Thread: DM won't start Shogun2

Icon9 DM won't start Shogun2

Ok, I have the typical "sits on the splash screen, only to stop working and CTD" problem when starting the game via the DMLauncher.
    1.I have installed DM with ADMIN permission, I run it with Admin permission, and I restarted my pc after installation.
    2. I have the latest build and v of Shogun 2. V. 1.1.0 Build 4768.314775. I have verified my game cache and I only run the launcher after Steam has launched.
    3. I have uninstalled and reinstalled DM.
    4. I have deleted my Clientregistry.blob
    5. I have deleted the folders in %appdata%.
    6. I have tried everything i've read that Darth Vader recommends as well as others, but to no avail. The game simply will not run past flash screen if started from the Launcher.

However, unlike many others, I AM able to suffer a CTD, and yet, if I click "Play" on steam, Shogun 2 loads up. Here is where I am confused:

Although the DM Launcher fails to launch shogun, when I play Shogun, I immediately notice that unit size has been set to small, and yet the units are much larger. I have also noticed that the unit cards DO look different now. So, I can see that at least some of DM is up and running, despite the fact that the launcher fails to start Shogun 2. So, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can make the Launcher actually launch Shogun 2?
    2. I know that at least some parts of DM have installed correctly to Shogun, however, being paranoid about the failure of the launcher, I am unsure of just how much of DM is installed and up and running. Anyone know?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Default Re: DM won't start Shogun2

BUMP

1. I find it weird that the game launches normally for you through Steam, but not through the DM Launcher. Theorteically, the launcher shortcut should launch the game the same method the Steam shortcut does...

2. If you go to your
    Code:
    steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\data
    folder, you can see which mods are installed. They should be in the form of .pack files, and most of them (not all) should have either DMS_ or darthmod_ in their names.

Files in the data folder should theoretically be automatically started with the game.

As for the unit sizes set to "small" in the game options, this is default for Darthmod. For a more complete explanation on the matter, head over here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=527283

If you complete all the settings in the launcher but instead of pressing PLAY you double click the official shortcut does the game load well for you?

Sorry for the lateness of my reply.

Lonewolf80- I found that strange as well. Thats why I assumed something about the launcher wasn't loading properly and that I was perhaps only getting a portion of the mod installed. However, I looked in data and there are about 8 or so files with DMS, etc. So, I guess thats good.

Lord Vader- I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I can say this: If I choose all of the settings, and then I start the game from steam instead, it loads just fine. If I choose the settings and run the game from the desktop shortcut, it runs fine. If I choose the settings and run the game from the DMS launcher, it CTD's.

im having the same problem.

i havent played shogun in weeks but SG2 wont even load now, either with the launcher or steam.

im running DM 3.2. would i be right in assuming that the latest shogun update has screwed up my game?

You would be correct.

People are working on it as we speak, hopefully we get a fix sometime soon, in the meantime, I am going to play DMUC.

so is my save permanently screwed then? dammit.

so ive uninstalled DM, re-verified the steam files and still SG wont load. turns out the new update has somehow borked my game.

currently re-downloading the whole thing to see if that helps.

New update is available. Uninstall DarthMod, install v3.4 and then patch v3.45.

Hey Darth. The steam client is always open when I run the launcher. BTW, i've patched the mod since the latest SG2 patch, and it runs, but the general's balloon thing is back, but the unit sizes remain. Alas, it still will not start as it should from the launcher. But I do appreciate your help. Very few modders take such an avid interest in helping people with their mods. You are deserving of all the respect i've heard for you around the web.

I had already installed that patch but I guess it didn't work. It worked the next time I ran shogun though lol. Anyways, my game still will not start from the DM launcher. I have tried everything i've already mentioned and more. I can't imagine what could possibly be stopping it.

I installed 3.4, and then the 3.5 patch - did not have any previous mods/editions. When I try to use the launcher I get the same problem, hangs then crashes. My unit sizes appear larger, I have no trails on my arrows, but garrisons are vanilla and I have horo on my generals.

The game loads fine from the standard steam shortcut, but all features are definitely not enabled.

Iscariott: yep, that has always been my problem.

@ Darthmod- Hey brother, i've tried all of those previously mentioned things; any idea on what else I can do? Thanks again man.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona2172 View Post
    Iscariott: yep, that has always been my problem.

@ Darthmod- Hey brother, i've tried all of those previously mentioned things; any idea on what else I can do? Thanks again man.

I've found that the launcher Darth provides with his mod isn't user friendly and buggy for launching the game.. What you can do to get around this is download the alternative launcher by Lonewolf which seems to work fairly well. No issues yet with..

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=532885 Theres a link to the topic as well as make sure you follow the instructions carefully..

@thranton---- dude, I think i'm going to name my firstborn after you. It worked! The only downside is that, even with the Horos off option, they are still there. But hey, at least it starts and runs Darth's awesome mod. It does seem like it runs better now as well. Thanks again!