Thread: Reduce Prestige?

Default Reduce Prestige?

Anyway to reduce a nation's prestige (besides simply wiping it out?)

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Reduce Prestige?

I think prestige is linked with the techs they have, and then their wealth, army, navy and of course their territorial possessions. If you were to capture most of their colonies for example I imagine their prestige would take a considerable hit.

Semisalis

There are four categories that make up prestige: enlightenment, army, navy, and economy. I assume if you diminish any of the areas then that will take a prestige hit. Naval hospitals give you naval prestige, so destroying a naval hospital would lower the naval prestige. I dont know about things like techs though. Since you cant undo any techs, I assume its impossible to lower enlightenment prestige since that comes from the 3rd tech page (things like wealth of nations, rights of man, joint-stock companies, etc). You also get prestige for military and navy through techs too though, (like cadenced marching, light infantry tech, lime juice and sauerkraut, etc) so I assume you cant lower those either. I think that the only way to lower another nation's prestige would be to destroy large portions of their armies or navies, or destroy buildings that give prestige bonuses like palatial estates, steam powered cloth mills, naval hospitals, etc.

That's what I meant. Does capturing and/or destroying "Enhance prestige" structures reduce the prestige, or do they get that prestige ad infinitum?

MortenJessen's Avatar Campidoctor

As long as they have the said Naval Hospital, captured or not (you cant destroy what is not yours), it keeps its prestige as it is gained beforehand. Loosing the region were the NH is built in, does not lose prestige either, but it ends it adding to it, if you can follow me....
    What does cost prestige directly, is losing battles, having units (ships as well) utterly destroyed, losing special nation-unique buildings, rebelions in your capitol region, and a few other things...

get king carlos you lose 20 per turn