Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [Updated map in first post]

Hello I am a Modeler I would be happy to help with this mod I will attach some of my work below.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I like the map ground types, but some of your mountain peaks will need 'flattening' - they really peak!

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

@ MrRandomDude, That's great! PM sent.

@ Gigantus, Yeah, figured. I'll be smoothening things after I finished everything, together with redirecting rivers and all. Thanks for the advice!

Gigantus, is there anyway to make the mountains more rigged, yet not have such peaks as in my first screenshots? I can't seem to make the peaks much lower.

Blog Entries

The pin point peaks are usually a matter of a single pixel having an extreme value.
    In GIMP I use the smudge tool to give that area a more 'level' height.

it only happens if I dump high mountains on it in ground_types though...and you can't smudge ground types.

Blog Entries

high_mountains has got that additional CAS 3D file - sometimes it really doesn't look good, especially in small spots.

Cant wait to play as the Irish in this mod

Glad to hear! Just so you know: units in this mod will mostly be region-specific and religion-specific, not faction-specific. Nonetheless, it is of course necessary to have a few of those too, one being Clare's Dragoons. If you're a Jacobite faction, you will also be able to recruit Irish regiments as mercenaries from the coastal areas, representing the Irish regiments in french service! As for the playstyle - the Irish will be very, very hard to play in the early part (first 30-50 turns or so), since historically they were defeated in 1692, which will be represented by spawning armies. Nonetheless, you might of course defeat those and take back the entire north of Ireland As mentioned before, if this all works out well in the end, I might consider focussing on Ireland alone for one campaign, and the entirety of Britain for another, but don't quote me on that...

I need some feedback from those who are following this mod! I am currently adding all the factions, and I can do two things in terms of colours (of factions on the radar map)

I can either use two colours, in different shades (to represent the two 'sides', jacobites and governmentalists), where each clan would get a different shade of the colour of the side they belong to. In this way, the conflict comes to life more, as you can immidiately see the amount of land under the rule of either the jacobites or the government. a disadvantage would obviously be that it would be a little hard to see the amount of land you own as a faction yourself, and it would be a bit odd if you would decide to attack your own side. On the other hand, this could also show the feuds that raged between the clans still!

or I can use the two colours that are the primary colours of the district tartan belonging to the clan / faction itself. Note that during this time (18th century) there was no such thing as a 'clan tartan'!!

I am more inclined to do the first, but I'd like some feedback on it.

Perhaps Gigantus can give his opinion, since he worked on the 30 year war, and AlphaDelta if he happens to be around, too?

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [your feedback is needed: see my last post on page 4]

Why not have each faction share one colour (ie red for the government, blue for the jacobites) and another independent colour. This way on the map you'll see the borders of all the government/jacobites be clear and separate, whereas you'll also be easily able to differentiate between allied factions by the "fill" colour. Hope that makes sense

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [your feedback is needed: see my last post on page 4]

You mean like using the fill colour as red for all the jacobites for example, and then making the borders in separate colours yes? I thought of that, but I like the uniformity of the whole thing....I don't want a colourfest...what colours would you suggest? I can only think of various shades of black and white =/ There's 20 factions in total, about 8 for the jacobites and 10 for the government, so that would still be shades that would look alike much due to the amount of factions...

I like the idea of different shades of red vs. blue...

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    You mean like using the fill colour as red for all the jacobites for example, and then making the borders in separate colours yes? I thought of that, but I like the uniformity of the whole thing....I don't want a colourfest...what colours would you suggest? I can only think of various shades of black and white =/ There's 20 factions in total, about 8 for the jacobites and 10 for the government, so that would still be shades that would look alike much due to the amount of factions...
    The other way around, so just the borders were the same colour. That way it would be both clear to see the Jacobite/Government lines, but also very easy to see different factions

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Still not quite figured out what to do. Thing is that some clans were split: either the chief fought for the jacobites and his sons for the government (or vice versa), or the chief wanted to fight for one side, but that clan members just gave him the finger and went to fight for the other side without him...hmm! Anyone else has ideas?

Split the difference for "confused" clans? i.e. if you go red vs. blue make the split clans purple?

Yes, I could do that. Or I could make them white, just like the Rebels, as they represent minor clans with no particular affiliation (so they would join the side that pays best or that they feel connected to most)..What do you think about that?

White wouldn't be so bad either.

Could also flip the colour scheme. Instead of red with a white border, I could make it white with a red border....so many options! I ll just sit and think on this for a while. In the process of writing all the faction descriptions now anyway..

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [Updated Campaign map (21-06, incl. Lowlands) in first post!]

Also, do we have any Northern English, Lowland Scots or Highland Scots on this forum who would like to have their voices in?