Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [25-1: added list of regiments to first post]

dmcraanen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

In addition, I have a little treat, which is a video with the menu and a song called ''The Campbells are Coming'' which will be used for troops such as the Argyll Militia, Loudon's Highlanders and the Cameronian Regiment! Ths song, along with 9 others, was recorded by Nick MacVicar especially for our mod. Thanks Nick!

Last edited by dmcraanen; October 16, 2012 at 03:37 AM.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: The High Road: The Jacobite Era [03-08: New unit model. See post 116!]

I've replied in the other thread regarding the recruiting, which I still think is better done as regional, as it is more flexible.

By the way do you have Prestonpans on the map? I agree with Mausolos of Caria, that Inverurie should get a mention on the map. I like the idea of moving away from the traditional adding of only major points on any campaign map. It's always good to add historically prominent settlements or castles too!

BTW, is that an ingame model and skin on the menu screen?

My problem is I haven't read anything on Culloden and the rebellion in almost 10 years....looks like I'll have to get back into it. I'm actually purchasing this book "No Quarter Given" this week.
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; October 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM.

Cheers. Replied there, too. That is an in-game model, but it's been painted over and it is not the original skin.We can get to work on that when Custer has his laptop fixed. Prestonpans is not on the map, but Im fairly sure that I ll remove a number of castles that were in disuse and add a number of important villages through PSFs
    Last edited by dmcraanen; October 16, 2012 at 03:06 AM.

Patrician

It's a good looking model. Also the targe pictured has a spike on it, will that be on the model ingame? Will you be featuring a custom battle of Culloden, so that we Jacobites can potentially re-write history?

That model will indeed be in-game, but not all targes will have spikes. It's more of a nobleman-thing:

I would love to make a battle of culloden, as well as killiecrankie and sheriffmuir, but the priority is to get the mod done first I am actually toying with the idea of making the battles appear in-game (so that you are forced into the battle at the historically accurate time) by spawning two armies (yours and the historical enemy) in an ambush. not sure how that should work though - thats a long way ahead.

My choice would be your 1st option, which is 'making the jacobites have regional recruitment, and the government mainly factional'. Cheers.....

thanks for the feedback keltoi! We've decided to go with a rather complex approach, but one we feel is the best. (let's hope this all works out). What we'll do is during / around historical wartimes (1689-1691 / 1715-1719 / 1745-1746) there will be professional troops available through missions. Outside wartimes these will not be available, but rather small clan bands and private guards with minor government forces will comprise the armies. These will not be available during wartime (so you may throw in your leftover troops from peacetime if you feel like it, but the focus will be on the heavily trained regiments). we'll coincide these regimental changes with jacobite risings, but only approximately (so as soon as you can get the units, you better start building up forces). Because of all this, the jacobite risings will also be the prime opportunities for large-scale expanding of your territory. Furthermore, the since we'll do them during missions, you can get ANY of the regiments from your side in your army (as opposed to during peacetime, when you'll only be able to have access to your own clan (and be not mistaken about the units: for peacetime there will be around 50 units all-in-all if we get it done, and for each rising there will be around 30-40 unique regiments as well! that's 30+30+30+50 = 140 units total!) The governmental factions however will receive some redcoats through missions every now and then).

Secondly: I've decided to kill the scottish faction almost entirely. You will no longer be able to play as the scottish government, as I will make them into a papal faction. Instead, the priests will become representatives of the earls and lords. The cardinals will be renamed Lords of Parliament, and the pope will become the High Commissioner for Scotland. I would have liked the include the jacobites into the parliament as well (as this was originally the case), but since that can not be done due to game restrictions, we'll just pretend all jacobite factions (and in fact many were) are no longer entitled to a government position after 1689. Instead, they will have nobles instead of imams, who will be able to call jacobite risings. The House of Stuart will have the same status as The Baron's Alliance. Because there is a vacuum without the scottish faction, I have decided to add the House of Kerr and the House of Maxwell (All lowland factions will be referred to as houses, since they were not clans, but has aspects of these). Maxwell is oriented around dumfries and the borders, and Kerr is oriented around Berwick-upon-tweed and the other side of the borders. Kerr is government, while Maxwell is jacobite.

Thirdly: My dear friend The Border Reiver is making a fantastic mod, and is doing coding for mine in the meantime as well. He's in need of modders who would like to help him with his mod! PM theborderreiver and have a look here if you're interested: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=530
    Remember: the more help he gets, the faster both mods wil be done, the earlier you can play both in sequence!

I'd be glad to hear all your feedback!!
    Last edited by dmcraanen; October 28, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

In addition, I would like your opinion on the following: which clan should replace clan Lindsay? clan Ogilvy, or Clan Hay?

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

An interesting idea about the Scottish government and priests as government agents, sounds promising Personally I'd prefer the Ogilvies as I have heard more about them, but I'm no expert for the clans.

As for your recruiting system ideas, it's a tough call. I suppose the AI can be restricted to the regional, historical recruitment as well? If that would work it would make the game extremely realistic and a great experience for everyone who knows the historical background. The disadvantage would be that people without the historical knowledge would probably complain and that the replay fun might be less big as for the ''normal'' solution.
    In short, I think it is a risk, but it might be one worth to go for to make your mod even more unique and unrivaled in historical accuracy. Anyway, good luck with your project
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Can wait to see this mod. Very nice mod.

There was a very, very old game that looks very similar like this(it has a similar idea) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUhAxg20weY
    Last edited by Asgaroth; November 01, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Interesting Asgaroth. Didn't know of that. sounds horribly inaccurate, but sounds highly fun as well. I ll let you all know as soon as I have any more news Should be relatively soon though - theborderreiver is working on the scottish parliament and the recruitment, and quinlan is as always steadily churning out great designs.
    Last edited by dmcraanen; November 01, 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Iam posting last progress done on strategic map unique models Iam working on , hope you guys like it

Last edited by IVIarkI2I; November 03, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

That is really good, would love some texture tips

Archagetes's Avatar Libertus

Yes, they are beautifull!

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

It's so pretty
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

Patrician

I still have Braveheart on my PC, although unstable it was quite a lot of fun and an overy ambitious game when it came out! I think I said I preferred Olgilvie too didn't I? About the recruitment from missions, I'm still working on this trying to get it to work as dmcraanen needs...especially the missions, but this might be very limited unless it is done through scripting only.

The other recruitment is quite similar to my own mod and works in my opinion much closer to the omplex amount of regional variety that existed historically.

Yes well, don't forget that this was a very different timeframe and there was only a very limited amount of weaponry. I've splitted the macdonalds into their respective branches, so that the macdonalds of keppoch will be using lochaber axes, the clanranalds probably muskets with limited ammo etc. It wouldn't make sense being able to recruit the troops, as the government assigns the troops to the respective government factions (who were not alltogether independent). Ofc the jacobite factions will be able to recruit their own units in wartime.

Patrician

It wouldn't make sense being able to recruit the troops, as the government assigns the troops to the respective government factions
    The only possible downside to this was as Mausolos of Caria mentioned above is that some people may not like not having control of when they recruit troops if they are a government faction. Anyway time will tell and let's see what it looks like to start with!

BTW, IVIarkI2I, brilliant job with your strat models, they are spot on. REP+

Aye, we ll see! maybe it just takes getting used to. its a very different way from the usual way. the point is also that you kill as many jacobite in as short a time period in the rising years...I reckon this should do that job