Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Perfect Empire TW would be...?

Default Re: My Perfect Empire TW would be...?

Some amazing suggestions here gentlemen (and ladies if any). If only CA had hired you all for brainstorming this game when they were wrapping up Medieval II.

A few suggestions if I may.

-Im all for a world map, ive been waiting for it since Rome, but I think it would have to include some kind of a day/night system. It would be weird, everyone moving at the same time, all over the world. Not sure how that would work though.

-This sounds petty, but bring back the city viewer from Rome! I loved building a great city, then checking out my monuments and buildings with the battle cam. More variety for the city would be nice though: Guards marching, beggers, traders, town criers. In Rome, people just walked around.

-OBJECTIVES!! Empire had none (save America of course). Shogun 2 has a pretty good variety though.

-Family trees (easy to add and not necessary for Republics).
    “flaming javelins.”

~ Adolf Hitler, Berlin 1945, when asked how to hold off the Russians

Taraphir's Avatar Semisalis

And now for something completely different:
    Depending on training, experience and supply the appearance of soldiers within a regiment should vary.
    Soldiers of an untrained and well-fed(supplied) unit for example would then tend to look a bit more corpulent.
    The enclosed thumbnail is not meant to be offending to annyone.
    Last edited by Taraphir; April 23, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Come late in the Campaign I imagine that is what most pf my troops would look like.

=Prince Nuada='s Avatar Semisalis

The caption should read "I ain't taking that ridge unless there's a Krispy Creme on the other side!"
    Open up this guy's webbing and you'll find jellybeans.
    Last edited by =Prince Nuada=; April 25, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

РОССИЯ | PREUßEN | ÖSTERREICH

Quote Originally Posted by =Prince Nuada= View Post
    The caption should read "I ain't taking that ridge unless there's a Krispy Cream on the other side!"
    Open up this guy's webbing and you'll find jellybeans.
    You made me roar with laughter. Thanks!!!

I would like to see much more variation in the physiognomy of individual soldiers.
    for example soldiers should differ from each other in height and build.

DeValiere's Avatar Biarchus
    Not sure, but there's gravity so that's a good start...

Quote Originally Posted by Taraphir View Post
    I would like to see much more variation in the physiognomy of individual soldiers.
    for example soldiers should differ from each other in height and build.
    It would be nice to see that. I suppose to a degree this gets back to the old question of development times - would there be a lot of extra work in implementing this? I'd certainly like more variation across the board from uniform appearance to size, height etc. Tattered and soiled uniforms on soldiers that had been in the field would be another nice feature. You could argue it's just eye candy, but it does help with immersion for me.
    Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. ..And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"-- with his mouth.
    Mark Twain - What Is Man?

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Yeah I don't want the developers to spent time on such things at the expense of others either, but then again this thread is meant to discuss a *perfect* Empire: Total War, so we can imagine ourselves to be in a vacuum of sorts

DeValiere's Avatar Biarchus
    Not sure, but there's gravity so that's a good start...

Yeah, daydreaming is free. Have to add that I picked up Mount & Blade few weeks back and have messed around a bit with Warband. I can see now that suggestions about extending the First Person elements of FoTS to include cavalry or a hero unit of some sort could be awesome. More so if we return to Rome or similar for the next game. For a perfect Empire, I wouldn't object to being able to take direct control of a Cuirassier and deal some damage...
    Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. ..And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"-- with his mouth.
    Mark Twain - What Is Man?

dardy's Avatar Laetus

I'd like to see different "theatres of war" for every country. Meaning that you would have the a lightly detailed campaign map but you could then soom into the different countries/regions and have a very detailed map with lots of provinces like in Shogun 2. Unfortunately I highly doubt this will happen as it would be too hard to implement, not to mention how big a game like that would be.

Oh, oh, oh!! Just had an idea!

PRIVATEERS
    • Privateers are a technology which may be researched by anyone with a trading port.
    • A privateer ship is a brig, sloop, galley &/or light galley upgraded to a Privateer (like an Admiral upgrade), but if so, any ship upgraded to a privateer may not be upgraded to an Admiral. The cost of the privateer upgrade is 25% the cost of the ship.
    • As long as they aren't in the same fleet as any non-privateer ships, privateers may attack any neutral ship/fleet without provoking war.
    • Privateers may not attack allied ships, but may not support/reinforce them either.
    • Privateers may join or support/reinforce your own fleets, but if they do they loose their privateer upgrade.
    • Privateers may raid trade routes and take other ship prize, but may not add captured ships to their fleet.
    Last edited by =Prince Nuada=; April 28, 2012 at 05:34 AM.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Oh, oh, oh!! Just had an idea!

PRIVATEERS
    • Privateers are a technology which may be researched by anyone with a trading port.
    • A privateer ship is a brig, sloop, galley &/or light galley upgraded to a Privateer (like an Admiral upgrade), but if so, any ship upgraded to a privateer may not be upgraded to an Admiral. The cost of the privateer upgrade is 25% the cost of the ship.
    • As long as they aren't in the same fleet as any non-privateer ships, privateers may attack any neutral ship/fleet without provoking war.
    • Privateers may not attack allied ships, but may not support/reinforce them either.
    • Privateers may join or support/reinforce your own fleets, but if they do they loose their privateer upgrade.
    • Privateers may raid trade routes and take other ship prize, but may not add captured ships to their fleet.
    Privateers are already added by Bethencourt in some of his Rebellion Shipyard versions. As only 6th rates if I remember. With more crew and stronger me thinks. Also galleons are divided into trading with 16 guns and war ones with 60 using same ship model.

Oh, ok. Cool.
    Can they attack neutral ships?

Privateer 6th Rates, Race-built Galleons, Brigs and Sloops would be cool!
    Last edited by =Prince Nuada=; April 28, 2012 at 07:46 AM.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Oh, ok. Cool.
    Can they attack neutral ships?
    In empire they are faction ships and cannot act on their own without declaring war on a nation.

Privateer 6th Rates, Race-built Galleons, Brigs and Sloops would be cool!
    There are some war sloops with increased crew I think but Empire does not allow to have ships of same model with more cannons, although in reality you could have for ex. 16, 18, 24 and 28 gun sloops. They have partially corrected this situation in NTW though. And increased crew ship means it will surrender far more difficult as in empire surrender option depends not on cannon ammount left but on crew left.
    Last edited by Dracula; April 28, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

DukeofBrunswick's Avatar Miles

Darthmod with improved AI would be perfect.
    Australia: A land of bronzed bodies and wonderful football.

This signature is a solemn promise that no new Call of Duty game shall be purchased by me until a new engine is produced for the game.

I'm not sure if I would need more regions, but I want larger and more detailed regions. In most places its just too easy to hope from one region capital to the other. Taking Paris shouldn't be just another domino in your way, it should be the epic conclusion to a hard fought campaign. I want to make choices on how to approach invading an enemy territory instead of just right-clicking the capital. Make it so armies move at a slow pace through the countryside but give them a large movement bonus on roads. Combine this with a supply and attrition system where armies in enemy territory suffer attrition unless they end their turn on an unblocked road or perhaps if they raid a farm or village. I think this would open up allot of strategic possibilities. Place your armies defensively on roads and other strategic paths to your capitals. When invading, end your turn in a hilly area to defend against counter-attacks. Use your spies to determine the location of enemy forces and take a path to circumvent them. Large stack knocking at your door during inclement weather? Destroy your roads and farms and let general winter take care of them. Basically I just want more choices to make when moving my armies on the strategic map that impacts their standing in tactical battles.

I certainly agree with you here.
    They should take the NTW map, expand to to the scope of ETW and add the pathfinding and AI of STW.
    This is what they are more likely to do.
    I don't expect to see radical changes in ETW2, but I do expect to see a lot of quality improvements based in CA's other successes.
    Notice the trend though: RTW, MTW, MTW2, ETW – all large scope games, ETW being the biggest! NTW – a similar scope to RTW or MTW but with a greater attention to detail. STW – a very narrow scope with high-functioning AI and graphics.
    As I said, if CA can combine the benefits of NTW and STW, ETW2 will be an awesome success!

I certainly agree with you here.
    They should take the NTW map, expand to to the scope of ETW and add the pathfinding and AI of STW.
    This is what they are more likely to do.
    I don't expect to see radical changes in ETW2, but I do expect to see a lot of quality improvements based in CA's other successes.
    Notice the trend though: RTW, MTW, MTW2, ETW – all large scope games, ETW being the biggest! NTW – a similar scope to RTW or MTW but with a greater attention to detail. STW – a very narrow scope with high-functioning AI and graphics.
    As I said, if CA can combine the benefits of NTW and STW, ETW2 will be an awesome success!

I would like to see more customisation in regard to equipment issued to individual regiments.
    The player could be given an option to choose between more or less expensive gear for his soldiers.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast