord Lyon. As early as September 1672, the MacPherson claim had been swept aside by the Lord Lyon, and Mackintosh was declared to be chief of the name of Mackintosh and of Clan Chattan.
    Last edited by madrush; July 22, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I like the dedicated map, matey.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

madrush's Avatar Senator

Last edited by madrush; July 23, 2012 at 08:02 AM.

Seen the film Madrush! Not bad at all.

I also have a bit of an update for you all. I'll be away on holiday for a month or so, which means not much progress in that period. Will get right back at it once I am back though. A bit of a farewell for the coming month, I present you with the following piece of music, recorded by Nick MacVicar, a very talented bagpipe player and a friend of his. This music will be used for the bagpipes (and drums) units of the jacobites (amongst other tunes, we have 5-6 for each faction)! The government will naturally have not only bagpipes, but also fifes and drums for the more regular regiments. The instruments used are period pieces, so all authentic!

About the unit itself: we aim to give all of the highland factions a separate bagpipe (and drums) unit rather than incorporating them into the battalions themselves. The units will have the druid trait, which means that they will not constantly play. They will also be limited to 3 or less units per faction. The reason we aim to do this, is because we feel it would greatly enhance gameplay: having a pipes an drums unit in your army will greatly boost the morale of the units close to them, and in order to encourage you to use them actively, we use the druidic trait so you have to march them close to a certain group of units that is in danger or has a wavering morale, and subsequently boost that morale with the bagpipers! In addition, the bagpipers will be a strong melee unit wielding broadswords. There will, however, only be some 6-8 bagpipers in the entire unit, so using them as an offensive unit might not be your best option there!

Feel free to download the file below. I must stress though - THIS PIECE MAY NOT BE USED WITHOUT PERMISSION.
    Cheers!

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2kgu...ts_Wha_Hae.mp3

(and yes, it is titled Scots Wha Hae which was written later in the century, but the original tune is a lot older).
    Last edited by dmcraanen; July 30, 2012 at 06:36 AM.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [30-7: Bagpipe music and unit explanation. See post 114!]

Good work so far on this mod dmcraanen, I'm looking forward to seeing more and eventually playing it!

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [30-7: Bagpipe music and unit explanation. See post 114!]

And finally for this month, the highland noble model - again done by Custer with some additional nagging about the details by me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    And finally for this month, the highland noble model - again done by Custer with some additional nagging about the details by me.

Dang....if a pack of them were coming at me, I'd want to be off-sky.

The models are brilliant! Beautifully detailed. Compliments to Custer (and your nagging )

I am especially interested in seeing the bagpipe unit in action; adds another level of strategy I think.

Anyways, as I continue to flesh out the building tree, I am finding it increasingly difficult to find much on the buildings/infrastructure of the era. So if anyone has ideas, suggestions, or information concerning the possible building trees, their effects, and requirements, I'd love to hear about it!

At the moment, I am particularly interested in how land ownership worked at this time as I feel it will be a highly intricate part of the settlement structure. I have created building trees that include pastureland, crofts, run rigs, and country houses, so any information about these would be great. I'm also having a little trouble finding much about the taxation systems of the era. Were factors (property managers) around at this time?

madrush's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

cant wait until the model is complete with all the dazzle and details placed