Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

madrush's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

would MacIntosh have a special unit or a separate faction?

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

At the moment MacKintosh would have one or two units and their name in the list of surnames. I've been debating adding them with myself, and perhaps I might find the space for them. It's just that particular area is so crowded. I do admit that they are a very important faction though. The only real way I could see myself adding them is by including them in the Chattan Confederation and add a few regions here and there still...

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

It's good to see you are making progress, that map looks very immersive, + rep The option you have chosen also makes more sense to me for the campaign.
    All these scripts you have planned sound like a hell of work, though, but it would be great to have them all working, I don't think that I have seen a mod with such a complex script before. Keep it up
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Well, I'm sure we'll eventually get there. Always good to aim high (not too high), so you can tune down where needed. There's more options, but this one seems the most immersive. Thank you for your support! Col. Tartleton is working on the unit skins, so I reckon we should have some more to show you very soon!

When I look at your map you showed to us my heart is getting itchy all over because it makes me longing even harder, time to pass faster as I
    will wander The Highlands and The Isle of Skye for 2 weeks starting at the end of April.....

Excellent! What route will you be taking? Are you doing a multi-day hike or just drive around and take walks here and there? I'm going to do an off-trail hike near Loch Morar next summer myself! Taking the Harry Potter train (Aka the Jacobite (how fitting)) and then walk back to Fort William.

Also, I'm making good progress on the new regions, so huzzah

The units look great. M2TW will go back onto my hard drive as as soon as this is released. Bon courage, good General!

Very nice also !
    My plan is to stay 2-3 days at every B&B I pre-booked and then drive 1,5 hour max. to the next B&B.
    The places I will stay at are Dalmally-Lochawe , Dornie , Penifiler , Lochend.
    Main interests are The Quiraing at Skye and Culloden/Inverness/Loch Ness

I suggest you take the route past Loch Gowan rather than the one straight from inverness to Skye!

Alright well I've been stupid enough to overwrite both my original file and backup file with a file that still had layers open in Gimp, so I have to redo all the regions, so I guess the new regions will have to wait a bit longer...lord almighty.

edit: after some speedworking for the last hour, that's been solved now as well. Back on schedule!
    Last edited by dmcraanen; February 08, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

madrush's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by dmcraanen View Post
    At the moment MacKintosh would have one or two units and their name in the list of surnames. I've been debating adding them with myself, and perhaps I might find the space for them. It's just that particular area is so crowded. I do admit that they are a very important faction though. The only real way I could see myself adding them is by including them in the Chattan Confederation and add a few regions here and there still...
    good point, maybe making colonel ann's regiment and macintosh guard unit

there will be a normal clan unit (just a band of highlanders) for them (As well as for macpherson), and there will be a regiment (taken from the first page under ''units'')

29. Laird of MacKintosh’s Regiment

madrush's Avatar Senator

Lady Anne Farquharson-Mackintosh (1723-1787) was a Jacobite of the Clan Farquharson and the wife of Angus, Chief of the Clan MacKintosh.
    Born in 1723 to John Farquharson of Invercauld, chief of the Clan Farquharson and staunch Jacobite. She was married to Angus Mackintosh, Chief of the Clan Mackintosh.
    Early in 1744 Angus was offered one of three new Independent Companies being raised by John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun. Anne, dressed in male attire, rode around the glens and, in a very short time, enlisted 97 of the 100 men required for the captaincy. During the 1745 Jacobite Uprising, Angus' company fought with Lord Loudon's government forces, aka. the Black Watch, in the Highlands.
    When Bonnie Prince Charlie Charles Edward Stuart landed in Scotland in 1745, Anne, then 22 years old, forcefully raised between 200 and 400 men from Clan Mackintosh and the Chattan Confederation for the Prince. As women could not command in the field, the regiment was placed under the command of MacGillivray of Dunmaglass. 'Colonel' Anne's regiment joined the Prince's army at Bannockburn, near Stirling Castle, in January 1746, 12 days before the Battle of Falkirk.
    A month later the Prince was staying at Moy Hall, Lady Anne's home. She received a message from her mother-in-law that 1,500 of Lord Loudon's men, including her husband's company stationed 8-12 miles away at Inverness, were planning a night raid on Moy Hall to snatch the Prince (and claim the £30,000 bounty). Anne sent five of her staff out with guns to crash about and shout clan battle cries to trick the Government forces into thinking they were about to face the entire Jacobite army. The ploy worked and the Government force fled. The event became known as The Rout of Moy.
    The next month her husband and 300 of Loudon's men were captured north of Inverness. The Prince paroled Captain Mackintosh into the custody of his wife, Lady Anne, commenting “he could not be in better security, or more honourably treated.” She famously greeted him with the words, "Your servant, captain" to which he replied, "your servant, colonel" thereby giving her the nickname "Colonel Anne". She was also called La Belle Rebelle (the beautiful rebel) by the Prince himself.
    After the Battle of Culloden, Lady Anne was arrested and turned over to the care of her mother-in-law for a time. She later met the Duke of Cumberland at a social event in London with her husband. He asked her to dance to a pro-Government tune and she returned the favour by asking him to dance to a Jacobite tune. She died in 1787.

Yeah, I know who she is. Point is that the regiment would be the exact same as the laird of mackintosh's regiment. I'll see, perhaps I'll change the name after 1730?

Alright, I've nearly finished the new regions now so I want to show you all where the clans would be positioned on the map and I want your opinion on it.
    The first map shows the clans that are in the game now, which has a lot of rebel territory as you can see. The second one has all the clans that could be in it, the new ones being:

Clan Hay
    Clan Keith
    Clan Sinclair
    Clan Stewart
    Chattan Confederation
    Clan Leslie
    The House of Hamilton

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Huh? I don't see new regions : Both maps look truly the same ; except for some color differences....................... No, I'm just kidding....

Although I can't tell if the clan territories are located correctly, the new map looks very good to me !
    imo that's because there's not much rebel regions left. And that's what I like !

And a Great job, DMC, to have taken care of that overwrite job that fast...fast as lightning, cheerio (+rep)

Clan positions are as they should be - guaranteed. Also, Mausolos, I think you'll be happy to hear that inverury / inverurie is now also on the map!
    edit: and so is Falkirk. Prestonpans is the name of one of the regions.
    Last edited by dmcraanen; February 13, 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Looks great! What color represents the government (i.e., British) starting positions?

The very dark blue. On the second map they start out with Edinburgh, Stirling (because it's the national garrison for heavy regiments), northern ireland and the whole or northern england. They will also hold the forts of Fort Augustus, Fort William, Fort George and the barracks of Bernera, Innersnate and Ruthven

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

That looks great, and thanks for Inverurie, I replied to your PM

And well done with that overwriting mistake, you'll also receive rep from me
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112