Page 1 of 86 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: ME3: How did you like the ending: ALERT SPOILER!

Default ME3: How did you like the ending: ALERT SPOILER!

ALERT
    Before you read this I wish to inform you that other posters including myself may spill some sensitive info....I ask that before you post any spoilers...plz do so in a spoiler box...thank you

NOW then......a short story before the question

I actually lost sleep over the ending of ME3.....as I found the ending to be maddening.....sad...depressing...etc etc.....

I had expected at least the option of a "perfect" heroic ending befitting the end of the trilogy but after the ending I felt as if my girlfriend just told me she was actually a man right as I proposed....

Now before I continue.....the question

To those who have finished Mass Effect 3....what did you think of the ending

Check this daily

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...dex/10084349/1
    Last edited by Okuto; March 20, 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Eikki's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: ME3: How did you like the ending: ALERT SPOILER!

Firstly, the endings are a blatant copy paste from the first Deus Ex. Destroy is siding with Tong ending, Merge is merge with helios ending and control is bringing the illuminati back to power by using the technology.

Secondly, the endings itself aren't that bad...hell you can even save shepard in the destroy ending. Its just the way it was executed: Why do they force the normandy to crash on deliverance planet? Why are the reapers killing organics so they wont build synthetics to kill organics? what the hell? Its just cheap drama thrown in DA2 style for the sake of appearing dark and edgy. Some people will like them, but once again Bioware give us the illusion of choice where really nothing you do matters. Would it be that hard to have the normandy crash on earth in one of the endings? How about some closure huh.

The ending seemed really retarded. RDR was the last game with a good ending I've played lately, geez.

I had expected at least the option of a "perfect" heroic ending befitting the end of the trilogy but after the ending I felt as if my girlfriend just told me she was actually a man right as I proposed....
    Lol. +Rep. Totally agree with your points.
    Last edited by beckyolt; March 09, 2012 at 05:36 AM.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eikki View Post
    Firstly, the endings are a blatant copy paste from the first Deus Ex. Destroy is siding with Tong ending, Merge is merge with helios ending and control is bringing the illuminati back to power by using the technology.

Secondly, the endings itself aren't that bad...hell you can even save shepard in the destroy ending. Its just the way it was executed: Why do they force the normandy to crash on deliverance planet? Why are the reapers killing organics so they wont build synthetics to kill organics? what the hell? Its just cheap drama thrown in DA2 style for the sake of appearing dark and edgy. Some people will like them, but once again Bioware give us the illusion of choice where really nothing you do matters. Would it be that hard to have the normandy crash on earth in one of the endings? How about some closure huh.
    cough use spoiler tags cough.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It actually kinda makes the reapers seem like the ultimate eco-terrorists. I guess they start with the idea that sufficiently advanced organic life will create synthetic life, that synthetic life will find itself obliterating all organic life, ergo the reapers destroy advanced organic life so other forms of life can at least sorta kinda have a chance until (they themselves are snuffed out.), while they "preserve" the advanced organics in the form of new reapers.

So, on one hand, it sorta kinda makes sense, but on the other hand, it's still kinda utterly horrifying, since according to the in-game lore, the reapers have "processing ships" and camps and such, where they herd sentients, liquefying them en masse out of view of other prisoners.

I was, however, a little confused what the normandy was doing travelling between two relays? I thought it was kinda right by earth?

My biggest gripe, though, as mentioned above, is the complete lack of closure. It really just is a jump to an undisclosed point in the future set in a scene from an image you can find on google.

What's the point of a huge spoiler warning if we have to go through the trouble of spoiler boxes? Screw that.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Eikki's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    What's the point of a huge spoiler warning if we have to go through the trouble of spoiler boxes? Screw that.
    For once I agree with you...

Just finished and it was a crappy solution all round. I went with the middle. Dam not the ending I was hoping for. it was quite hinted at though.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

To the OP: You really don't need spoiler boxes when the thread title is "How did you like the ending" and has a giant spoiler warning in it.

I haven't played nor intend to buy the game (Origin has made my purchase a no), but since I had to know how the series I loved would end i've ended up watching the endings. I'd imagine some of you might instantly dismiss my opinion, but that's your choice.

Now, I don't actually have a problem with the endings (even if they are a bit cliche and half copied from Deus Ex). I actually applaud Bioware for having the balls to have endings where bad stuff happens instead of "the Reapers explode into pixie dust and everyone lived happily ever after". What I do find silly is how they're told. There's no epilogue, no nice conclusion explaining what happened to your companions or what happens to humanity (or any other race) beyond a short clip of Earth. Instead you get virtually the same movie clip with different colour lights. That's just not a conclusion, that's being lazy. Plus, it seems no matter what you do (which I might be wrong in, considering i've only got youtube to rely on) your crew get stranded on random planet and have zero dialog. Now, I don't even care that they'd get stranded every single time, but no dialog? Nothing? Do any of them even know what the heck just happened?

Let's put it this way. In Dragon Age Origins, the endings are all fairly obvious and none of them are really special. But the game concludes, because it details not only exactly how all your companions feel, but what they plan to do, and what a bunch of random npcs plan to do! It shows you exactly what consequences your actions have had. There's just nothing even coming close to this sort of closure with ME3's endings.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    But the game concludes, because it details not only exactly how all your companions feel, but what they plan to do, and what a bunch of random npcs plan to do! It shows you exactly what consequences your actions have had. There's just nothing even coming close to this sort of closure with ME3's endings.
    This is exactly what I lost sleep over.....

I kept thinking what happened to my party members....
    I wanted to see.....

Jacob raising his family
    Miranda on the run with her sister
    Garsus drinking at the bar and getting a position in the empire
    Wrex and his 1000 kids
    The Quarians "unpacking" alongside the geth
    Aria butchering her way through omega

etc etc.....didn't get any closure....and now I suspect....

Bioware will give us the rest of the "ending" via dlc or patch?

Cause damn I'd pay for the chance at a happy ending....a great big statue of me...get to see my shep build a family...etc etc....

Another gripe was the ending battle felt a little shallow....I kinda wanted to see all the forces I gathered up...not just the krogan, turians, asari....

I wanted to see elcor with rocket launchers strapped to their backs! or the batarians give a rage fueled speech....so many messed chances......
    Last edited by Okuto; March 09, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

To the OP: You really don't need spoiler boxes when the thread title is "How did you like the ending" and has a giant spoiler warning in it.
    To wit: the thread is the spoiler box.

Now, I don't actually have a problem with the endings (even if they are a bit cliche and half copied from Deus Ex). I actually applaud Bioware for having the balls to have endings where bad stuff happens instead of "the Reapers explode into pixie dust and everyone lived happily ever after". What I do find silly is how they're told. There's no epilogue, no nice conclusion explaining what happened to your companions or what happens to humanity (or any other race) beyond a short clip of Earth. Instead you get virtually the same movie clip with different colour lights. That's just not a conclusion, that's being lazy. Plus, it seems no matter what you do (which I might be wrong in, considering i've only got youtube to rely on) your crew get stranded on random planet and have zero dialog. Now, I don't even care that they'd get stranded every single time, but no dialog? Nothing? Do any of them even know what the heck just happened?
    That's what happened in Mass Effect 1. It was always ever only a question of who'd be standing with you.
    Last edited by Gaidin; March 09, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

IT is.......but some like to put spoiler boxes anyways so I laid that option out....I'm certainly not doing it but others are open to it

Didn't like how there is no follow up with any of your companions or what happens to the galaxy

Never mind that the relays appear to be destroyed no matter the choice, when I'm pretty sure the kid-god-thing says they'll only be destroyed in the kill the reapers/synthetics option.

And with the relays destroyed all the aliens you gathered for the battle are basically stuck on Earth. "Oh hey Quarians I helped you reclaim your homeworld but I blew up the mass relays so you can't go back home now"

Quote Originally Posted by ML101 View Post
    And with the relays destroyed all the aliens you gathered for the battle are basically stuck on Earth. "Oh hey Quarians I helped you reclaim your homeworld but I blew up the mass relays so you can't go back home now"
    Well nobody ever said it would all go right or end conveniently. Just that it would end, one way or another.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    That's what happened in Mass Effect 1. It was always ever only a question of who'd be standing with you.
    You're right. ME1's, and even ME2's endings are poor and brief, but those can be partly looked over since they serve partially to set up a sequel (especially in ME2, when the ending is basically "Reapers are still coming *PANS TO REAPER FLEET*"). Again, this isn't ideal, but I can overlook the "meh" ending in those games somewhat. Half of the reason to play ME3 though is to see how the trilogy you've loved ends. That's why it's a bit insulting to not give any closure at all.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

It boggles my mind how much effort got put into parts of this game, and how little attention other bits got. Hell, Tali's face is photoshopped stock model photo. That post-credits landscape? Google "winter space".

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

The ending sucked because it wasn't an ending, it didn't put closure on anything. In fact, it just gave us more questions than answers. Feels like I'm watching Lost all over again.

Many people seem to think that Shepard was hallucinating for the last 15 minutes of the game after he was attacked by the Harbinger. I hope it's true, and there's a lot of evidence to support it as well.

IMO, I think this ending was a delay tactic used by Bioware because they weren't sure how to end the series when they were developing the game. So they make Shepard hallucinate for the last 15 minutes of the game so they release a (hopefully free) DLC with the true ending. The DLC will probably start with Shepard waking up after he was attacked by Harbinger.
    Last edited by Imperial; March 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

You know I prefer the "original ending" they had before they changed it when it leaked on the internet: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/so...ers.250066288/
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME2.

The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of it's genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

The original final choice was going to be "Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left" or "Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means."
    At least with this ending there is some relevance to the other games such as why Tali was on Haestrom in ME2 to study the dying star due to dark energy and not this Matrix reloaded ending..
    Last edited by ML101; March 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Didn't read any of these posts . Just wanted to say how the **** have you beat the game already? Do some sidequests!

Page 1 of 86 12345678910112651 ... LastLast