Thread: Letters back and forth

Default Letters back and forth

This is an AAR written in the style of letters being send between different parties, friends and families.
    Sometimes it might be a conversation or even a more unconventional sort of monologue.
    But it is based on the campaign I have played with the County of Wissenland.
    Please be aware that certain facts have been tweaked a little bit, in order to make them more interesting. This AAR will NOT feature any pictures because I don't believe that anyone would have been able to show another person a picture in a medieval world (also, I can't friggin access my screenshot folder =( ... ) I will also not mention battles in great length with exceptions. The letters do not correspond with the conventional turn based timeline.
    Thank you for reading this.

Extraction from the mass held by the priest of Sigmar Wolfgang Girno, written down by the author Hans Debwillen. It is the year of Sigmar 2523 in the late days of Jahrdrung. Wolfgang is holding his mass in the small town Hallspingen near Wissenburg:

... Blessed are those who have taken up the fight (Wolfang strikes the sign of the Hammer) and damned are the children of Mutation and Despair. For Sigmar, our lord, has told us, that the inpure seek the death of the rightous. Every man is blessed who stands by his side, defending his faith and his land from the lurking beasts who gather in the shadows. (Wolfgang pauses and picks up his hammer). This is his tool and your faith shall be yours, Sigmar be with you at all times. (Wolfgang pauses again and puts down his hammer again).
    I understand that many of you are frightened, frightened by the evil that has come over these lands. Many have prayed to Sigmar to help them. A beast that hides in the castle they call the Blood Keep is trying to stalk our lands and is skulking through our woods. The undead (at this point many villagers strike the sign of the hammer and a grasp is roaming through the crowd). Have faith, children! Many foolish men seem to rather believe in the rabbeling of old shrews than the teachings Sigmar gave us. Don't trust the words that are born in dark and scared hours. I have seen other villages abandoning their graveyards, robbing their fellow men of a prim and proper burial, saying that they fear that the dead may rise again. This is blasphemous (Wolfgangs voice rises to an angry shout)! Every man who served Sigmar has been given the right to join our God in death. Morr, aswell as his children, are blessed ferrymen who will allow every man a free passage to the afterlife, should said man been receiving an honest burial.
    Trust in your faith and in your Count. This is but a passing shadow, for twice did the skewed vampires lay siege to our beautiful town Nuln in the last year. Twice the Count's son rode out and met them in battle.Prince Hans, the defender of Nuln. He is a pious man and he let a worthy life, our Lord was with him. He cut down the children of the night and they wailed when they met true imperial soldiers. Have faith my children, for we are on the verge of winning over the shadow. Sigmar, the Emperor Karl Franz and Count Eusebius shall be at your side at all times...

Default Re: Letters back and forth

Letter adressed to Dietrich von Liebewitz, 3rd son of the Count of Wissenland and Bürgermeister of the city Wusterburg.
    It is the middle of Harvest-Tide in the year 2523

Dear Dietrich,

it has been some turbulent few months. I hope you and your newly found wife are well and in good health.
    It is saddening to realise that I haven't seen you in such a long while but I believe father has planned a visit of the Wusterburg soon. I will request him to pass onto you some assorted gifts that I have prepared for you. Not being able to attend your wedding was a griefing moment for me, but when Nuln was beleaguered by the Vampires I had little choice but lead the defences myself.
    It was only thanks to the grand cannonades found in the Nuln towers that we managed to push the undead back. You will be happy to find that one of the gifts I send you, is a rather curious item I have found amongst the Vampires after they had been slain on the battlefield. It is a ring with rather strange insignias on it. Guard it well, for I am sure that the Priests of Sigmar will not be happy for you to be wearing such a strange artefact in public.
    How is life in Wusterburg and near the Black Mountains ? Surely it is a great region to go hunting, especially for orcs.Whilst we are on the subject I am proud to report that our two brothers and I had a hunt last month, managing to catch a boar of not less than 16 stones. After a short squabble Michel claimed the cherished price for himself, afterall he dealt the killing blow with his boarspear. He had his servants send it to the trophy maker and exclaimed that he shall hang it up in his bedroom. I am sure that his wife will be most displeased with that, but young Michel has not yet felt the weight of time upon his shoulders and has to realise that the ongoing anger of a woman is scornfull and can drive a man to great sadness.
    As for Wolfgang, he is up and well. There is not much new to be said about Wolfgang really. As you might imagine that a former Captain of the Reiksguard might be of great value on the battlefield, but of little interest in conversation. He still talks about his glorious days in the Reiksguard and it is driving everyone insane. The other day he challenged a young squire for a round of fisticuffs and was utterly suprised when the young man dared to throw back a punsh. His great moustache that he tenderly looks after had been thrown into all directions.
    I believe that you are in good relations with father, he send me a letter the other day and it made me somewhat caucious. If I were to guess, I would say that the old man is planning a expedition into the heavily infested beastman territory that lies between you and the Wissenburg. I urged him not to, but he did not listen to my imploring words. Please write him a few soothing words so he calms.
    A while back some merchants came to the Wissenburg and upset the merchants guild. They came a long way and had brought spices and cloths from the mysterious lands of Ind. Unfortunately the merchant guild had them in the courtrooms within days and they were banished from our city. It was a terrible loss, for the things they were selling were strange and beautiful. It was very lucky that I managed to buy a book of one of the merchants before he had packed up and was on the road again with his fellows.
    My dearest brother, it is now the time to disguss more urgent matters.
    As you know, our father and the council of noblemen have decided that it was time to deal with the scurge of our land. Twice the undead marched to Nuln and they even dared to besiege Wissenburg. Fortunately our brave soldiers managed to beat them back.
    But the peasants are still suffering, reporting of shadows coming in the night, murdering them while they sleep. They are in outmost panic and not even the comforting words of Wolfgang, the very same priest whos masses we attendet as young boys, can calm them.
    Our father was not sure what to do. Our brothers and I begged him for an army, so we may march to the Blood Keep, but he said nay.
    Only when a letter from Wolfgang arrived did our father decide to attack.
    So, here we are, brother, finally!
    I have under my command more than five hundred halberdiers. I even was allowed to recruit more than five regiments of handgunners stationed in Nuln, aswell as been granted "Todes Sturm" one of the finest mortars found in the Wissenland arsenal. Wolfgang and Michel have accompanied me, aswell as a knight general send by the order of the Blazing Sun.
    You should see our army, it is well disciplined and the men are brave soldiers, ready to bring justicy to those devils that dare not face us in daylight.
    We have marched past our borders yesterday and have camped just two days away from the enemie's home.
    Tomorrow I shall have the army go through some last drills and preparation, because after that we will find ourselves in hostile territory.
    Wolfgang is thrieving in this environment and his experience is good for the men. I can undoubtfully say, that he himself will bring down dozens of the vampires.
    I shall write to you again, when I am sitting in the Keep.
    Until then, pray for us and I wish you a farewell.

Your brother,
    Prinz Hans of Wissenland

The_Historian's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Letters back and forth

Interesting new style of storytelling. Language is rather simple, plain and easy to understand, and because it's a letter, you don't really have to be overly fanciful with your writing. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, consider your story, stalked
    Aspiring Writer

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=548621
    ^Whispers of Temptation.
    Written by yours truly