Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Perfect Empire TW would be...?

DeValiere's Avatar Biarchus
    Not sure, but there's gravity so that's a good start...

Icon5 My Perfect Empire TW would be...?

OK. My first thread!

This is DeValiere’s dream of a perfect Empire TW.

:::: The Dream ::::
    ===============

1.) No bugs!
    2.) Complete World Map, and I mean complete!
    3.) Napoleon TW Diplomacy and replenishment / supply / attrition features included, updated to encompass tropical / desert attrition etc
    4.) For the ultimate world map, a combined tech tree from Empire TW and Napoleon TW becoming available at more historically accurate dates
    5.) Napoleonic era units becoming available and replacing your earlier “Empire” units. Ideally some older units could be upgraded to their later versions (especially Line Infantry, Grenadiers and the like), others would have to be disbanded or maybe have to be taken to home region to be recycled / retrained... Not sure how it would work, but mere details will not get in the way of the dream!!!
    6.) Colonial troops for SE Asia, Australasia and Africa etc, and obviously indigenous factions for same... China could be EPIC!!!
    7.) Ability to sponsor resistance cells in occupied home regions of other factions and if rebellion is successful, the chance to become that nation's ally and lend it military and economic support.
    8.) Ability to also establish consulates in other nations, possibly via a new agent type. This would be with a view to act as a counter balance to other negative factors acting on your diplomatic standing with nations... Maybe even "no consulate, no trade deal" or something.

So, that’s my current dream of an ultimate Empire Total War and dreams are free after all.

What would YOUR perfect Empire TW be like?
    Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. ..And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"-- with his mouth.
    Mark Twain - What Is Man?

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Default Re: My Perfect Empire TW would be...?

5.) Napoleonic era units becoming available and replacing your earlier “Empire” units. Ideally some older units could be upgraded to their later versions (especially Line Infantry, Grenadiers and the like), others would have to be disbanded or maybe have to be taken to home region to be recycled / retrained... Not sure how it would work, but mere details will not get in the way of the dream!!!

I tend to drag my campaigns out for ages as I role play quite often in my games. I find it much more enjoyable than just simply trying to conquer the world. As a result my games tend to last until around 1840-50 or so. I only quit then because it just feels too weird to get to the mid-nineteenth century and still have troops wearing tricorns.

I know that there are clamors for a RTW II, but if I want an awesome RTW experience I just play Europa Barbarorum mod. The TW game of my dreams would be Victoria TW (or maybe call it Empire II: Total War as it would involve the great age of imperialism. I feel that NTW and the latest Shogun expansions are setting the stage for this as NTW allows you to 'liberate' countries (Which is arguably my favorite feature) and Shogun introduces the first modern machine gun into a TW game.

Should be interesting!

2.) Complete World Map, and I mean complete!

I'd play as Russia and on the first turn i'd completely remove my empire and settle them at Antarctica. I invite the Maratha Confederacy to come get me. I bet the attrition rate would be epic!

Taraphir's Avatar Semisalis

DeValiere came down from the mountains of fair New Zealand and hold in his hands the eight commandments.
    Brilliant suggestions DeValiere. After I have been elected Bundeskanzler of Germany I will initiate legislation
    in the european community that will enforce CA to comply to your excellent list. Of course SEGA will be
    penalized for non-compliance.
    Last edited by Taraphir; March 07, 2012 at 03:06 PM.

I rue the day Romania sold its soul to the European Union.

At least we don't have the euro

Some suggestions in all modesty:

- the maximum number of units a single army can have on the campaign map and in battle should be selectable
    by the player within a certain range ( perhaps 12 - 48 )

- the personality of faction leaders and ministers must influence CAI behaviour

- the timeline of the game should be extended to 1640 - 1820

- more provinces must be incorporated into the campaign map ( the home region of france should at least consist of 3-4 provinces)

Ai that dont act retared is the only thing i need.

Sharpe's Company's Avatar Campidoctor

If Empire came after Napoleon it would be the best game available to mankind.

Sadly going back to Empire like I do after playing Napoleon is like going back 5 years but it's actually only one year younger.
    Justice 4 Charlene
    #MoggMania
    #No2EU

Quote Originally Posted by Taraphir View Post
    Some suggestions in all modesty:

- the maximum number of units a single army can have on the campaign map and in battle should be selectable
    by the player within a certain range ( perhaps 12 - 48 )

- the personality of faction leaders and ministers must influence CAI behaviour

- the timeline of the game should be extended to 1640 - 1820

- more provinces must be incorporated into the campaign map ( the home region of france should at least consist of 3-4 provinces)
    Yes, that sounds good - 1640 start date with all the units of the day... ooh... that would be nice...

I must confess that I'd like to see an Americas campaign starting even earlier - the age of discovery and conquest would be awesome! Although... not sure how you'd replicate the wiping out of that many people... plagues would have to make a comeback to make it accurate I guess.
    Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. ..And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"-- with his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Taraphir View Post
    DeValiere came down from the mountains of fair New Zealand and hold in his hands the eight commandments.
    Brilliant suggestions DeValiere. After I have been elected Bundeskanzler of Germany I will initiate legislation
    in the european community that will enforce CA to comply to your excellent list. Of course SEGA will be
    penalized for non-compliance.
    How did you know I have a beard? Not that I'm comparing myself to any biblical characters... well, mostly not.

And given all the things governments do legislate against, why not? That would be priceless!

Good luck with the election...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe's Company View Post
    If Empire came after Napoleon it would be the best game available to mankind.

Sadly going back to Empire like I do after playing Napoleon is like going back 5 years but it's actually only one year younger.
    Agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by DeValiere View Post
    How did you know I have a beard? Not that I'm comparing myself to any biblical characters... well, mostly not.
    I have a beard too and also more suggestion:

- the structure of the programm should be more friendly to modding purposes
    - this thread deserves more attention because Dreams sometimes come true/ more attendance please ladies and gentlemen
    Last edited by Taraphir; March 09, 2012 at 01:49 PM.

Flikitos's Avatar Campidoctor

For the units, we (the IS team) are working on replacing all the vanilla's units by new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Flikitos View Post
    For the units, we (the IS team) are working on replacing all the vanilla's units by new ones.
    Thanks to your work and that of many others real unit variability has been brought to Empire Total War.
    I hope also that the modding community can further improve the CAI and BAI of the game.

Let's face it, beards are cool. And yes - thank you to Flikitos and everyone working on Empire to make it better.

I believe the government where I live is intending to tax dreams - but only those of poor people as they have more money to spend than rich people.

(I'm in one of those moods today, sorry).

I think Creative Assemblys policy in regard to product support should be more enduring.
    The customers who bought for instance Empire Total War in god faith could justifiably
    demand patching, support and information to be operated in a far more constant and sustainable manner
    than it had actually happend in reality. In my opinion SEGA and CA coldheartedly abandoned ETW.
    It is certainly a idle dream that they change and improve their general policy albeit it would be beneficial
    for both costumer and producer.

Tis the pursuit of profit I'm afraid. And, while there are many businesses in this world that do understand that reputation is a valuable asset, others do not and strive purely to increase revenue - or are under sufficient pressure from their owners that they have no other choice.

I think that it would be a disservice to lay too much blame at the feet of the employees at CA - maybe even the management there. Can't see that they would be wanting their name associated with bad product, but ultimately they are beholding to SEGA, and that's where things have gone awry IMO. Personally, I also think that they bit off more than they could chew with Empire - at least within the time constraints they were working under. Every day that the game was in development or testing was another day of overheads for CA and SEGA without return on investment and at some point that was always going to become an issue. While it would have been easier and faster for the programmers at CA to work on fully completing Empire themselves given their innate knowledge of the warscape engine, it would have taken them too long to address all the bugs and issues we know so well. And so Empire was pushed out to get the cash flowing in. Patches followed fixing most of the glaringly obvious issues, but then they were moved on to the next release, and the next, and the next... all in pursuit of profit rather than reputation. How much fan demand for the release of Empire played in all this, impossible to know.

I would argue that in the gaming business, reputation is a very valuable commodity, a tangible asset if you will. The question then is: Is the financial harm that is done to a well known and respected franchise when it releases a bad or unfinished game (through lower sales) worth pushing that game to sale before it is ready? What ultimately harms the long term business more - an early release of an incomplete game that hurts sales or delaying release to get it right and having to endure the extra costs involved?

Given what the answer seems to be from SEGA, sorry to say that I can't see them ever allowing there to be ongoing support for older games - it's not their focus.

Me? Pessimistic? Never!

Markmilan's Avatar Civis

1. Better diplomacy
    2. Worldwide Map (but game kept on a turn based system)
    3. Bigger variety of units
    4. More provinces (definately for France and Spain - would also like to see Wales)
    5. Line infantry should only be recruitable in European theatres or USA
    6. Same for ships of the line
    7. Grenadiers same sized units as line infantry
    8. Would be good if have late campaign (or longer game) so had industrial revolution, railways to research etc
    9. Ability to liberate like in NTW
    10. Unit supply/replacement as per Napoleon
    11. Real historical figures as per Napoleon (great to have Nelson, Wellington, Ney etc)
    12. Units suffering/losing men if you're in an inhospitable location i.e. trying to invade Russia in the Winter
    13. The missing Carribbean Islands added
    14. More Pirates
    15. The ability to change a town/port as you can in Napoleon

Thats all I can think of for the moment!
    Last edited by Markmilan; March 13, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmilan View Post
    14. More Pirates
    Ha! Yes - that would be cool and if it was a world map you could add Pirates to Asian waters and Africa... All your points were good though.
    Last edited by DeValiere; March 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

I would also like to see weather events to influence the agricultural output of an economy.
    And a non-steam version of Empire Total War would also be very much welcomed. I can say in all honesty
    that here in Germany I know not even one Empire Total War player who would not gladly dispense of this
    unnecessary ballast called the steam engine. It is as needless as a goitre especially since CA decided
    not to patch Empire in a timely manner but instead delivered monstrous 500 MB download orgies in far too long intervals.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast