Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware Buyers Guide.

Rhone's Avatar Civis

Default Re: PC Hardware Buyers Guide.

Yeah...but you built it yourself right?? And remember that computers are much more expensive in the UK than they are in the colonies.

Any UK people reccomend a good online site to buy a system from?...ie CHEAP
    Last edited by Rhone; June 01, 2007 at 05:15 AM.
    "Can you believe it, Ariadne?" said Theseus, wiping the blood from his sword. "The Minotaur barely defended itself."

-Conan the Barbarian-'s Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    With the way prices have dropped, you can build a decent core 2 system for that much....I just whipped one together that cost 400 CDN, which is about 200 pounds for you Brits....shop around some more.
    Ok where?!
    It has been surmised, that perhaps, my lord had become like a wild animal that had been kept too long. Perhaps, but whatever... freedom... so long an unremembered dream, was his.
    The children of Doom...Doom's children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

Civis

Core 2 System for 200 pounds? I think not.

Remember that for us Brits thing are more expensive here, so it wouldn't work out quite like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Core 2 System for 200 pounds? I think not.

Remember that for us Brits thing are more expensive here, so it wouldn't work out quite like that.
    The extra cost of stuff in britian really shouldnt be underestimated, take a look at the site I use (its cheap for the uk):

www.overclockers.co.uk

its probably about 10-20% more than the US.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

you can do c2d system (mobo, ram, cpu) for about Ģ200

[i][b]Working for the downfall of the Dark Tosser(s) for 5 years!
    Contact me to find out about CustomPCs for the UK!
    Like My Post? - Use the Button!
    MedievalTW - Feat. The TW Wiki
    Would you like your mod hosted for free? PM Me!

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Hi!

I'm buying myself a new PC by components. I've already bought LCD monitor SyncMaster 931c 19" and speakers 5.1 Genius SW-HF 5000. I've pretty much decided to buy AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Dual Core and Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe.
    I would need some advices on what graphic card to buy. At the moment I have Club 3D Nvidia 8800 GTS 320 MB pinned down. Is it good? Is there any better graphic card for comparable prizes? Is the firm Club 3D O.K.?
    I don't know which power supply to buy. Is 500 O.K. or should I give more? What case to buy - I don't know which one would be big enough to suit well my system. I don't need a fancy looking one, just practical.

Thanx in advance!
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

The 8800GTS 320 MB is still the best bang for the buck graphics card right now, good choice.

More wattage don't necessarily mean better powersupplies. For your computer, I say a powersupply at around the $80 range, maybe an Enermax Liberty 400W, should be fine.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Thanx for the answer!
    I'm thinking to buy Thermaltake W0104RE 650W in order to be able to make SLI functional. Is it maybe to loud? The model proposed by you can't be found in my country.
    What about the case, what do I have to be carefull about? What must be the size of it for my motherboard to fit in perfectly along with graphic card which I think isn't so small and the powersupply?
    Last edited by Hister; June 07, 2007 at 01:00 AM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

-Conan the Barbarian-'s Avatar Vicarius

Ok say I were to get a 8800 GTS 320 mb video graphics card, what is the minimum Memory, amd CPU and anything else would I need to make it run normally?
    It has been surmised, that perhaps, my lord had become like a wild animal that had been kept too long. Perhaps, but whatever... freedom... so long an unremembered dream, was his.
    The children of Doom...Doom's children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    Thanx for the answer!
    I'm thinking to buy Thermaltake W0104RE 650W in order to be able to make SLI functional. Is it maybe to loud? The model proposed by you can't be found in my country.
    What about the case, what do I have to be carefull about? What must be the size of it for my motherboard to fit in perfectly along with graphic card which I think isn't so small and the powersupply?
    Thermaltake make OK powersupplies. Try to find one that's made by Enermax, OCZ, Corsair, Silverstone, or Antec.

Any ATX case should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by conanthebarbarian View Post
    Ok say I were to get a 8800 GTS 320 mb video graphics card, what is the minimum Memory, amd CPU and anything else would I need to make it run normally?
    Well a good rule of thumb is getting a processor that's the same price as your graphics should work pretty well. So in your case an E6600, or what ever AMD has in that price range. For the memory, 2GB would be the best, or 4GB if you use Vista and want to be future proof.
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I was going to but a computer-package (building). Would like to get opinion on this one:

Cooler Master Centurion 534 Black, Aluminium Front

Hiper PSU ATX 580W Svart, 18dB,120mm fan,4xSATA,2XPCI-E,20/24pin

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8GHz Socket AM2 2MB, BOXED fan

Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's

ABIT KN9 SLI, nForce 570 SLI,Socket-AM2, DDR2, 2XGbLAN, Firewire, ATX, 2xPCI-Ex16

Gainward GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, "BP8800GTS-320M-TV-DD"

Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

LG DVD-burner GSA-H50N IDE black OEM.
    It cost roughly $ 1285. (8995 kr)

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Have you looked into a C2D system? You can get an over-clockers dream machine for right around $1000 USD. Where will you be ordering parts from?

Although they have a similar rig but its more expensive, it contains Core Duo cpu. They don't have it in stock for over a month. So I don't see why not going for this one.
    I don't see any problem using an AMD cpu, or? Core Duo is barerly used in its its full potential.

The product is on komplett.se, its a Swedish site.

Resistance is futile™

That's a good rig, I was just thinking more future proof for similar pricing.

So I buy it? Anyone more want to say something?

Resistance is futile™

Great guide. I am shopping for PC components at the moment and I have found that the guide closely agrees with my own findings.

One point: I you are going purely for power/$ then a better ultra high end power supply would be the OCZ gameXtreme 700W,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341002

The OCZ model can deliver 680W to the 12V rails compared to 600W for the corsair and it costs less.

This might be redundant given the OCZ power supply recommended at the high end level. I actually prefer a modular supply like the Corsair, and maybe at the ultra high level some case frills are acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Tėg View Post
    The OCZ model can deliver 680W to the 12V rails compared to 600W for the corsair and it costs less.
    Yeah, but its only 18a on each of the 12v+ rails. As is the Corsair.

Personally, I'm all about the PC Power & Cooling PSU's. They're expensive, but they are the best.

Icon14 Re: PC Hardware Buyers Guide.

Aion2006 SUMMER PC PLANNING

Ok so I told myself about 2 years ago. I should start saving and plan out to buy a NEW PC. Now that I saved enough money. Its time to built myself a new PC. First off is planning. It seem that AMD and Intel is dropping there price around July 29! Seem like a good time. Sadly I already spend 500$ on a PS3 Price DROP! ROFL

Ok I can spend a good amount of $ but nothing too expensive! ($900 Intel Core EXTREME). I'm a gamer so I'll look toward visual and preformance. I'm a bit new in computer but I learn as much as I can. I'm hoping to play M2:TW on ultra high and Crysis on High.

The TWC help me pick out my awesome Monitor. Hopfully I can get much advice here as well!

Plan So Far...

-Case: Huge ATX case (Already got it)
    -Motherboard: EVGA 680i deluxe or should I get the EVGA 650i?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188013
    -Video Card: N/A I want a good SLI for Medieval 2 and Crysis
    -Sound Card: My X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    -Power: This seem good:
    -Processor: Not really an AMD fan though I know much gamer enjoy it. What I read seem Intel C2D seem faster.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003
    -Ram: N/A Not sure. All I know is I want 2-4gb

Could anybody give me some advice if my buy is good or down right horrible. I'll take any advice and take into consideration.

My total fund for a PC is around $1,000-$2,000 bucks lol base on my custom built for Dell. I just don't want to super expensive SLI 8800 gtx card or those Quad Extreme Precessor. Too much...

Much help is need. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by aion2006; July 15, 2007 at 02:14 PM.

You have a nice rig there, similar to mine. I'm cross shipping right now to get the A1 motherboard as I have the AR. I'll be able to tell you how well it overclocks in a week or so.

If this is your first build you might consider modular cables, much cleaner and nicer to install. But that PSU you have picked is good and at a great price.

As for the memory you can go for good overclocking memory or some cheaper higher rated speed ram or dirt cheap, quality DDR2 800. Four GIG's of that will run you $234 after $240 in mail-in-rebates or $126 after $70 in mail-in-rebates respectively.

Graphics, you might go for an 8800 GTS right now and later install a second if you want SLI as one should run most if not all games with high settings currently.
    Last edited by spartan_phalanx; July 15, 2007 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aion2006 View Post
    Aion2006 SUMMER PC PLANNING

Ok so I told myself about 2 years ago. I should start saving and plan out to buy a NEW PC. Now that I saved enough money. Its time to built myself a new PC. First off is planning. It seem that AMD and Intel is dropping there price around July 29! Seem like a good time. Sadly I already spend 500$ on a PS3 Price DROP! ROFL

Ok I can spend a good amount of $ but nothing too expensive! ($900 Intel Core EXTREME). I'm a gamer so I'll look toward visual and preformance. I'm a bit new in computer but I learn as much as I can. I'm hoping to play M2:TW on ultra high and Crysis on High.

The TWC help me pick out my awesome Monitor. Hopfully I can get much advice here as well!

Plan So Far...

-Case: Huge ATX case (Already got it)
    -Motherboard: EVGA 680i deluxe or should I get the EVGA 650i?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188013
    -Video Card: N/A I want a good SLI for Medieval 2 and Crysis
    -Sound Card: My X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    -Power: This seem good:
    -Processor: Not really an AMD fan though I know much gamer enjoy it. What I read seem Intel C2D seem faster.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003
    -Ram: N/A Not sure. All I know is I want 2-4gb

Could anybody give me some advice if my buy is good or down right horrible. I'll take any advice and take into consideration.

My total fund for a PC is around $1,000-$2,000 bucks lol base on my custom built for Dell. I just don't want to super expensive SLI 8800 gtx card or those Quad Extreme Precessor. Too much...

Much help is need. Thank you in advance!
    Everything looks good. I'm pretty sure you can save some money on the mobo though, $200 is wayy too much.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813141002

Here's the "LT" version of the 680i, pretty much the exact same thing without the heatpipe northbridge heatsink.