Thread: Morale

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Morale

(I wasn't sure if this went in the questions thread. Feel free to put it there.)

Alright. Well, I just finished my battle against Hannibal (Great fight, by the way.) and I noticed something. His troops, just..... Would. Not. Rout. No matter what I did, they never got lower than "Steady." I eventually won when he only had a couple hundred troops left, and I cought him between my allies and my general and killed him. Then the rest broke and ran.

My question is, are all fights going to be like this? I prefer not to have to kill every single one of my enemy's troops. It seems un-realistic.

Or is this just a special case, what with it being Hannibal?
    Last edited by ♘Top Hat Zebra; March 07, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Default Re: Morale

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post

My question is, are all fights going to be like this? I prefer not to have to kill every single one of my enemie's troops. It seems un-realistic.

Or is this just a special case, what with it being Hannibal?
    Welp if you try to win all your battles with infantry grindowns and no flanking or cavalry charges then yes, all your battles will be at least 40 minutes long.

This isn't vanilla dude, where the units would break when their numbers barely started to go down. Here you have to resort to hammer & anvil tactics, hunting down their general, and whatnot in order to win a battle.
    "By what right does the wolf judge the lion?"

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Hannibal is a 10 star general with Veteran troops. Do the math.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramatic Cat View Post
    Welp if you try to win all your battles with infantry grindowns and no flanking or cavalry charges then yes, all your battles will be at least 40 minutes long.

This isn't vanilla dude, where the units would break when their numbers barely started to go down. Here you have to resort to hammer & anvil tactics, hunting down their general, and whatnot in order to win a battle.

I slammed into the back of some peltasts until there was ONE GUY left.

One guy. He was "eager."

I haven't played vanilla in years, but I have played Med2, Empire, NTW, Shogun, all modded.

I have never fought a battle where I had to kill every last unit on the enemy's side.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

The short answer is no, not every battle is like this. However some, with veteran elite troops and a high star general will be difficult, Hannibal is one such but you will get others where the right tactics will cause them to run screaming for the hills in a very satisfactory manner.

Leeham991's Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

When I fought Hannibal I opened up his line, then sent a shock troop in and took him out. The rest of his army didn't stick around too much longer.
    I like pie.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

As other have noted, the reason the battle with Hannibal is so hard is because he is a great General, and his troops all have major bonuses. That will not be the case with others.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by Dramatic Cat View Post

To be honest against Hannibal this doesn't do much to his troops. The way I find is most effective is slingers from the flank and pilum charges from behind. But other than missiles and mass cavalry charges into the enemies backs nothing much routs the enemy that quickly. I find that one or two units of cavalry is not enough for an effective charge so they are left screening my outflanking infantry and missile units.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Hannibal is a 10 star general with Veteran troops. Do the math.
    This is pretty much why. Massive morale and combat bonuses for his troops means a difficult fight for your men.

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    I slammed into the back of some peltasts until there was ONE GUY left.

One guy. He was "eager."

I haven't played vanilla in years, but I have played Med2, Empire, NTW, Shogun, all modded.

I have never fought a battle where I had to kill every last unit on the enemy's side.
    You are going to enjoy fighting the elite Macedonian units then

But don't worry you'll get used to it and then it will be easy.
    Last edited by Lord Uxbridge; March 08, 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Foederatus

When i first switched from RTW to RS2 i thought the fights last way too long. i felt like units didnt kill as fast because everyone has good defensive stats and that they didnt rout fast enough because everyone had such high morale. however after a few battles i began to like it because you can implement tactics that you couldnt before because units (yours and theirs) routed too quickly. overall i feel like battles are much more fun and realistic in RS2 compared to RTW. As soon as you start experimenting with some tactics of your own you will start noticing that you can cause some units to rout immediately if certain conditions are met before your cav charge or pilla shower or what have you.

on a side note i tried playing RTW the other day and stopped playing 2 minutes into the first battle when half the enemy routed before i could flank them. wheres the fun in that?