Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Forum Community Campaign

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Re: Forum Community Campaign

Too much pressure perhaps. Dont worry about making mistakes, clearing up the mistakes will be half the fun.

Meanwhile we can relax all the turn taking restrictions and only use them if turn taking demand is higher.
    Last edited by Byg; March 08, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

The people who play BGR probably don't frequent here often.

Hello , i will take the 3rd turn!!!!

So here it is
    March 1220 turn 3

I have accepted adoption since we will need generals
    I have made trade rights with Aragon and Venice (we had a mission for trade rights for venice)
    Lutold Durer moving to Metz
    Dietrich von Sachsen made Administrator and moving to Frankfurt.
    Emperor moving to Bern
    Groningen in danger of rioting ! 80%
    Oh and i attacked the rebel stack in the central with the general from Nureburg.(risky).
    Last edited by granazis; March 08, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Careful with adoptions... since nobles cost more than they produce for a long time it raises debt. Otherwise I hope one more person will volunteer to make a turn soon!

I can start to play some turns, probs not this one though, but ill need another install of SS and to DL the new BGR, ive only ever really played BGR IV. So give me some time

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Patrician

Hi, you only need another SS install if you have modded it beyond the SS installer options, but you probably know that.

EDIT:

Am taking the turn as there is not much more to do at the moment other than move characters and redistribute land holdings.
    Last edited by Byg; March 10, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Patrician

Save Uploaded April 1220

Winter bites deeply still and troops are making slow progress in the deep snow. None-the-less all being well, forces may arrive to besiege Milan by mid summer?

Debt 12- 13 thousand. (-4000 probably due to adoption of new general last turn).

Suggest no more adoptions, to encourage fertility of royal line.

Diplomacy
    Attempted sicilian alliance and trade. Denied. Hope to try trade only next month.
    Trade deal reached with Genoa
    Best diplomat and princess now heading for Rome for possible attempt at reconcilliation.

Orders in operation
    Centralised Command (only WCs can attack in foreign lands)
    Chivalric code (the FL has 6 chivalry so orders all other Nobles that future prisoners be released and settlements only occupied, not sacked or exterminated - on pain of Banishment!)
    I suggest when the Emperor next fights that he reverses this by slaughtering and sacking as much as possible.

Zeal still heading down - currently 80% religion required to recruit the best. Loyalty dropping overall in line with zeal.

Administrator of Frankfurt receives War Council status. This is then handed back to the Emperor and with this concentration of power the emperor should slightly increase his authority. Useful whilst excommunicated.

Admin of Frankfurt also joins with spy agent to possibly deter marriage or bribery by nearby demanding French princess.

Troop Dispositions
    Sent small amount of troops from Salzburg to Innsbruck. Met half way by Lord of Innsbruck to main discipline en route. Then hopefully on to meet FL with no more than 3 or 4 units of the best of his men to ensure discipline.

Lord of Nuremburg heading to FL to submit his estate deeds to the central authority.

FL seizes Bern from local lord to bring it under central authority, hopefully boosting the central military service pool out of deficit.
    Last edited by Byg; March 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Judeman266's Avatar Senator

@Byg

Do you think we should allow each general to do 3 months in order to speed things up?

Patrician

Sure. I'm in no hurry, but why not. I just changed the rules. It probably makes for better continuity too.
    Last edited by Byg; March 13, 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Do you have to change some settings to watch battle replays? I've never tried to do that since SS 6.1 but there are no replays folders in any of my installs.

Patrician

Mine is at mods/ss6.3/replays

Had some weird CTD a couple times right when its about to be the next turn the first one I had to unplug my computer it wouldn't respond otherwise- Looks like a Germanicus script error possibly.

BTW- to create a battle replay I guess you are supposed to open console and enter, save_battle_replay 'name you give the battle' without the ' to create a battle replay. Well now I know that again.

Notes- took the 3 turns and nothing of note happened the first 2 turns aside from another faction's Princess tried to steal a general but was disgraced and agreed to trade rights with Sicily.

Attempted to bribe Pope for peace but was not willing to pay more than 1 region he demanded to make offer "Generous" although it might require more than that as a diplomat traveling out of Italy met a Polish diplomat and with giving trade rights and Alliance offer the Polish were "Generous" but turned us down harshly.

Moved the fleet near Antwerp around close to come into Italian waters in case we need a ship and with the debt we have we couldn't hire one. Either that or disband it at this point.

30,000+ in debt now.

Took a risk and laid siege to Milan with FL and a few cavalry. The only reason it was a risk was due to the 2 units of Sicilio-Norman knights... I normally play on Large units and forgot how long cavalry take to turn on Huge and also with a fresh reload I did not have my key bindings set so we took higher losses than I estimated.

Just before exiting Alps passes I had transferred Administrator and WC to a general despite risk of loss of Authority by FL because its not a good idea to keep everything in 1 basket when invading and the WC restores the general's loyalty despite abysmal zeal. I had thought to attack Genoa directly after capturing Milan and sent that general further south with majority of the army in preparation for such an attack as spy indicated it was possible to defeat Genoa army and the garrison inside in a single battle but Genoa is allied to Poland- too big a risk to draw Poland to a very lightly defended border while also likely lowering standing with Pope which is very tenuous. Moved Heir out of Bologna to command cavalry sent ahead from Milan while the WC general moved to cut through Venetian territory and down to Pisa to attack under the Heir. FL remained in Milan as the city is rebellious without his presence and Milan might be helpful under central command for now.

There is a mission to capture Pisa and by the time that occurs hopefully the fleet will be near enough to board and travel down the coast and end the current Pope's miserable life at which point the HRE supported anti-pope will hopefully become Pope or at least the excommunication will end and we can carefully take the rest of Italy.
    Last edited by Ichon; March 13, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Patrician

I forgot to tell you. Look for replays here C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\temp

then you can a make a folder for replays here: mods/ss6.3/replays. put your replay in there to access it via load game, then load replays.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...ys-is-possible

We haven't had a BGRV related ctd yet, just battle ctds in older versions of RBBAI so it will be interesting to see what the cause is when you send your log.

PS.

Nice victory.

Regarding those battered cavalry:
    Retraining costs the same manpower as training so unless you have tons of manpower and a unit well worth retraining due to high experience it is best to disband them in a settlement that needs manpower or population or both and then make a new unit. This way you recycle manpower rather than pay again.
    Last edited by Byg; March 13, 2012 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byg View Post
    Regarding those battered cavalry:
    Retraining costs the same manpower as training so unless you have tons of manpower and a unit well worth retraining due to high experience it is best to disband them in a settlement that needs manpower or population or both and then make a new unit. This way you recycle manpower rather than pay again.
    I have 4 installs of MTW2... hmm- after a bit of looking I've found it I think but I can't load it to double check. The date and time are correct but when select it from inside the game get a CTD, I'll load it up see if you have any luck playing it. LOL Finally got it to load... that was a letdown. I don't remember it being so bad before but then it probably works better with infantry battles.

Well I wouldn't delete any cavalry right now until its less than 5 men. Can always chase routers between 5-10 and above 10 heavy cavalry can still charge archers etc to effect even on Huge. I find the current cavalry completely acceptable for another battle. The Norman knights and a volley by the crossbows are what beat them up so badly.
    Last edited by Ichon; March 13, 2012 at 03:25 AM.

Patrician

Replays are buggy. When I uploaded some in the BGR thread, some could play them others could not. If they crash due to some difference in install or game setup, then I don't know what the critical difference is.

Regarding the log: You need to enable full logging. Also, are you sure you did not start the game again since your ctd as the log does not show a ctd.

open default.cfg with notepad in ss6.3 and alter the [log] section to look like this:
    [log]
    to=mods/SS6.3/system.log.txt
    ;level=* error
    level=* trace
    Last edited by Byg; March 13, 2012 at 03:25 AM.

Yes I had to restart the first time from a hard shutdown unplugging the computer as it was not responsive to CTL ALT DEL or the power off button. The 2nd time CTL ALT DEL worked and could close MTW2 which showed still "running" it was not "not responding" which indicates an error Win 7 recognizes. Ok, I can enable full logging- I think I had that for awhile helping Meneth but when I reinstalled to get 6.4 working I forgot to do that again.

Patrician

Did that battle get us a "Major Victory" as well? We need 5 of those to get an an authority point. Looks like you are the man when it comes to cavalry battles.

I hope we don't lose any generals with armies now that the FL gave up the extra WC ancillary. That 1 authority point can be critical to rebellions - at least we know it is for unlead armies. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

In my single player Sicilian campaign I took out the Pope (and Rome) when his main army moved off to attack my settlement (my general with his small army saw the papal army approaching so he hopped into a ship, passed the papal army along the shore and besieged rome - too far for the papal army to return in time. It was a hard battle because of 2 papal guards. I would hate to have fought the whole army though.

Anyway, the pope would not accept peace and reconcilliation for less than 2 settlements. However, I instead allied Venice, his ally, by giving them 1 settlement (which was anyway being approached by the French) so he made peace. I'm still excomm, but it may turn out to be useful if we lose against Rome.
    Last edited by Byg; March 13, 2012 at 04:00 AM.

I am not sure about the Major victory- probably. Well there aren't many armies to move in the north for now but we need flexibility in the south badly. FL and Heir weren't enough so having 1 more trusted general at least for commanding armies so they don't rebel is what I was thinking of. There are 4 generals in N Italy so 1 can transfer if it comes to that but I left the general at Innsbruck stationary due to the loss of FL authority. I didn't want to chance an early war with Venice either or a drop in relations before the Pope is dealt with.

Patrician

Because we were earlier concerned about crusades, I just wanted to mention that in my other campaign I'm at turn 44 and no crusades called as yet.

I wonder if this has to do with me being excomm or the Pope not having a settlement or could it be that there have been crusades but when excomm you do not get alerted about them?